DPR King Candidates 3.0

506 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yes, but via PHB3 you can pick Fighter Weapon Talent, and via DCSC you can swap FWT for Arena Training.

The only reason you wouldn't be allowed to do this is if the Hybrid rules explicitly forbade it; they actually don't. The section on Trading Class Features (PHB3 137) says "A hybrid character can't trade a hybrid version of a class feature for a nonhybrid version of a class feature" - which doesn't rule out trading FWT for Arena Training, because the version you get is not a hybrid version, it is the original.

For ABR+RT: they really aren't inconsistent, there's an easy way to apply them. You did not deal damage, triggering ABR, which makes you deal damage, triggering RT.

Your argument is like saying you don't get RT if you have an effect that lets you reroll a miss and turn it into a hit - RT only adds to a hit, the reroll only triggers on a miss, therefore they cannot both happen. But it's not true, because an effect can change the original trigger - a reroll turns a miss into a hit, or ABR turns a non-damaging attack into a damaging attack.
The hybrid Arena Training idea is identical to a hybrid/MC Cleric taking BCL.
Sigh.

That's nice that you think that.

You analogy argument actually isn't the same at all. You're basically saying that you missed, rerolled, and have something that triggers on a miss and something that triggers on a hit, and you get to use both. You can resolve the miss and trigger the miss thing, or resolve the hit and trigger the hit thing. Not both. It doesn't work. Even assuming your intepretation were valid, and it isn't, it'd go against rulings on similar things like Hammer Rhythm, Scimitar Dance, and a number of other game elements. If there are two RAW options and one of them has a dev smacking you and saying "No" which one is right? The other one.
What rulings on Hammer Rhythm and Scimitar Dance? I'm not sure what you're referring to there...but those feats do have specific clauses about how their damage isn't modified by anything. A clause that ABR lacks.

Are you saying that Rending Tempest (and presumably other on-hit effects) would not be able to trigger if you hit due to a reroll?
Adding damage rolls to static damage powers (or even no damage powers) would destroy ALOT of things.  Magic Missile / Brutal Barrage would certainly enjoy it.

That said...

Have you considered twofold flinch + lighting fury + revenant?  Should be pretty close to blender.  Mabey better.  Since you can focus accuracy a bit more (no need to miss), have room for more feats, and/or possibly another slide booster(s) from another class (psion's controlling advantage perhaps).  +1 to slides just about make up for the lack of damage rolls.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I don't really participate in these sorts of threads much, but has anyone done much in the way of non striker/non hybrid striker top DPR builds?  I find those more interesting than striker ones.
If you're talking about exploits that non-striker classes have, we have many of them: Brutal Barrage, Hellish RebukeLaughing, I'm sure there are a couple others.

If you're talking about how get generic non-striker classes do impressive damage we have a couple of those: Get a good MBA and attach charge kit(druid does well here), Wizard is conducive to blasting(see merilith), Artificer and warlord both have good nova potential, Tempest is grey area but is technically a defender.

If you're looking for DPR focused builds of the most popular non-strikers classes we'd have to work hard to not want to revert to the easy MBA+Charge. 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
I don't really participate in these sorts of threads much, but has anyone done much in the way of non striker/non hybrid striker top DPR builds?  I find those more interesting than striker ones.

The top DPR is mostly a battlemind.  Only hybrid sorcerer for the Paragon Path.

Also, i have a wizard that get's 100 DPR, by charging with a gouge.  :-p

Bladesinger's don't do to shabby either. 

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Have you considered twofold flinch + lighting fury + revenant?  Should be pretty close to blender.  Mabey better.  Since you can focus accuracy a bit more (no need to miss), have room for more feats, and/or possibly another slide booster(s) from another class (psion's controlling advantage perhaps).  +1 to slides just about make up for the lack of damage rolls.

I did consider this. It's hard to get Twofold Flinch at-will though. Mul Battle Slave + Legendary Sovereign was the only way I could get that part to work...which then rules out Lightning Fury.

I did consider this. It's hard to get Twofold Flinch at-will though. Mul Battle Slave + Legendary Sovereign was the only way I could get that part to work...which then rules out Lightning Fury.

I thought there was an ED that just flat made an encounter power at-will...

guides
Power
my builds

As far as I know, only Arcane Sword, which only works on Swordmage powers.
There is an error in the DPR calculations of the twin striking monk at level 12 (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)

The DPR of the second flurry is calculated based on the chance of an attack hitting, when the second flurry actually only occurs if BOTH twin strike attacks hit. The second flurry DPR should be 38.88 and not 43.2. Other numbers using that flurry dpr also need to be adjusted accordingly.

Edit: nevermind the other thing I said, that's me just not looking at the weapon property.
There is an error in the DPR calculations of the twin striking monk at level 12 (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)

The DPR of the second flurry is calculated based on the chance of an attack hitting, when the second flurry actually only occurs if BOTH twin strike attacks hit. The second flurry DPR should be 38.88 and not 43.2. Other numbers using that flurry dpr also need to be adjusted accordingly.

Edit: nevermind the other thing I said, that's me just not looking at the weapon property.

Fixed the proc chance on the second Flurry. While I was at it, I broke down and added Frost Cheese via whetstones. It dropped my Flurry damage a little, but since I'm losing 1K5R and 2KP10R just from Flurry overflow, it barely made a difference.
Sorry, I reread a couple of the earlier parts of the thread, and realized I missed something.
Adding damage rolls to static damage powers (or even no damage powers) would destroy ALOT of things.  Magic Missile / Brutal Barrage would certainly enjoy it.

This is already an established thing, it's in the HoB. By RAW, a damage roll is defined as "a roll of dice to determine damage." There is also nothing about Extra Damage that says it does not qualify as a damage roll. Since the 1[W] extra damage from RT is a dice roll, you are now making a damage roll.

As far as I know, my build is the first time anyone combined this with damage on a normally non-damaging effect (which can also be gotten via pushes/proning and Draconic Arrogance/Iron Vanguard...not sure of other ways to gain damage on a non-damaging thing).
Objection: Arena Battle Rhythm just says the target "takes damage," not necessarily that you're dealing it as part of the hit. If you're not dealing it, then you can't add Rending Tempest.
Rebuttal: For starters, the rules generally treat "the target takes damage" due to your attack identically to "you deal damage to the target." But if you want to get more specific, just compare to the wording of Critical Hits on RC 217. It says that, on a crit, you do not deal damage as normal. "Instead, the target takes damage as if the maximum result had been rolled for damage." But then a moment later, it describes how extra damage (such as from a magic weapon's crit dice) will still add in, even though the wording is "the target takes damage." This is identical to what I'm doing with Arena Battle Rhythm + Rending Tempest.

Your quote is out of context.
When an attack score a critical hit against a target, the target takes the maximum damage possible from the attack. Don't make a damage roll. Instead, the target takes damage as if the maximum result had been rolled for damage. [etc.]

It is clearly stated that the damage comes from the attack, and the sentence you quoted can easily be a sort of ellipsis. ("Instead, the target takes damage [from the attack] as if the maximum result had been rolled for damage.")

So, cite something in evidence of 'For starters, the rules generally treat "the target takes damage" due to your attack identically to "you deal damage to the target."'
Hey Borg,
How did you find your formula for the number of targets of a N*N zone that is in your google doc?
I kinf of agree with the results of "doesn't target allies" but the "targets allies" one gives me a decreasing result when I increase the size of the burst, I'm pretty sure a bigger explosion should hurt more people.

Also, I'm calculating the effect of the Evocation Apprentice feature with this formula :
 1/2*C^x+1/2*C^(x-1)+...+1/2*C^(1)
with d being the die of the spell, x the number of dice rolling and C=(d-1)/d or in other words the chance not to roll a 1 on the die (5/6 for a d6 for exemple).
Wich gives a gain of 0.42 damage on scorching burst (1d6) and  1.29 damage on fire ball (4d6) (awesome feature there!).
But then I can't insert this thing on a google spreedsheet (i'm stuck cause there is no cell(x,x) function). Anyone knows how to? Or knows a simplier formula that I can use?
Check out lookup and vlookup
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?

I kinf of agree with the results of "doesn't target allies" but the "targets allies" one gives me a decreasing result when I increase the size of the burst, I'm pretty sure a bigger explosion should hurt more people.

After a certain point increased unfriendly burst size really does reduce the number of enemies you can hit because it's harder to fit in without hitting your allies.
Check out lookup and vlookup

Yep, but it's ugly and.. well whatever it works.

After a certain point increased unfriendly burst size really does reduce the number of enemies you can hit because it's harder to fit in without hitting your allies.

Young trained owlbears shall die
Well now, am trying to calculate the effects of ongoing damage but I can't see how many turns I should fix for the monster to be still living.
Obviously, with things like the master of flame f11 "double int ongoing fire on a crit" the monster should live less turns than with regular ongoing from a power.
Well now, am trying to calculate the effects of ongoing damage but I can't see how many turns I should fix for the monster to be still living.
Obviously, with things like the master of flame f11 "double int ongoing fire on a crit" the monster should live less turns than with regular ongoing from a power.

They should last for RPK (Rounds per Kill) = 1/KPR.
I know they are interrelated, but it should be a good enough approximation. 
DPR King Candidates 3.0

They should last for RPK (Rounds per Kill) = 1/KPR.
I know they are interrelated, but it should be a good enough approximation. 

I though about this but my spreedsheet is gonna blow if I do this.
Oh wait, I should make a RPK cell without ongoing and hide it somewhere and a RPK cell with ongoing... I don't like aprox tho
Two basic questions:
- Why aren't there more WLMR builds?  Specifically I would think that the Paladin/Blackguard builds would benefit from WLMR.  I'm making one but wondering if I am missing something on the core mechanic that invalidates that approach
- I see some of the calcs including poison damage from assassin.  In general is it legit to include the benefit from encounter long daily powers?  I think poison is only a daily?

thank you 
1) WLMR need a monster to attack you to do anything. So unless you give it a reason to (defender's aura), it won't. And it will always take the lesser amount of damage (cause this is a damage thread). Also, it doesn't work with marks, so paladins can't use it well (perhaps certain justice can work for a turn).

guides
Power
my builds

EDIT: Minor corrections. Also, recent errata means this build uses 3 rare items (Ring of Free Time, Dice of Auspicious Fortune, and Stone of Spirit). 3 rares in Epic is considered acceptable, but none of them are really necessary anyway. Switch Many-Fingered Gloves+Ring of Free Time for Breaching Gauntlets, if desired (helps with Resist All; not many good options...)

I've seen a bunch of dragonbreath spamming builds lately, so after a while I started to look into it in full detail. Combined it with some ideas from the Blender and some tactics, and it got pretty fun...

Tags: Rev., noLFR, AoE (optionally)

Level 30 Build

Inferno
Revenant (Dragonborn), Sorcerer|Shaman, Ninefold Master, Archspell (Doom of Chaos)
Sorcerous Power (Dex), Companion Spirit (World Speaker Spirit)
Ninefold Master resistance: Lightning
Dragon Breath: Fire, Constitution
Theme: Harper Agent
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 26, Dex 26, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 41 Fort: 38 Reflex: 38 Will: 38

Trained skill: Religion

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent (Dragon Soul Fire)
Level 2: Dragonborn Soul
Level 4: Enlarged Dragon Breath
Level 6: Mark of Storm
Level 8: Draconic Spellcasting
Level 10: Death's Quickening
Level 11: Arcane Admixture (Dragon Breath, Lightning)
Level 12: Cyclone Spirit
Level 14: Arcane Reach
Level 16: Burning Breath
Level 18: Ancient Soul
Level 21: Thundering Breath
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality
Level 22: Superior Will
Level 24: Conflagration Breath
Level 26: Disciplined Talent
Level 28: Sorcerous Flux
Level 30: Controlling Advantage

POWERS
Encounter: Dragon Breath
Utility: Deliverance of Faith, Maiden's Waking
Daily: Doom of Chaos

ITEMS
Arkhosian Scepter +6, Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier), Many-Fingered Gloves (paragon tier), Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Life Charm +5, Eager Hero's Tattoo (epic tier), Rushing Cleats (heroic tier), Coif of Focus (epic tier), Ring of the Crimson Sun (paragon tier), Zaarani's Solitaire (heroic tier), Salve of Power (heroic tier), Ankhmon's Bracers (paragon tier), Totem of the Harrier's Claws +3, Harper Pin (heroic tier), Wyrmsilk Armor of Resistance +6 (thunder), Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier), Stone of Flame (paragon tier)

Tactics

Before the encounter, make sure you are at nonpositive HP and have your spirit companion conjured. Also, spend 4 healing surges right after ending an extended rest, so that each battle starts with at least 27 THP from the Eager Hero's Tattoo.

First round: Use Doom of Chaos (choose fire), then spam Dragon Breath (you will have 6 minors: 5 from revenant cheese + 1 from the Ring of Free Time).
Subsequent rounds: Use Dragon Breath 6 times (5 minors + 1 standard).

Dragon Breath can use a square within 2 as its origin due to Arcane Reach. Also, it pushes Con mod squares when it hits due to Thundering Breath (though I'm only going to push 4), then slides 4 (Mark of Storm+Rushing Cleats+Cyclone Spirit+Controlling Advantage), and is a blast 5 due to Enlarged Dragon Breath. When it hits me, I recharge it via Ancient Soul, so I make sure to be in the blast. Diagram:

O x x x x x
x|E x x x x|
F|x S x x x|
x|F x x x x|
F|x x x x x|
x|F x x x x

O = origin square for blast, E = enemy, S = self, F = forced movement square (path that the push/slide follows)

Each DB creates a zone (Conflagration Breath), so by using the forced movement in this way, the enemy enters the zone 4 times per hit (and takes the zone damage, which deals 20 damage due to Doom of Chaos giving vulnerable 10 fire). Also, the zones stack. Which means that, on the 6th DB of turn 2, there are 12 overlapping zones and the enemy takes damage from each one, i.e. 240 damage each time it enters, for 960 damage per hit.

CA is gained for Controlling Advantage via the Totem of the Harrier's Claws and Burning Breath. I'm not sure where the SC needs to be to trigger Cyclone Spirit (should it be adjacent to the enemy's initial square, or the square that they start sliding from?), but wherever it's ruled that the SC needs to be, that's where I put it.

Also, the first time a crit is scored (after the first round), I use Zaarani's Solitaire to do another slide and get a bunch more damage.

With Sorcerous Flux, I make sure that I always get hit by DB (I can hit myself on a 2). If a 1 is rolled against both targets, I use an AP to DB again as a free action (this is the only thing APs are saved for). I can also recover DB 2/day with the Ring of the Radiant Storm and the Salve of Power...but the APs should almost always be enough.

Dice of Auspicious Fortune are used to help ensure a miss with Doom of Chaos (anything other than a 20 will miss).

If the SC is killed, then I need to use a minor action to bring it back (the damage is completely resisted, so it doesn't matter). That hurts DPR...but it also probably means that the enemy has not actually harmed the party at all, so it works out to practically a stun. As such, the enemy is unlikely to choose this.

The enemy could move around, but the standard assumption for DPR calcs is that they do not. Also, the blast has pretty good range, so shifting is unlikely to get them far enough, and I'd just use the first DB to slide them back into position in the main zone. Worst case scenario, I throw rarity rules to the wind and buy 5 Rings of Personal Gravity (they're cheap) and use one each encounter to lock the enemy down.

Surviving

Taking all these hits will hurt. It doesn't hurt that much...each attack is 3d6+29, and I have resist 30 and insubstantial, so expected damage is 4.5. But when it's 6 attacks per turn, that adds up quickly.

First thing is the aforementioned Eager Hero's Tattoo. That soaks up all the damage from turn 1. Then there's more THP from the Ring of the Crimson Sun, giving me a good 6 more rounds of life...which is not enough. So at the end of that last round, trigger Ankhmon's Bracers on the second-to-last DB (reroll with Stone of Flame if necessary; must hit the enemy). This gives healing, which means we start at 0 when gaining the HP. Then on the last DB, I go back to negative (not too much damage though; I still have 15 resist from the armor + PP + Dragon Soul). I am dazed.

On the next round, save vs. the daze via Superior Will (+5 from Coif of Focus, +1 from background). If it fails, reroll with a +2 via Harper Pin. If that fails, use Maiden's Walking to ignore the daze this turn, then save again at the beginning of the next one.

That should be enough HP to get through 10 rounds. If not, there is also Deliverance of Faith to get a surge worth of THP (1/enc), and also Healing Spirit (1/enc) if I run into big trouble.

Can never fail a death saving throw due to the Life Charm.

Calculations

Actual calculations are all done in the DPR Kings spreadsheet (go to View -> Hidden Sheets -> Inferno; please re-hide afterward). I won't bother writing it out here to explain, but I tried to make at least the attack and damage bonuses as transparent as possible.

Calculations for the AoE were not done in depth at all because I don't think it's as interesting, and figuring out how Sorcerous Flux improves everything is complicated, and it's just generally a lot of work. So I assumed that the damage dealt to the secondary targets was 1/4 of my base damage (because they don't have the fire vulnerability, and they aren't necessarily positioned well to make the push damage them). I think if I did all the calculations it'd end up a little higher than that, but not by enough to make me care.

Simplifications for the single target damage:
1) I assume the very first DB was a hit, to cause OGD and create CA.
2) I assume the enemy always has OGD on its turn (this only fails if every single DB missed on the last turn, and the enemy successfully saved against ODB last time).
3) The damage added by the Ring of the Radiant Storm was approximated by simulating the dice rolls a million times.

There are a number of other assumptions/simplifications made, but those are all generally contained in the Tactics section already.

Single-target KPR: 14.61 (post-MS: 18.30)
AoE KPR: 19.28 (post-MS: 24.15)

I can't really see anything controversial in this build; the meat of the damage is from the fact that Conflagration Breath creates a damaging zone that was unaffected by the zone nerf, and overlapping zones each deal damage as normal, and DB can be recharged perpetually via Ancient Soul...all of that is pretty clearly established. The rest is just fluff for optimizing around that basic tactic.
Nice.

Not sure it needs noD though.   I mean, you got resist 30 and insubstantial.  Which i've proven to be more then enough to survive battles while sleeping.  And it's not like things hit you on a 2 either (7 perhaps, but not 2).

guides
Power
my builds

...stuff...

There are a number of other assumptions/simplifications made, but those are all generally contained in the Tactics section already.
[/sblock]
Single-target KPR: 14.65 (post-MS: 18.35)
AoE KPR: 19.33 (post-MS: 24.22)

I can't really see anything controversial in this build; the meat of the damage is from the fact that Conflagration Breath creates a damaging zone that was unaffected by the zone nerf, and overlapping zones each deal damage as normal, and DB can be recharged perpetually via Ancient Soul...all of that is pretty clearly established. The rest is just fluff for optimizing around that basic tactic.

Marilith Summoner: "It's OVER 9000!!!!"  
Blender: "It's OVER 90002!!!!"
Breath of Death: "It's over 29000!!!!!"

The safest choice for a monster is to leave the zone.  having to recreate the stacking zones each round nearly halves your KPR.  Seeing that no monster could withstand 1 round I think you're fine.  
What about large monsters? 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
The safest choice for a monster is to leave the zone.  having to recreate the stacking zones each round nearly halves your KPR.  Seeing that no monster could withstand 1 round I think you're fine.  
What about large monsters? 

Size makes no difference.  Just line it up a bit.

Though i agree walking out of the zone is probably something even a block of tofu would do.

guides
Power
my builds

Walking out of the zone has less of an effect than you might think. If they just plain run away as fast as possible, okay, that's one thing. But if they're still attacking me, just from a different nearby point, I use the forced movement from my first DB to slide them back into the main zone, then do the rest of my turn as normal. It does hurt DPR, but definitely doesn't halve it. Especially since, if I can place the new zone adjacent to the old one, then I can push/slide the enemy from one into the other.

Or, like I said: eat an IRC tag and buy 5 Rings of Personal Gravity
Honestly i would consider doing that.
For example.  X is your first turn zone, and the moster moves to M.

11111XXXXX
1M111XXXXX
11111XXSXX
11111XXXXX
11111XXXXX

You can side between 1 and X, still netting the zone damage.  So only subtract the push/slides your first DB (after turn 1).

[sblock another game's tofu]
[/sblock] 

guides
Power
my builds

Has anyone made an excel template for KPR builds?  It would be nice to have something to begin with before I make my own.
I've seen a bunch of dragonbreath spamming builds lately, so after a while I started to look into it in full detail. Combined it with some ideas from the Blender and some tactics, and it got pretty fun...

Tags: Rev., noLFR, noD (kinda), AoE (optionally)

Level 30 Build

Inferno
Revenant (Dragonborn), Sorcerer|Shaman, Ninefold Master, Archspell (Doom of Chaos)
Sorcerous Power (Dex), Companion Spirit (World Speaker Spirit)
Ninefold Master resistance: Lightning
Dragon Breath: Fire, Constitution
Theme: Harper Agent
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 26, Dex 26, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 41 Fort: 38 Reflex: 38 Will: 38

Trained skill: Religion

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent (Dragon Soul Fire)
Level 2: Dragonborn Soul
Level 4: Enlarged Dragon Breath
Level 6: Mark of Storm
Level 8: Draconic Spellcasting
Level 10: Death's Quickening
Level 11: Arcane Admixture (Dragon Breath, Lightning)
Level 12: Cyclone Spirit
Level 14: Arcane Reach
Level 16: Burning Breath
Level 18: Ancient Soul
Level 21: Thundering Breath
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality
Level 22: Superior Will
Level 24: Conflagration Breath
Level 26: Disciplined Talent
Level 28: Sorcerous Flux
Level 30: Controlling Advantage

POWERS
Encounter: Dragon Breath
Utility: Deliverance of Faith, Maiden's Waking
Daily: Doom of Chaos

ITEMS
Arkhosian Scepter +6, Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier), Many-Fingered Gloves (paragon tier), Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Life Charm +5, Eager Hero's Tattoo (epic tier), Rushing Cleats (heroic tier), Coif of Focus (epic tier), Ring of the Crimson Sun (paragon tier), Zaarani's Solitaire (heroic tier), Salve of Power (heroic tier), Stone of Flame (paragon tier), Ankhmon's Bracers (paragon tier), Totem of the Harrier's Claws +3, Harper Pin (heroic tier), Wyrmsilk Armor of Resistance +6 (thunder), Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier), Stone of Spirit (paragon tier)

Tactics

Before the encounter, make sure you are at nonpositive HP and have your spirit companion conjured. Also, spend 4 healing surges right after ending an extended rest, so that each battle starts with at least 27 THP from the Eager Hero's Tattoo.

First round: Use Doom of Chaos (choose fire), then spam Dragon Breath (you will have 6 minors: 5 from revenant cheese + 1 from the Ring of Free Time).
Subsequent rounds: Use Dragon Breath 6 times (5 minors + 1 standard).

Dragon Breath can use a square within 2 as its origin due to Arcane Reach. Also, it pushes Con mod squares when it hits due to Thundering Breath (though I'm only going to push 4), then slides 4 (Mark of Storm+Rushing Cleats+Cyclone Spirit+Controlling Advantage), and is a blast 5 due to Enlarged Dragon Breath. When it hits me, I recharge it via Ancient Soul, so I make sure to be in the blast. Diagram:

O x x x x x
x|E x x x x|
F|x S x x x|
x|F x x x x|
F|x x x x x|
x|F x x x x

O = origin square for blast, E = enemy, S = self, F = forced movement square (path that the push/slide follows)

Each DB creates a zone (Conflagration Breath), so by using the forced movement in this way, the enemy enters the zone 4 times per hit (and takes the zone damage, which deals 20 damage due to Doom of Chaos giving vulnerable 10 fire). Also, the zones stack. Which means that, on the 6th DB of turn 2, there are 12 overlapping zones and the enemy takes damage from each one, i.e. 240 damage each time it enters, for 960 damage per hit.

CA is gained for Controlling Advantage via the Totem of the Harrier's Claws and Burning Breath. I'm not sure where the SC needs to be to trigger Cyclone Spirit (should it be adjacent to the enemy's initial square, or the square that they start sliding from?), but wherever it's ruled that the SC needs to be, that's where I put it.

Also, the first time a crit is scored (after the first round), I use Zaarani's Solitaire to do another slide and get a bunch more damage.

With Sorcerous Flux, I make sure that I always get hit by DB (I can hit myself on a 2). If a 1 is rolled against both targets, I use an AP to DB again as a free action (this is the only thing APs are saved for). I can also reroll 1/day with the Ring of the Radiant Storm, and I can recover DB 1/day with the Salve of Power...but the APs should almost always be enough.

Dice of Auspicious Fortune and the Stone of Spirit are used to ensure a miss with Doom of Chaos (anything other than a 20 will miss).

If the SC is killed, then I need to use a minor action to bring it back (the damage is completely resisted, so it doesn't matter). That hurts DPR...but it also probably means that the enemy has not actually harmed the party at all, so it works out to practically a stun. As such, the enemy is unlikely to choose this.

The enemy could move around, but the standard assumption for DPR calcs is that they do not. Also, the blast has pretty good range, so shifting is unlikely to get them far enough, and I'd just use the first DB to slide them back into position in the main zone. Worst case scenario, I throw rarity rules to the wind and buy 5 Rings of Personal Gravity (they're cheap) and use one each encounter to lock the enemy down.

Surviving

Taking all these hits will hurt. It doesn't hurt that much...each attack is 3d6+29, and I have resist 30 and insubstantial, so expected damage is 4.5. But when it's 6 attacks per turn, that adds up quickly.

First thing is the aforementioned Eager Hero's Tattoo. That soaks up all the damage from turn 1. Then there's more THP from the Ring of the Crimson Sun, giving me a good 6 more rounds of life...which is not enough. So at the end of that last round, trigger Ankhmon's Bracers on the second-to-last DB (reroll with Stone of Flame if necessary; must hit the enemy). This gives healing, which means we start at 0 when gaining the HP. Then on the last DB, I go back to negative (not too much damage though; I still have 15 resist from the armor + PP + Dragon Soul). I am dazed.

On the next round, save vs. the daze via Superior Will (+5 from Coif of Focus, +1 from background). If it fails, reroll with a +2 via Harper Pin. If that fails, use Maiden's Walking to ignore the daze this turn, then save again at the beginning of the next one.

That should be enough HP to get through 10 rounds. If not, there is also Deliverance of Faith to get a surge worth of THP (1/enc), and also Healing Spirit (1/enc) if I run into big trouble.

Can never fail a death saving throw due to the Life Charm.

Calculations

Actual calculations are all done on this sheet in the DPR Kings spreadsheet. I won't bother writing it out here to explain, but I tried to make at least the attack and damage bonuses as transparent as possible.

Calculations for the AoE were not done in depth at all because I don't think it's as interesting, and figuring out how Sorcerous Flux improves everything is complicated, and it's just generally a lot of work. So I assumed that the damage dealt to the secondary targets was 1/4 of my base damage (because they don't have the fire vulnerability, and they aren't necessarily positioned well to make the push damage them). I think if I did all the calculations it'd end up a little higher than that, but not by enough to make me care.

Simplifications for the single target damage:
1) I assume the very first DB was a hit, to cause OGD and create CA.
2) I assume the enemy always has OGD on its turn (this only fails if every single DB missed on the last turn, and the enemy successfully saved against ODB last time).
3) The damage added by the Ring of the Radiant Storm was approximated by simulating the dice rolls a million times.

Single-target KPR: 14.65 (post-MS: 18.35)
AoE KPR: 19.33 (post-MS: 24.22)

Few questions about this build.

1) How are you getting your psion feats with no psion MC?

2) Your resistances from the armor, PP and Dragonsoul. Armor gives you 15 thunder, PP gives you 20 lightning, and Dragonsoul gives 15 fire. You take the lowest one because your attack does all 3. You have 15 resist to those 3 elements, but you have 15 pierce fire from dragonsoul... how does that play out? Maybe since you pierce 15 fire, one of your resistances becomes 0, and thus you get 0 resistance for the entire attack.
Do you pierce any of the 30 resist-all from the belt?

3) I always thought that no zones could overlap... what is the zone nerf?
How does this Avenger build get its Radiant keyword on attacks with its greatsword? I can see Cold from the whetstone, but it also needs Radiant to trigger Morninglord's Burning Radiance. Would appreciate some help on understanding how it works.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Painful Oath. Avenger feat, adds +Wis radiant and necrotic damage the first time you hit your Oath target each turn.

11111XXXXX
1M111XXXXX
11111XXSXX
11111XXXXX
11111XXXXX

You can side between 1 and X, still netting the zone damage.  So only subtract the push/slides your first DB (after turn 1).

Well...there are a few options for getting around this, but I guess my hesitation is that most of the minor action DPR builds have a similar problem (your Blender being a notable exception due to dazing). But for the others, if the enemy shifts away after attacking each turn, then you lose 1 attack for following...yet this is ignored.

Also, an option for dealing with a melee enemy: don't slide them back on the last DB, just keep them far away while sliding. Then they're forced to end within melee reach of you, making it easy to bring them back.

If the enemy is sufficiently close, then I can set up my next DB to slide them into the main zone *and* be adjacent so I can take advantage of this zone as well (which means I lose out on some push/slide damage on one hit, but that's all). I'd say this assumption is the most reasonable, based on assumptions used by all the other builds. Agree?

I don't really have much trouble recalculating with reduced DPR (it'll be monstrous no matter what), I just wanna find a reasonable assumption for what the enemy does.

Also, interestingly enough: this would increase my AoE damage, because everyone in my new zone can be pushed/slid into the old one (in this case, slide first to be in good pushing position, then push in such a way as to end up in the primary zone)

Few questions about this build.

1) How are you getting your psion feats with no psion MC?

2) Your resistances from the armor, PP and Dragonsoul. Armor gives you 15 thunder, PP gives you 20 lightning, and Dragonsoul gives 15 fire. You take the lowest one because your attack does all 3. You have 15 resist to those 3 elements, but you have 15 pierce fire from dragonsoul... how does that play out? Maybe since you pierce 15 fire, one of your resistances becomes 0, and thus you get 0 resistance for the entire attack.
Do you pierce any of the 30 resist-all from the belt?

3) I always thought that no zones could overlap... what is the zone nerf?

1) There is a Psion MC. Level 26 feat, Disciplined Talent.

2) Interesting, forgot about the piercing. I don't think that affects the resist all from the belt, but I'll look at it more later. It does make the damage from attacking myself while not dying (after using Ankhmon's Bracers) a bit more painful.

In that case, might as well switch out the armor, too, since the only reason for it was to reduce the damage on that attack.

3) Zones overlap. If they give a penalty (like a -2 to attacks while in the zone, for example) then those do not stack. However, damaging zones that overlap behave as normal.

The zone nerf was the last batch of updates, where almost every zone was changed to only working 1/turn. They missed a couple though (notably, this one and Lightning Fury). 

11111XXXXX
1M111XXXXX
11111XXSXX
11111XXXXX
11111XXXXX

Well...there are a few options for getting around this, but I guess my hesitation is that most of the minor action DPR builds have a similar problem (your Blender being a notable exception due to dazing). But for the others, if the enemy shifts away after attacking each turn, then you lose 1 attack for following...yet this is ignored. 

True...

But i still feel movement needs to be added somewhere in DPR calculations.  Expecting to start next to an enemy, and have it not move, is kinda...  expectant...

guides
Power
my builds

I may have missed it here but is there a standard assumption of how many charges a character will be able to make given x number of rounds?
Yea, I just read the errata and found my DB combo now does not work as well. I was using a sorc/wiz hybrid, and cast cloud of daggers that at low level I would just walk through to recharge my breath and take my 1 point of damage, and at paragon take the lightning transport and the planestrider boots to tp in and out to get 3 DBs on my turn. It had a ~75DPR... but now, cloud of daggers only lets to take the damage once per turn, so that makes it a 1/my turn attack  Surprised I would need to find some off-turn effect that lets me either move or use the DB and kill to recharge. Opportunity breath comes to mind, but we can't really figure DPS on "if enemy provokes me to take OA on it".  And sweet, I'm currently playing a storm sorc, and plan on taking the PP to get the zone they missed. Laughing (Lightning Fury)
I may have missed it here but is there a standard assumption of how many charges a character will be able to make given x number of rounds?

If you can't justify being able to charge every round, then a Charge tag is put next to your character. But no, there's nothing peculiar to this thread that stops you from charging to your heart's content.
First time posting a build so let me know when I mess up.

Anyways, this is a Level 6 controller Nova build that throws out insane damage without even rolling to hit thanks to the oversight of Storm Pillar.

The Lazy Blender

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Lazy Blender, level 6
Genasi, Psion/Wizard
Discipline Focus (Hybrid) Option: Telekinesis Focus (Hybrid)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Encounter Power
Hybrid Talent Option: Expanded Discipline Focus
Elemental Manifestation Option: Voidsoul
Associate: Trained Young Owlbear
Luruar (Luruar Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 17, WIS 10, CHA 8

AC: 19 Fort: 18 Ref: 19 Will: 17
HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, History +13, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Athletics +7, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +2, Nature +5, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Streetwise +2, Thievery +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Genasi Racial Power: Void Assumption
Psion Feature: Far Hand
Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
Wizard Utility: Light
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Psion Feature: Forceful Push
Wizard Attack 1: Twilight Falls
Wizard Attack 1: Storm Pillar
Psion Attack 1: Living Missile
History Utility 2: Strategist's Epiphany
Psion Attack 3: Psychic Anomaly
Wizard Attack 5: Visions of Avarice
Wizard Utility 6: Glowering Wrath

FEATS
Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Controlling Advantage
Level 4: Discipline Adept
Level 6: Elemental Empowerment

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Shadowdance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Magic Orb +2 x1
====== End ======

How it works

This build has 100% accuracy because it doesn't roll to hit.

Typical Encounter Nova turn:
Minor Action - Glowering Wrath
Move Action - Move Owlbear next to target enemy to blow up
Standard     - Storm Pillar

Wait until enemy's turn comes up, then use Forceful Push as a Free Action to slide it 4 squares (Controlling Advantage + Glowering Wrath) and trigger Storm Pillar 4x. If it is not dead, use Forceful Push a second time (Discipline Adept).

Damage Breakdown:
1d6 + 13 per storm pillar

5 Int mod
2 Enhancement
4 Element Empowerment
2 Owlbear aura

Damage Total:

(2 Forceful Pushes)
8d6 + 104 = 132

(1 Forceful Push)
4d6 + 52 = 66

For more fun, Action Point and throw in a Psychic Anomaly. Since Psychic Anomaly requires a hit, it can also be boosted to slide an insane number of squares.