My homebrew mechanics

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
treskri.wikidot.com/mechanika-dla-treskr...

Everything done up until now. It's in Polish, but Google Translate does it's job well.

translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&...

English translation to come when it's finished (I don't have enough time to keep track of two language versions in development).

Main features:
- lack of levels
- saving throws as in D&D
- attributes as in D&D, but replaced by the modifiers- HP representing the character's stamina
- action points instead of the minor/move/full-round
- a varied selection of class and race as in D&D
- body parts specified for damage
- 'advantages' bought for XP
- XP given by the DM as he wishes
- some of the more powerful 'advantages' require ranks (a certain number of XP has to be spent earlier)
- no criticals, no random damage dice
- no spell failure
- changed armor check penalties
- advancement paths for given classes
- less skills than in D&D (16 for now)
- every class (fighter and magic-user to use the AD&D terminology) uses the same system
- every class has access to manevuers (a bit of a cross between Tome of Battle and 4e)
- XP price for some potentially unbalancing spells (scry, teleport etc.)

The skill system is 100% done (I only have to add the missing descriptions). The classes are about halfway done - that is, some of the classes are missing. There are several examples of manevuers, advancement paths (equivalent of PrCs) and monsters. Combat rules are 90% done. Equipment lists are halfway done.

I'm wondering whether to leave 'advantages' (feats, special qualities, special attacks lumped together) as they are or should I use something similar to talent trees from SW?

Should I stick to the D&D nine-alignment system (modified a bit) or should I use something else?
Huh, have you by any chance tried this little thing called 4th Edition?
Show

I'm kidding xD
This looks fun, I'm looking forward to the english (or Icelandic?) version. I'll let somone more 3.5 familiar to answer your questions, I'm just here for bumping purposes.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Ideas? Comments? Wishes?
Spells should be able to fail.  Maybe more powerful magic users almost never fail at simple spells, but spell failure just makes sense.

called shots should be optional (body part damage), I have yet to see this done well

I would have 4e style conditions and keywords and extend that concept to armor and weapons (at least as options).  They ahve been talking about this for 5e.

remove classes, your "class" is simple the choices your character makes (ability scores, feats, proficiencies), etc.

if damage dice is not random, i would suggest having some method of modifying damage.  I tried using a base damage and for every point you rolled high on your to hit roll you added some additional damage to the attack.  (sword base 4dmg +2/point above to hit score needed).  Thus we only had to hit rolls.  However, my group liked rolling damage so we went back to the traditional method.

I like the ideas they are working for skills in 5e.  Simple ability checks with simple modifiers of certain "skills" - amybe bought with feats?
Spells should be able to fail.  Maybe more powerful magic users almost never fail at simple spells, but spell failure just makes sense.

called shots should be optional (body part damage), I have yet to see this done well

I would have 4e style conditions and keywords and extend that concept to armor and weapons (at least as options).  They ahve been talking about this for 5e.

remove classes, your "class" is simple the choices your character makes (ability scores, feats, proficiencies), etc.

if damage dice is not random, i would suggest having some method of modifying damage.  I tried using a base damage and for every point you rolled high on your to hit roll you added some additional damage to the attack.  (sword base 4dmg +2/point above to hit score needed).  Thus we only had to hit rolls.  However, my group liked rolling damage so we went back to the traditional method.

I like the ideas they are working for skills in 5e.  Simple ability checks with simple modifiers of certain "skills" - amybe bought with feats?

I haven't decided on spell failure yet. Conditions and keywords are a good idea; so is some way of modifying damage.
Classes will have to stay.
What you described is how skills work in my indie - there are 'advantages' that give you bonuses to a given skill.

-----------------------------------------
Armors give DR now.

I tweaked the prices - mundane equipment (poles, ropes, food rations) are for a number of cp, normal equipment (armor, weapons, mounts) for a number of sp, and magic items are for gp. The numbers are mostly the same as in D&D 3.5 or PF. This is to reflect the fact that magic items are extremely rare and hard to obtain. I'm also wondering whether I should give some items a XP price.

To be done:
- manevuers
- a description of ability scores in RL terms
- short description for each class
- magic items
Bump.

Locational damage was made optional. Marshal class and a lot of manevuers added.
Did you decide on exact DR values for the various armors?
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Did you decide on exact DR values for the various armors?

Yeah, I did. AC bonus/2, rounded up. You can see it in the page. Really, Google Translate works.

--------------------------------------

erdana,Arial,Helvetica; color:#000000">erdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size:x-small">1) HP renamed to Stamina Points. 1/2 and other fractions changed to be the full number of advantages.
2) Compulsory training introduced.
3) Trying to decide which dice are the best.

Money system added.

Any ideas on what I could add/improve?

I'm thinking of tweaking the way attributes work.
1) maybe one attribute governs attack and the other defense - a bit like in Legend
2) maybe give the choice of the attribute from two (Str vs. Con; Int vs. Cha; Wis vs. Dex) - a bit like in 4e

I want every attribute to be useful in some way.

I'll have to work on describing classes in flavor terms.
erdana,Arial,Helvetica">erdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size:small">Today, I added starvation/thirst and suffocation rules.
I'm thinking of adding the aristocrat class at last and the templates (half-fiend, half-fey, vampire, etc. etc.).
Aging rules added.
The above will be done over the weekend.
Aristocrat and adept classes added. Also, vampire template added.

EDIT: Here you can find the development history of this ruleset.
Sword sage and faith warrior classes added.

Half-fiend templates added (including, but not limited to, half-balor, half-bebilith and half-succubus).
Various monsters and templates added.
Started working on flaws.
Drawing up alignment rules.
Alignment traits added. Flaws added. A drug named ‘mad desire’ added. Planetouched templates added.
Wow, good work, this thing is progressing FAST!

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Thank you.
Work on magic items started. Weapon proficiencies reworked.
Descendant of the gods template added.

Today: mundane items added.
Encumbrance rules, expanded equipment lists, poisons and illnesses added... and something else.
Some things I need input on:
1) Split offense and defense and use different attributes for them?
2) Allow choosing an attribute for the offense/defense from pairs (Str vs. Con; Int vs. Wis; Dex vs. Cha)?
3) A use for Charisma
4) Merge XP and gp together like in OD&D?
5) Dodge and parry like in Conan RPG?
Number 3 can be scratched, I found a use for it. Help me with the rest?
Stamina Points tweaked - all attributes now contribute to them.
Rules for city creation added.
Magic items, spells and spellcasting classes shuffled to a 'High Magic' page since the world is low-magic.
Deity favor points added.
Spells and manevuers now cost those points.
Thinking of expanding the attributes from 0-10 scale to 0-100 scale. What is your take on that?
Also, I'm thinking of making skills (both combat and non-combat) also fit the 1-100 scale. The bonus to the d20 throw would be the number divided by 10. 2 points per 1000 XP spent.
I'm thinking of using several d6s and keeping the numbers and adding a bonus from the 1-100 scale.

Also, I want to detach combat skills from classes/number of "advantages" and I want to reduce "advantages", especially those that only give +x bonus.

In the future, I might consider removing classes altogether.

Therefore, I need help about the dice mechanics. Detaching combat will come next once I have worked out the dice.
Decided on using d6s, but without changing the scale. After all, ease is the prime goal of this ruleset....

Renamed "advantages" to "developments" and started pruning them a bit.

Thinking on a new skill list.
New skill list. It contains melee attack and ranged attack, and also dodge and parry.
The dice used are now d6. Some minor tweaks.

I'll move travel time rules to the optional section.

Also, it was suggested that I shift the weight of counting to the DM's side...
I'm trying to cut down on the number of classes.
Wizard, rogue, cleric, druid, monk and warrior are here to stay. Is it possible to make all the other classes "advancement paths" of these?
I want to avoid circumstance bonuses or penalties. Is there a way to do it?
I am going to cull classes (renamed to professions). Right now I'm down to 6. I'll do it when I have a bit of spare time.
Only 7 classes remained - rogue, fighter, ranger and wizard, bard, cleric and druid.

Note that 'druid' is  NOT equivalent to D&D druid, it's closer to the Celtic druid.

Marshal and knight became advancement paths and many other classes were removed.

Developments (advantages) clean-up.

------------------------------------------------
erdana,Arial,Helvetica; color:#000000">erdana,Arial,Helvetica">And a major breakthrough when it comes to character creation: creating a character now costs points (20 at start). You use these points to choose your race, profession and advantages.
erdana,Arial,Helvetica">erdana,Arial,Helvetica; font-size:small">translate.google.com/translate?ie=UTF-8&... - a Google Translated version

The goals of the project are as follows:
1) remove the Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards effect
2) remove the clunky tables (too much math)
3) retain the race-class-skill-feat system of the d20
4) focus equally on combat and non-combat
5) make it easier for newbies than D&D

Main features:
- use of d6
- point buy to determine attributes
- point buy to create character (somewhat like L5R)
- lack of levels
- saving throws as in D&D
- attributes as in D&D, but replaced by the modifiers
- HP representing the character#8217;s stamina
- action points instead of the minor/move/full-round
- body parts specified for damage as an optional rule
- #8216;advantages#8217; bought for XP
- XP given by the DM as he wishes
- some of the more powerful #8216;advantages#8217; require ranks (a certain number of XP has to be spent earlier)
- no criticals, no random damage dice
- no spell failure
- changed armor check penalties
- advancement paths for given classes
- completely remade skill list
- use for every attribute
- non-combat advantages exist
- tweaked item and equipment prices
- every class (fighter and magic-user to use the AD&D terminology) uses the same system
- every class has access to manevuers (a bit of a cross between Tome of Battle and 4e)

- using manevuers (whether they be spells or not) requires you to be in your deity#8217;s favor
- XP price for some potentially unbalancing spells (scry, teleport etc.)
Attributes are now: Strength, Stamina, Dexterity, Reflex, Intelligence, Willpower, Intuition and Perception (8 in total). Skill list was reworked, so that every one of them is useful for at least one skill.
Thinking of splitting the Action Points into two categories - move APs and other APs.

Also, thinking of a social status system.
Any input?

There is now a thread for the world, Treskri, which will use the mechanics.
Thinking of revisiting the idea of level titles when I have some time.
Sign In to post comments