Epic Solo Updates – The Gods Project

124 posts / 0 new
Last post

As a follow up to this post on updated Demon Lords:  community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I have started this thread to update the gods of D&D.  However, this time I want to get all of the Gods (and I would love some help).  I am calling the official 4e gods “Greater Gods” (levels 34-40) to leave some room to expand the pantheon with “Lesser Gods” (levels 27-33).  I now think that there are some "Minor Gods" also (inspired by the official release of Blibdoolpoolp).  These would be level 22-26 solos or level 27-33 elites.  The big difference is that lesser and minor gods do not discorporate.  They would also have less action and condition mitigation resourcces.  Anyway, here are the God levels (posted Gods in bold):

Greater Gods:

Asmodeus:  Evil; Power, domination, tyranny; lvl 37 - Controller (page 1)
Avandra:  Good; Change, luck, trade, travel; lvl 34 - Skirmisher (page 1)
Bahamut:   Lawful good; Justice, honor, nobility, protection; lvl 36 - Soldier (page 1)
Bane:   Evil; War, conquest; lvl 39 - Controller/Soldier (page 1)
Corellon:  Unaligned;  Arcane magic, spring, beauty, the arts; lvl 39 - Skirmisher (page 1)
Erathis:  Unaligned; Civilization, invention, laws; lvl  36 - Brute/Skirmisher/Soldier/Controller (page 1)
Gruumsh:  Chaotic evil; Turmoil, destruction; lvl 38- Brute (page 1)
Ioun:  Unaligned; Knowledge, prophecy, skill; lvl 38 - Artillery/Controller (page 1)
Kord:  Unaligned; Storms, strength, battle; lvl 35 - Brute (page 1)
Lolth: Chaotic evil; Spiders, shadows, lies; lvl 35 - Lurker/Brute (page 1)
Melora:  Unaligned; Wilderness, sea; lvl 35 - Brute (page 1)
Moradin:  Lawful good; Creation, artisans, family; lvl 40 - Soldier (page 1)
Pelor: Good Sun, summer, agriculture,time; lvl  37 - Artillery (page 1)
Raven Queen: Unaligned; Death, fate, winter’ 35 - Artillery (page 1)
Sehanine:  Unaligned; Trickery, moon, love, autumn; lvl 34 - Lurker (page 1)
Tharizdun:  Chaotic evil; Annihilation, madness; lvl 40 - Controller (page 1)
Tiamat:  Evil; Wealth, greed, vengeance; lvl 36 - Brute (page 1)
Torog:  Evil; Underdark, imprisonment; lvl 34 - Lurker (page 1)
Vecna:  Evil; Undeath, secrets; lvl 35  - Controller (page 1)
Zehir:  Evil; Darkness, poison, serpents; lvl 36 - Lurker (page 1)

Lesser and Minor Gods:

Maglubiyet:  Evil; exarch of Bane, goblins, lvl 32 - Brute (page 1)
Geryon:  Evil;???; lvl 30 - Contoller (page 2)
Dispater:  Evil; Strife; lvl 28 - Controller (page 2)
Mammon: Evil;Greed; lvl 27 - Brute (page 3)
Belial:Evil; secrets, seduction; lvl 28 - Lurker (page 3)
Fernia:  Evil; fire, pleasure; lvl 27 (elite) - Artillery/Controller (page 3)
Levistus:  Evil; ???; lvl 29 - Controller (page 3)
Glasya:  Evil; seduction?; lvl 24 solo (updated) or lvl 29 elite (official) - Controller (page 2)
Baalzebul:  Evil; Flies; lvl 31 - Lurker (page 3)
Mephistopheles:  Evil; Lord of Cania and Hellfire; lvl 33 - Artillery (page 3)
Bel:  Evil; ???; lvl 31 (elite) - Soldier (page 2)
Hruggek:  Chaotic Evil; bugbears,lvl 26 - Brute (page 3)
Skerrit:  Unaligned; exarch of Melora, centaurs, nature, balance; lvl 27 - Soldier (page 3)
Rillifane Rallathil:  Good; wood elves, forest; lvl 31 - Skirmisher (page 3)
Garl Glittergold:  Lawful Good; gnomes, adventure, trickster; lvl 32 - Skirmisher (page 3)
Yondalla:  Lawful good; halflings, protector, provider; lvl 33 - Soldier? (page 3)
Kurtulmak:  Evil; exarch of Tiamat, kobolds; lvl 27 - Lurker (page 3)
Semuanya:  Unaligned; lizardfolk, survival, reptiles; lvl 28 - Skirmisher (page 3)
Vaprak:  Chaotic Evil; exarch of Gruumsh, destruction, trolls, ogres, gluttony; lvl 25 - Brute (page 3)
Sekolah: Evil; exarch of Melora, sahauagin , sharks, oceans; lvl 28 - Brute (page 2)
Laogzed:  Chaotic evil; troglodytes; lvl 22 - lurker (page 3)
Blibdoolpoolp:  Chaotic evil; Kuo-Toa; lvl 22 - Controller (page 2)

As a reminder, the goals of this update project are to bring the Epic solos in line with the new design guidelines and standards for Epic solos, basically:
   1) Update Hit Points (however, I am now using a 2x elite HP for solos)
   2) Update defense/ attack bonus
   3) Update damage expressions:  Update:  the damage expressions I am using are based on this post from DMG 42:  dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/02/boot-on-face-...  I plan to use this on all future Epic solos.  These expressions bring the damage ratios (PC HP/ monster dmg) back in line with level 1 encounters.  
   4) Update # of attacks/ turns
   5) Provide a method to mitigate conditions and effects
   6) Increase damage when bloodied.

When available, I started with the stat block in the adventure tools and made the modifications I felt were necessary to achieve the goals above.  I tried to minimize my changes to the original designs, but some needed more modifications than others. 

If anyone would like to help and create some new gods, I would welcome it.  It will take me a long time to do these all if I don't get some help, so please feel free to submit your gods to me and I can post them in this thread.  Also, everything posted is a draft.  I would love to get comments and/or playtesters so we can refine them.

So, in alphabetical order this time (greater gods only):

Asmodeus (updated - rev3)
I tried something different with Asmodeus actions.  I thought the no turn actions might make for a more dynamic fight.  However, I am not sure how to handle “until the start of its next turn” type powers.  Any suggestions for improvement?

Asmodeus powers are pretty much straight updates from the 1e monster manual and the 3e Fiendish Codex and Book of Vile Darkness.  They should look pretty familiar in general.  I am a little concerned that his aura might be too powerful, but a power based on his 3e versions and I wanted to include it somehow.  Any suggestions on how to improve it?

I think the Malsheem Guard is a little tougher than the typical minion, but that seems good to me.  In case you didn’t know, if you advance a pit fiend to lvl 36 it would be a minion, so it seemed like a natural fit.

And thank you to Xervous for the help in designing Asmodeus

Avandra 
The goddess of luck,change and travel.  As think Avandra would have plenty of leader type powers as well, but I chose to feature the powers I think she would use in single combat.  As with most, if not all, of the gods I think Avandra could easily have 2 or more stat blocks to truely flesh out her character.  Anyway, here she is:

Bahamut (updated - rev2)
I didn’t change the Old Man and the Canaries much.  Just remember that this stat-block is really supposed to be used only if you insert Bahamut into a paragon level party as an ally.  If you want to fight Bahamut in human form I would suggestion re-flavoring his dragon form.

I gave Bahamut two full turns, which I think will be my standard for gods with the soldier role, and updated is attacks.  I added Divine Retribution to deal with ranged attacks and added some traits to deal with Epic PC defenses and attacks and that is about it.

Bane (update - rev 1)
Bane had 2 aspects described in the Deities and Demigods article and I originally thought I would combine these 2 to make 1 full-fledged god.  However, I then came up with another idea. 
My draft of Bane is based on a progression of theme developed in earlier god designs.  Bahamut had 2 stat blocks, though they are really designed for two different types of encounters. Lolth has 2 functional stat blocks with a 2nd permanently replace the 1st half way through the encounter.  I took the next logically step and gave Bane 2 stat blocks that he can switch between at any time during encounter.
The goal was to capture the feel of both a warlord and soldier war god.  It is a bit complex, but I hope it works as intended.  Any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Corellon
So here is the high elf god of magic and protection.  It follows the goals and updates described in the first post.  I am always unsure how to make something feel like a skirmisher, so I tried to give him lots of movement and melee and ranged options.  As the god of arcane magic I made it pretty foolish for PCs to attack him with arcane spells.  He is no slouch in melee either.  ANy suggestions are welcome!

So here is Erathis.  Erathis was a tough one because there is not a lot of source material to go on and most of the information doesn’t give clues to actual combat powers. So I based this design on a discussion in this thread with Xervous.  He/she had the idea that she would have some steam-punk like tech/powers.  Thus I developed the idea that in combat she would transform into a giant warforged colossus and then break down into other forms as the battle goes on.  I do want to stress that this a combat form. I imagine Erathis uses much different powers in her day to day dealings.

So the concept is that you start with Erathis, Wild’s Bane, then replace that stat block with Erathis, Lord of Invention when that is defeated, then replace that with, Arbitrator of Justice when that is defeated, and then finally with Mother of Civilization as the final aspect.    So all 4 stat blocks make up one solo (for XP), but each form only has the action points, powers, abilities, etc. listed on its stat block.  A complex encounter for sure, but hopefully an interesting one.

Gruumsh
Here is my draft of Gruumsh.  I would definitely call this a rough draft and would welcome any suggestions for improvements.  As a force of destruction I struggled with different ways to be destructive besides just damage, thus the defense reduction mechanic and difficult terrain.  As a force of chaos I wanted to do something beside multiple elemental damage types, thus the aura.  I still think he could uses some polish.   I used my new damage expressions (see the top of the page).

Reserved for:  Ioun

Kord
Kord seemed pretty straight forward, brute that does a lot of damage.  I left his storm powers primarily for range attacks/defense.  I then decided to add a “wrestling” mechanic and gave him some grab/grapple attacks befitting a god of strength.

Lolth (update-Rev1)
First off I gave Lolth different hit points and defenses for her different forms (lurker and brute).  Fortunately, adding the hit points together gives you the same number as her original, so I didn’t need to do anything special here.  Ideally I would could have the drow form never be bloodied and the spider form always considered bloodied (or maybe at the halfway point between the total hp), but I didn’t see any way to do that in the Monster Builder and I didn’t feel like doing it by hand.

Didn’t do to much to her drow form except add some off turn actions and moved Immortal Resilience to a trait (so doesn’t count against her trigger actions).

I felt Lolth’s spider form needed more work.  So added an off turn action and gave her a double attack standard action and added Webs of Rebuttal to deal with range attacks and an aura to deal with free action melee attacks.

Reserved for:  Melora

Moradin (update rev1)
I found an aspect of Moradin from the Scales of War adventure path, so I modified it to make it worthy of the head of the pantheon.  Since he is level 40 I felt I could push the envelope a little more.   However, I did this pretty quickly and any suggestions to tweak Moradin would be appreciated.   I made all the minor action recharge powers share a roll, but feel free to change this if the powers are not recharging enough.

Pelor
There wasn’t a lot to gone on for Pelor with regards to powers so I went with the simple Sun God approach.  He also had healing as a portfolio in 3e so I added some healing and leader type powers.

I couldn’t think of a way to reflect his “summer” powers, so I would leave that aspect of him to DM roleplay and less about mechanics.  Perhaps a 2nd stat block like Bahamut could explore those powers.

I originally had him as a skirmisher, but it seemed more natural to have a sun god blast away from a distance so I switched him to artillery.

Raven Queen (updated - rev2)
Inspired by Hazard84 in this thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...  I’ve finished a draft of the Raven Queen.  A lot of this is based off the framework Hazard84 started.  I just updated it a bit.

Her design, like Torog’s, tested my hp ideas (2x elite instead of standard guidelines), but I think it works better for RQ.  She is able to move away from melee pretty well and has a high reflex and some powers/traits to limit ranged damage.  Queen’s Wrath is also partially intended to compensate for her low hit points.  I figure it saves her around 100hp, maybe more.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Sehanine
The goddess of the moon, illision and trickery!  I gave Sehanine may options for mitigating damage to help compensate for her lower Lurker HP (refer to the first post for the guidelines used for monster damage.  I may have gone overboard, but I think she is a pretty interestng goddess in combat.

FYI, like many, if not all, of the gods, Sehanine's stat block just indicats a portion of the powers at her disposal.  The stats given here are just for her most common powers used in combat.

Tharizdun
 I had a hard time with this one because I don't no much about him.  I had a rough outline about 6 months ago, but then it stalled.  Then I decided to focus more on his nilism and less on his insanity; and I found out there are 3 artifacts associate with him (sword, spear, & horn).  After that it came together pretty quickly.  An ideas for improvements would be greatly appreciated.

Tiamat (updated rev2)
I bumped up Tiamat’s level to match Bahamut’s and to more closely match her original defenses while staying closer to the new design guidelines, and there are already 2 lvl 35 evil gods anyway.  I made a generic bite attack that freed up the heads to have more unique attacks.  However, all together I didn’t add many powers, but I did beef up here traits a bit to, hopefully, mitigate against all the conditions lvl 30 PCs can slap down.  Update: revised dmg to above MM3 levels (see first post and update post for reasons) and revised her actions and turns to be more similar to other gods (instead of 5 turns).

Torog (update rev-1)
Torog was the biggest test of my new elitex2 hit point philosophy.  Being a Lurker his HP is pretty low and I worried about how to compensate for this.  Ultimately, I decided the DM must play Torog like  a Lurker and find ways to cause damage while removing/or reducing the threat of damage from the PCs.  I tried to help this by bumping his AC a little and giving him some powers to get him out of the way and I threw in a way for him to regain hit points.  Though, I think to be most effect he will also need the correct terrain (use tremorsense) to be effective (as a lurker probably should).  Updated damages to new damage expressions (see the first post in this thread for more information).

Vecna (update rev-1)
Vecna had a good foundation, it just needed to be brought up to speed with the newer guidelines and design standards.  I made a few tweaks based on the existing theme and gave him a way to deal with radiant attacks, but overall I feel it is pretty similar to the original.  I expanded on the original’s action point mechanic to give Vecna a method for removing conditions.  Update:  increased damage levels (see updated first post), added a standard recharge power and tweaked the action point mechanic.

Zehir (update Rev-1)
I tried to get the lurker/assassin feel to Zehir’s mechanics, so I hope he came out that way.  I also wanted to give him 2 forms, but to have the 2nd form to always be “bloodied.”  This allowed me to make the Serpent God form hit harder (to achieve the 50% more damage guideline). I used a Tiamat style stat block with each "form" having its own abbreviated stat block.

I also tried some new methods to mitigate damage and conditions/effects, so this draft may be a bit over or under powered.  Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.  Update:  update the damage, see the first post for the reasons.  not much else)

Lesser Gods:

Maglubiyet (update rev1)
I didn’t do too much to the goblin god, I just moved some things around, updated damage and added some traits.  Note:  as a “Lesser God” I did not give him the ability to discorporate.

First off, I am very happy to see that someone decided to make some actual legendary threats for 4E. Giving all the gods at least one mechanic to take two or more turns per round gives them more options, making fights more dynamic and interesting beyond the "It drops encounter powers, uses action points, then does its at will multiattack until a power recharges". The massive array of traits that remove or prevent most negative conditions (but not marks, so the defender stays important) makes them mechanically harder to kill, and if presented properly, it exudes the unstoppable force that a god should be, but it makes any penalty that can't be constantly reapplied next to useless as it won't even last a round (and some players might not like this because it will just favor the striker more in this encounter).

These gods are listed above level 30, and you have made that mean something. If an average party had to go up against one of the stronger gods stat-ed out here, they would be challenged even if they come into it with all their dailies. Nevermind those monstrosities that come out of CharOP, the game shouldn't be built for those who want to completely meta the excrement out of a role playing game, but some optimizing is fine, perhaps necessary to even hope to be able to discoporate one of the stronger gods.

The massive array of traits that remove or prevent most negative conditions (but not marks, so the defender stays important) makes them mechanically harder to kill, and if presented properly, it exudes the unstoppable force that a god should be, but it makes any penalty that can't be constantly reapplied next to useless as it won't even last a round (and some players might not like this because it will just favor the striker more in this encounter).

Xervous.  Thank you for the comments.  I would like to say that I tried to limit the effect of conditions, but not completely eliminate them.  All the gods will have a chance to save against conditions (I'm making that a godly trait as noted in the Draconomicon), but that will still result in some getting through.  This will then result in a loss of actions, hit points or action points (depending on the god).  I hope the PC's feel the accompilished something, but I am trying to make them the "unstable gods that they should be,' as you noted.  It is a tough balance that is for sure.

I also tried to limit striker multi-attack/free action damage with various trigger actions, but these will only work if the god is not dazed, stunned or dominated (which is still possible - especially between turns).

I did revise these traits after reading Mike Shea's "Lords of Chaos' aticle last week in Dungeon 199.  It seems that the new desing philosophy for lvl 30+ solos is to really nerf conditions.

Thank you again for the reply.  I hope to get some more gods posted soon, and I really hope a few people will step and create some as well.
Perhaps if we gathered some ideas about what the gods should be like: roles, possible abilities, etc... us forum goers could put together a god by general consensus.

Like moradin would be either a brute or a soldier. He would be immune to forced movement and prone, and many of his attacks would push or knock enemies prone, and perhaps he would have some powers to create difficult terrain (that he ignores)

zehir: definitely a lurker, ongoing poison damage, infrequent (insanely) powerful attacks...

Gruumsh: brute, reckless multiattacking / charging / burst or blast weapon based attacks.

Bane: soldier, mix in a little skirmisher perhaps?

Asmodeus: Controller / soldier, dominate / force targets to make melee basic attacks against allies etc... necrotic / fire ongoing damage.

Kord: soldier, lighting, thunder, dazes, stuns, and secondary attacks on his melees (weapon hits, then have a burst of thunder or lighting around the victim)

raven queen: controller, toss in some cold attacks, a few things that can be flavored as twisting fate (screwing over dice rolls with penalties or "roll 2 and take lower" come to mind, on top of the penalty to saving throws), the draining power of the shadowfell (munch those healing surges, and health), and of course death (carefully apply some penalties to death saving throws, or in extreme circumstances force failed throws)

Perhaps if we gathered some ideas about what the gods should be like: roles, possible abilities, etc... us forum goers could put together a god by general consensus.

Like moradin would be either a brute or a soldier. He would be immune to forced movement and prone, and many of his attacks would push or knock enemies prone, and perhaps he would have some powers to create difficult terrain (that he ignores)

zehir: definitely a lurker, ongoing poison damage, infrequent (insanely) powerful attacks...

Gruumsh: brute, reckless multiattacking / charging / burst or blast weapon based attacks.

Bane: soldier, mix in a little skirmisher perhaps?

Asmodeus: Controller / soldier, dominate / force targets to make melee basic attacks against allies etc... necrotic / fire ongoing damage.

Kord: soldier, lighting, thunder, dazes, stuns, and secondary attacks on his melees (weapon hits, then have a burst of thunder or lighting around the victim)

raven queen: controller, toss in some cold attacks, a few things that can be flavored as twisting fate (screwing over dice rolls with penalties or "roll 2 and take lower" come to mind, on top of the penalty to saving throws), the draining power of the shadowfell (munch those healing surges, and health), and of course death (carefully apply some penalties to death saving throws, or in extreme circumstances force failed throws)

Yes, that is what I would like and your thoughts for Zehir, Gruumsh, Bane, Asmodeus, Kord, Raven Queen and Moradin are great.  If you want to post or PM me a more detail descripition of one or more I would be glad to draft it up.

FYI, I have posted a draft of Moradin based on his Aspect in Scales fo War.  I should have a draft of Bane up today as well (from his aspects in the Dieties and Demigods article), but that will be it for awhile unless I get some help.
One thing to remember about the God's stat blocks, and all 4e stat blocks really, the powers listed would just be powers the god would likely to be used in combat.  I think we can assume that gods have ritual like powers, they are just not normally readily used in combat.

That being said, I think you need to play gods a little fast and loose and don't be hindered by the stat block, but use it as a starting point.
So here's a sketch for Asmodeus as a controller... (will be expanded upon over time)

Basic attacks:
-Melee; comparably moderate damage, daze (save ends?)
-Range; fire / necrotic + ongoing

Standard actions:
-A mobile melee/ranged combo, at will
-"Archdevil's mark".. single target ranged. lower damage. Secondary attack if first hits. 2ndary hit: dominate (save ends) and ongoing. miss: daze until end of character's turn. Recharge: when no target is affected by it.

-more to be added!-
So here's a sketch for Asmodeus as a controller... (will be expanded upon over time)

Basic attacks:

Standard actions:
-"Archdevil's mark".. single target ranged. lower damage. Secondary attack if first hits. 2ndary hit: dominate (save ends) and ongoing. miss: daze until end of character's turn. Recharge: when no target is affected by it.

-more to be added!-

Thank you for starting the big "A."  I will add to it.  New or revised stuff in bold

Asmodeus, the Betrayer
Level 37 Solo Controller (Leader)
Large immortal humanoid (devil, god)

HP:  1344/672, AC 51, Fort 49, Reflex 49, Will 52
Senses:  ?
Immunities:
Resistances:

Traits:
Hellfire Aura 20:  ??
Divine Might:  -4 to saves
Immortal Resilience:  saves when attacked and at end of turn
Instinctive Fire – an off turn action trait
??? – a leader role trait?

Basic attacks:

Standard actions:
-Ruby Rod – recharge 6 power, fire/psychic damage (?) and dominate or something else

Minor Acions:

Trigger Actions:
Divine Dicorporation

Skills:

Str:  34, Con:  32, Dex: 29, Int: 31, Wis:  32, Cha:  36
I had an odd idea, where Asmodeus would be able to build upon a certain status condition...
X attack. dazes. if target is dazed, stuns. if target is stunned, dominates...

something to that tune.
I had an odd idea, where Asmodeus would be able to build upon a certain status condition...
X attack. dazes. if target is dazed, stuns. if target is stunned, dominates...

something to that tune.

I like that idea, and I've seen powers like that before.  Can't think of what monster at the moment, but I know I have seen it fairly recently.

Anyway, I also wanted to clarify that my additions to your Asmodeus were just suggestions, thoughts.  Please feel free to revise and discuss.
There are a few I remember off the top of my head: elder/ancient gray dragon's immobilize / petrify, Ogremoch's imobilize / petrify, and one of the unique dragons from draconomicon: chromatic dragons.

Another power / attribute.

as an attack: targets of the attack can make a melee/ranged basic attack (with bonus to hit and to damage) against an ally to have this attack automatically miss them

as an additional effect on some nasty save ends thing (that has a massive penalty to the save roll): if victim hits an ally, grant a free saving throw with no penalty.
Another power / attribute.

as an attack: targets of the attack can make a melee/ranged basic attack (with bonus to hit and to damage) against an ally to have this attack automatically miss them

as an additional effect on some nasty save ends thing (that has a massive penalty to the save roll): if victim hits an ally, grant a free saving throw with no penalty.

Fantastic!  Betrayal built into the mechanics - we have to develop that.  What about ongoing damage that doesn't end, unless the target attacks an ally.  Torog has a power something like that.
Brilliant!

now lets mix it with something I liked about Allabar, Opener of the Way... a nasty ongoing damage effect that recharged whenever someone saved against it.

1. Mark of Treachery. Standard, ranged 20, (automatic hit probably), the target takes ongoing XX damage (this cannot be reduced in any way), the only way the target can end this ongoing damage is by willingly hitting an ally with an attack. Recharge: when no creature is affected by this power.

or for a scarier approach, which I personally love...

2. Mark of Treachery. Standard, encounter, ranged 20, (automatic hit probably), the target takes ongoing XX damage (this cannot be reduced in any way), the only way the target can end this ongoing damage is by willingly hitting an ally with an attack, that ally then suffers this effect.

I also compiled the ideas together for easier reference

Asmodeus, the Betrayer

Senses:  ?
Immunities:
Resistances:

Traits:
Hellfire Aura 20:  // Perhaps... any attack that dazes that hits a target that is already dazed dominates instead, and any enemy that saves against dominate is subject to dazed (save ends), dominate until blah blah has aftereffect of dazed until blah blah. might be slightly excessive... also cut away at fire / necrotic resist

Basic attacks:

-Melee; comparably moderate damage, daze,

Standard actions:
-Archdevil's mark. single target ranged. lower damage. Secondary attack if first hits. 2ndary hit: dominate (save ends) and ongoing. miss: daze until end of character's turn. Recharge: when no target is affected by it.
-Ruby Rod – recharge 6 power, fire/psychic damage (?) and dominate or something else //similar to archdevil's mark, probably a better design//

Mark of Treachery; encounter, single target ranged , (automatic hit probably), the target takes ongoing XX damage (this cannot be reduced in any way), the only way the target can end this ongoing damage is by willingly hitting an ally with an attack, that ally then suffers this effect.

Minor Actions:

At will single target daze (save ends) + ongoing damage.

Trigger Actions:

Divine Dicorporation

Immediate interrupt Enemy begins turn or moves adjacent, make melee basic attack and knock target prone regardless?

Immediate Interupt Enemy makes a ranged attack against him, he rolls an attack vs the player's roll. If he wins, he redirects the attack to a valid target and dazes the attacker.

Skills:

Str:  34, Con:  32, Dex: 29, Int: 31, Wis:  32, Cha:  36

Another thing on Asmodeus... It doesn't feel right for him to just be this puppet master of masters, he needs a second form that is more raw power exploding from the depths of hell to scour over everything and claim the world's souls.

so perhaps this controller Asmodeus is him in his tux with his pimp cane, and the ripped Uberdevil will be his other form...
Another thing on Asmodeus... It doesn't feel right for him to just be this puppet master of masters, he needs a second form that is more raw power exploding from the depths of hell to scour over everything and claim the world's souls.

so perhaps this controller Asmodeus is him in his tux with his pimp cane, and the ripped Uberdevil will be his other form...

How about giving him trait/powers that change when he is bloodied.  The easy thing would be he grows from large to huge (increase reach), +15-20hp to damage (takes care of the increase dmg when bloodied), and give a power or two that is only used while bloodied.

Personally, I would rather do that than make another god with two separate stat blocks.  What do you think?

I also compiled the ideas together for easier reference

So we have (my modifications in red this time):

Asmodeus, the Betrayer

Senses:  Darkvision, Truesight 50?
Immunities:  Charm, Disease
Resistances: Acid 20, Cold 20, Fire 40, Lightning 20, Psychic 40 - Acid, Cold, Lightning from the Rod and the rest are his normal resistances?

Traits:
Hellfire Aura 20:  // Perhaps... any attack that dazes that hits a target that is already dazed dominates instead, and any enemy that saves against dominate is subject to dazed (save ends), dominate until blah blah has aftereffect of dazed until blah blah. might be slightly excessive... also cut away at fire / necrotic resist

Basic attacks:

-Melee; comparably moderate damage, daze,

Standard actions:
-Archdevil's mark. single target ranged. lower damage. Secondary attack if first hits. 2ndary hit: dominate (save ends) and ongoing. miss: daze until end of character's turn. Recharge: when no target is affected by it. - I am not sure about Marks for solo gods (since they are acting alone and eveyone is attack them anyway), but since Asmodeus is a controller I think it makes sense if we add in some summoned minions.  I am thinking lvl 36 minion pit fiend "guards."
-Ruby Rod – recharge 6 power, fire/psychic damage (?) and dominate or something else //similar to archdevil's mark, probably a better design// I think this definitely needs the traditional line of acid, cone of frost, and bolt of lightning.  Then probably some type of dominating power or trait (-4 to will defense) as well.
-Mark of Treachery; encounter, single target ranged , (automatic hit probably), the target takes ongoing XX damage (this cannot be reduced in any way), the only way the target can end this ongoing damage is by willingly hitting an ally with an attack, that ally then suffers this effect.  I typically don't like straight up auto hit attacks.  I would prefer a hit and miss entry.

Minor Actions:
At will single target daze (save ends) + ongoing damage.

Trigger Actions:
-Divine Discorporation
-Immediate interrupt Enemy begins turn or moves adjacent, make melee basic attack and knock target prone regardless?
-No Freedom:  Immediate Reaction (no action): An enemy attacks Asmodeus. The target cannot take free actions until the end of its next turn. - this prevents piling up a lot of free action damage, but doesn't completely nerf the striker.  Could add some damage as well, but I'm not sure.

Skills:

Str:  34, Con:  32, Dex: 30, Int: 31, Wis:  32, Cha:  36

Also, I will be devoting most of my D&D time for the rest of the week to my weekly campaign (until after Sunday), so I won't be of much help the next few days.

@ archdevil's mark, its part of the name, not a mark (silly marks on solos though...)

So if the autohit attribute for mark of treachery is bad, perhaps the "recharge when no enemy is affected by it" line would be better (and maybe not have it bounce from victim to victim?)

As for the "when bloodied" thing...

-Triggered action (free), when first bloodied: area burst (?make it small, but with a high amount of damage to punish people who stayed close as they are generally more durable?), fire & necrotic, some combination of nasty effects, daze (save), prone, ongoing damage, damage vulnerability, etc...

-Increase damage for basic attacks and have the multiattack toss out an extra attack or something to that tune.

-A nice meaty TONS OF DAMAGE recharge 6 ability, pillar of hellfire?

-and he might lose access to some abilities. Would he still be wielding his rod?
@ archdevil's mark, its part of the name, not a mark (silly marks on solos though...)

OK, that makes since

So if the autohit attribute for mark of treachery is bad, perhaps the "recharge when no enemy is affected by it" line would be better (and maybe not have it bounce from victim to victim?)

That makes sense to me

-Triggered action (free), when first bloodied: area burst (?make it small, but with a high amount of damage to punish people who stayed close as they are generally more durable?), fire & necrotic, some combination of nasty effects, daze (save), prone, ongoing damage, damage vulnerability, etc...

-Increase damage for basic attacks and have the multiattack toss out an extra attack or something to that tune.

-and he might lose access to some abilities. Would he still be wielding his rod?

Sounds good, beefed up damage/increased # of attacks + new heavy hitting power.  I still think he would have the rod, but I'm not married to the idea.

Thank you again for your help.  When I get back at it next week I think I can get a good rough draft up.  Keep putting up ideas if you have them. 

I have a good start on the Raven Queen so I was going to post her after Asmodeus.  If you have ideas I would love to go through the same process with her when we finish up with Asmodeus
Xervous:  I have a draft of Asmodeus ready, but I'm having problems printing from the MB.  As soon as I can print it I will post it.

Xervous - I've posted a draft of Asmodeus.  Let me know if you think I should change anything