02/06/2011 Feature: "Changing Launch Parties For Avacyn Restored"

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wanted to thank you for making Helene Bergeot a public name and face on the site who writes from her own perspective. It has made the tournament policy update articles much friendlier, clearer, more engaging, and easier to read. Much appreciated!

4 Pages of everyone going "I don't understand this" and needing multiple clarifications to read and understand her writing, and you say that its easier to read and clearer? Either you are some kind of strawman by wizards to make this thread not ALL negative or you have a law degree.

Regardless, this is getting out of hand. Wizards or Hasbro, whoever is making these decisions, keeps taking more and more away from us, the players, and yet we keep sitting here and taking it. No more mythic pre-release cards, no support for TO's outside of stores, no more Launch Parties, no more Player Rewards, States fading into non-existance and worlds being more of a rich players club of the "celebrities" of Magic than something that the every man can attain. It's time to actually DO something about this, these changes are NOT good for the game, and they do not represent the direction that the majority of players seem to want. I would love it if Wizards and hasbro would stop hiding behind their veil of secrecy and start having a more open discussion with its fan base rather than just taking more and more things away while refusing to talk about the whys and what will replace it/come next.
This change was extremely poorly communicated. This is particularly bad because the change itself is one that gets a bad reaction from every magic player I know that reads it.

Because of this it feels like it was intentionally vague and confusing. Cover up the bad news by making it obtuse.

I strongly disagree with this change. As was said earlier, it's nearly as bad as the pro changes which had a massive thread of 99% negative feedback, but since I'm a casual player and have little interest in pro play it's actually much worse from my perspective.

Once again Wizards, you need to rethink changes like this that provoke so strong a negative reaction from your customers. There is no shame in admitting you got it wrong and reversing your position, provided you learn from the experience.

I encourage everyone who reads this (once they've worked out what it actually means) to post here and to email the relevant people at Wizards to let them know what they think. Does it seem logical or fair to you? Does it seem like good news?
Just wanted to thank you for making Helene Bergeot a public name and face on the site who writes from her own perspective. It has made the tournament policy update articles much friendlier, clearer, more engaging, and easier to read. Much appreciated!

You are either making an extremely sarcastic post to inflame response, or you are a sock puppet account. We don't need either of those things right now.
Here is an idea:

If you are going to post a ridiculous article you assume will enrage a tiny and/or large part of your player base, why not add a poll at the end? A poll with questions like "Do you have actually understood what I am talking about?" Or maybe, just maybe "What do you think of this change?".

If you get a lot of "No" respones to the first and "You suck" to the latter, make it a rule to at least rethink your strategy!
I'm getting the impression more and more that the focus is moving more toward using Magic to generate ad revenue. Two articles currently on DailyMTG.com spend a fair amount of time talking about how you can stream big events now. On Styborski's pic of his laptop/big screen setup, see that Star City Games play mat? If we start seeing Coke/Pepsi, a restaurant logo, or something like that there, I'm right.

That also makes some sense of them dropping support for the local, more casual events in favor of focusing on the big events with big names. Prereleases used to be big and fun, but there's no Magic celebrity power there all in one place. Basically, get more people interested in the events they can televise to a big audience and cut most of the rest, aside from a good-will token or two for the more casual crowd. 0/1 Good Will tokens. With Fading.
why do wizards use helene to give bad news all the time? is that because of her abstract language usage so no one really understands what's going on?
I just think that all of the things that they are doing to Magic is them going in the wrong direction. I understand what they are trying to do, but why fix what isn't broke.
I have spoken to Helene at length in email traffic and I think I have a pretty firm grasp on what she is and is not trying to say.

Basically what's happening is that promo card support is only being allotted for the FNM.  The local game stores are encouraged to run non-promo card supported events on Saturday/Sunday.

Also, the local stores are now allowed free reign on what styles of events they wish to run for their "launch parties".  It can be draft, 6 pack sealed, 2HG sealed, whatever.

I have voiced my concerns to her regarding the importance of having promo cards for launch party events and she has promised to keep them in mind.

Also, as a small shimmer in the dark, there has been some information regarding the change for the Avacyn Restored prerelease spoiled.

There is a discussion about it on MTGSalvation.
There is a news story about it on Examiner.
And the official PDF pamphlet is here on the wizards play network site.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

So, Launch Parties are getting killed off? That's a shame. I like me a sealed event to kick off the new set, and I can't always make the pre-release (as happened with DKA).

Do I care about a third-rate rare in promo form? Not so much. But diluting the launch party out of existence is yet another in a long line of "things Hasbro have taken away from me".

Wizards should really change the name of FNM to WTF, because every announcement that touches or concerns it has me shaking my head.

PS. +1 "I didn't understand the announcement". Please learn to spin in English.
So, Launch Parties are getting killed off? That's a shame. I like me a sealed event to kick off the new set, and I can't always make the pre-release (as happened with DKA).

Do I care about a third-rate rare in promo form? Not so much. But diluting the launch party out of existence is yet another in a long line of "things Hasbro have taken away from me".

Wizards should really change the name of FNM to WTF, because every announcement that touches or concerns it has me shaking my head.

If you don't care about the promo card then not much else has really changed.  They may not be officially supporting Saturday/Sunday events anymore, but honestly what did Wizards "support" entail at the launch party anyway?  Promo Cards.  That's about it.  The launch parties have never had prize support, now all that's happening is Wizards is taking a hands off approach to the format organization of the launch party for Saturday/Sunday and letting the local game stores organize their own events for those days.  The "Launch FNM" is the only thing Wizards will officially meddle with anymore.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

If you don't care about the promo card then not much else has really changed.  They may not be officially supporting Saturday/Sunday events anymore, but honestly what did Wizards "support" entail at the launch party anyway?  Promo Cards.  That's about it.  The launch parties have never had prize support, now all that's happening is Wizards is taking a hands off approach to the format organization of the launch party for Saturday/Sunday and letting the local game stores organize their own events for those days.  The "Launch FNM" is the only thing Wizards will officially meddle with anymore.

Whilst I don't directly care about the launch promo, its removal from the weekend event will probably kill off the event. As you say, the support was already down to nothing. This whole Friday-or-the-Highway approach to organized play is what is ticking me off.

I cant believe there has been no public, official statement, clarifying this article. Whats happening Wizards?!

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
To me it sounds like you're discontinuing with the official launch party program entirely--it's just that you don't want players to kick up the fuss you know they would if you actually said that was what you're doing or took away the promos they expect, so you're trying to hide what you're doing behind PR-speak.

It's that obvious, eh?

Between "we're dropping the name 'launch party'" and "It's just going to be an FNM thing now", they've functionally ended launch events without actually having to declare it dead.

No. It's not that obvious, at least to me. When I clicked on the article (I hardly ever read those things anymore; if something happens I will hear of it through a rant of some sort), I thought they would have said something. But it seems like nothing was said at all. 

I do not understand what it is about the way that these people speak sometimes. We're generally not stupid, and if you are going to take yet another thing away that players have come to love, just throw it out there. If what this person is trying to tell us is along the lines of ending the weekend-long event, then that really, really sucks. I don't play many limited events, but you can bet your ass that I always play several Sealed events during release and prerelease events all weekend long. On those weekends, my friend and I play FNM, then two events Saturday and at least one on Sunday.

Those weekends make us sick of playing Magic, which is a good thing since we don't see each other except 3 or four times a year. During those weekends we play such an opulent amount of Magic that it's borderline insane. I'm sure that if I was to tell a counselor (a certain Brooke Smith) that, she would have a fit and say that I'm addicted to it.

A couple weekends ago I went to visit my friend, I got there, we went to FNM, and then played more Magic when we got home until about 4 a.m. We tried to play Gears of War after that, but being far too tired we quit before we embarrassed ourselves. Then we woke up Saturday morning, went to the mid-morning Sealed even, played Gears, then went to the evening event. Returned home, beat Gears, then played a few more "Casual" games of Magic. The next day, we went to an afternoon event, then we played three-way with his girlfriend (*smirk*), then played a few more games during the Super Bowl.

I mean, it pretty much makes our weekend for us. If they are doing away with something, then they need to come straight out and say it. It does suck though. I mean, how many times could I possibly subject myself to three-way Magic before I commit suicide? I don't have to answer that question with Sealed events going on all week. 

Perhaps I have to prepare myself to answer that question now. 

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

4. There have been no announced changes to Prerelease events (except that they are planning to add "something" for Avacyn Restored).

So it's been announced that there is an announcement to be made. My gosh, PR-speak sickens me sometimes. When there is something to be said, all we get is a nebulous statement that, when really picked apart, is actually meaningless. It reminds of something that happened recently. There was an announcement made my LG Chemical which adversely affected the stock price of the parent company of the company I work for. When questioned, the CEO gave a statement to the media that meant absolutely nothing. Why even bother to say anything at all if you are either going to say nothing, or (as is the case with WotC) tell us something that we might not like?

Remember when they were going to ban Jace, the Mind Sculptor? They gave us an unusually fair warning before the June 20th date on which it was banned. We all knew it. Here? All we get is something saying that something is going to change, but as far as you know, it's up in the air. That sucks.  

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
I for one find this very disappointing. I love prereleases and releases, they're a fantastic way to spend a weekend meeting new people and playing with a new set. Since I have a job I can never get to FNMs and even if I could leave the office early I would be way too tired to play. Also, having to put off dinner until nine (or later) really isn't my thing.

Moving the release party to the FNM means that it'll just be the store's regulars who will attend only with the added benefit of getting to draft a new set and getting a foil for it. That's just the opposite of what a release event should be for me.

I played at the prerelease this weekend and it was really cool, the Helvault was a great addition to the event and we even managed to have the prerelease in a new location, the royal armoury (the store owner even got to borrow a suit of armour for when the Helvault was opened). Why would anyone want to change a great event like that? If it was up to me, I'd do it again next weekend!

These events should feel special, like the prerelease did, but suddenly, we're losing a whole weekend of fun! The planning behind this seems very removed from what the players want.