June: In the Works

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
June: In the Works 
By Bart Caroll 

Well folks,

I've written before about the D&D gifts that came my way around Christmas time. There was the glorious Red Box Basic Set appearing under the tree (and a heck of a lot of other trees) in 1984. Then the Fiend Folio the next year. And the Monster Manual 2 the year after that.

Talk about this column here.

Article Header Image

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

It's weird reading the reminiscences of someone who has fond childhood memories of starting to play the game that date from the same period as when I stopped.

Also, am I missing something or is there basically no actual new D&D coming out?  There's just novels, board games, events, and re-prints.  
- Warlords! Join the 'Officer Country' Group! Join Grognards for 4e, the D&D that changed D&D.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

This is the first time reading a "in the works" that there was not a single product that I wanted.

No actual D&D RPG stuff coming out for the rest of the year, seriously?
A drow sourcebook and Ed Greenwod's FR book are coming out in August and October, respectively. That is if you're interested in fluff heavy books with basically no crunch (according to what has been said) and if you like the FR...
yeah..looks like the coming months are going to be a barren wasteland...even the daily articles get more excerps from a 30 years old game we don't care about if we didn't owned those books...like 25 years ago, than actual content we actually care...i miss the days when used to get so much content per month...now releases are getting too slow...
The Menzoberranzen book and Ed Greenwood FR book are a sure sign that there will be no more 4e books. These are gap filler books that will certainly sell many copies due to the loyal following of fans. WotC clearly has no faith that 4e books will sell anymore. It's like when 3.x came to an end we saw the "Grand History of the Realms". In order to keep some revenue trickling in they turn to their old faithful cash cows of Drizzt and Elminster.

I would bet a large sum of money that the 5e playtest is going to get as fast-tracked as possible. D&D Next will be for sale at Gen Con 2013.
def wont be buying menzo or the other fr book, especially given i have the old 2e menzo thats like 5 times the content of the thin edition-neutral book.

the only thing im looking forward to is tiles and map packs
The Menzoberranzen book and Ed Greenwood FR book are a sure sign that there will be no more 4e books. These are gap filler books that will certainly sell many copies due to the loyal following of fans. WotC clearly has no faith that 4e books will sell anymore. It's like when 3.x came to an end we saw the "Grand History of the Realms". In order to keep some revenue trickling in they turn to their old faithful cash cows of Drizzt and Elminster.

I would bet a large sum of money that the 5e playtest is going to get as fast-tracked as possible. D&D Next will be for sale at Gen Con 2013.

I think you’re correct about the fast track.  I wonder about WOTC’s strategy – announcing a new edition but not giving a timeline for its release.  Without new product in the pipeline I suspect some fans (even loyal ones) will find something else to spend their money on.