[SNEAK PEEK] Feedback — Finding or Starting a Game/Event

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread for feedback on setting up and starting a new open game, finding an open game, and finding and entering an event.

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Use the designated bug thread AND report them so they can be fixed.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Home, Help, Settings and Miscellany (including login and install)
Finding or Starting a Game/Event
Game Play (Duels & Multiplayer)
Tournaments (Standings, Draft)
Collection, Deckbuilding and Viewing Cards
Store
Trading
Chatting, Clans and Buddies
Bugs

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Okay, everyone seems to be making general comments in the general thread, and none in these. 

I have a concern about the UI, which has multiple parts.  The new "Play" match choosing system is a significant change from the last system.  As someone who uses the current separation of rooms as a way to segregate games out and make sure that they are all together and easy to find, I am concerned.

I am one of the people who run weekly tournaments, announced from the PRE forum here and played on MTGO in the "Anything Goes" room, so that they aren't in the mass of people who are playing in the main rooms, to make them much easier to find.   I am holding off a lot of judgement until tomorrow when I can check out the client for myself and see what it is like, but I am conerned that there will be basically no good way to play player-run events in the new client, since it looks like all of the games are just stuck together in one big room.  

I'm specifically talking about the third section "The Play's the Thing" and the fourth screenshot.  It looks like the "Anything Goes" room is completely gone.  I am willing to change our practices for PREs that we are playing in the client, but would like to make it at least as easy as it is now for us to play our tournament (which is the only way to play strange format tournaments right now, such as Standard PDC, my favorite).

Can someone who is in the beta tell me if it is possible to filter matches by the "Comments" field easily?  Then we could just make our matches have "XPDC" in the comment field and it would be easy enough. 

I'm also concerned about random players getting matched up with our players - could someone tell me how this "permitted opponents" section of the game matching works?  Can you specify a player specifically to play against, and still allow all players to watch?

For the transition, how does the old client mesh with the new client in terms of rooms?  Where do the games that are started in the "Anything Goes" room in the old client go in the new client?

I know that the people running and playing in non-sanctioned tournaments are a pretty small contingent of the general MTGO playing public, so maybe it won't be a big concern, but it's the only way to play some non-supported formats regularly.
Current organizer of SPDC - Join us for SPDC Season 19 on Thursdays in /join PDC
Webmaster for PDCMagic.com
Head Developer of Gatherling
Former writer of Standard Deviations on PureMTGO.com
I'm wondering about this, as well.

During the open Beta, I am going to test running my events in the "Getting Serious" area. However, this will force the participants to also use the v4 client, since there is no such equivilent on the v3 client.

We may have issues with non-PRE participants who can't be bothered to read game descriptions. 

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Okay, everyone seems to be making general comments in the general thread, and none in these.

These threads are for when people actually get a chance to use the client. The other one was just for the initial announcement and screenshots.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Getting Serious and Anything Goes are the same room, so players just need to know which room to go to based on the version of MTGO they are using. 
Not sure which thread this goes in, so apologies if I'm missing my target in advance. Are replays indeed not possible in V4 at the moment, or am I overlooking things? Thanks.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
Not sure which thread this goes in, so apologies if I'm missing my target in advance. Are replays indeed not possible in V4 at the moment, or am I overlooking things? Thanks.

Account => Game History should allow you to view your own. Event replays are not available AFAIK.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

Account => Game History should allow you to view your own. Event replays are not available AFAIK.

In-progress event replays are not available. You can watch replays from finished events by expanding the + next to a player's name and see all of their replays there. WotC_Lee could not comment about if we will be able to view replays of in-progress events in the future.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
...WotC_Lee could not comment about if we will be able to view replays of in-progress events in the future.

That sounds ominous. In-progress events are the only ones I care to see replays of.
I like this change. In RL magic you can never see how and when a player plays it's cards. Watching a replay gives you advantage that shouldn't be available in my opinion. I see the ppurpuse of replays in reviewing your gameplan or finding some info that you missed while playing so you can check it out later.
I agree with OP regarding the "issue" that things take up too much space on the screen. All through the closed Beta testing I did leave my feedback about this also. It is especially annoying on the match screen as thats where you dont have time to play around and look for things and move them around all the time. I want to see the match chat and game long but if I dock it, it takes too much space away from play field and if I dont then it just sits there and takes up the space over the cards on the field.
Two more things.

Sorting tournaments by "description" gives kind of odd results, can't even figure out how they are sorted.

Soorting by Players/Total does not work at all.   
I like this change. In RL magic you can never see how and when a player plays it's cards. Watching a replay gives you advantage that shouldn't be available in my opinion. I see the ppurpuse of replays in reviewing your gameplan or finding some info that you missed while playing so you can check it out later.

I can understand this line of thought but there are those of us that enjoy watching replays for the fun of it.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
In RL magic you can never see how and when a player plays it's cards. Watching a replay gives you advantage that shouldn't be available in my opinion...

At FNM, I can watch the games around me while they are in progress while I am playing my own game. When I'm all done, I can scout whatever match I want that's still in progress.

When you change the filter to show a paticualr type of format it does a visual re-sort which takes a decent amount of time. it's even worse when you re-sort again from say Standard to modern. It woudl be one thign if it just filtered what was active but it filters what is doene as well and that's the time consuming part.
Is it fair to limit the filters to choices of game types that are actually in the schedule?

I'm looking at Formats for limited tournaments and one of the options is 3x SOM and 3x Faction Boosters.

I'm pretty sure that will never be offered again.    

I know that for casual play there are a lot of formats people might want to play, and I know time I play 4-5 games I'll use "most recent" 90% of the time, but it seems like there should be a checkbox or something to get rid of those limited formats that you can't play ever.
In RL magic you can never see how and when a player plays it's cards. Watching a replay gives you advantage that shouldn't be available in my opinion...

At FNM, I can watch the games around me while they are in progress while I am playing my own game. When I'm all done, I can scout whatever match I want that's still in progress.

Can you see the whole game from turn one forwards? Can you hear every single word they communicate during a match? Can you watch it multiple times just to check if they played one card on turn one or not? 

Yes you can scout a player in RL but not to the extend like online. I watched numerous drafts when the person explicitly does not play a certain card (most likely bombs) so other opponents cannot see the card. When was the last time you DID NOT want to play with your best cards in a FNM?
Can you see the whole game from turn one forwards? Can you hear every single word they communicate during a match? Can you watch it multiple times just to check if they played one card on turn one or not? 

Yes you can scout a player in RL but not to the extend like online. I watched numerous drafts when the person explicitly does not play a certain card (most likely bombs) so other opponents cannot see the card. When was the last time you DID NOT want to play with your best cards in a FNM?

This might be one of those things where they decide to deviate from paper because it is "better" and something not practical in paper. Remember that scouting was banned in paper at one point, until it was found to be extremely troublesome to enforce.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

In-progress event replays are not available. You can watch replays from finished events by expanding the + next to a player's name and see all of their replays there. WotC_Lee could not comment about if we will be able to view replays of in-progress events in the future.

Thanks guys, this helped. Any idea if it's possible to go back to the event after watching a game? Now if I close the game I watched, the event window seems to close with it. This makes it cumbersome to watch even just one match, having to open the event and then click the player's + for each game.

And silly feature request to the devs: Pause the replay of a game when I'm zooming in on a card. Presumably I am doing this to read it, and thats's not possible when the game goes on, as the card might move on the screen. Plus while reading that card I can't watch the game, so it would make sense to pause it.
"Leagues are coming and soon."
When hosting a casual game, it automatically starts (after a countdown of 3 seconds) when someone joins. While this might seem like a good idea, it can be problematic. For example, when someone ragequits your game and joins you immediately after - currently we can just cancel the game before starting it. In the new UI, we have no choice and the game just starts.

There needs to be some way to cancel and leave a pre-game lobby when you're auto-matched with somone, beacuse I fought a person with an unfair deck once, and then I got matched with him again, and I didn't see a way to cancel the matchup, so I just conceded as soon as the game started.

3 seconds is too quick imo, you should make it 10 seconds and make it so all players can electively hit a "start" button if everyone's ready and don't want to wait 10 secs.
3s of waiting is good enought for me but I would also like an "I am ready" button before we start.
It seems that you can't do matches in the "Just For Fun" games and can only do matches in "Tournament Practice", now I can understand only matches in Tornament Practice but not being able to do a match in the just for fun is terrible. I have alot of casual decks that get spanked in the tournament practice room where 90% of players have tier 1 decks, so I like playing these decks in the just for fun room but I prefer to play matches, and now I can't. This sucks as now the sideboards I built for these decks are now obsolete. This really needs to be changed for the final version.
There is another option: Geting serious - it has a match structure (so you need your SB).
O.k thanks Kristian I'll check it out.
The list of checkboxes for Format when creating a casual game seems to be alphabetical, with certain ones at the top. Right now, it's Standard, ISD Block, Extended, Legacy, then the rest alphabetically.

Wouldn't it be better to replace Extended with Modern at the top of the list?
All the info for games needs to be visible before you double click the game.  Put all the info in the games list.  Cut back on the filter size and make the game's list wider if need be.  Right now there are 5 columns.  There could easily be 10, showing all the other details you have to double click each game to see.  Completely ridiculous to have to do that.  On v3 I can easliy tell which games are 2hg, 1v1, and which ones are completed or playing simply by looking at the different columns.  Amazing I know.

The filter is a nice idea but now it's slow.

When you double click a game your available decks for that format should pop up instantly.  This is how v3 does it and it makes joining games much faster than what you've done with this.  

Overall a huge step back. Too concerned with looks to care about functionality. 

Can someone explain to me how do you start a 1vs1 Commander game?

Format: Commander
MultiPlayer: Commander

Gives me more then one player.

Format: Commander
MultiPlayer:  1vs1

Gives me one player but only 20 life.

Format: Comander
MultiPlayer: 1vs1 and Commander

I can't host a game...
"Format" should not list choices for which there are no corresponding games offered. It should be possible to filter out "Current/Past games" altogether, likewise for "Featured Tournaments"; the "Format" choices should narrow accordingly. Making "Current/Past games" collapseable and collapsed by default would probably save a boatload of superflous database queries, too.

Selection lists in general should intelligently pare down choices in other selection lists. For example, if you select a deck that is legal in only two formats, only those two formats should appear (or at least be selectable) in the "Format" selection list. If there is only one legal choice, it should be selected automatically. If you select the deck from under the one of the format subsections, that format should be preselected automatically.

Search criteria should be summarized at the top of the list. A number indicating how many selections have been made in a closed group is next to useless.

Search criteria should be saveable in player nameable sets that appear in "Recent Play Choices".

Expanded selection lists should not take up more space than they need. ("Permitted Opponents" on the "Constructed Open Play" tab has two choices, but leaves room for what looks like ten times that number.)

Expanded selection lists should take advantage of an expanded "Game Types" partition to display in multiple columns.

On the "Constructed Open Play" tab in the "Deck" section, the groupings (e.g. "Decks", "Legacy", "Invalid Decks") should stand out more clearly visually from their options.

Currently selected search criteria should be preserved across restarts.

Expanded state of selection lists should be preserved across restarts.

Order and sizing of "Results" columns should be preserved across restarts.

In "Tournament Structure", the "Draft" subsection lists "Single Elim" twice.

I couldn't even find a 2hg to play.  All the tables appear as "classic" "1 game(s)" unless someone denotes it in the comment line you can't tell if it is 1vs1 or multiplayer.  I tried the automatch and it paired me with a 1vs1 and gave me an error message saying the classic deck I have been playing for months is not valid for this format.
I could have created one with something in the comment line but I shouldn't be limited to creating a table should I?

** I deleted my post in the other thread and moved it here.  I didn't realize this thread existed when I made the post**
IMAGE(http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/teufel/devil-smiley-096.gif)
Feel the power! Muhahaha no wonder bubba feel so awesome.
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
Tonight and last night I have been trying to join games, and it always just hangs on "waiting for more players to join."  I verify that seating is 1v1 and not multiplayer.  Am I doing something wrong?  
The problem I am having is determining which game is actually still "waiting for players".

In V3 I could easily tell which game was hung up in La La Land and make sure to only go into recently created games.

You need to either put the time stamp on when the table was created or find a way to clear out those tables that seem to hang around until the next downtime.
Sign In to post comments