Drow Puzzle Hunt

105 posts / 0 new
Last post
The lore is great, again.  The bonus fails again.

Where can one find the "D&D Championship adventure Trial by Shadow"? 

[edit] and is it Zekk or Zek?

The D&D Championship takes place every year at Gen Con and is a really cool challenge. An insane adventure using pregens and designed to challenge the party in many different ways. Tables are scored on time, goals, damage taken and so forth until only one table emerges from the final round. The top three teams get a really sweet set of prizes.

You can read about all the Gen Con events here. (Ashes of Athas, Living Forgotten Realms, and Living Divine events are described in more detail here. Gen Con slot times can be found here.)

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

The D&D Championship takes place every year at Gen Con and is a really cool challenge. An insane adventure using pregens and designed to challenge the party in many different ways. Tables are scored on time, goals, damage taken and so forth until only one table emerges from the final round. The top three teams get a really sweet set of prizes.

Thought as much.

Once upon a time these adventures were published after the event by TSR.  Maybe WotC should reimplement this approach again.  Especially since there are many enthusiasts who are unable to attend events such as GenCon, Pax, and even Encounters [no FLGS].

Once upon a time these adventures were published after the event by TSR.  Maybe WotC should reimplement this approach again.  Especially since there are many enthusiasts who are unable to attend events such as GenCon, Pax, and even Encounters [no FLGS].

Classic adventures like G1-2-3 started as RPGA competitive convention events, but that was back in a time when there were very few other sources of adventures. There are many more sources of adventures today and the economic landscape is very different. Also, the time required for distribution may seem small, but it can be substantial enough to bring release into question. And then there is the question of benefit. Some of the Gen Con Championships from fairly recent years (perhaps even 4E, if not late 3E) were released, but those were not high demand in any way, shape, or form.

There is a benefit to exclusivity. If Encounters were available for download even after the season it would likely cause many to no longer play them in stores. The D&D Championship is meant to be a Gen Con event - it is all about the big event and competing in that setting. The special events are meant to draw players to Gen Con. Knowing you will otherwise miss the events is one of the reasons why you attend.

I would like to see more adventures used in organized play released, don't get me wrong, but this isn't a simple or black-and-white issue.

I do think there are great opportunities to share certain events. The drow PAX East adventure, for example, may have been a better choice for Free RPG Day, as it would have been low level and themed to all of the Drow offerings (including the current Encounter season... it could have even provided XP toward joining Encounters if you had missed some sessions). And, it could then have been available for download to create even more incentive.

Another example is the Gardmore Abbey preview adventure. I think that could have really created interest in the boxed set product because it is such a fantastic way to extend the play experience. It's a shame, really.

Finally, I think organized play for some settings, such as Ashes of Athas, makes a lot of sense. It helps provide content for settings where there is a lack of content and showcases what organized play has to offer. One of the keys (and it isn't simple) is figuring out when to release the content - you don't want to remove the incentive to attend big conventions or any other conventions that also host the content.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

New clue posted. All the week 6 clues are out there now.
Trevor Kidd Community Manager
Week 7 Clues are out:

Clue 1: Rolling farmland and forested vales scattered around the periphery of the Cormanthor forest.

Clue 2: Human deity often depicted as a golden-skinned youth.

Clue 3: House of renegade drow who have infested the forest of Cormanthor for over a century.

*but no reward yet!

-lordofmasks

*but no reward yet!

-lordofmasks

I noticed that too. What's up with that?

The clues were easy, the lore thin, and the reward missing
I thought the solution was always drink your ovaltine?

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

For the first time I just cannot find the answer to the first and last clues, any idea where can I find them? I'm just not too much of a forgotten realms fan to know this.
I found all three answers within the pages of the Forgotten Realms wikia.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

For the first time I just cannot find the answer to the first and last clues, any idea where can I find them? I'm just not too much of a forgotten realms fan to know this.

They are:

Show
1) Dalelands 2) House Jaelre.
Still missing the reward!!! Frown

-lordofmasks
Previous week really sucked. I hope for some nice preview for this one (hopefully not some random ''come to the GenCon to play it'' adventure).
Still missing the reward!!!

-lordofmasks

Oh.  The reward, it seems, is given to you if you go to Gen-Con.  LAME.

On to Week 8, I guess.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Oh.  The reward, it seems, is given to you if you go to Gen-Con.  LAME.

Where'd you find that out? I wouldn't complain if they actually stated it on the page.

fwiw: The week 7 lore says "Played “The Sun Never Rises” at PAX East? Now run this thrilling Gen Con exclusive from the drow’s point of view!"

This is evidently refering to the D&D special adventure "The Dawn of Night" which is going to be one of the events at PAX prime (probably Gen-Con too). By saying "run this exclusive", I'm guessing they were intending to make it available to run (which probably wouldn't be a good idea to do as a download before PAX prime).
fwiw: The week 7 lore says "Played “The Sun Never Rises” at PAX East? Now run this thrilling Gen Con exclusive from the drow’s point of view!"

This is evidently refering to the D&D special adventure "The Dawn of Night" which is going to be one of the events at PAX prime (probably Gen-Con too). By saying "run this exclusive", I'm guessing they were intending to make it available to run (which probably wouldn't be a good idea to do as a download before PAX prime).

I think they mean 'play'. The adventure may be the same story, but now you play it as the evil drow instead of how you would have played at PAX as the heroes. I really like that concept and I'm excited to judge it for folks at Gen Con and PAX Prime!

If any WotC staffers are reading this:

I am loving this type of thing!

I look forward each week to plunging through forgotten lore in order to obtain some secret! Can we keep doing theis sort of thing (and make them more publicized)? In fact (if you ever run out) I bet readers can even offer suggestions for Trivia questions and secret rewards (Lair Assault tips, spoiler map, secret FAQ answers, rule adjudications, prop download, pdf of old material, etc.)

You guys have seriously created an incredibly cool idea here. Thank you.
Clues for Week #8:

1. Magical calamity that struck the world of Toril during the Year of Blue Fire.

2. Ancient Illuskan city delved by dwarven engineers of fabled Delzoun.

3. Matron Mother of the Menzoberranzan noble house whose members conceal their identities with veils or masks while in public.

Now Clue #3 is tricky...
Show
not the full name is needed "Zeerith Qxerlarrin" but just "Qxerlarrin"...got me 5 minutes to get it right.

Reward is awesome ;)

-lordofmasks
Now Clue #3 is tricky

Thank you. I would never have gotten it without that clue, especially since it involved the deadly apostrophe trick _and_ was not the full name.

Wizards, it would be really nice if you could support logical variations of an answer, please!

Now Clue #3 is tricky

Thank you. I would never have gotten it without that clue, especially since it involved the deadly apostrophe trick _and_ was not the full name.

Wizards, it would be really nice if you could support logical variations of an answer, please!

I dont get how to write it, it doesnt work for me as is written in the spoiler.

Got it, there was a speeling error.
With todays clue I got all the others by deduction:

Week #9 clues:

Drow city located deep beneath the Skyfire Emirates.

The fabled Mithral Kingdom of Old Shanatar.

Every century this silver dragon masquerading as a dwarven king is freed from magical stasis as a solid mithral statue.

-lordofmasks

With todays clue I got all the others by deduction:
Week #9 clues:
Drow city located deep beneath the Skyfire Emirates.
The fabled Mithral Kingdom of Old Shanatar.
Every century this silver dragon masquerading as a dwarven king is freed from magical stasis as a solid mithral statue.

Thank you for the clues! Two questions:
- Where do you find these clues?
- Is it ok if we don't provide the actual answers (at least, not until maybe the next week)?
Ok...changed! Smile
And like I said just through deduction after the first clue was given in the dnd homepage.

-lordofmasks

Show
Isn't the answer king mith barak the clanless? because I'm almost sure thats the answer, but no mather what variation of his name I try i just can't get the question right. Maybe im just wrong? can somebody tell me if I'm wrong?
they aren't asking for the kings's name =)

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Dragons of Faerun [3.5]
Roll Call of Dragons Appendix

Indicates the spelling is ********zak, but the puzzle is spelled ********kaz

I have no idea as which is really correct

All week 9 clues are now posted and out there. Have fun!
the first clue was given in the dnd homepage.

Where? I don't see it on the homepage.
the first clue was given in the dnd homepage.

Where? I don't see it on the homepage.

There's one clue on this page every week: www.wizards.com/dnd/Daily.aspx

The top box will often have that day's article, or if there are multiple articles that day, the one from a series (like Legends and Lore or Rule of Three) will be in that spot. The three boxes beneath that hold other stories. The third box has a ticker, so it will cycle from one story to the next. You can find the website clue in that box.

Other clues have been posted in this thread, twitter (by @Wizards_DnD), and also the D&D facebook page.

All week 10 clues are now out there. Have fun!
Week #10 Clues:

#1: Famed drow city and birthplace of Drizzt Do’Urden.
#2: Formal name of the ruling drow house with the fewest high priestesses.
#3: Title of the individual tasked with lighting the great pillar of Narbondel daily.

- lordofmasks

Done

#2: Formal name of the ruling drow house with the fewest high priestesses.

This was a tough one for me as I only have the Menzoberranzan – Box Set for a reference.  In this set there are two ruling houses that tie for the fewest HIGH priestesses, and the one with the least total priestesses was not it

Don’t forget to drop the apostrophe again

The lore was fresh as was the info on the Encounters.  Plus this cover art wasn’t ruined with writing.

All caught up through Week 10.  Love the Drow Puzzle Hunt!

The Encounters info was especially interesting. 
i'm stuck.. Formal name of the ruling drow house with the fewest high priestesses. can someone point me in the right direction? Are they talking about drow houses in Menzoberranzan only?

yes, the answer is the house with the fewest high priestesses.
and I'm stuck with the third question. Isn't the title of the individual tasked with lighting the great pillar of Narbondel, archmage? or am I thinking wrong?
and I'm stuck with the third question. Isn't the title of the individual tasked with lighting the great pillar of Narbondel, archmage? or am I thinking wrong?

Yeah, but you have to type Archmage of Menzoberranzan...