Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for July, 2012

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
My first reaction to the Return to Ravnica announcement was to recall the Great Designer Search 2 Utopia - monochromatic vs gold (or hybrid).  I didn't realize that the guilds were already destroyed.  But they weren't.  More Guild Wars then?  New personae, but same color alignments (not wedge)?  I was hoping for something along the lines of Guardian/Enemy of the Guildpact, some multicolor hate, some color wars, like protection from nonblack.  Well, I can still reasonably expect to see my second reaction to the announcement - Cities on Flame (with Rock n' Roll)...Which someone probably referenced, when Ravnica was first released.
Did you know? Plovers (charadriiform birds, generally "shorebirds") are coastal birds that feed on small vertebrates, invertebrates, and have a specially reinforced upper bill designed to help them pry open the shells of various mollusks and crustaceans (some are better or more adapted to this behavior than others). These are essentially birds that dwell on the shores of oceans/seas, rather than along rivers, lakes or ponds. Precisely not the environment Lorwyn proves itself to provide. As such, they are out of place, and an example of where Wizards did not do the research (likely, the name was chosen for aesthetic purposes).
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
After seeing the first sketch of Ranger's Path, it makes the final version look kind of weird, because the Elf is holding on to the air for balance.
Everything about this game points to us planeswalkers running around for hours during combat searching for mana sources while playing the most dangerous game.

I guess it's possible (and more acceptable for me), to think of Ranger's Path as knowledge, as locations of nearby Forests-- pre-exploring and familiarizing an areas' forests allows you to craft it into a spell, a mental mapping of the sources of mana. So when you tap into it, you instantly get access to an area's mana because somebody did the background work of identifying where it is in clumps.
After seeing the first sketch of Ranger's Path, it makes the final version kind of weird, because the Elf is holding on to the air for balance.

It does, a little bit. But I think it's okay; it just becomes a hand held out in the air for balance like a cat's tail or a tightrope-walker's pole.

Everything about this game points to us planeswalkers running around for hours during combat searching for mana sources while playing the most dangerous game.

I guess it's possible (and more acceptable for me), to think of Ranger's Path as knowledge, as locations of nearby Forests-- pre-exploring and familiarizing an areas' forests allows you to craft it into a spell, a mental mapping of the sources of mana. So when you tap into it, you instantly get access to an area's mana because somebody did the background work of identifying where it is in clumps.

Unless it is not the planeswalker himself who is doing the "cultivating," is a "kodama" whose "reach" is being used, or is a "ranger" walking any sort of "path." Rather, the 'Walker is using the experience of minions or of past deeds to use skills, use the skills of others indirectly, or learn new spells (by the actions of others or increasing knowledge).

Moreover, some cards may not be so easy to map into "you are a planeswalker."

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Pathetic is misspelled in the flavor text of wit's end. Lol

Unless it is not the planeswalker himself who is doing the "cultivating," is a "kodama" whose "reach" is being used, or is a "ranger" walking any sort of "path." Rather, the 'Walker is using the experience of minions or of past deeds to use skills, use the skills of others indirectly, or learn new spells (by the actions of others or increasing knowledge).

Moreover, some cards may not be so easy to map into "you are a planeswalker."

Right, that's what my second paragraph is about-- collecting the spell from those who have done the ground work.
Pathetic is misspelled in the flavor text of wit's end. Lol

That is pretty neat. I have never seen a card with a spelling mistake before.

I think the canon for lands is that they're memories. So, for example, Ranger's Path is you recalling the time you ran through the treetops, remembering every detail vividly, and deriving power from those memories.

Of course, things get really weird with land destruction, as that is typically flavored as destroying the physical location, which shouldn't be present in the duel.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Yeah, you have to draw power from land, if it's not there, it can't happen. Of course, you draw power sometimes from lands that aren't even on the plane you're on...
Today's daily deck looks cool. Thought I'd mention that we have actually seen Palladium Myr in Standard tournaments before, in an old Primeval Titan deck.
Framed art is beautiful, but you know what they could add to make it incredible? A black-bordered playset of the card with that art.* 1996 World Champion, eat your heart out--this'd be a prize you could use.

Besides, if there's no actual copies of the card that use the art, can you really call it that card's art?

*Though only for Brainstorm; they can't do incredible things with Timetwister because Wizards believes correcting a mistake is untrustworthy.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Wow, the Brainstorm art is gorgeous! Pleasepleaseplease reprint it so I can have it in foil? Pretty please?
Wow, the Brainstorm art is gorgeous! Pleasepleaseplease reprint it so I can have it in foil? Pretty please?

This would go against the whole point of using it as an exclusive prize, wouldn't it?
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!

This would go against the whole point of using it as an exclusive prize, wouldn't it?

The art has no meaning without context, save that it is yet another piece of blue-palette, "brain as motif" art. Of which are are dozens. Scale suggests this could even apply to Overwhelming Intellect, given how large it looms, and how "brain equals intelligence" it implies.

(It is ridiculous how much the brain is used as an "aesthetic" in Magic art, as if Magic's art directors and brand literally cannot conceive of any other potential concept to elucidate intellect, searching, or memory unless it has some sort of brain in it.

To further this rant, it is no wonder that Magic used Romero's negatively stupid Dawn of the Dead series to go with "zombies eat brains" motif for Innistrad, a concept that Romero is almost personally and exclusively responsible for, but which doesn't exist in any other fantasy, or even science fiction field from which Magic might take the "zombie" concept from. It's brains, brains, brains, no matter what. Ewww)

Plus there were a lot of important characters (Razia, Boros Archangel, Sisters of Stone Death, Szadek, Lord of Secrets, Momir Vig, Simic Visionary, Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran, Rakdos the Defiler and then some) dead by the end of it all.

First of, Kos himself proves that being dead doesn't prevent you from being a factor in the storyline; Razia is the only one of these characters who I would count on being gone for good, and that's only because we have Feather to replace her.  Momir Vig might have cloned himself, Szadek can linger as a ghost, the Sisters might self-zombify or be reconstituted out of sentient grave-moss, Kos might bargain with the Orzhov to have a new body carved out of marble and transmuted with soul-stuff, etc.  As for Rakdos, my memory of the Dissension book is vague but I don't think he actually died or anything; Eksperiment Kraj ate him, but he's a demon, he might not especially mind being eaten.  Also I have a pet theory, which might or might not have been based in an early piece of fluff, saying that the Rakdos all drink the demon's blood as a ritual of admittance, and conceivably the essence of his corruption could be carried in that blood, enabling him to resurrect himself as long as at least one of his worshippers survives.

I have no clue why the Conclave dissolved, it was alive and well at the end of Dissension, just that there was disconformity along its perimeter

Disconformity is exactly the main thing that would dissolve the Selesnya Conclave, since their entire deal is being a monolithic flock where there's no individuality or dissent.  I believe something took out the Chorus dryads at the end of one of the novels, but I don't recall; certainly, a disruption to the unity of the guild would be a massive setback in their case.  I just hope that this set will finally give us a card representing the brainwashed hive-mind vessels that were described in the book; they were way too creepy and cool not to use (and had antimagic powers that can be better represented by modern "you can't do X" design technology).

1. Planeswalkers felt that blue-aligned and water-affliliated Vedalken were not good enough, so peppered the place with talking fish; or
2. the Simic decided that they needed another blue-aligned, water-affiliated race and abandoned work on perfecting Vedalken for life in the big city and invented merfolk, and felt fish-fins and gills worked much better on dry land than Vedalken; or
3. there's just one, either coming from another plane or being engineered, and is trying to create more of its race (last of a house, long bereft of existence, much like Momir Vig himself) by ascending through the ranks of the Combine's arcane and convoluted academic system, years and years of study and beaurocratic red-tape--cutting to finally make it to Professor, then Professor Emeritus, then lastly the leader of the Combine (whew! that only takes DECADES!).

As I've said before, the likeliest explanation for there now being merfolk on Ravnica is that there were always merfolk on Ravnica, we just never saw them before because Ravnica is freaking gigantic and we've only seen the tiniest fraction of it.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
As I've said before, the likeliest explanation for there now being merfolk on Ravnica is that there were always merfolk on Ravnica, we just never saw them before because Ravnica is freaking gigantic and we've only seen the tiniest fraction of it.

We've seen most of it. It is not needful that Ravnica, as a plane, be a sphere much larger than that concerned by the perspective given in the books, or a sphere at all. That is, the plane may well be an undefined geometric shape in the form of a city divided (roughly) into nine sectors localized around the guildhalls (well, seven aboveground, two below what with Rix Maadi and Duskmantle beind subterranean, where the Golgari guildhall is actually just the aboveground primary entrance to the rot farms, which persist in the uppermost layer of the subterra; Skargg is not a "real" guildhall), while the Gruul dwell along the perimeter of Ravnica. Not just a section of it: They live in ALL of the abandoned, ruined regions. We are also told that long ago, Ravnica drained its oceans, however vast that may be. The city lies there, instead. So however large the city is, it is occupied or in the hands/paws/claws/stumps of the Gruul (for whom I have the most pity).

We are told, then, that the Simic Combine have combed the realm for biologicals, or that the Selesnya have sought out elements to "protect" or incorporate, or that the Gruul have adopted as outcast, or that the Izzet have discovered through any other means. As the city spans the plane, it should be understood that there shouldn't be undiscovered regions, or places where these things dwell we do not know. Rather, the realm is in decline because of the expanse of the plane, and it is required for nature to reclaim it to develop a more original ecology rather than the urbanized version "created" by the Guildpact's defense of the depredations of the Izzet, Simic and Orzhov on the populace. No, seriously ... there should be no Merfolk on the plane: There were and are none on Mirrodin, and Memmy stole species from other planes to populate Argentum in the first place; there was plenty of chances to try their hand at that then.

Merfolk are THE blue tribe now, THAT is why they are on Ravnica, and I think there is going to be a half-assed handwave to make it happen. The likes of "You didn't know everything; they were there ... shrug." This isn't intelligent story- and world-building. If Creative and R&D look two years ahead of the release, there are vast amounts of time they have to work at full world-building, concepts for planar design and scope, and catalogues of species that can set limits on the asspulls future writers can create, not this comic-style retcon garbage.
We've seen most of it.

No, I'm quite certain it was explicitly stated somewhere that Ravnica is a full-sized planet and has a population of hundreds of billions.  The entirety of the planet is covered by city, but Ravnica is also the name of the original largest city, which is now essentially a high-end district of the global megalopolis.  The only part of the rest of the plane we've seen is the Utvara district, where the Guildpact and parts of the Dissension novel take place.  The number of these districts is not indicated, but clearly Ravnica and Utvara aren't the only ones.

"You didn't know everything; they were there ... shrug."

Which is exactly what I am proposing.  I can think of no better way to give the setting the sense of scale that it richly deserves than to simply make it clear we haven't seen the whole thing.

This isn't intelligent story- and world-building. If Creative and R&D look two years ahead of the release, there are vast amounts of time they have to work at full world-building, concepts for planar design and scope, and catalogues of species that can set limits on the asspulls future writers can create, not this comic-style retcon garbage.

Two years is not very long when they're as busy as they are, and let's not forget that the amount of staff in Wotco is not large.  They absolutely do not want to "set limits on future asspulls", as that would make their job difficult.  Already they clearly are not able to keep track of the existing continuity (though they could make use of the community's willingness to do so, if not for legal issues).  They do not want to close any doors for their future selves; otherwise they'll blurt out something like "there are no seven-headed okapi-men on Ravnica", and five years from now Brand will tell them "The new movie about seven-headed okapi-men is making a mint, so we need there to be seven-headed okapi-men on this fall's "Ravnica III: Planeswalk Hard With a Vengeance" set; make it happen."  These are the people who tell the company how to make money, so they WILL get their way, no matter how stupid it is; avoiding doing extremely thorough, inflexible worldbuilding now is a form of damage control for the creative types, as it leaves them more flexibility to obey the orders of their corporate overlords later.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
We've seen most of it.

No, I'm quite certain it was explicitly stated somewhere that Ravnica is a full-sized planet and has a population of hundreds of billions.  The entirety of the planet is covered by city, but Ravnica is also the name of the original largest city, which is now essentially a high-end district of the global megalopolis.  The only part of the rest of the plane we've seen is the Utvara district, where the Guildpact and parts of the Dissension novel take place.  The number of these districts is not indicated, but clearly Ravnica and Utvara aren't the only ones.

I've not seen a single Creative-fueld argument from the developers of the game that stated the plane was a planet. All we know is that it is a plane (of whatever sort that might be, spherical, oblate, discoid, an infinite or finite square, a plane on the inside of a sphere with the sun in the center, a smiley face, etc.) covered by a city of the same name. It is not many cities that conjoin: there is only one city. Recall, the Creative folks cannot even tell us precisely how Alara was organized, much less how it becomes split or conjoined, just that it was so. For the reasoning among us who have any familiarity with cosmology and astronomy, this is some ponderous, formative data that is being left out of the mix, and all for the sake of being able to backtrack and asspull themselves back into some idea. It's not "Cover your tracks, or they'll find what you've done," it's "Don't even leave tracks, so you can go back and make fake ones."

"You didn't know everything; they were there ... shrug."

Which is exactly what I am proposing.  I can think of no better way to give the setting the sense of scale that it richly deserves than to simply make it clear we haven't seen the whole thing.

Right. And that's what's known as an asspull. It matters not why they do it, or the consequences of it, but that they do it, and pretend it is plot-relevant. The pretense, that we've not seen all of Ravnica, is irrelevant. My argument is that they want Merfolk on the plane, with the claim that Merfolk are resonant, and thus there will be Merfolk on the plane. And they are doing this on a world without oceans, or huge rivers (recall, the world's water supply is sustained magically and mechanically in floating vats and aquifers, managed by the Izzet -- and, I'm sure in part, by the Simic).

This isn't intelligent story- and world-building. If Creative and R&D look two years ahead of the release, there are vast amounts of time they have to work at full world-building, concepts for planar design and scope, and catalogues of species that can set limits on the asspulls future writers can create, not this comic-style retcon garbage.

Two years is not very long when they're as busy as they are, and let's not forget that the amount of staff in Wotco is not large.  They absolutely do not want to "set limits on future asspulls", as that would make their job difficult.  Already they clearly are not able to keep track of the existing continuity (though they could make use of the community's willingness to do so, if not for legal issues).  They do not want to close any doors for their future selves; otherwise they'll blurt out something like "there are no seven-headed okapi-men on Ravnica", and five years from now Brand will tell them "The new movie about seven-headed okapi-men is making a mint, so we need there to be seven-headed okapi-men on this fall's "Ravnica III: Planeswalk Hard With a Vengeance" set; make it happen."  These are the people who tell the company how to make money, so they WILL get their way, no matter how stupid it is; avoiding doing extremely thorough, inflexible worldbuilding now is a form of damage control for the creative types, as it leaves them more flexibility to obey the orders of their corporate overlords later.

I swear I can come up with a planar design which is wholly developed and ecologically sound. I can create realms where elemental products are innate and exclusive of the others (of metal, of water, of air, etc.) and it's not hard. I can also build a project map, with a scope of context for the current setting (a continent here, half the world there). The world-building of Ravniva actually appealed to me in such a way because it seemed they had covered their bases on it: they described how the entire plane had been urbanized and converted, losing them their natural ecologies and had to create new ones to compensate: a purely urbanized ecology. This actually fits the way urban ecologies NOW are known, such as pigeons, predators adapted specifically to them, etc.

During the second GDS, someone invented a setting that exists wholly underground, and conceived of how each of the colors might utilize this realm. R&D would call this a "plane," and then we'd have to figure out how that "plane" translates when they use the term for "world," "planet" or "realm of existence," but also "setting" or "subsetting" depending on convenience. One can do without such liquid "definitions."

Lorwyn, unlike Innistrad, is supposedly self-contained, a realm within a ring of mountains, and nothing much beyond, if at all. It is particularly nice because there needn't ever be a way to explain what is beyond Lorwyn's mountains: simply say, there is nothing beyond Lorwyn's mountains. Restrictions Breed Creativity. The plane and the land, like Innistrad, is self-contained. Rather, Innistrad is meant to be a portion of the world, like how Otaria is a portion of what appears to be a spherical world, and maybe Dominaria is a portion of a plane. One should not name the plane for a region therein, but Creative has been getting less and less insightful in this because, sadly, the push is to further and further things: never stay long, and maybe never go back.

They don't expand on the world building, because to them they may never use that work; doing so becomes a waste of effort. Instead, you get them asspulling story elements on their return to what was always a popular setting; they could not -- or would not -- try to create a more plausible person to head up the Combine, even potentially resurrecting the long-lost race from which Momir derives (steampunk elves!) -- after all, they have his genetics or biomatter or goo.
Regarding the M13 Event Decks:

Why so many cards from Scars block? These decks aren't going to be Standard legal for very long!

I may just quit ordering these for my shop for future releases.
Regarding the M13 Event Decks:

Why so many cards from Scars block? These decks aren't going to be Standard legal for very long!

I may just quit ordering these for my shop for future releases.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why did they put the allied color Mirrodin lands into the decks, since we're about to see them leave Standard. Sure, they'd be great for Modern and casual, but that doesn't help those of us who just getting into Standard. I was ecstatic that they put Thragtusk into a deck and wish they would have put Thundermaw Hellkite into the other deck. Honestly, he would have been a very smart addition, letting both him and the Fettergiest attack in the same turn. It would have also helped bringed down the absurd value of it. A Bonfire of the Damned would have also been nice. I know these are mythics but who truly cares when it comes down to gameplay. Again though, the Mirrodin lands with the other Mirrodin cards seem overkill.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I, for one, think it's hilarious that the Burning Vengeance deck has one card in it from M13. Evolving Wilds sort of counts, too, but that's a land and we also just saw it in Dark Ascension.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

So what we have here is M12 event decks all over again.  One that is kinda centered around the core set, and one that could have easily been an event deck for the previous block.

This really inst excusable a second time.  The second deck isnt even a good Vengence deck.  Also that sideboard is just horrible.  Bloodcrazed neonate? Really?

The first one has enough cards i can use in it to be worth the 19.99 ill pay for it though so not a total loss.  At msrp either is a rip off.

Is 'repeat performance' a pod deck without a pod, or a flicker deck without much flickering?

Also, CotD theme... cows? 
Okey.. that was weird.

The first deck seems pretty fun to play and has some money in it. A bit weird there are so much Scars cards in there but.. well sure. I guess adding a Restorationg Angel wouldnt be bad as well.. (just cut the zenith?)

The second deck just doesnt make sense. So much useless junk..

@ poster above: they are not printing mythic cards in these products so Thundermaw is not going to work.
M2013 second event deck is a joke.... 1 m2013 card in a M2013 event deck? Foot in Mouth (i dont cout evolvings because they were printed elsewhere too... Total FAIL :D
Well, you see, that's how Core Set event decks are built. They put good cards, even in brink of rotation, in the deck. It's a 'one last hurrah' of the nearly-rotated-cards. Wizards uses intro packs to showcase a new set's themes and mechanics, not event decks.

Zac Hill wrote an article about this:

"That's also one of the reasons that the contents of a given set's Event Decks vary widely in terms of how many cards they actually use of that particular set. With Magic 2012, I knew I wanted to take advantage of a lot of cool Zendikar block Vampires before they rotated out of Standard, since Event Decks weren't around during Zendikar's release. That meant, though, that a lot of the deck wouldn't be legal after the release of Innistrad. To compensate for that, I knew I wanted for most of the blue deck to be legal after the rotation, and to take advantage of a lot of M12-specific cards. New Phyrexia's Event Decks, meanwhile, were much more evenly spaced when it comes to the frequency of Zendikar block versus Scars block cards.

As a general rule, then, we tend to prefer at least one linear, mostly aggressive strategy whose manabase can be made to work with minimal effort. The other strategy will likely be more set-specific and try to play up some interesting block themes. As formats get close to rotating, we're more likely to try and get one last hurrah out of the previous block's Constructed All-Star list, whereas earlier in a set's lifespan we're more likely to explore themes that have the opportunity to grow more robust with each release." 

Source:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

I was also really dissapointed with the Vengeance list. They could have at least made it into a decent deck. Aside from the ScoM Block cards(Hey, Y U no Sunpetal Grove?), the first deck looks like it'd be rather fun. Also, Thragtusk.
My main question would be the power level of these decks. Obviously, the green deck is better. But how good is it, really? At the very least, one can build off it, right?

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I was also really dissapointed with the Vengeance list. They could have at least made it into a decent deck. Aside from the ScoM Block cards (Hey, Y U no Sunpetal Grove?), the first deck looks like it'd be rather fun. Also, Thragtusk.
My main question would be the power level of these decks. Obviously, the green deck is better. But how good is it, really? At the very least, one can build off it, right?

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I've ranted about it before, the event decks should absolutely not contain rotating cards. My reasoning is that Wizards pitches FNM as an entrance into Magic tournaments. Then, it says event decks are the perfect way to get started playing FNM. I have a friend who bought the 2012 Vampire deck a couple of months after it came out, and was disqualified from his first FNM. That was his first constructed tournament experience, and his last. No Magic product should have a shelf-life of two months.

I agree Sgtpepperjack, I'm dissappointed as well by Vengence. I have a similar deck that runs Arcane Melee. It pretty much builds itself around the R/U cards that have flashback, plus a ton of board sweep. It is also exceedingly boring, both for the opponent, and for the player, who ends up playing solitare. I doubt that this sub-optimized version is any more fun.
Well, you see, that's how Core Set event decks are built. They put good cards, even in brink of rotation, in the deck. It's a 'one last hurrah' of the nearly-rotated-cards. Wizards uses intro packs to showcase a new set's themes and mechanics, not event decks.

Zac Hill wrote an article about this:

"That's also one of the reasons that the contents of a given set's Event Decks vary widely in terms of how many cards they actually use of that particular set. With Magic 2012, I knew I wanted to take advantage of a lot of cool Zendikar block Vampires before they rotated out of Standard, since Event Decks weren't around during Zendikar's release. That meant, though, that a lot of the deck wouldn't be legal after the release of Innistrad. To compensate for that, I knew I wanted for most of the blue deck to be legal after the rotation, and to take advantage of a lot of M12-specific cards. New Phyrexia's Event Decks, meanwhile, were much more evenly spaced when it comes to the frequency of Zendikar block versus Scars block cards.

As a general rule, then, we tend to prefer at least one linear, mostly aggressive strategy whose manabase can be made to work with minimal effort. The other strategy will likely be more set-specific and try to play up some interesting block themes. As formats get close to rotating, we're more likely to try and get one last hurrah out of the previous block's Constructed All-Star list, whereas earlier in a set's lifespan we're more likely to explore themes that have the opportunity to grow more robust with each release." 

Source:

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

That logic was terrible then, and its still terrible now.  Why even call them Core Set?  Might as well make a "Last Hurrah" deck.  Except that the last Hurrah in this case is for Innistrad, which wont be rotating any time soon. 
Ok guys, so don't buy them. These decks are made to be an opportunity for new players to have some chance of winning games at FNM. If you are an active member of the boards, odds are you don't need these decks because you already have enough interest/investment in Magic that you can build better decks out of singles from the internet. At least those decks are playable. Intro-Packs, though, tend to be pointless pieces of garbage, since they are mostly unplayable, even in casual groups. I don't hate the decklists from these 2 decks.

Concerning legality in Standard, though, I understand why it's bothersome. I personally don't play sanctioned formats, so I don't really mind, but I see why it's a bad thing. As I said above, those decks are geared towards players who intend to try FNM for the first time, and when said player purchases an Event deck, opens it and is told he can't use it because there are cards from a set no longer legal (in this case the scar duals) I can imagine his confusion and frustration.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
For the Provoking the Court Arcana....I really dig the grin on the initial sketch.
I like Courtly Provocateur's art, but it doesn't match the card mechanics. Due to "keeping it bloodless" as artist was requested, it seems like she just poisoned them all, instead of making everyone kill each other in a fight. Attack? Block? There was no combat in this ballroom, people just randomly fell dead.
Ok guys, so don't buy them. These decks are made to be an opportunity for new players to have some chance of winning games at FNM. If you are an active member of the boards, odds are you don't need these decks because you already have enough interest/investment in Magic that you can build better decks out of singles from the internet. At least those decks are playable. Intro-Packs, though, tend to be pointless pieces of garbage, since they are mostly unplayable, even in casual groups. I don't hate the decklists from these 2 decks.

Concerning legality in Standard, though, I understand why it's bothersome. I personally don't play sanctioned formats, so I don't really mind, but I see why it's a bad thing. As I said above, those decks are geared towards players who intend to try FNM for the first time, and when said player purchases an Event deck, opens it and is told he can't use it because there are cards from a set no longer legal (in this case the scar duals) I can imagine his confusion and frustration.

No disrespect, but you have a lot to say for someone who doesn't have any kind of investment in the format these will be in, isn't the market for these things and probably wouldn't buy these anyway.

I am a new player, and I do want to get into the London FNM scene, and I won't be touching these with a barge pole. The green has 5 key rares that would get me booted from an event in two months time and the red has 4. Frustratingly for the red one(as I'm interested in that deck as a concept) is that the land rare has a direct analogue that's legal right now, and at least one of the sorcery rares could have been magamaquake...

And that's the one that's alright. That green deck has 16 cards that will be going out. If after October that deck loses a quarter of it's price to match the fact that people will be losing a quarter of the deck, then fine, but I don't see that happening.

The only hope here is that Thragtusk stops being a £10 rare now...
I want to be Cultured.
Intro-Packs, though, tend to be pointless pieces of garbage, since they are mostly unplayable, even in casual groups. I don't hate the decklists from these 2 decks.

I totally disagree. Intro packs are far from pointless or garbage, they just aren't aimed at you, clearly. They are an excellent introductory product for new players and when properly constructed they can be a lot of fun to evolve and build on.

Case in point, I've been playing magic since fallen empires and precon/theme/intro decks are one of the main ways I've stuck with the game. I buy them and evolve them. I only ever play casual and some of my favourite decks were, once upon a time, intro products.

My only criticisms of intro packs would be that sometimes they are not well crafted and really don't work having a much lower power level than other intro packs, or just not really doing anything they propose to do, and that they no longer come with a 60 card box, which is a pretty big mistake by WOTC in my estimation. If they came with boxes I'd buy more of them.
Using spoiler blocks to avoid huge quote mess.

Show

Show

No disrespect, but you have a lot to say for someone who doesn't have any kind of investment in the format these will be in, isn't the market for these things and probably wouldn't buy these anyway.

I am a new player, and I do want to get into the London FNM scene, and I won't be touching these with a barge pole. The green has 5 key rares that would get me booted from an event in two months time and the red has 4. Frustratingly for the red one(as I'm interested in that deck as a concept) is that the land rare has a direct analogue that's legal right now, and at least one of the sorcery rares could have been magamaquake...

And that's the one that's alright. That green deck has 16 cards that will be going out. If after October that deck loses a quarter of it's price to match the fact that people will be losing a quarter of the deck, then fine, but I don't see that happening.

The only hope here is that Thragtusk stops being a £10 rare now...

Ok, I must ask if you read my whole post, or just the first sentence / paragraph and decided to reply. You are pretty much agreeing with me here.

Sure, I'm not the market for these in what concerns playing at FNM, but I have already purchased more than one Event Deck for acquiring new cards, starting a new deck or something of sorts. I'm interested in these products as well, since I see them as an easy way to get a rather solid deck (or at least that's what they should be). So while legality doesn't bother me, power level does. This is why I stated that if we are here discussing these things, odds are we see those decks as inferior then what they could be, because we have a bigger knowledge of the game. What this means is that those decks aren't as bad as they seem for the overall new player.

You say you want to get into the London FNM scene and are a new player, but you are here in the boards. This indicates you have been reading about Magic, checking out decklists and following the game much more closely than most players. This is wonderfull, since it means you are going to have a pretty good grasp over the game and will most likely be able to do well in your first FNMs. That also means that you know what is in the Top 8s of the world and so would think the Event Deck is really bad because of cards A and B, while in most FNMs it will do just fine. In short, as I said, you are in the position of buying singles online and building a very good deck. You are not the newbie FNMer that this product targets, even though you are just starting.

Now we come to your point against my previous post, and this is where I ask if you read my second paragraph. You basically prove your point of not liking these decks because many cards will rotate out soon. I pretty much said that I agree with that and consider this to be a negative action of Wizards. At least you are informed enough to know these cards will rotate out soon. What about the players who don't? That's terrible, people will buy the product and then be shocked to know that in a couple months they'll have to buy even more things. It feels like Wizards lied to them. That's what I said and I believe we are all on the same boat here.

Intro-Packs, though, tend to be pointless pieces of garbage, since they are mostly unplayable, even in casual groups. I don't hate the decklists from these 2 decks.

Show

I totally disagree. Intro packs are far from pointless or garbage, they just aren't aimed at you, clearly. They are an excellent introductory product for new players and when properly constructed they can be a lot of fun to evolve and build on.

Case in point, I've been playing magic since fallen empires and precon/theme/intro decks are one of the main ways I've stuck with the game. I buy them and evolve them. I only ever play casual and some of my favourite decks were, once upon a time, intro products.

My only criticisms of intro packs would be that sometimes they are not well crafted and really don't work having a much lower power level than other intro packs, or just not really doing anything they propose to do, and that they no longer come with a 60 card box, which is a pretty big mistake by WOTC in my estimation. If they came with boxes I'd buy more of them.

They aren't excellent introductory products. If they were, I wouldn't be forced to explain how important synergy and running multiple copies of a card is important to every single person who bought one and wants to improve it in the Casual boards. If they were excellent products, they'd teach players to have a solid deck that works as they want, and not a random pack of cards that resemble a deck. Sure, I'm generalizing, there are some Intro Packs that aren't garbage, but those are the exceptions. The great majority of them is very, very bad, and they teach new players nothing but "hey, get a shiny rare and stick it in this deck, it will be awesome!".

Also, I'd like to reinforce that I'm talking about Intro Packs. I really liked purchasing Precons and Theme Decks, They seemed to be better built and work better. Nowadays we mostly get a random pile of cards that fit the chosen colors, and might have some strategy going on if you try to notice it. I still remember the Theme Decks from Fifth Dawn, Planar Chaos and Eventide as the best ones, the kind of deck you could open and play with. They were very good introductory products. They taught players how to make a good deck and how to improve them. But they don't anymore.
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
Also, I'd like to reinforce that I'm talking about Intro Packs. I really liked purchasing Precons and Theme Decks, They seemed to be better built and work better. Nowadays we mostly get a random pile of cards that fit the chosen colors, and might have some strategy going on if you try to notice it. I still remember the Theme Decks from Fifth Dawn, Planar Chaos and Eventide as the best ones, the kind of deck you could open and play with. They were very good introductory products. They taught players how to make a good deck and how to improve them. But they don't anymore.

www.quietspeculation.com/2010/12/five-re...

It's weird that you support this product. You've found 4 things you don't like about them as your "only" criticism.

The reason you say they are far from pointless, is basically because you use them if I understand you correctly? It doesn't seem like you were able to give an actual reason why it's a good product, or preferable to event decks.  The fact that you need to modify them is not a plus either, as new players will expect the deck to be playable as is, and also learn bad deckbuilding habits from them.

I mean, you said yourself that the decks often don't work. That's not a minor issue for a pre-constructed deck, that's what makes it worth buying ot not. Why would anyone want a product that doesn't work? 

The only time I ever see precons or intro packs being decent, is when the theme they use has so much synergy that it works reguardless of the deck being badly built (ex: Affinity). And then it beats the hell out of any other pre constructed deck, which are no longer worth buying (or even less so).

Sign In to post comments