H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

972 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Kalarel Apparition is not part of the new Burial Site encounter.

You might want to add this information to the conversion document. The description of the Burial Site only describes Agrid's role and behaviour and the mirror as a cursed item (very nice by the way!).
Removing Kalarel's apparition from the encounter also makes it far easier (an easy LVL1 encounter for a 5PC group). This change is also not implemented in the XP calculation chart.

I decided to keep the apparition in the encounter. I like it's powers (especially "raising dead minions") and the foreshadowing it gives. In my version the apparition has been "overseeing" the excavation site without Agrid knowing. This makes him even more inclined to "spill the guts" about his employer.

The Conversion Guide is based on the original H1 adventure. The later published free to download version have some changes made to it. The original A4 encounter is Level 1 (599 XP) with a Halfling Slinger (Lvl 1 Artillery), that has been changed to the Apparition (Lvl 4 Controller) in the new H1 version, making the encounter a Level 2 Encounter (674 XP). I will have to consider if I want to update the Conversion to the new free download version (which will take time from the P3 conversion), or leave it as it is.

P3: Gloomwrought Appendix

I have taken the “Reign of Despair” adventure in Dungeon #391, which I intend to rework to use as the skeleton which to build the storyline of the Gloomwrought adventure on. It looks like a really good adventure, and I think the story will fit quite nicely into what I am after. So far I have not reworked all the background data of all the characters appearing yet, but I publish it anyway so you get a chance to have a look at it.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

P3: The Keepers

I have added the Keepers from the Gloomwrought book as they are going to play a central role in this part of the adventure. I have remade the whole background part of the Keepers, having them being created by Nera, before she rose and became the Raven Queen, as well how necrotic experiements have turned some Keepers into servants of Orcus, looking for memories of Sartine [Page 22-24].

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

P3: Arrival in the Eyrie

I will wait with updating all the characters, main reason is that I have not all the details ready in my head, but I think it will sort itself out as I start building the adventure in Gloomwrought.
I have added some info what happens as the adventurers step through the portal and into the Raven's Eyrie in the Vecna's Own [Page 12].

I have also started the work on the Ebony Guard welcome committee, that the adventurers will experience as the emerge through the portal, bearing the mark of Vecna on their foreheads. Soon the characters will either realize that they are by far outnumbered and need to flee over the rooftops of the Raven's Eyrie, or they discover that one of the Ebony Guard is in reality a Visage. That exposure will allow them to win the confidence of the Ebony Guard.

Show
Hi!

Myrhdraak, when you get a chance could you check your download links. I cannot seem to completely download any of them. They get "stuck" somewhere around 250k download worth of data and progress no further than that. I have a 60meg download 8 meg upload and my specs on my end seem nominal.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Primarch
Hi!

Myrhdraak, when you get a chance could you check your download links. I cannot seem to completely download any of them. They get "stuck" somewhere around 250k download worth of data and progress no further than that. I have a 60meg download 8 meg upload and my specs on my end seem nominal.

Primarch

Hi Primarch1,

I have tried it myself and do not get this problem. Is this a problem you have had lately or for a long time? The servers are residing in Sweden, so depending on where you live it might be the distance that causes delays and lost packages. Have somebody else experienced this problem? Could you try it again with right clicking on the link and "save target as..."   

P3: Arrival in the Eyrie Map

I have added a map to the "Arrival in the Eyrie" encounter. I used an old map from the Sharn: City of Towers as the basis and then added some stuff to it. Maybe not the best map I have done, but I think it will serve as an exiting battle, where the characters need to find the best way to the roofs in order to escape the Ebony Guard. I have updated the Map pack as well.

Show

P3: Rooftop Chase

I have added the Rooftop chase encounter from the Gloomwrought encounter compendium, with some modification. I have also added more info on the Ebony Guard encounter before it. I will add some more descriptions later to the chase in order to make it more vivid.

Show

P3: A Wild Ride

I have added a modified version of the "A Wild Ride" ecnounter from Dungeon 191 "Reign of Despair" [Page 29-31+49]. The modkification is increasing the challenge level of the encounter but is also introducing the Keepers that try to steal the memories of Sartine from Amalia and the players.

Show
Hi!

Primarch

Hi Primarch1,

I have tried it myself and do not get this problem. Is this a problem you have had lately or for a long time? The servers are residing in Sweden, so depending on where you live it might be the distance that causes delays and lost packages. Have somebody else experienced this problem? Could you try it again with right clicking on the link and "save target as..."   

Hi!

Sorry for the late response, but it took me a while to track down the cause of the problem and its resolution.

I noticed it only happened on one of my computers. I use the Firefox browser on all of them. I did notice it may have something to do with the adobe plugin for the browser. Once I check the version I realized the computer with the problem had a very outdated version of the plugin. Once updated the problem was solved!

For those using Firefox, go to:

TOOLS-Add ons and click the link at the very top that says "Check to see if plugins are up to date". You will see all outdated plugins. If your adobe plugin is outdated then your downloads will freeze and not complete.

Primarch

P3: City of Midnight

Even if you have bought the "Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and beyond" material, I usually find it hard to find all the material at your fingertips when you are running the adventure. I have therefore started with providing some FAQ answers to help me (and you I guess) to run the City of Midnight, as well as some descriptions to get the right mood. [Page 21-23]

Show
I just started to browse through the adventure (finally, I have downloaded it weeks ago), and although I haven't read it yet, I do think that "the troll raid" part is just simply brilliant!
I just started to browse through the adventure (finally, I have downloaded it weeks ago), and although I haven't read it yet, I do think that "the troll raid" part is just simply brilliant!

I am looking forward to that part as well. I think it can be a good fight, with some great scenes.

/Myrhdraak  
I can report that my players *loved* the troll raid. It really underlined for them that they were now operating on a different scale of power (directing the preparations and leading the guards instead of just fighting alongside them).

The key thing to remember when you're running the accompanying encounters is to highlight the effects their preparations made (monsters already killed, features only present because of the work they put in, etc). There were lots of high-fives around the table during those sessions as plans different people had championed proved their worth.

-Hersh

Hi Myrhdraak,

we just started playing the Thunderspire Labyrinth using your conversion. Thank you very much for you fabulous work. Your material
adds a lot of value to the original adventure. As a DM I find very useful your updated monsters list. While reading the stats, however,
I found some numbers that I did not understand. Maybe they are deliberate decisions or maybe typos. In any case, I report a list
below. Hope this help.

A1-1: into the Mountain

Hobgoblin Soldier: why "Formation Strike" is +5 vs. AC while the basic
attack with the flail by the same creature is +8 vs. AC?

Hobgoblin Warcaster: The "Force Pulse" power deals 1d6+5 damage even
if this is a recharge 6 power. [According to UDMG (updated Dungeon
Master Guide) it should be from 20% to 50% higher, that is roughly
from 1d8+6 to 2d6+5]

C2: Guard Room

Bugbear Warrior: The encounter power "Skulthumper" deals 2d8+7 damage,
the same amount of the basic attack. [According to UDMG (updated
Dungeon Master Guide) considering that this damage is already
increased by 25% from the baseline level for the brute nature of the
bugbear, it should probably be increased further by another 2-3
points, in a range from around 2d8+9 to 3d6+9]

C3: Refectory

Hobgoblin Soldier: why this creature looses "Formation Strike" and
gains an attack with the hand crossbow? BTW the latter ranged weapon
does not appear in the equipment.

Human bandit: why this creature gains the ability of shifting 1
sq. when attacking with the dagger?

A2-1 Grimmershul Trading Post

This is the first combat encounter with Duergar. The statistics for
these monsters provided in MV (Monster Vault) differ notably from
those reported in the original adventure. The same is true for the
stats in MM2. I guess you adopted MV when possible for the stats of
these monsters and when MV lacked the monster, MM2 has been the
reference.

Duergar Guard: the number of these monsters is 4, not 2

Duergar Theurge: why perception +11? the entry in MM2 reads +6 and
this number is obtained from the wisdom modifier. Why "Wave of
Despair" yields 1d10+7 psychic damage instead of the 3d6+4 of the two
recharge powers? this is actually the number in MM2 and seems roughly
in line with the new monster math.

Hi Myrhdraak,

Our group is almost finished your conversion of P2.  We will be battling Vard and Vyrellis tomorrow. We started on these Orcus versions from the end of H2.

I think it is fantastic to have these flavourful versions, with a much more meaningful story to hold it all together - even within each module.  All of our group really appreciates it.  The victory point system in the battle of Moonstair was good and gave a sense that even winning the fights the party were in might not be enough.  In the Celduilon skill challenges with the various nobles we even had party members treading on highborn lady's toes while dancing with them, trying to determine the truth of the sitution.

I have been DMing P1 (and did the non-converted H1 and H2).  A different DM did H3, and we hope to change over again for P3.  Your cross references and continuity help greatly with these changeovers.  Providing the updated monster stats is fantastic, and I hope they are ready for P2 (which I haven't been reading since I will be a mere player).

Keep up the good work!

Hi Myrhdraak,

we just started playing the Thunderspire Labyrinth using your conversion. Thank you very much for you fabulous work. Your material
adds a lot of value to the original adventure. As a DM I find very useful your updated monsters list. While reading the stats, however,
I found some numbers that I did not understand. Maybe they are deliberate decisions or maybe typos. In any case, I report a list
below. Hope this help.

from 1d8+6 to 2d6+5]

reference.

Thanks for the feedback I will go over them. As I am playing H2 right now myself I found it needed some updates here and there which I also are going to add

H1: Monster Update

I was asked a long time ago to do an update of the monsters in H1. I never did that, but as I was thinking of actually printing these out professionally (for my own use), I thought about making them complete, so I just added half of the encounters this weekend. Some of the encounters could be quite interesting with the new statistics, making them more of a challenge.

Show

Hi Myrhdraak,

below. Hope this help.

from 1d8+6 to 2d6+5]

reference.

I stand corrected. Thank you for spotting those faults. I have updated the document.

In the beginning I made all these by hand (which took ages). Then I learnt how to copy them from the WotC Adventure Tool, which I hope brought down the number of faults as well. But please report any figures you think are faulty - they might very well be.

One reflection with the warcaster is that they get a lot of "limited use" powers that should bring up the damage of the powers. But as they get so many of them they can use them over several rounds, causing the average damage to be more in line with a brute than anything else. In later monsters you do not see this anymore from the WotC design team, as I think they have become more balanced.

H1: Monster Update Finished

I have now updated all the monsters in H1 to the new Monsters Vault rules.

Show
Myrhdraak, my PCs have just defeated the hobgoblins in H1 - really enjoying your conversion.

Since you are updating your H1 monsters, perhaps reconsider a power you gave to Tra'ak (the hobgoblin commander from H1):

Battle Lord Tactics * At-Will
Trigger: The hobgoblin flanks an enemy.
Effect (Immediate Reaction): The hobgoblin and its allies deal an
extra 1d6 damage against the enemy being flanked.

This power as written makes absolutely no sense on a number of levels, not least as it can't be used during Tra'ak's turn. It should be rewritten as:

Battle Lord Tactics
Tra'ak and his allies deal an extra d6 damage against enemies that Tra'ak flanks. 
Myrhdraak, my PCs have just defeated the hobgoblins in H1 - really enjoying your conversion.

Since you are updating your H1 monsters, perhaps reconsider a power you gave to Tra'ak (the hobgoblin commander from H1):

This power as written makes absolutely no sense on a number of levels, not least as it can't be used during Tra'ak's turn. It should be rewritten as:

Battle Lord Tactics
Tra'ak and his allies deal an extra d6 damage against enemies that Tra'ak flanks. 

You spotted the weak link before I updated it. My own experience was also that Tra'ak was not any real challenge. He needs to be given at least two attacks, considering he is Elite. They old templates from the DMG do not really create a worthy enemy if you do not do some extra changes to them. I am intending to change Tra'ak, but have not had the time to do it yet.

Hi Myrhdraak,
as posted previously, my group and I love these versions of the scenarios.

One suggestion - could you add versioning information, or dates onto the documents somewhere as they are updated?  I find it difficult to tell what version I already have, and if it has changed from the one's currently available.

keep up the great work.

Battle Lord Tactics

I have updated Ta'aks statistics in line with what you have suggested. I have also added "Commander's Strike" which allows him to command an extra melee basic attack from an ally within 5 squares from him. This will give him two attacks per round, which is more in line with the new design rules for elite monsters.
Hi Myrhdraak,
as posted previously, my group and I love these versions of the scenarios.

One suggestion - could you add versioning information, or dates onto the documents somewhere as they are updated?  I find it difficult to tell what version I already have, and if it has changed from the one's currently available.

keep up the great work.

Sounds like a good idea. I have added a date to the Monster Update document, and will do the same with the other ones as soon as I update them.

H1: Update Finished

Now I hope I have finished the H1 update, both in the Monster Update document as well as the H1 Conversion Guide. I have added the traps in the monster conversion, as well as gone through the skill challenges in the conversion guide. I also did an update of the Rod of Ruins concordance score, in order to make it work more smoothly in the adventure (based on own experience). I also updated the Chamber of Statues encounter which my players had not problems with. By increasing the warrior statue reach, the room can become a worthy challenge.

Show

H2: Some Additions

As I am playing H2 right now I have done some additions to this adventure:
- I have added NPC Portraits [Page 84-86]
- I added some DM guidelines into how to incorporate the Minotaur Ruins [Page 64]
- I added some story ties to the Minotaur Ruins encounters in order to help the adventurers to find the Orb of Light, rather than stumbling over it [Page 65-66, 71, 74]
- I added a note in the ritual book in the Court of Bones [Page 90]
- I added some background information and a picture of the Shadow Binder [Page 13]

Show
I also updated the Chamber of Statues encounter which my players had not problems with. By increasing the warrior statue reach, the room can become a worthy challenge

Good work Myrhdraak - we are in the Chamber of Statues at the moment and I had made exactly the same changes as you suggested here - great minds.

P3: Maps of Gloomwrought

I have taken some photos of the Gloomwrought Maps from the  "The Shadowfell" box. I have added the overall map [Page 44], and a detailed map of the area where the adventure will play out [Page 23]

Show

P3: Map Keys and Gossip

I have put some focus in providing simple background information that can be used
for this part of the adventure in Gloomwrought. Short map keys [Page 21+23], and likely questions about the city itself [Page 23-24], and then a Rumor and Gossip part which the players can pick up during their investigation [Page 25].
Next part will be to look into the clues spread out over Gloomwrought about Sartine. 

Show

P2: Added a picture

I found this great picture on Deviantart.com that really looked like my picture of the Shadow Womb, by the artist michalivan [Page 52]. I just had to add it.

Show

P3: Vistani

I have added the Seach for Clues chapter, which details the different areas the characters can visit in order to find clues about Sartine [Page 26]. I have also added the Vistani skill challenge encounter [Page 34-35] where the adventurers can get a cryptic glimpse of the future (based on the Dungeon 191 adventure in Gloomwrought). I have also added a version of the "Deck of Many Things", which I call the deck of fate, which the characters can choose to take from if they wish. 

Show
Your conversions are absolutely amazing for what I wanted in my homebrew Vale. My players have just finished H1 and will be continuing the series, however I am using the Mirror of Shaodws (which a player had sold to Bairwin for a hefty sum of gold) as an instrument to raise the Winter King, who will be the emporer who had defeated Karavakos over the long winter. Now he has been raised by Orcus and his anger towards the Raven Queen for cursing him. Hopefully some more work with converting more of that story will provide an exiting interlude before plunging into the Thunderspire.
Your conversions are absolutely amazing for what I wanted in my homebrew Vale. My players have just finished H1 and will be continuing the series, however I am using the Mirror of Shaodws (which a player had sold to Bairwin for a hefty sum of gold) as an instrument to raise the Winter King, who will be the emporer who had defeated Karavakos over the long winter. Now he has been raised by Orcus and his anger towards the Raven Queen for cursing him. Hopefully some more work with converting more of that story will provide an exiting interlude before plunging into the Thunderspire.

Sounds like a great interlude. Glad you liked the conversion.

/Myrhdraak
WHAT THE ****!!!!
THEY MOVED THE WHOLE THREAD!!!!!! 
WHAT THE ****!!!!
THEY MOVED THE WHOLE THREAD!!!!!! 

Are people still posting?  I don't get the moving of the thread?
I will finish of P3 at least, even though they are shutting down 4th Edition, which I personally think is a big shame. Have been busy at work and home, so I have not had the time ot add the new encounters I am planning on introducing.

/Myrhdraak 
I will finish of P3 at least, even though they are shutting down 4th Edition, which I personally think is a big shame. Have been busy at work and home, so I have not had the time ot add the new encounters I am planning on introducing.

/Myrhdraak 

It will be a real shame if this doesnt get finished through to E3. But regardless, we really appreciate all the work you've put in on this.

Its turned a fairly unmemorable set of unrelated scenario's into a connected memorable campaign.
I think it will be a while before they bring in 5E yet, so you have some time still Myrhdraak. And it is quite probable that anyone already part-way through your series will finish the entire thing before 'upgrading' to the next edition, so if you have the time and energy I'd also encourage you to complete this wonderful project all the way to E3.

I will finish of P3 at least...

In case anyone is about to run P3, I made a set of encounter maps for that module here: www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.ph... ; might be useful for someone.
Honestly, P3 is the last module that really *needs* conversion. The epic trio is already very well tied together, already focus around the conflict with Orcus, and the changes Myrhdraak made to H1-P3 already has the plot of the arc growing naturally into the beginning of E1.

I'm not saying Myrhdraak's tweaks and extra material wouldn't be awesome, I'm just saying that's a good place to end the project if it has to end early.