Epic Solo Updates – The Gods Project

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've posted a draft of the Raven Queen.  Let me know what you think. 

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for the remaining gods? 

Any requests for who to stat next? 
@ Asmodeus

The peculiar trait that lets him take his two turns worth of actions over the course of the round is interesting to say the least... "Not so fast heroes, I shall always have the first and final say..."

That aura of his is absolutely evil. any character that ever thinks of going close range will suffer from it, or if they want to avoid it, they will have to pay for it with wasted actions.

The hellfire pillar is slightly vague on how long the pillar itself lasts... end of encounter?

And as you noted, he does appear to have an overload on powers, especially minor ones which are superior to most of his at-will standards.

Also, the manner in which his abilities recharge is unclear. Since you can use a minor action power with a standard action, does that mean he makes recharge rolls for his rod and the other minor abilites whenever he gets an action?

might type more, but gotta eat~
@ Asmodeus

The peculiar trait that lets him take his two turns worth of actions over the course of the round is interesting to say the least... "Not so fast heroes, I shall always have the first and final say..."

That aura of his is absolutely evil. any character that ever thinks of going close range will suffer from it, or if they want to avoid it, they will have to pay for it with wasted actions.

The hellfire pillar is slightly vague on how long the pillar itself lasts... end of encounter?

And as you noted, he does appear to have an overload on powers, especially minor ones which are superior to most of his at-will standards.

Also, the manner in which his abilities recharge is unclear. Since you can use a minor action power with a standard action, does that mean he makes recharge rolls for his rod and the other minor abilites whenever he gets an action?

might type more, but gotta eat~

Xervous,
Thank you for the comments.  Good point about the pillar - I ment to say until the end of the encounter - I will have to add that.

The recharges powers were hard to describe because of they way he gets to use his actions.  The intent was that before he wants to use a standard power he gets to roll for standard powers that recharge, if he intends to use a minor power he can roll recharges for minor powers, etc.  I will have to look at way to simplfy/clarify it.

I felt I had to give him powers to use without the Ruby Rod and I felt that he had to have the ruby rod  - so the power expansion.  I might look at removing one or two.

I can check the damages, but I am pretty sure they are correct.  The minor recharges should be approximately the same damage as standard powers or  a little higher (depending on the recharge)  I typically increase dmg x 1.5 for recharge 5,6 and and then reduce it by .75 for minor actions (so this comes out a little higher than a std non-recharge) .  Perhaps I should use .5 for minors, but there is no guideline and these are gods, so the more dmg the berrer I think.

Anyway. I will look him over again and clean him up.  And thank you for the help with Asmodeus.

I am working on Zehir next if you have any ideas I would love some help.
@ Xervous
I updated Asmodeus. 
To streamline his powers I got rid of a redundant standard power (Crushing Rod) and eliminated a minor power (unholy word).  I revised Symbol of Pain to incorporate some of the aspects of Unholy word.

I clarfied Hellfire Pillar and revised the description of how he rolls for recharges.

I reviewed his damage out put and tweaked a few.  Nothing major, but a few adjustments.
Now that is a lot neater aside from the spelling errors that inevitably occur.

I like the Raven queen. The lower hp and deadly status conditions suggest that the fight would be a lot more intense than a fight with some giant stay-puff marshmallow man.

Now that is a lot neater aside from the spelling errors that inevitably occur.

I like the Raven queen. The lower hp and deadly status conditions suggest that the fight would be a lot more intense than a fight with some giant stay-puff marshmallow man.

Aaaargh!  Now I will have to go back and spell check it!  I knew I should have the first time.

Raven queen:  I hope so, that was my intent to make up for the lower hp.

I'm working on Zehir next - any thoughts.

I was pondering doing a lurker/brute mix ala Lolth with a giant snake form.  I also had the idea that he would create zones of darkness that he could "lurk" in and teleport between the various zone and the PCs would not know which zone he was in.  I had some other ideas, but they escape me at the moment.
zones of darkness sound interesting, in the way of a multidoored jack in the box ... of doom.
da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da Saving throw vs. death?

also; he needs to have some nasty poison abilities, probably a swallow, a constrict, and maybe a trample.
zones of darkness sound interesting, in the way of a multidoored jack in the box ... of doom.
da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da Saving throw vs. death?

also; he needs to have some nasty poison abilities, probably a swallow, a constrict, and maybe a trample.

Yes, lots of poison.  I've got a good start on him, but haven't time to work on it lately.  I should be able to put a draft up early next week.
I just posted a draft of Zehir finally - half way through the pantheon.  It  took me longer than expected, but it is a good start (both Zehir and the pantheon).  I tried some new things with Zehir, so I hope it works out.

I have some revisions to Asmodeus, Bahamut, the Raven Queen and Tiamat pretty much complete.   I hope to post them tomorrow - I'm to tired right now.  

Xervous, the draft of Zehir is up.  I would love to hear your thoughts.
I've posted a minor update of Asmodeus.  I wanted to make his aura a little less powerful and I corrected some spelling
Updated Bahamut - increased his Con/HP to reflect the colossal size of his dragon form.
Updated the Raven Queen.  I reduced her level to 34.  She is often referred to as the youngest of the gods, as such I put at the bottom.  This is where I originally had her, but then moved her up when I saw the fan made lvl 37 version.  After some more thought I have decided to go back to my original concept.

I know some will argue that with such important portfolios as fate and death she must be higher in level.  But I don't see it that way in general, but definitely not 4e.  In 4e the gods control/influence over their portfolios appears pretty limited.  In addition, RQ has been shackled by the other gods (her lack of control over dead souls) and she was defeated by Orcus a lvl 33 threat.  So I think lvl 34 seems about right to me.  Feel free to argue or change in your own campaign.

Which brings me to the another subject.  If anyone wants the .monster files for any of the gods or demon lords that I have made, please PM your email address and I will send them to you.  I can also send you the pdf files (higher quality) if you want as well.     
I updated Tiamat.  Revised her Con, Fort and HP to reflect her massive form.  Moved Claw to a minor action, tweaked damages here and there.  I gave the white head a unique at-will power and removed its encounter power and cleaned up the head only stat blocks in general.

I am thinking of doing Pelor next if anyone has any good ideas for him (besides radiant powers).  That being said I seem to be in the process of revising the first half of the Pantheon, so it may be awhile before I get to a new god.  I already have plans to revise Vecna and Moradin a little, so I might as well look at all of them again.
I couldn't help myself.  I've posted a draft of Pelor.  I used a quick and simple approach to bang it out.  Any thoughts for improvement?
Ok, before embarking on the last 9 of the greater gods I decided to review what I had done so far.  Well, I found something to correct or tweak with every one of them.  So I will be updating them this week (about 1 per day).  I will try to consider these final drafts, unless someone has some suggestions to make them better.

I am going through them in alphabetic order, so I have posted the revisions to Asmodeus and Bahamut will be next.  After I get through all of the revisions I will start the next god (with maybe some rest between).

I am thinking of doing Melora or Gruumsh next.  Any thoughts?
I've updated Bahamut to final draft, unless someone has some suggestions for improvement
I've posted an update to Bane.  Changed the names and tweaked a few powers, mostly on the God of Conquest (was Imperator).

Bane and Bahamut have made me think that to truly portray gods they should have multiple stat blocks.  Depending on the situation you pick the one that you need. 
I've updated Lolth.  Really minor update.  Tweaked some damage and allowed scourge to attack 1 or 2 creatures.

I will try in finish my updates by the end of this coming weekend and then on to new gods.  I am pretty far along with a draft of Kord and I have a good start with Gruumsh.

Until the next update!   
Well I'm back...

I like what you did with Zehir, most notably the attack template, the justifiably nasty effects (save against death :D), and the nice tidbits of flavor text.

I also got some ideas, take em for what you will, I've been playing WAAAY too much DotA 2

Sehanine: mounted archer perhaps? Or we might have yet another god with multiple forms (not at all a bad thing)

erathis: a slight bit of steampunk perhaps, legendary book of law in one hand?
- but what weapon would he wield? A fasces? (roman symbol of the law)
Well I'm back...

I like what you did with Zehir, most notably the attack template, the justifiably nasty effects (save against death :D), and the nice tidbits of flavor text.

I also got some ideas, take em for what you will, I've been playing WAAAY too much DotA 2

Sehanine: mounted archer perhaps? Or we might have yet another god with multiple forms (not at all a bad thing)

Xervous, nice to have you back and I'm glad you liked Zehir.

Multiple forms:  I've been thinking lately about a 4e Deities and Demigods book and the nature of gods.  I think I would explain that the stats present are just one possible incarantion (a selection of favored powers if you will).  Then provide a section of alternate powers for each god.  I might also have mutiple stat blocks for different forms of the same god.  I also think I would also say gods have surges (1/2 lvls?) and can use them as a minor action and can use them to cast ritual like powers (provide a list of preferred "rituals" for each god and the cost in surges/actions).  Finally I would say that the stat block's presented assume the god has spent all of its surges for the day, but the DM may decide otherwise.  Basically make gods more "divine"

I definitely like the steampunk idea for Erathis, that justs sounds great.  However, I am not sure how (yet) to get that accross in the stat block.  Though I imaging he makes so area walls!

Not sure about Sehanine, don't know much about her.

I am finish Kord and then have a bunch of ideas for Gruumsh (brutes just seem to be easier), but after that I would love to take on Erathis if your willing to give a helping hand.       
I've updated Maglubiyet and Moradin.  Very minor tweaks to Maglubiyet. 

I made one big change to Moradin.  Since he is a god of creation/craft I decided to give him a creatorly power.  No he can create Colossi of Morading to fight along side him.  Not sure this the best way to handle that attribute of Moradin, but I thought I would give it a try. I may need to lower his AC as it is really high.
Updated the Raven Queen.  Very minor tweaks to damage, hp.  I did reduce the use of "Fate's Master" to 4 from 5.

I've got 4 more gods on my update list and then I will work on the drafts for Kord and Gruumsh
Well I'm back...

Xervous,
I just posted a draft of Kord - let me know what you think if you get a minute.

Next up Gruumsh and then Erathis 
I've updated Tiamat.  I big update this time with information from a playtest conducted over the weekend.  I revised her actions to be more similar to the other gods; 2 turns + an instinctive action to get each head active instead of 5 partial turns.  I think this plays better (it worked well in the play test).  The other big change I made after the play test is to her damage. 

Even with the updated MM3 lvl 36 brute damage she couldn't keep up with the tactically poor and unoptimized PCs she went against (she did kill 3 of the 5 before going down though).  I have done some research in the past and I have decided to have all of my epic solos use the increased damage advocated at DMG 42: dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/02/boot-on-face-...   These numbers simply return epic solo damage ratios to what were present in lvl 1 encounters.  Given that epic PCs have a lot more methods to recover from damage, this is probably still low, but it is a good starting point. and an increase over MM3 damage.

I also removed most of the ongoing damage because I found it really tedious to track.  I think just increasing the overall damage gives you more bang for your buck.

I plan to eventually update all the gods I've done with these new damage ratios.  Let me know what you think.     
I had a chance to playtest Torog over the weekend and I realized he need some more updates than I thought.  Updated Torog with the new damage I am using (see the first post update) and I added a recharge power.  I think this new power will help mitigate his low hit points.
Updated Vecna to the new damage levels (see first post for explanation) and tweaked the action point mechanic.  I added  a trigger power to deal with free action attacks (and he can recharge it now as well).  I also added a standard recharge power to give him a heavy hitting power.  I increased the damage on this power when he is blooded to provide the damage boost the guidelines suggest.
Updated Zehir.  Minor tweaks - mostly to the new damage.  This is the last update for a while.  At some point I will go back and update all the gods with the new damage amounts (see first post).  But for now I am going to move on to new gods.  Grummsh is up next then Erathis.
I posted a draft of Gruumsh.  I would love any comments for improvements as I think this is farily rough draft.  Also, as I am drafting up Erathis next and suggestions would be welcome as well.  I plan to use Xervous' steam punk idea as a starting point, just not sure what to do with that yet.
well I'm back, again. Nice to see that everything is coming along :D

now that you mention it, shying away from ongoing damage (when it absolutely is not necessary for flavor) is a good thing, seeing how many off turn actions players have available on top of ways to deal with ongoing effects. It could very well mean the difference between the ranger going down or the warlord giving him a few more attacks, or the defender staying up when him dropping would give the god some temporary mobility increase... etc etc

As for erathis and its (his/her?? idr right now) adopted steampunk theme, I feel this could be well... erathis has mechanical armor with cogs and whosits and whatsits and spinning things galore with occasional discharges from the mechanization within. maybe weave it into defensive traits / powers, or... (hey, another when bloodied thing)

the armor breaks when erathis is bloodied, removing some abilites while boosting / allowing others... yawn. Seems so repetitive but i guess its an interesting design if players are only going to see one or two of these gods in their DnD careers.

an interesting defensive effect for the armor (or perhaps another god): if more than X damage is dealt in a turn, it triggers a burst daze/stun/slow (and/or possibly a teleport for the god) to prevent nova turns from becoming too big. Depending on how big X is, it could be aimed at different levels of optimized characters.
well I'm back, again. Nice to see that everything is coming along :D

now that you mention it, shying away from ongoing damage (when it absolutely is not necessary for flavor) is a good thing, seeing how many off turn actions players have available on top of ways to deal with ongoing effects. It could very well mean the difference between the ranger going down or the warlord giving him a few more attacks, or the defender staying up when him dropping would give the god some temporary mobility increase... etc etc

As for erathis and its (his/her?? idr right now) adopted steampunk theme, I feel this could be well... erathis has mechanical armor with cogs and whosits and whatsits and spinning things galore with occasional discharges from the mechanization within. maybe weave it into defensive traits / powers, or... (hey, another when bloodied thing)

the armor breaks when erathis is bloodied, removing some abilites while boosting / allowing others... yawn. Seems so repetitive but i guess its an interesting design if players are only going to see one or two of these gods in their DnD careers.

an interesting defensive effect for the armor (or perhaps another god): if more than X damage is dealt in a turn, it triggers a burst daze/stun/slow (and/or possibly a teleport for the god) to prevent nova turns from becoming too big. Depending on how big X is, it could be aimed at different levels of optimized characters.

Xervous, thank you for your thoughts.

Ongoing damage:  Ya, I agree that it should remain were it makes sense fluff wise, but I know I don't like tracking it.  That being said, I probably should have left more ongoing dmg in my Tiamat revision.  Unfortunately, the .monster file got corrupted, I can't use it, and I don't feel like recreating it any time soon.

Erathis:  I like the idea of machine armor/weapons and how it changes as it breaks down.  I am thinking of maybe 4 stats blocks or certain powers keyed on hit point levels.  I could also see her size changing with each stage from G-H-L-M, that could be interesting.  Maybe I could tie this into 4 concepts of civilization (or other aspects of her domains - need to research that).  I'm definitely sensing an area wall power.
I'm really busy with work for the next month or so.  Any chance some of the fine minds on these forums want to take up the challenge and stat one or more of the remaining gods?

Comments and suggestions for the current list are appreciated as well.  
This thread has been moved by VCL request. 

If you have any questions, please contact:
Customer Service 
Any chance for some Tharizdun stats in the future? A fight against him will be the cap to my current campaign.

Any ideas on some powers for him would be great too. As the god of madness, I can see him causing lots of effects like dazing, sliding the PCs around, making them attack each other, and just generally causing chaos on the battlefield. Though he also has the Annihilation domain, so seems he should also be able to deal out some serious damage on at least a few of his attacks.

Also, anyone know what his domains were before he got a hold of the shard of evil? From what I understand he only took on annihilation, madness due to the shard's influence.
Any chance for some Tharizdun stats in the future? A fight against him will be the cap to my current campaign.

Any ideas on some powers for him would be great too. As the god of madness, I can see him causing lots of effects like dazing, sliding the PCs around, making them attack each other, and just generally causing chaos on the battlefield. Though he also has the Annihilation domain, so seems he should also be able to deal out some serious damage on at least a few of his attacks.

Also, anyone know what his domains were before he got a hold of the shard of evil? From what I understand he only took on annihilation, madness due to the shard's influence.

I have/had plans to do all the major gods and then some minor ones.  But my interest has wained with my increased interest in 5e.  However, if you can make down a good theme and/or powers to start with I can make a Tharzidun pretty quickly.

How difficult do you want the fight to be?  Do you want a weakend version or a full on level 38-40 version. How optimized are your PCs?  What is their DPR and/or NOVA damage?  Do the excell at stuns, dazes, marks, healing, etc.? 
I've started work on Tharizdun, but I am having a problem on creating the powers.  Any suggestions?  Weapon type, energy type,etc.?  Any help would be great as I am kinda stumped at the moment.
Psychic and necrotic, possibly with more elemental damage types to get past how common psychic and necrotic resistance are, and to tie in with his association with the Elder Elemental Eye.

Effects that 'corrupt' enemies. In addition to dominate, and to further tie in with a possible elemental theme, try something that turns enemies into walking debuffs - light one on fire, surround another with a whirlwind, another with floating, razor-sharp rocks, and another with a constantly-shifting whirlpool. 

Weapon should probably be a whip, scourge, or lash of some sort. I seem to remember that being his favored weapon in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, to tie in with his symbol.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Psychic and necrotic, possibly with more elemental damage types to get past how common psychic and necrotic resistance are, and to tie in with his association with the Elder Elemental Eye.

Effects that 'corrupt' enemies. In addition to dominate, and to further tie in with a possible elemental theme, try something that turns enemies into walking debuffs - light one on fire, surround another with a whirlwind, another with floating, razor-sharp rocks, and another with a constantly-shifting whirlpool. 

Weapon should probably be a whip, scourge, or lash of some sort. I seem to remember that being his favored weapon in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, to tie in with his symbol.

Thanks you for the thoughts Siberys!  I think a scourge is a great idea.  I can see lots of possibilities with that.  Hopefully I will have him up next week  Thanks again!

Here is an update to Geryon.  I minor revision/tweak of the official version.  Read the 1st page for the explanation of the damage increase.  Adding some minor and move powers and allowed him to use his Horn of Geryon.  Let me know what you think.