reprint of 2e coming soon?

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm stoked for the reprinting of 1E books, it would be nice to have a copy around that I don't have to put on gloves, open in a hermetically sealed chamber, and store deep underground away from light. Now if only they'd reprint the 1E modules....one can dream. 

With 3.5 being announced, I can't help but ask, where's the 2e love? Core books, supplemental books (kits anyone?), etc.  
I second this.

Would love to see some 2nd Edition stuff reprinted.  Especially if they could get into some of the old boxed set campaigns!
This reminds of me of the re-issue of classic generation 1 Transformers when the new movies were released.
Have you seen the prices for From the Ashes, Greyhawk Wars, etc.? It's nuts. Just to have straight reprints - not converted - would be amazing. There's so much good source material in Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer and more. I think with 1e and 2e reprints it would be a no-brainer.
Sometimes you can purchase the AD&D Core Rules CD-ROM used. It contains the main rulebooks in RTF, HTML, and the old Windows Help format I believe. It also has most of the Complete X Handbooks books, but not all of them. The AD&D Core Rules Expansion CD-ROM is just as useful. All of these files are on that CD-ROM too. You don't even have to install it for a wealth of information. I still have mine and use it for reference on occasion.
Same here!  I preordered the 1st edition reprints as soon as they went on sale.   I dont know that I will purchase the 3.5 edition reprints but I would snap up 2nd edition reprints!
I dont know that I will purchase the 3.5 edition reprints but I would snap up 2nd edition reprints!

Now that I think about it I already bought the 2nd edition reprints with a new cover!

IMAGE(http://gobretail.com/gobretail-ecom/images/tsr2159.jpg)

My original 2E Player's Handbook was beaten up pretty badly. I think I actually went through two of them before buying the third copy, the reprint with the new cover.
2e was first published after 1978.  So no, they do not need to reprint it periodically like they do 1e.  It won't happen.
2e was first published after 1978.  So no, they do not need to reprint it periodically like they do 1e.  It won't happen.

That doesn't make any sense. By the way they haven't reprinted first edition at all since Wizards of the Coast purchased the company. It has not been printed periodically. It is being reprint once as a special tie-in to the Gygax Memorial and also probably as a schedule filler since they aren't releasing much this year. The schedule is largely a vacuum.  I have also noticed that DDI articles are pretty thin and far and few in-between nowadays. They are reprinting v3.5 (also probably as a schedule filler). If it takes too long for Next to fully develop it may even be possible they would reprint 2nd Edition as a schedule filler. I think it is less likely then the v3.5 reprints but it is possible.
Yep! Show me where to spend my money. I say rerelease them all ( editions) and then WOTC can reclaim all the lost fans and revenue as well as move forward with D&D next to unite the fanbase. They will make a killing!
Oh, give them a few weeks to start plastering the website with the 3.x reprint ads, and then I'm sure they'll start doing the same with 2nd Edition.

I mean, that's basically what the website is now, ads for reprints and shilling for DnD Next. 
I say release all editions and let the players decide what version of the game they would like to play! This way everyone can be happy and WoTC could make alot of thier money back from the palyers they lost to pathfinder.
I say release all editions and let the players decide what version of the game they would like to play! This way everyone can be happy and WoTC could make alot of thier money back from the palyers they lost to pathfinder.

The problem there is, most (later) players already have the entire run of books (i.e., 3.x materials), or have become heavily invested in the homebrew materials.
Nay say, blah blah, talk out yer rump.. dee,dee. Hey back to reality, are you aware that there is an online petition to WOTC for just this exact thing? By the way did you notice how you are the only negative voice on this thread? We want a cross edition reprint. if you don't then just back off please. Your negativity is not going to change our minds.

The problem there is, most (later) players already have the entire run of books (i.e., 3.x materials), or have become heavily invested in the homebrew materials.

I'm in a group of 11 people and everyone has said that they want a full reprint of 1e and 2e because many of us have lost or beat up copies and it would be nice to have them all new instead of trying to find them online from amazon
I have a good copy of 2E core books. That said I would still buy another set if WOTC printed them. You hear that WOTC? I want to give you my money.

Cool
Just picked up the 1E reprints, and the quality is so darn good for a set that will NEVER be used, that I would gladly purchase 2E reprints as well.  
I would instantly buy a 2ed reprint, especially if they put  into all the corriges,and the player option errata's to the list of spells/schools.
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
here heer ")

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

Yup, need new 2e books.
There will be no 2e reprints, the books are still out there and easy to get. Half price books always have the 3 core books on shelf. WOTC only reprinted 1e to shut up us OSR people and help the Gygax fund. Besides, why would you want to buy three books with a new cover and the same thing you bought in the late 80s on the inside for 3 times the price?

There will be no 2e reprints, the books are still out there and easy to get. Half price books always have the 3 core books on shelf. WOTC only reprinted 1e to shut up us OSR people and help the Gygax fund. Besides, why would you want to buy three books with a new cover and the same thing you bought in the late 80s on the inside for 3 times the price?

Then why 3.5 reprints?  I can get those just as easily as 2E and, frankly, 1E books are available on ebay, many in pretty good shape (even the first covers).  For some people, the books are collectors items that will never see use, but are just interesting to have.  Conversation pieces, if you will.  I have had several people already discuss my 1E reprints when they came over to the house.  
Carbonfiber07 -- I don't think 3.5 should be reprinted at all. They should just leave it dead, WOTC dropped the ball on it, and Paizo grabbed it up and took that poor child and gave it a home, new clothes, and taught it new rules. What happened? Its gold now.
i would love to see a reprint of second edition and i would definitely buy the books. While on the subject of editions-i dont see why a 5th edition is really "needed". everyone that plays D&D has a favorite edition. So why not just re-release all the editions and just produce supporting materials for all the editions? that way everyone can still play the edition they think is the best WOTC can still make $ and be a profitable company and they wouldnt be "edition restricting" themselves.
Carbonfiber07 -- I don't think 3.5 should be reprinted at all. They should just leave it dead, WOTC dropped the ball on it, and Paizo grabbed it up and took that poor child and gave it a home, new clothes, and taught it new rules. What happened? Its gold now.

WotC didn't drop the ball of 3.5 at all. It was a highly successful system that ran its course. Paizo picked it up, for sure, and has done well with it. It isn't gold though, it's just successful at capitalizing on 4E's waning years.

i would love to see a reprint of second edition and i would definitely buy the books. While on the subject of editions-i dont see why a 5th edition is really "needed". everyone that plays D&D has a favorite edition. So why not just re-release all the editions and just produce supporting materials for all the editions? that way everyone can still play the edition they think is the best WOTC can still make $ and be a profitable company and they wouldnt be "edition restricting" themselves.

That would never, ever work for several reasons. Firstly, it fractures the player base. You think the 4E/Pathfinder split was bad? Wait until people are re-invested in 4 older editions + Pathfinder. Stores will hate it because, inevitably, one edition will sell better and they will be left with tons of books on their shelves. Reprints are fun but most of people want to move forward with their lives. I like 3.5 a lot but that doesn't mean I want to go back to making that system my main system. It's broken and half dead from rules bloat. Additionally, can you imagine how confusing it would be for a new player to go to Barnes and Noble and see 4 editions worth of D&D books? He'd go crazy and never bother buying any books.

New editions always need to be released. What was fun 4 years ago isn't today. Time to rejigger the system, look at old problems from new angles and have some fun!
Regardless of what you think 3.5 are being reprinted. I have a great reason for buying a new book for more money. It's new! No worries about the quality of the item the seller actually has and it will last a lot longer.

2e is my personal favorite. That's when I started playing on a regular basis. Love those black, white and blue pages. It really takes me back. I would love a nice new copy of the core with better quality bindings and errata update. Planescape would be a great reprint!

I hope they would stick with the original printing's cover art as they did with the 1e books. Though I really loved the second cover design for the 1e books. That was some sweet artwork.

Just make them limited editions, just like the 1e books. Booksellers won't have an inventory problem then. They can't support all these titles indefinitely.

Please print them! 
I'm with you all on this. I have played all editions of the game, and find 2E to still be my favorite. With the exception of some personal "I want it toos" from some WotC guys at their booth at Gen Con, I have yet to get a response about this from anyone that would be able to give a for-sure; my questions have remained ignored.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

Money talks.

... and I've got a wad of money I want to give WotC if they reprint the 2e books.
Look
I'm not asking for much here WOTC. Give me my 2nd edition reprints with Jeff Easley's first Mounted knight Cover and the Wizard and Dragon Cover DMG and I'll give you my money. Next is a maybe at this point and isn't catering to my playstyle or prefered flavor. If you reprint 2nd. Edition- they will buy. Do you need shoeless Joe Jackson to show up in a corn field for you or what?
I want TSR AD&D. Give me Zebs D&D please. Yours has a bad after taste and gives me gas.

You do realize I'm joking here, Wink
Look
I'm not asking for much here WOTC. Give me my 2nd edition reprints with Jeff Easley's first Mounted knight Cover and the Wizard and Dragon Cover DMG and I'll give you my money. Next is a maybe at this point and isn't catering to my playstyle or prefered flavor. If you reprint 2nd. Edition- they will buy. Do you need shoeless Joe Jackson to show up in a corn field for you or what?
I want TSR AD&D. Give me Zebs D&D please. Yours has a bad after taste and gives me gas.

While I won't go that far (I do like 3.5 and even 4th)... WHAT YOU SAID!

Do I need to scan or photograph the money I want to give you for these books, WotC?  

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

We have the 1e reprints because it meshed nicely with the Gygax memorial fund and the nostalgia they're trying to build in preperation for Next.
We have 3e because they want to win back the Pathfinder players who feel abandoned by WotC (and, likely because someone at WotC likely belives the reason PF is doing as well as it is, is because there's no 3e books to compete with). 

2e... isn't as different from 1e as the other editions, so there's less mechanical incentive. And it didn't sell as well as 1e or 3e, which were the spikes in the hobby. (D&D seems to have the oposite problem as Star Trek where the even editions are more poorly recieved than the odd.)
2e also have a heavy revision/reprint late in the editon's lifespan (the black bordered books) which are not hard to find in stores. It's easy for interested parties to hit used book stores or eBay and find copies. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the popularity of 2nd edition. I have a long waiting list for my current 2E campaign. 2E source & core rulebooks are very hard to find in my community, and per the FGLS & 1/2 Price Books, those that do come in get snapped up quickly. Most players that I know personally who tried 3/3.5/4 went back to 2E after awhile. Maybe I run in different D&D circles, but the overwhelming majority of those I have talked to (including those I rolled with at Gen Con this year) enjoyed and would love a 2E reprint. The only real negative people I have come across concerning 2E are either on this board or a particular WotC employee who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Mike Mearls, lol).

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Glad to see there are more of us out there! I dearly want all of the 1e and 2e products reprinted, especially the modules and including products like Dark Sun or Al-Qadim (even though I do have my original Al-Qadim in near-mint condition, I'm terrified to touch it because they're hard to find!). I am a Greyhawk fun through and through but I would love to get my hands on a reprint of Undermountain.

Wish List
Temple of Elemental Evil (ridiculously expensive on Ebay/Amazon)
From the Ashes (again ridiculously expensive)
ALL 1e modules 
All 2e modules

hmmm, there's tons more. I'm not a penniless kid anymore WotC, I have money now and I wish to dispose of it. If only you would get this done. 
Yea, the support here for a 2E reprint is quite positive. I think we just need to keep pestering WotC and we may see this.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

I find it strange that a couple of months ago Mike Mearls was reported as claiming that AD&D 2nd edition was his favorite system to play and yet we don't see any move by WOTC to reprint it. There's no love for us fans of 2e, in this company? I play all pre WOTC versions of the game and It sure would be cool to have some 2nd edition books to show that we are wanted as fans the way everyone else is. Iv'e been working hard at uniting the fans across editions and one of my favorites is left out in the cold. 2e. was such a cool game and so detailed and fun. What a pity it would be if it doesn't get a reprint. Right now I am left to purchase them used online for nearly as much as new books cost as they retain their value. I could be supporting WOTC with my money. Seems sad to me.
They did. However, with the physical copy reprints of 1E & 3.5 many of us would love to see a physical copy of the 2E core rules as well, instead of leaving it out as WotC seems to enjoy doing.

I will also state this: from a business standpoint, I do believe that reprinting 2E would be reasonably beneficial to WotC. It could spark interest again in the edition, causing an increase of sales of the 2E PDF files once they go for sale online. To be honest, I believe that is the reason why they rerelased 3.5.

Another observation as to why 3.5 came out first may be that, simply put, 3.5 was already in a format that their printers can use. Remember that 2E is in a 20+ year old format, and may need to be redone for modern printers, much like 1E was (to an extent). That's why I have been reasonably patient with them, but my patience is starting to leave as I see no move from WotC that hints we will see this edition in a reprint format.

WotC, it would simply be nice to hear an answer one way or another! BTW, I still have that wad of cash ready to buy these books again!   

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

I find it strange that a couple of months ago Mike Mearls was reported as claiming that AD&D 2nd edition was his favorite system to play and yet we don't see any move by WOTC to reprint it. There's no love for us fans of 2e, in this company? I play all pre WOTC versions of the game and It sure would be cool to have some 2nd edition books to show that we are wanted as fans the way everyone else is. Iv'e been working hard at uniting the fans across editions and one of my favorites is left out in the cold. 2e. was such a cool game and so detailed and fun. What a pity it would be if it doesn't get a reprint. Right now I am left to purchase them used online for nearly as much as new books cost as they retain their value. I could be supporting WOTC with my money. Seems sad to me.

I hadn't heard that. While I do believe you, I find it interesting that Mearls is one of the most critical of the system from WotC that I have personally heard, which is a shame. I'm not trying to flame Mearls, as I believe he's doing a helluva job with the upcoming 5E, but I still find this difficult to fathom.  

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Didn't they say WotC will soon be selling all previous edition books in PDF formats?

Would it surprise you to know that because of the release of cd rom core rules from the 1990's there is no need to make pdf's of 2nd ed.? They can be downloaded at any share info site freely today. I own the actual  official copy of the dragonbyte Software from TSR. We fans are asking for a paper reprinting to have physical copies of the game. I want new copies of the books myself.
WotC could EASILY offer print copies of any of their back catalogue if they wanted to. Many printing companies are converting their operations over to print-on-demand (POD) which has allowed them survive by making many small sales instead of a few big ones. I have no doubt that a big publisher like WotC/Hasbro could work out a deal with a printing company to process their POD orders. WotC could handle the internet front end and then transmit all the orders direct to the printer who would then ship directly to the consumer. Fantasy Flight Games does this and they are expanding their POD line which makes me think they're doing something right.

This avoids the need to gamble on big print runs that might not sell. That's what killed TSR in the 90's, warehouses full of product they couldn't sell.

Brick and mortar gaming stores aren't left out in the cold because WotC could offer a discount to retailers who would be shipped cases of books directly from the printer. FFG does this and it works quite well from what I've heard. Retailers only order exactly what they think they can sell and are not forced into dealing with distributers who want them to accept large bundles of items to get top selling products.

The only people who lose in this model are the distributing companies.
So here's the deal. They're ignoring us here. I have sent emails & tweets about this. No response. I think we need to flood the D&D twitter until they give us at least the respect of an answer.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Didn't they say WotC will soon be selling all previous edition books in PDF formats?

Would it surprise you to know that because of the release of cd rom core rules from the 1990's there is no need to make pdf's of 2nd ed.? They can be downloaded at any share info site freely today. I own the actual  official copy of the dragonbyte Software from TSR. We fans are asking for a paper reprinting to have physical copies of the game. I want new copies of the books myself.

That cd rom contained every 2ed DnD book, box and what not?

Most For AD&D second Edtition. It is Called Core rules and the expansion is called 2.0 It is the- Players Handbook, DMG, Monsterous compendium, Complete books of Dwarves, Elves,Gnomes and Halflings, Fighters Handbook, Rangers Handbook, Paladins Handbook, Wizards Handbook, Priests Handbook, Druids Handbook, Thieves Handbook, Bards handbook, Ninja's Handbook, Psionics Handbook, Necromancers Handbook, Legands and Lore, Monster mythology, Tome of magic, Sages and specialists, Arms and equipment guide, The Players Option Books High level Campaigns, Skills and Powers, Spells and magic and Combat and Tactics. It also includes a character generation program and printable character sheets for AD&D 2e. The chop shop version is Greyhawk Themed including maps, and one very non p.c. booby female warrior picture, so beware of that. The official one Has a red Dragon on the cover.

Hope this info helps as well as warns you.