Questions about D&D Next Rules and Terms

First question from reading the basic rules and looking over the character sheet.

The play test rules mention "weapon training" but don't go into detail about how exactly that training effects a characters ability to use a weapon (ie: what bonus is applied). Looking at the Dwarf Fighter it would seem that the bonus is +3 for his axe, but the halflings dagger bonus only seems to be a +2.

How do we determine (as players) what bonus if any we get with any particular weapon? If we want to switch (say, to a flail for the fighter or to a rapier for the rogue) how do we calculate new attack modifiers?

So, first of many I'm sure. So far (general feedback) like what I see.
I_Roll_20s @twitter. Not always SFW. I may prefer 4e, but I will play and enjoy almost any edition, and indeed almost any table top RPG, with my friends. Down with Edition Wars. Shut up and roll your dice. :P
Good question, and one that I am sure will be released in future iterations of the playtest. Just remember that this first playtest packet is focusing in on specific areas of the game, which looks to be the core mechanics. The math of the system will likely come out later on.
Matt James Freelance Game Designer Loremaster.org

Follow me on Twitter!
Oh, I know or I'd be whining about why I can't make a tiefling warlord. ;) I just find it odd to include a list of weapons for characters to use, but not how to implement them into the game.
I_Roll_20s @twitter. Not always SFW. I may prefer 4e, but I will play and enjoy almost any edition, and indeed almost any table top RPG, with my friends. Down with Edition Wars. Shut up and roll your dice. :P
As pregen characters, they probably don't have the full item tables.  They may not be in the current packet - I haven't had a chance to read it yet.  But they were in prior packets, and I would expect them to return once we have full character creation rules.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
As pregen characters, they probably don't have the full item tables.  They may not be in the current packet - I haven't had a chance to read it yet.  But they were in prior packets, and I would expect them to return once we have full character creation rules.

The How to Play document has a small table of various weapons you can use (as well as different armor types), but without knowing where the mysterious bonuses to attacks are coming from, they can't actually be used.

I haven't looked over the module that closely, but I have to assume there's treasure in there that is of a weapon type different than the ones the pregens have. We need to know where those numbers are coming from, heh.
Sign In to post comments