H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

983 posts / 0 new
Last post
And, by the way.

I just ran the final Karavakos fight at the end of P2, and I decided, at pretty much the last minute, to run it as Myrhdraak modded it, now as I remodded it to drop him a couple of levels and add in an immolith and a boneclaw impaler.

It went pretty well, the party played the fight very cautiously, used a couple of wall powers and some forced movement to isolate the ghouls before closing with Karavakos (who was unwilling to leave the 'womb of I can't die here'). They finished the fight with nearly everyone bloodied and out of surges (which is almost how they entered the fight, they didn't have a lot of surges going into the "Gate of Shadow" challenge which turned out to be very punishing).

P3: Encounters

Had some days of during Midsummer vacation in Sweden so I managed to put in some more encounters. Rather than doing it in chronological order, I started to work my way backwards instead. The encounters are not finished, need to add maps and more descriptions. But it helped me in getting a structure in place. Hope to be able to finish of P3 during summer vacation time.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
Myrhdraak please continue through E3. I just found your conversion thread and downloaded your P2 Orcus conversion document. I am very impressed and inspired by your work. I will be working with some of your ideas as I DM my group through P2. We started from H1 and our goal is to get to E3. I just got an Orcus miniature so now we have to get to E3!

Just because they wotc are "shutting down 4e" (whatever that means) doesn't mean we won't be playing for another year or more. For gosh sakes I know of a 3.5 group that only now is playing some 4e. You can't stop now!

P3: Death's Masquerade

I have added some more information on the roleplaying encounter Death's Masquerade [Page 41-47]. I think could become a quite interesting start where the adventurers get a chance to interact with all the major players in the plot line. It will most likely lead into directions that you as a DM can not prepare fully for, but at the same time that is the charm of playing D&D rather than computer games.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
And, by the way.

I just ran the final Karavakos fight at the end of P2, and I decided, at pretty much the last minute, to run it as Myrhdraak modded it, now as I remodded it to drop him a couple of levels and add in an immolith and a boneclaw impaler.

It went pretty well, the party played the fight very cautiously, used a couple of wall powers and some forced movement to isolate the ghouls before closing with Karavakos (who was unwilling to leave the 'womb of I can't die here'). They finished the fight with nearly everyone bloodied and out of surges (which is almost how they entered the fight, they didn't have a lot of surges going into the "Gate of Shadow" challenge which turned out to be very punishing).

Hi Hershall,

Do you think I should incorporate your changes to the fight, or did you do it in order to adjust to your very specific group of players? 
Myrhdraak please continue through E3. I just found your conversion thread and downloaded your P2 Orcus conversion document. I am very impressed and inspired by your work. I will be working with some of your ideas as I DM my group through P2. We started from H1 and our goal is to get to E3. I just got an Orcus miniature so now we have to get to E3!

Just because they wotc are "shutting down 4e" (whatever that means) doesn't mean we won't be playing for another year or more. For gosh sakes I know of a 3.5 group that only now is playing some 4e. You can't stop now!  

I will at least do the monster updates, but as Hershall said, E1-E3 is a quite working plot line. However, I might want to add some flavors. Maybe some tweaks on the Orcus statistics. I read some posts on making the abyssal ship into a more memorable pirate experience. And then I have an idea of creating a super-gargantuam undead monster in E2. Fighting it will be like managing 3 encounters in a row, the final one climbing the body of the undead construct to cut of its head in order to kill it. Maybe you guys out there that have already played E1-E3 have some valuable feedback in how to improve them?

P3: Death's Masquerade

I have finished of the interaction part of the Death's Masquerade [Page 41-49]. This has been the hard part to go through. Now it is just to add a few encounters, and the information in the library and the Raven's Eyrie.

Show

Hi Hershall,

Do you think I should incorporate your changes to the fight, or did you do it in order to adjust to your very specific group of players? 

I actually ran the fight the way you had it, the full, level 20 elite, Karavakos, with just the Lich and Ghouls (and cysts) as backup. The party was level 16, very low on hp/surgesdailies, and they managed to squeak out a victory by playing very defensively.

I was going to run it with a level 18 elite Karavakos, making up the xp different by tossing in a boneclaw impaler and an immolith (and I think I took out a ghoul to get things evened out). I didn't do all that though, and it went fine.

I think I would've run it with my modification had the party been in better condition going into the fight (they were afraid of trying to take an extended rest anywhere in Hordethrone).

I will at least do the monster updates, but as Hershall said, E1-E3 is a quite working plot line. However, I might want to add some flavors. Maybe some tweaks on the Orcus statistics. I read some posts on making the abyssal ship into a more memorable pirate experience. And then I have an idea of creating a super-gargantuam undead monster in E2. Fighting it will be like managing 3 encounters in a row, the final one climbing the body of the undead construct to cut of its head in order to kill it. Maybe you guys out there that have already played E1-E3 have some valuable feedback in how to improve them?

I would *love* to see your take on an updated Orcus. The one in the book is atrocious. I've experimented with a couple of attempts at updating him, to make him more in-line with modern solo design (though sadly the files were eaten by Adventure Tools, so I have to start over).

Hearing you mention it, I'm curious about this absurdly huge undead monster in E2, where it would go and what it would be....

Oh, and I want to say thanks for the P3 conversion you did. Even though I'm not running my party through it, I am making use of the material.

See, I introduced Etherean way back before my group started H2, as a friend of a PC, and the leader of another (slightly lower level) band of adventurers. They kept running into each other, and worked together a bit in P1 before and after Etherean's death, before parting ways, PCs to investigate the Crone's parting words re: Death's Reach, Etherean's group to search for information that might lead to his rescue.

So while the PCs were in the Underdark, the NPCs were having an adventure in Gloomwrought, and in the near future they get to meet up and compare notes. Whee~

Hearing you mention it, I'm curious about this absurdly huge undead monster in E2, where it would go and what it would be....

Well I have not started looking at the details, but I would like to recreate something like this Epic battle in the Gods of War game.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxHk3esxis8&feat...

P3: Monster Update

Finally on vacation. Have started with some of the work updating the monsters in P3 to the new format. Have reached Encounter Z1 [Page 114-126]

Show

P3: Monster Update

Finally on vacation. Have started with some of the work updating the monsters in P3 to the new format. Have reached Encounter Z1 [Page 114-126]

Show

Oh, I really like your take on the shadow hydra. Tying the shifting from the RAW version to the free attack from the 'essentials' version of the hydra should make the critter hard to pin down, and really emphasize the elusive shadow quality of the beast.

You made it huge-sized though. Was that deliberate? I know the essentials hyrdas of that level are huge, but that's going to make that room/fight awfully cramped, and might end up detracting a bit from the hydra's newfound mobility.

P3: Monster Update Finished

I have finished the conversion of all the P3 monsters.

Show
Oh, I really like your take on the shadow hydra. Tying the shifting from the RAW version to the free attack from the 'essentials' version of the hydra should make the critter hard to pin down, and really emphasize the elusive shadow quality of the beast.

You made it huge-sized though. Was that deliberate? I know the essentials hyrdas of that level are huge, but that's going to make that room/fight awfully cramped, and might end up detracting a bit from the hydra's newfound mobility.

The essentials are bigger, and I think it is a better size for the moster. The best way would probably be to just increase the size of the room instead to allow for more movement.

P3: Maquerade Fight

I have started on the Masquerade Fight, which may play out differently based on the adventurers actions during the masquerade. [Page 50-51].

Show

P3: Maquerade Fight Map

I have created a map for the Masquerade Fight, as well as added some minions that will act as the crowd in panic during the encounter. [Page 51-52 + 84].

Show

P3: Maquerade Fight Finished

I finished up the Masquerade Fight encounter [Page 53], and added a house rule for snatching an item [Page 80], which might come in handy as the adventurers might very well be missing their weapons at this point.

Show
Great work on adding some non-combat challenges to this awful adventure Myrhdraak. To be honest, what P3 really needs is for half of the combat encounters to be removed, but with your additions this becomes possible. The Masquerade scene is particularly well done.

P3: Library of the Deathless Palace

I have added information about the library in the Deathless Palace [Page 29-30]. I found some great art by Mike Lim that gives a nice atmosphere to the visit to the library. I have also added a minor quest tied to the consort Feria that will playout with the Rakshasa noble in room K7 [Page 47]. I have also added som success and failure descriptions in the masquerade [Page 51-52]. I have added some information on the Weeping Widow [Page 27].

Show

P3: Crypts of Umberfell

I have added the Crypts of Umberfell, where the characters will find the empty tomb of Sartine and learn her fate [Page 31]. I have also added a small puzzle outside - a writing on the wall that the adventurers might spot. It is also provided in the Player's Handout section [Page 85].

Show

P3: Memory of Sartine Encounter

Finished up G10: Memory of Sartine encounter, where I also updated the map from P3, as well as the picture of the obelisk. Now the text on the floor is Draconic as the text read [Page 62-64]. A large version of the map is in the Battle Map section as well [Page 94]. I have also added a Player's Handout with the full story of Sartine, which the ghost tells them [Page 86-87].

Show

P3: Izran and Amalia

I have started to put some mortar between the bricks, providing more material to the love story between Izran and Amalia, as well as providing role-playing guidance for mediating between the two warring houses [Page 29-31]. I have also started on the two encounters G10: The Undead Manor, and G1a: The Shadow House, which provides some encounters in each of the warring families manors [PAge 64-65].

Show

P3: Maps for the two mansion encounters

Well it is always nicer with some maps, so I created two maps for the monster encounters in Barrowmere and Umberfell Mansion. [Page 64 & 66, 99-100].

Show

P3: Finished mansion encounters

I have finished the description of the mansion encounters. [Page 64-67].

Show
Thank you for sharing your hard work.  I hope your players are enjoying it.

Sadly we do not play that often these days. Maybe live three times a year and then online every second or third week for just a couple of hours - so progress is slow. We are just starting up H2. So it feels a little strange to close down 4th Edition already now. I think I will try to steal some of the best elements in D&D Next and incorporate it into 4th Edition instead. 

Sadly we do not play that often these days. Maybe live three times a year and then online every second or third week for just a couple of hours - so progress is slow. We are just starting up H2. So it feels a little strange to close down 4th Edition already now. I think I will try to steal some of the best elements in D&D Next and incorporate it into 4th Edition instead. 

Good plan, I think I will probably do the same thing

P3: Barrowmere Mansion Maps 
I have created new maps for the final fight versus the undead dragons of Barrowmere Mansion and Caldrus study. [Page 72+75+102-103].

Show

H2: Perditazu Update 
I just played through the House of Silence encounter in H2 and realized that the perditazu (maze demon) supposed to be an elite lurker in my conversion, was not much of a challenge. It was dealing out way to little damage for an elite according to the new Monster Vault guidelines in moster design [Page 118]. I did some changes to make it better. I also made some changes in the order of the encounters in the XP Analysis, to better fit in the recommended order of playing them. This allowed me to check that my players was following the XP progression I wanted to achieve [Page 82].

If you have run through encounter where you found design errors on the monsters, please notify me so I might change it for other DMs.   

Show
If you have run through encounter where you found design errors on the monsters, please notify me so I might change it for other DMs.

Not an error really, but your monster stats do not always reflect the latest WotC updates. I am running the H2 Bar Fight and the hobgoblins and bugbears use the old Monster Manual powers rather than the new Monster Vault powers (eg. Hobgoblin Resilience was dropped and Phalanx Soldier was changed, which makes the hobgoblins less grindy). Note that I am referring to your updated hobgoblins confusingly located at the back of the document. 

Not an error really, but your monster stats do not always reflect the latest WotC updates. I am running the H2 Bar Fight and the hobgoblins and bugbears use the old Monster Manual powers rather than the new Monster Vault powers (eg. Hobgoblin Resilience was dropped and Phalanx Soldier was changed, which makes the hobgoblins less grindy). Note that I am referring to your updated hobgoblins confusingly located at the back of the document. 

I left them that way intentionally. When I ran the bar fight we had a really good encounter so I do not feel that they need to be changed. When the fire started to spread in the room it really surprised the players and created an urgency to stop the fire before it was too late.

P3: Finished Barrowmere encounters

I saw that the scaffoldings were supposed to be made of bones, so I had to update the maps. I have also updated the area descriptions of the encounters [Page 71-75+103-104]. I added a letter on the table to give some insights to the players. [Page 91].

Show

P3: Maps Uploaded

I have uploaded all the latest maps to the Conversion Guide Map pack (compressed RAR file). Resolution is 50 dpi, or 50 pixels per square for those of you wanting to print it or use it in MapTools or someother program.

Show

P3: Maps Uploaded

I have uploaded all the latest maps to the Conversion Guide Map pack (compressed RAR file). Resolution is 50 dpi, or 50 pixels per square for those of you wanting to print it or use it in MapTools or someother program.

Show

Myrhdraak,

I want to thank you for all of your hard work and being generous enough to share with the community.

I started to read your conversions years ago in the hopes that one day I would have a group to DM.  Well that day has finally come.  We had our first session this past weekend and things went very well.

That said, the group is composed of 6PCs.  There are 3 Defenders (2 Paladins and a Fighter) and 3 Strikers (Rogue, Ranger, Warlock).  Do you envision any problems with this party make-up or are there any possible sticking points that I should be aware of?

Thanks again and take care.

Steve
Myrhdraak,

I want to thank you for all of your hard work and being generous enough to share with the community.

I started to read your conversions years ago in the hopes that one day I would have a group to DM.  Well that day has finally come.  We had our first session this past weekend and things went very well.

That said, the group is composed of 6PCs.  There are 3 Defenders (2 Paladins and a Fighter) and 3 Strikers (Rogue, Ranger, Warlock).  Do you envision any problems with this party make-up or are there any possible sticking points that I should be aware of?

Steve

The adventure is built for 5 PCs which can cause you some headache. Either you will have to adjust every encounter by adding extra monsters. I would use the updated monsters which deals out more damage, if I were you. You have two paladins but maybe you should try to encourage somebody to be a cleric instead (as the adventure path is quite undead focused). Then they will have more healing capabilities. You might also consider to reduce the number of healing surges on party members, instead of increasing the numbers of monsters. This could make the battles more risky.
Myrhdraak,

Steve

The adventure is built for 5 PCs which can cause you some headache. Either you will have to adjust every encounter by adding extra monsters. I would use the updated monsters which deals out more damage, if I were you. You have two paladins but maybe you should try to encourage somebody to be a cleric instead (as the adventure path is quite undead focused). Then they will have more healing capabilities. You might also consider to reduce the number of healing surges on party members, instead of increasing the numbers of monsters. This could make the battles more risky.

D&D is actually self adjusting as far as encounter difficulty goes to a reasonable extent. If you have more characters, the encounters will be easier. But that just means you can do more of them in a day before needing a long rest.

We've been playing with 4 characters, and havent found the difficulty overwhelming. We just have long rests a bit sooner.

H1 and H2: Format Update

I did some formatting changes of H1 and H2 as I am about to print them. The major change is that I have taken away the "old" monster statistics and replaced it with then new monster statistics. My guess is that nobody is using the old anyway. I have then added the general monster update for the module in the end of the conversion guide. In H2 I have added the great maps of Mario Sainz Martinez, which I have been using while playing.

In H2 I have made some small changes after playing through the House of Silence and The Horned Crypts. We had a marvellous fight in the House of Silence. First I thought they would just marsh up to the temple hall, but when they saw the blood they turned around and went into the trapped corridor and the fun began. Afraid that all the cressets would blow up, they spread in all different directions. Two got trapped between the fire zones in the corner of the corridor. At that point the hell hounds entered and the maze demon used phasing to attack the other players left in the other corridors. In the end they managed to kill them but one of the characters were just about to roll his third death save when the cleric finally managed to give first aid.    

Show
That's a great improvement to H2 Myrhdraak - I also love the new portraits and maps. Thanks so much for all your hard work - my PCs are about to enter the Chamber of Eyes.
Hi!

Myrhdraak,
you may want to check page 16 of your H1 Keep of the Shadowfell PDF conversion since there is either an omission or a formatting error in it (Ninaran encounter at bar/tavern).

Peter
That's a great improvement to H2 Myrhdraak - I also love the new portraits and maps. Thanks so much for all your hard work - my PCs are about to enter the Chamber of Eyes.

I just added the new H2 maps to the Conversion Guide Maps, if you want to use them for you game session.

/Myrhdraak