Lords of Creation (Forum Game) - OOC Thread

815 posts / 0 new
Last post
while true, dragons are a bit narrow of a scope, having something as broad as creation might be too open. How about dragonkind instead? If you read up on Io on wikipedia, its a little vast as a god would go....I'm not going to be the next Io, but it is at least an insperation. It should be......interesting!

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg)

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Well, I didn't mean that you'd have the creation domain, but rather that Io was creationary. That is, one of the early gods who established the universe. What your gods specific domain would be, I dunno.
I could always make things that go boom! but that might irritate people after a while. Besides, who doesn't like dragons? Also, we'd need something other than plants to be corrupted otherwise this'll get boring really quickly! :P

show

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

The thing is, it's better, under this ruleset, to have a more general domain, because then you can fit more under it. You can take advantage of a creation domain to make dragons or anything else, but making anything but dragons with your dragons domain doesn't let you take advantage of it. And you're not restricted to making things under your domain, you just get benefits from doing so.

EDIT: In that case, I might actually switch to the Death domain. I'll find some other way to fit the garbage people in. I like the idea of being a sort of foil to Thought's Knowledge, but I feel like Loss is too restricting as a domain. 
Well, if Metal is too specific to start with, I can switch to Creation. As it was one of my earliest actions would have been to Craft the Water domain. But if I can take all those under my portfolio... Laughing
@ Joran, While it is probably too broad, perhaps the "Elemental" domain would fit well for your character, Joran, especially if no one else wants to take one of those related domains. Perhaps you could arrange something so that you get that "domain," but the bonus AP is a little more restricted? Or perhaps you only get that domain for a few weeks, with the understanding that you would have to split it later? Or perhaps you'd get that domain, but only get the bonus in a single element? Anywho, point being, it might be good for you to be a dragon god without being limited to dragons. But I don't want to talk you out of what you want to do, either. Just trying to offer options that will give Admins headaches.

@Ara, a shame but understandable. Perhaps "Loss" can be your death god's hobby or something :P

@Toph, perhaps move that LoC sample to the original post, so it is easier for people glancing at the game to find it? Also, if there is need for other samples...

Homebrewed god(s)

Khravus Rein, the goddess of Fire and Ice

At the dawn of creation there was Agrilnost, the eldest god and father to the rest. His first children were desired and obedient, but in time he unknowingly gave birth to Khadesh, the true name of fire, and Pravus, the lord of ice. Agrilnost accepted Pravus as a true god, for ice is stable and constant, which the eldest liked. Fire, however, consumes, and the eldest would tolerate it not. He set his might against the newborn god, and called his other children to help him capture and kill her. However, the lord of beasts, Thrael Kriss, defended Khadesh, believing that all life had a right to earn its place in the world. The master of the hunt and the lord of creation clashed, and Agrilnost was slain.

Perhaps Khadesh and Pravus, siblings though they were, could have come to love each other if it were not for this event, but the slaying of his father for the sake of his sister divorced love from Pravus' heart. Though years passed, ice waited. Eventually he went to war against fire. The two fought and though neither could best the other, neither would surrender. Both were on the verge of death when Pravus, as his only act of love for his sister, decided to let her live. Their power was to entangled to flee, so he gave his heart to her. Khravus held both fire and ice within her, and the two obliterated the god that once was, but she was reborn as Khravus Rein, who held the two elements in balance.

Homebrewed Adventure Locations

Forest of Flesh

A twisted forest where the trees are made from bone and flesh. Creatures that wander into it are attacked by the plantlife, ripped apart, and their corpses used to expand the forest's borders. At the heart of the forest is an ancient, rotten tree. Within it is sealed the Reaper, the serpentine manifestation of death itself, who was imprisoned there by a fey trickster.

Titan's Glacier

Far to the north, in a place that civilized nations ignore, is a great glacier, as tall as the sky is high. Within its blue depth are encassed two godbeasts from the forming of the world, Concordia and Leviathan. These creatures were created to destroy the gods, but they turned on each other. The ensuing rampage threatened to destory creation, and so a small band of gods, led by Harkon Armal, the lord of waters, encased the two in ice. Even so, the two creatures strive to attack each other, occasionally causing great sheets of ice to fall off the glacier.

Naginti

A desert city built underground. Many species reside in its many tunnels, and they are ruled over by The Pharaoh. However, his queen was corrupted by the false god, Isura, and now conspires against her husband along side an Efreet faction within the city. For his part, the Pharaoh has grown paranoid and secretly breeds foul beasts within the heart of the city, so to unleash them on those who would conspire against him. A gnomic faction, lead by a greedy merchant, feeds the pharaoh's paranoia in hopes of gaining significant political power. Furthermore, a goblinoid horde has beseiged the city, with only a small breach, created by the gnomes, offering the city a lifeline to the rest of the world.

EDIT: Ah, I see Kal was thinking about water... Oooo, what if Joran, if he has the "Elemental Domain," creates your god, and gives you Water as your starting domain. Just as his character would be a "god who happens to be a dragon," yours might be a "god who happens to be metal." You'd then, presumably, create Metalic dragons (and in general move towards metally things). Hence, Dragons might depict your god as liquid metal in the shape of a dragon, even if your god isn't so shaped. Sound at all interesting?
Oh! Unless Thought meant we would both have the Knowledge domain, but we would just handle it differently. Is that what you meant?
Oh! Unless Thought meant we would both have the Knowledge domain, but we would just handle it differently. Is that what you meant?

Exactly. Although, if you don't like knowledge, perhaps some other domain that would still encompass the general themes of discovery and loss?
I'm interested in the game (ofc hehe), but still thinking about what kind of god to play, maybe a sun\ligth or fire god for a change, a little zelous, self centered and fanatical, but substantially good, or a god of beasts\hunt more pre-columbian civilizations gods style.
Well, I'd definitely be happy to give you a boost into godhood with that second concept
That Thought was a brilliant idea! Either of them! Both! I'll have to think on a few things, but I like it! Give me a bit to figure it out. I love having fluidic ideas like that that work!

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

Thought does love giving me headaches.  I'm sure I return the favor, though.
I'm sure I return the favor, though.

Not really, actually. I just like coming up with "wow, it would be really cool if..." situations and leave it up to the admins to figure out how such things might actually work. Bwahahaha

Name: The Architect
Symbol: A Human Heart That Is White on the Left Side and Black on the Right Side
Appearance: The Architect appears as a copy of the last person the viewer has wronged, but the Architect's clothes, hair, and eyes are black. The viewer may not realize that they have wronged the person. For example, the Architect might appear as a person's wife because they told her that that dress doesn't make her look fat even though it actually does.
(Proposed) Domain: Punishment
Misc: The Architect's goal is to teach others how to grow from their shortcomings. Such "lessons" can take many forms. Sometimes it may be the reanimated victims of a murderer coming back to kill them. Another time it may be a glutton begins to starve the more he eats. The only constant is that the lesson is costly and ultimately fatal if the student cannot learn what they're suppose to learn from the Architect's game.
--- The Member Formerly Known as GhostVampire
Well that sounds fun!
I'm always up for things which need more people. How does the game itself actually run, though?

Also, can I have Time?

And I like tea, too (though I like real tea, not these herbal infusion things). 
Amen to real tea!

Time is one of the ones that has slight limitations on it to make it reasonable for a forum game (basically, you don't know what everyone else is doing before they do it, even if you do know the future in a fashion)... we tend to attempt to avoid omniscience whenever possible.  Beyond that, I don't see why not!

*looks at the rules*

Oh no, you're right.  We don't actually describe how the game runs.  We were so busy making rules that we forgot the most basic example of them all.

I'll add this to the rules in a moment, but it goes as such:  Each Turn (Usually defined as ~1 week, but it might be faster at the beginning as we have fewer gods and less PP to spend and might be longer later on when we have many gods and a lot of PP), you get PP for the week, divided up as per the rules.  At that point, we RP as in a play-by-post forum game, but instead of skill checks or attack rolls or what have you, when you wish to perform an action that has a lasting effect on the world, you spend your PP.  Other players react to your action, you react to their reactions, and away we go.  I linked to an old game that had a slightly different ruleset (you gained a slow drip of 1 PP/day instead of a reset giving you XPP/turn), but if you read through it, thats basically what you can expect.

Welcome! 
OK, thanks. I would settle for Tea, but I imagine that comes later - Time is pretty awesome, though. Can I spend PP from the future now, and perform actions in the past? Innocent

Speaking of which, is there an actual mechanic for what the domains do, or do you just RP it? For example, I presume everyone can use creation powers even if you don't have the Creation domain?
nvm

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

*laughs*

Yeah, no.

Right, you just RP it.  We're going to be trying to give people a lot of leeway with the domains... basically, as long as you don't have the other players scratching their heads and wondering how in the world making the world have great tea is related to the domain of say... Evil, all will be well. 
Name: Ytzal
Holy Symbol: usually a fang or claw of some dangerous predator, or a feline head sculpted in wood.
Appearance: a large predator common to its worshipers lands, usually some cat like creature, some time as an humanoid with a feline head and features.
(Proposed) Domain: Nature
Misc: to the primitive tribes that worship Ytzal it represents the wonders and dangers of the wilderness, the ferocious beasts, poisonous fruits, natural pitfalls of the untamed lands, hunters pray Ytzal for an abundance of preys, explorers for the safety of their travels, isolated communities to be kept safe from the roaming beasts or from the natural disasters. To civilized people Ytzal also represent the feral desires buried within the hearts and minds of the sentient races, the drive to survive, mate, eat, subdue, the release from social pressure to fulfill the base needs and desires, druidic cults are common among his followers as they are mysteric and hedonistic ones.

Ytzal is both an hunter and a shepherd of nature, it protects and nourish the wildlands and their creatures, yet it hunts down and culls the weak to produce stronger generations, the god does not despise civilization, as it sees it as a natural evolution of sentient races, yet it does not consider it as an excuse for mortals to grow weak and confident in their inventions...

The rituals of worship is rarely peaceful, usually they involve some kind of sacrifice or celebration of the bestial aspects of nature, the god's needs are the same of its creatures, offerings of food, a share of the hunt are not uncommon and usually enough to satisfy Ytzal, but some even sentient creatures are sent to its altars, some are even directly claimed by the god never to be seen again.

Well that sounds fun!

I'm assuming that's about the Architect? lol
Yes.

Okay.  We're starting on Thursday, everyone! 
I'm in. But I'm not picking a domain. Someone throw something they want to bring into the game at me and I'll wing it from there.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I'd actually love to ascend that there god of Punishment. Which I will do if I can swing it. :D
Question.  

For people that know, what skills are you planning on working on primarially?

I'm, obviously, going to be going for Generate with a side order of Empower
Appropriate, my god is probably going to go for about the same stat spread, if perhaps a little more slanted towards Empower.
Question.  

For people that know, what skills are you planning on working on primarially?

I'm, obviously, going to be going for Generate with a side order of Empower

At the moment I'm going to say Generate and Empower for my character as well, but I haven't decided about Impose.
Probably a decent amount of Impose for me. I tend to enjoy making cultures, and if I go with individual races, those all tend to be monoculture then. I'm leaning towards adding diversity to the races others create. And teaching them wacky magic.
I'm thinking I'll be doing mostly  Empower. Seems appropriate.

And then probably add in a decent amount of Impose for funsies. 
No clue. Half the fun will be figuring out where to go once I know what domain I end up with.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
... basically, as long as you don't have the other players scratching their heads and wondering how in the world making the world have great tea is related to the domain of say... Evil, all will be well. 

This one's easy. In American films (which is most of them), the bad guys are always British (or maybe the only British characters are the bad guys). British people drink tea. Thus, villain = tea.
Cool 
... basically, as long as you don't have the other players scratching their heads and wondering how in the world making the world have great tea is related to the domain of say... Evil, all will be well. 

This one's easy. In American films (which is most of them), the bad guys are always British (or maybe the only British characters are the bad guys). British people drink tea. Thus, villain = tea.

Alas, you logic is flawed. Doctor Who is undeniable good. Doctor Who (10th Doctor) was saved by tea (yes, really). Therefore, tea=good and yay.

Anywhom silliness aside, I've been wondering if you might be willing to share with us some ideas of what your wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey god might do/create in game. There aren't that many time gods in RW mythologies, so I have little to no clue what sort of awesomeness to expect.

Alas, you logic is flawed. Doctor Who is undeniable good. Doctor Who (10th Doctor) was saved by tea (yes, really). Therefore, tea=good and yay.

Time_Lord agrees. lol
Ya'll still have room for one more?
One more? Only one more? Are you kidding? We have room for many more! Bring your friends, your family, their friends, and who ever else you want to bring along!

The answer is yes, we have room! :P

Welcome to godhood 101!

show

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I estimate we have room for about 150 more, so I imagine we'll be able to squeeze you in somewhere. :D

IC thread is going up soon.  Then Camu will post as the Elder Thing, and we'll get this show on the road.
And we are begun!  ANUBIS, prepare to SELF-ASCEND!   (once Camu posts...)
Ya'll still have room for one more?

We're always glad to have someone join. Do you have an inkling of what sort of character you might want to play?
Well I was looking to do a more "Buddha" like individial, primarially associated more as a god of psionics. Or if that is not an option perhaps as a space god. Think as in stars, comets, and so forth. Would these be considered to omnipresent or game breaking like?