DPR King Candidates 2.0

1766 posts / 0 new
Last post
I agree with OneCrazyMojo; anyone can use a theme, so it should be allowed.  If people want to update their builds to include new things (which they should) then by all means let them do so; until then, the old builds will be listed, and since they aren't actually obselete, they are still perfectly viable - and anyone looking at them might notice if they are missing a theme entirely (as all of mine are missing themes), and hopefully can add a reasonable theme.  I don't worry about updating every last thing, because I'm looking for new builds.
You've made a convincing argument.  I'll update the candidate.  

Hear ye, Hear ye.  O Candidates of yore, Ye shall be left in the dust if ye durst not upgrade yourselves with a  theme which shall be henceforth acceptable to all, both low level and high level.  

I'm borg285 and I support this message. 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Awesome. Also, I love your posts.
Shoot. Realized a flaw with the owlbugbear. Since you only have CA while your target is adjacent to your owlbear, the DM's optimal choice is to first shift away. While you still get to follow, your pet doesn't, so now the baddie is still going to draw an attack, but you no longer have CA, so no SA. Biiiig DPR hit.

Tl;dr- forget the build, riposte thief still best choice.
Got around to a lvl 12 version. Thief variant still beats out rogue version (by about 0.4 DPR).
Some assumptions:
-Your target is only adjacent to you.
-At 100g a pop and a minor action, you can afford to apply a Frozen Whetstone to the Bloodiron Dagger every combat at the start.
-Assuming frost vulnerability from the start is the norm here, so I went ahead and did the same. If you miss your target or attack a new one, subtract 4.75 from the expected damage. I should note that is a much more accurate real world value, since you will rarely need to attack the same monster more than once.
-I went ahead and rolled the bonus crit damage from Bloodiron into the base crit math (6d10 once instead of two iterations of 3d10). Same result, unless the bonus crit damage on the next turn still counts as having the cold keyword (since the original attack does). I don't believe it does, but if anyone knows otherwise I will adjust the math.
-The random +1.8 on the Riposte Strike crit math is from Acrobat's Trick (2*0.9).
-For clarity, the attack sequence is Riposte Strike (crit > Free MBA) [ hit > Riposte Interrupt/OA (crit > Free MBA)].

Lvl 12 Human Thief Daggermaster 22 Dex 18 Str

Feats- Cunning Stalker, Mark of Finding, Light Blade Exp, Nimble Blade, Backstabber, Silvery Glow, TW Fighting, TW Opening, Lasting Frost
Items- Bloodiron Dagger +3, Shard of Merciless Cold(Paragon), Frost Shortsword +2, Shard of Merciless Cold(Heroic), Gloves of Ice, Iron Armbands of Power(Heroic), Frozen Whetstones(Heroic)

Two Weapon Opening MBA
+23 Attack (6 Lvl, 6 Dex, 3 Prof, 2 Enh, 2 Feat, 2 CA, 1 NB, 1 WT) 90% Accuracy
d6+27 (6 Dex, 2 Enh, 3 Ft, 2 Itm, 3 WF, 2 LBE, 1 SMC, 2 GI, 1 TWF, 5 LF) 28-33 [30.5] | 35-45 [40] Crit
0.85*30.5 + 0.05*40 = 25.925 + 2 = 27.925

Riposte Strike
+24 Attack (6 Lvl, 6 Dex, 3 Prof, 3 Enh, 2 Feat, 2 CA, 1 NB, 1 WT) 95% Accuracy
d4+3d8+32 (6 Dex, 3 Enh, 3 Ft, 2 Itm, 3 WF, 2 LBE, 3 SMC, 2 GI, 2 FW, 1 TWF, 5 LF) 36-60 [48] | 66-120 [93] Crit
0.8*48 + 0.15*(93 + 27.925 + 1.8) = 38.4 + 18.409 = 56.809

Riposte Interrupt
+22 Attack (6 Lvl, 4 Str, 3 Prof, 3 Enh, 2 Feat, 2 CA, 1 NB, 1 WT) 85% Accuracy
d4+3d8+30 (4 Str, 3 Enh, 3 Ft, 2 Itm, 3 WF, 2 LBE, 3 SMC, 2 GI, 2 FW, 1 TWF, 5 LF) 34-58 [46] | 64-118 [91] Crit
0.7*46 + 0.15*(91 + 27.925) = 32.2 + 17.389 = 50.039*0.95 = 47.537

OA MBA
+24 Attack (6 Lvl, 6 Dex, 3 Prof, 3 Enh, 2 Feat, 2 CA, 1 NB, 1 WT) 95% Accuracy
d4+3d8+27 (6 Dex, 3 Enh, 3 Ft, 2 Itm, 3 WF, 2 LBE, 3 SMC, 2 GI, 2 FW, 1 TWF) 31-55 [43] | 61-115 [88] Crit
0.9*48 + 0.05*(93 + 27.925) = 43.2 + 6.046 = 49.246*0.95 = 46.784

DPR 103.593(OA) / 104.346(Riposte)

Edits: removed Pack Outcast, swapped out Vigilante Justice for Cunning Stalker. Normalized Lasting Frost on first attack.
Hi all,

I’ve created a level 16 version of Arrow for the new king of DPR at that level.  I just love archers and want to show that they can compete with their melee cousins.  The build concept is very similar to the level 12 version, however changing the paragon path is essential for the level 16 feature of Morninglord.

Features:

• Radiant Hunter adds Radiant damage for Morninglord feature

• 32 Frozen Whetstones adds Cold damage

• Combat advantage and Cold vulnerability through frost cheese

• Ring of Radiant Storm allows re-rolls on all damage rolls

116.4 DPR – Arrow (level 16) – [1, 6, 8]

Attack and Damage

Show

Twin Strike
+28 to hit  vs 30 AC
    +8 Level
    +7 Dex
    +3 Prof
    +4 Enhance
    +2 Expertise
    +2 Prime Shot
    +2 CA

+55.5 Damage 

•     +6.5 Superior Xbox (+1 ring of the radiant storm)

•     +4 Enhancement

•     +5 Lasting Frost

•     +10 Morninglord feature

•     +3 Pelor’s Sun Blessing
        +4 Bracers of Archery

•     +3 Steady Shooter

•     +3 Syberys Shard of Radiance

•     +2 Gloves of Ice

•     +2 Frozen Whetstone

•     +2 Prime Shot Weapon

•     +4 Battle Fury Stance

•     +5 Called Shot

•     +2 Set bonus (Gifts for the Queen)

90% Chance to hit for 55.5 damage
5% Chance to crit for 72.5 damage
5% Chance to miss

Chance for 1 hit: 89.3%
Chance for 1 crit: 9.8%

DPR per Attack (0.9*57.5+0.05*74.5) = 53.6 DPR (x2)
DPR from Quarry (0.893*9+0.098*12) = 9.2 DPR

Total DPR = 116.4

Arrow level 16 Character Build:

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Arrow, level 16

Human, Ranger/Fighter, Morninglord

Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex

Hybrid Talent Option: Ranger Combat Talent

Ranger Combat Talent Option: Prime Shot (Hybrid)

Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 11, CON 15, DEX 24, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 10, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 25 Fort: 22 Ref: 27 Will: 22

HP: 103 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +20, Athletics +13, Nature +16, Perception +16, Stealth +20, Thievery +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +10, Heal +11, History +8, Insight +11, Intimidate +7, Religion +8, Streetwise +7

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort

Hunter's Quarry  Power: Hunter's Quarry

Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge

Paladin Utility: Shroud of Shadow

Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike

Fighter Utility 2: Battle Fury Stance

Morninglord Attack 11: Pure Glow

Morninglord Utility 12: Rising Sun

FEATS

Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)

Level 2: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)  retrained to Pervasive Light

Level 4: Wintertouched

Level 6: Crossbow Expertise

Level 8: Walker of the Dark Path

Level 10: Hybrid Talent

Level 11: Lasting Frost

Level 11: Steady Shooter

Level 12: Called Shot

Level 14: Radiant Hunter

Level 16: Prime Quarry

ITEMS

Prime Shot Superior crossbow +4 x1

Bracers of Archery (paragon tier) x1

Ring of the Radiant Storm x1

Crown of the Brilliant Sun x1

Siberys Shard of Radiance (paragon tier)

Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3)

Gloves of Ice (paragon tier)

Frozen Whetstone (heroic tier) (32)

====== End ======

Edits:

1. Illeist made a good point below.  I swapped out Weapon Focus for Pervasive Light to ensure each attack gains the benefit of the radiant vulnerability.  I'm not clear on the keyword/damage type rules so this way there should be no question that the damage works.

2. Fixed the quarry 2d6 average damage roll from 7 to 9 since it can be re-rolled if desired as it's part of the radiant attack.

Was looking over the build (trying to see what I need to aim for the lvl 16 slot) when I noticied a few things regarding the item build. I was under the impression that the generally accepted rule used the method for creating a new character at higher than lvl 1 and then liquidating those items for the gp value to purchase your DPR gear. For lvl 16, that'd come to 160k gp. This setup has two 17s, one 16, two 14s, and an 11 for a total gp value 216k. There is also a boon, which is usually under DM purview only.

I tried looking for a gear rule, but there are a ton of posts to sift through. I thought I recalled there being a spot on the front page, but I didn't see it. I also noticied the key legend is missing from the front page as well. Anyway, just trying to find out what the accepted DPR King method is (whether the Arrow needs to trim back a little or if this opens up gear options).

Dumb question: why do the rogue builds assume that the riposte strike will trigger?  I suppose in a 1:1 fight monster has to attack?  thanks!
Dumb question: why do the rogue builds assume that the riposte strike will trigger?  I suppose in a 1:1 fight monster has to attack?  thanks!

So when after a being hit by Riposte, the baddie has a couple of options:
1) Attack the rogue - draw the interrupt.
2) Move away(not shift) - draw an OA
3) Attack rogue/ally with ranged attack - draw OA
4) Attack ally in melee - no reprisal
5) Shift away and then do whatever - no reprisal

Vigilante Justice allows the interrupt to trigger if baddie does 4. Mark of Finding allows the rogue to follow should the bad shift away, at which point all of its new choices (options 1-4) will still draw some kind of attack. This is how the riposte builds can always assume the second attack.

You could probably get away without Vigilante Justice with a kind of anti-CA assumption by planning with your party to never get in melee range of your target. A number of prime shot style builds already make a similiar assumption.
Vigilante Justice doesn't trigger if the ally isn't adjacent (for example, you're flanking the monster). Mark of Finding doesn't help if the monster teleports, shifts several squares, or is a decent percentage of skirmishers.

That said, it's at least as likely as being able to charge every round or a (non-class feature) mount actually living consistently through an adventure, so it's probably more than reasonable to count it  
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Mark of Finding does, in fact, allow you to follow if they shift multiple squares. Each time the enemy shifts, it grants a free action to shift into the square they left. This means the only time it doesn't help is if they teleport. And since you generate your own CA you have no need to flank. I'm sure convincing your allies that if they must be near the same baddie, standing next to you is a /really/ good idea. Although, to be perfectly fair, your allies will quicly learn to let you lockdown an enemy all alone, since most of those riposte builds are almost able to one-shot equal level bads with just at-wills.
not the math wiz like you all, but i am playing around with a new build.

Bugbear hybrid: Barbarian/Rogue(Brutal Scoundrel); Dagger Master; Eternal Defender
theme: samurai, background: auspicious birth 

20 Str, 14 Dex.  At-Wills, Howling Strike, and Riposte Strike, keeping at least 2 rages along the way, and after that mostly high level damage attacks rogue only to pull my highest chance at using crits.

really need some numbers of comparisons and thoughts on the idea   

Was looking over the build (trying to see what I need to aim for the lvl 16 slot) when I noticied a few things regarding the item build. I was under the impression that the generally accepted rule used the method for creating a new character at higher than lvl 1 and then liquidating those items for the gp value to purchase your DPR gear. For lvl 16, that'd come to 160k gp. This setup has two 17s, one 16, two 14s, and an 11 for a total gp value 216k. There is also a boon, which is usually under DM purview only.

I tried looking for a gear rule, but there are a ton of posts to sift through. I thought I recalled there being a spot on the front page, but I didn't see it. I also noticied the key legend is missing from the front page as well. Anyway, just trying to find out what the accepted DPR King method is (whether the Arrow needs to trim back a little or if this opens up gear options).

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll rework the Arrow build with the 160,000g limit and add in a theme.  I think the net difference will be a small gain in DPR. =)
I've altered the level 16 version of Arrow and his DPR has a significant boost.  I adjusted his equipment to fit within the 160,000g budget of a newly generated level 16 character, added a theme and changed the hybrid class.

New level 16 DPR = 141.0 DPR Laughing

See the link below for the details:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Also Borg, if you could, please update my name to the correct (miss)spelling of Annihilation for the level 16 post, thanks!  I'll be working on level 24 and possibly 30 variations at some point in the future although it's extremely difficult to compete with the melee crew as there is no easy access to an at-will 3rd attack for ranged characters.
I've altered the level 16 version of Arrow and his DPR has a significant boost.  I adjusted his equipment to fit within the 160,000g budget of a newly generated level 16 character, added a theme and changed the hybrid class.

New level 16 DPR = 141.0 DPR

See the link below for the details:

Also Borg, if you could, please update my name to the correct (miss)spelling of Annihilation for the level 16 post, thanks!  I'll be working on level 24 and possibly 30 variations at some point in the future although it's extremely difficult to compete with the melee crew as there is no easy access to an at-will 3rd attack for ranged characters.

I like Fey Beast Tamer, but it can also be frustrating because there are a lot of feats where you don't want it near your target. Sly Hunter, Bow Expertise, yet I see you still factoring the damage from the FBC. On rangers, I find myself more often setting up CA for allies or using the FBC to try to hold up other opponents with OAs. Also, Weapon Focus is no longer in your feat list but you still have the damage calculated.

Do you calculate any possible damage bonuses even if they don't stack? (I've not even thought of submitting for DPR Kings so maybe I don't know something about this).
dang it, that's another great point.  I'll need to revisit those feats.

As for the bonuses, most of them are untyped and I believe they all stack, I only have 1 bonus for several typed (feat, power, item, enhancement) as I know they do not stack.
dang it, that's another great point.  I'll need to revisit those feats.

Bow Expertise should stay. There's not really a better feat to take (Master at Arms if you have more than one bow you want to use, I suppose) and you'll still welcome the extra damage if/when your Owlbear bites it. The aura gives better or equal damage up to Epic, but Sly Hunter is harder to make up for. +3 damage is hard to find in a feat. At the very least, I'd switch Sly Hunter for Weapon Focus to make up 2 of the damage you lose.
Sorry, but there is actually a few extra things you might want to revise/clear up on the Archer:

-I was confused when I didn't see Gloves of Ice on your gear list. I see you had it on the dmg calc, so I think you just forgot it.
-What are the feats Initiate of Faith, Radiant Hunter, and Pervasive Light doing for the build? Painful Oath is already adding radiant keyword (plus dmg) and all your damage automatically is radiant, so Radiant Hunter and Pervasive Light do nothing.
-In the same vein, I saw you added Weapon Focus(Bow) to your dmg calc, but its not on your feat list. For that matter, neither is Lethal Hunter. I went ahead and subbed those two in when I crunched some numbers.
-You are double dipping on vulnerability bonuses on your Quarry and Painful Oath bonus damage. Sorry, but that doesn't work since they are bonus dmg and not their own self contained instance of dmg.
-As was already noted, your fey pet and several features do not interact. Bow Expertise and Sly Hunter require absolutely no creature be adjacent to your target for their dmg bonuses. Prime Shot, Prime Shot Weapon, and Called Shot can function with the pet, bet that would require the archer to be adjacent and draw some OAs. For simplicity, I dropped the fey beast for the numbers below.
-Avenging Resolution does not add a flat +1 to the average dmg. The real average is only 6.75 (add all possible rolls and divide by 12 to double check).

So I ended up with +24 to attack with d12+46 for an average of 52.75 at a .7 hit rate. You will crit .05 of the time for 66+4d6, or an average of 80. All told, each attack will average 40.925 dmg, doubled for 81.85.
Now, for quarry and Painful Oath, the best way to calc their contribution (since they both trigger on your first hit, we will count them together) is to take your total chance of hitting per turn and critting per turn along with the average damage bonus. So, you will hit at least once 84% of the time and crit once 9.75%(quarry specifically states when you use a power that let's you make multiple attacks, you can chose which it applies to. Always chose the one that crits, if any), doing 13 extra damage on a hit and 20 on a crit. This means you add an extra 12.87 from them a turn. Altogether, this nets you 94.72 DPR.

(Sorry for the formatted, posted from mobile.)
Sorry, but there is actually a few extra things you might want to revise/clear up on the Archer:

-I was confused when I didn't see Gloves of Ice on your gear list. I see you had it on the dmg calc, so I think you just forgot it.
-What are the feats Initiate of Faith, Radiant Hunter, and Pervasive Light doing for the build? Painful Oath is already adding radiant keyword (plus dmg) and all your damage automatically is radiant, so Radiant Hunter and Pervasive Light do nothing.
-In the same vein, I saw you added Weapon Focus(Bow) to your dmg calc, but its not on your feat list. For that matter, neither is Lethal Hunter. I went ahead and subbed those two in when I crunched some numbers.
-You are double dipping on vulnerability bonuses on your Quarry and Painful Oath bonus damage. Sorry, but that doesn't work since they are bonus dmg and not their own self contained instance of dmg.
-As was already noted, your fey pet and several features do not interact. Bow Expertise and Sly Hunter require absolutely no creature be adjacent to your target for their dmg bonuses. Prime Shot, Prime Shot Weapon, and Called Shot can function with the pet, bet that would require the archer to be adjacent and draw some OAs. For simplicity, I dropped the fey beast for the numbers below.
-Avenging Resolution does not add a flat +1 to the average dmg. The real average is only 6.75 (add all possible rolls and divide by 12 to double check).

So I ended up with +24 to attack with d12+46 for an average of 52.75 at a .7 hit rate. You will crit .05 of the time for 66+4d6, or an average of 80. All told, each attack will average 40.925 dmg, doubled for 81.85.
Now, for quarry and Painful Oath, the best way to calc their contribution (since they both trigger on your first hit, we will count them together) is to take your total chance of hitting per turn and critting per turn along with the average damage bonus. So, you will hit at least once 84% of the time and crit once 9.75%(quarry specifically states when you use a power that let's you make multiple attacks, you can chose which it applies to. Always chose the one that crits, if any), doing 13 extra damage on a hit and 20 on a crit. This means you add an extra 12.87 from them a turn. Altogether, this nets you 94.72 DPR.

(Sorry for the formatted, posted from mobile.)

Great points,

I'll make sure the Gloves get added to the inventory.  I made sure they fit in the budget and must have forgot to include them.

If what you say is true about the Radiant damage those feats open up a lot of oppertunity for other things! I don't think I'll add Weapon Focus or Lethal Hunter, there are other more damaging feats available.

I didn't know that all sources of extra damage were treated together.  I'll make the adjustments.

Unfortunately Fey Beast Tamer won't work with this build so I'll need to use one of the feats on Wintertouched to maintain combat advantage.

Good point about Avenging Resolution, it's not the same as brutal 3 so it likely won't be worth it to keep either.

I'm sure the build will remain above 120DPR, but I'm trying to get it over 130.  The main trouble I'm having is selecting a worthwhile Theme.  There don't seem to be any at-will ranged-DPR friendly Themes about. =(

I've updated Arrow and the DPR is still respectable at 130 DPR.

If anyone can spot any more wrong assumptions please let me know.

New build:

I don't have the builder in front of me, but two things I noticied right off the top:
-Painful Oath does extra damage to your first hit (just like quarry). Extra damage is lumped in with all your other damage bonuses for the same attack. If it did x amount of damage (and not extra damage), then it would count as its own damage instance and trigger vulnerability and the boon. But since it is extra damage, the most it will ever do is you Wis mod (+4).
-How are you getting Battle Fury Stance? That is an unleveled utility. Power swap feats require the utility swapped in to have a level. The only way to get around this is PMC, since it allows you to pick an at-will power without ever referencing level.
I don't have the builder in front of me, but two things I noticied right off the top:
-Painful Oath does extra damage to your first hit (just like quarry). Extra damage is lumped in with all your other damage bonuses for the same attack. If it did x amount of damage (and not extra damage), then it would count as its own damage instance and trigger vulnerability and the boon. But since it is extra damage, the most it will ever do is you Wis mod (+4).
-How are you getting Battle Fury Stance? That is an unleveled utility. Power swap feats require the utility swapped in to have a level. The only way to get around this is PMC, since it allows you to pick an at-will power without ever referencing level.

I'm pretty sure extra damage is a separate damage calculation (although I agreed that all extra damages combine).  If others agree that it's combined in terms of vulnerabilities, I'll adjust it.

Battle Fury Stance is a level 2 fighter utility power.  All of the selections i made are with the online character builder and should be 100% legal.

I'm pretty sure extra damage is a separate damage calculation

No, absolutely not.
I am of the opinion that extra damage is a part of the original damage roll and thus does not trigger vulnerabilities.  No sane DM would allow it as such and I request that it be recalculated as such.
For some reason I can't seem to edit my first post.  Perhaps I need to migrate some more of my updates to my second post.  If only I could edit it.Yell 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
I am of the opinion that extra damage is a part of the original damage roll and thus does not trigger vulnerabilities.  No sane DM would allow it as such and I request that it be recalculated as such.
For some reason I can't seem to edit my first post.  Perhaps I need to migrate some more of my updates to my second post.  If only I could edit it. 

Ok, that's good enough for me.  I'll make the changes and see if there is a better option.
I was thinking that was one of the slayer stances. I will have to look at it. A free +4 dmg on a hit for fighter MC and a feat isn't the worst use of resources if you already have everything else.
I was thinking that was one of the slayer stances. I will have to look at it. A free +4 dmg on a hit for fighter MC and a feat isn't the worst use of resources if you already have everything else.

+2/tier on damage rolls of all weapon attacks, but at the cost of your stance and droping DPR when you spend your first healing surge of the encounter.  For ranged it makes sense, but melee characters typically take it for theoretical damage only.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
I've actually used it heavily in real games.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Yeah, my fighter's used it a ton as the 2nd defender in a party with a taclord. The biggest problem is actually the minor action cost.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Is there a reason I don't see callidyrr dragoon used more in these?  It gives you a free bastard sword or fullblade at lv1. Builds like the 1st lv Warlock|Executioner seem like they could use it.
Is there a reason I don't see callidyrr dragoon used more in these?  It gives you a free bastard sword or fullblade at lv1. Builds like the 1st lv Warlock|Executioner seem like they could use it.

Unfortunately it does not, or at least, it's worded poorly. I believe this was the article that said "martial weapon." It should have said military weapon, but I also think it has not been corrected. If they ever clarify what they mean by 'martial' then perhaps we will see it.

By RAW, right now, it gives nothing, as there are NO 'martial melee' weapons.
hm.. I didn't catch that, yeah the wording is "martial melee weapon", if that should be "military melee weapon" then that's pritty worthless.
hm.. I didn't catch that, yeah the wording is "martial melee weapon", if that should be "military melee weapon" then that's pritty worthless.

Not completely. There are classes that don't have proficiency in all military weapons right off the bat. However, there is a background that gives proficiency in one of your choice and +1 initiative, and I see that being taken in that case far more often than this theme.
how about fey beast taimer owlbear? Charging into ca every turn doesn't seem harder then getting the enemy in the owlbear aura.
how about fey beast taimer owlbear? Charging into ca every turn doesn't seem harder then getting the enemy in the owlbear aura.

It's useful in Heroic, but later on it can hinder a strong build or force things to change in ways you might not want to (see the posts about Arrow above). It's a fun theme, though, and outside of DPR opping it still has some cool uses. I used it to 'defend' against some minons that coming in from the outside of an area. Even if you're not using it for CA and +2 damage the beast still have their uses.
Okay, here's the new DPR King of Level 24, for comments and approval:

Start at or below 0 hit points. [Using soulfang to assure this]

From Superior Will, make save vs. daze with +9.  [background+2, focused mind +4, horreb cube +2, theme +1]

To Hit:  +34 v. Ref  (vs 36) = 95% chance to hit; 10% chance of crit.

Avg Regular Damage 54  Avg Crit Damage: 76

Standard: Miss with Avalanche of Fury (+22 - 98% chance).  Triggers Star Favored Champion feature, letting me basic attack as a minor.  Avalanche of Fury is both reliable and comes back if you miss the second attack roll.

Move: Divine Bolts

Minor: Divine Bolts

Move (Ghostly Vitality): Divine Bolts

Minor (Ghostly Vitality): Divine Bolts

Minor (Death’s Quickening): Divine Bolts

10 attacks X 52.4 damage = 524 damage per round (262 single target)

The Chiller

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

The Chiller, level 24

Revenant, Invoker/Ranger, Crimson Hunter, Star-Favored Champion

Hybrid Talent Option: Ranger Combat Talent

Ranger Combat Talent Option: Prime Shot (Hybrid)

Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude

Covenant Manifestation Option: Manifestation of Wrath

Hybrid Invoker Option: Hybrid Invoker Will

Choose your Race in Life: Half-Elf

Background Benefit: Scorned Noble

Theme: Chevalier

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STR 10, CON 18, DEX 24, INT 13, WIS 24, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

STR 8, CON 14, DEX 15, INT 11, WIS 17, CHA 10

AC: 30 Fort: 31 Ref: 38 Will: 39

HP: 121 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 30

TRAINED SKILLS

Acrobatics +27, Endurance +23, Nature +25, Perception +25, Stealth +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS

Arcana +13, Athletics +14, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +19, Heal +19, History +13, Insight +19, Intimidate +18, Religion +13, Streetwise +14, Thievery +19

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Chevalier Attack: Valiant Charge

Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping

Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry

Seeker Feature: Inevitable Shot

Star-Favored Champion Feature: Sign of Challenge

Invoker Attack 1: Divine Bolts

Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike

Ranger Attack 1: Fox's Cunning

Invoker Attack 1: Silent Malediction

Seeker Attack 1: Elemental Spirits

Ranger Utility 2: Crucial Advice

Invoker Utility 6: Demand Justice

Ranger Utility 10: Prime Shift

Crimson Hunter Attack 11: Ravaging Shot

Crimson Hunter Utility 12: Hunter's Mobility

Invoker Attack 13: Seal of the Heretic

Ranger Attack 15: Blade Cascade

Ranger Utility 16: Curving Shot

Ranger Attack 19: Threefold Assault

Crimson Hunter Attack 20: Bloody Despair

Ranger Utility 22: Master of the Hunt

Ranger Attack 23: Avalanche of Fury

FEATS

Level 1: Staff Fighting

Level 2: Hybrid Talent

Level 4: Staff Expertise

Level 6: Superior Will

Level 8: Primal Sharpshooter

Level 10: Wintertouched

Level 11: Lasting Frost

Level 12: Called Shot

Level 14: Primal Eye

Level 16: Death's Quickening

Level 18: Superior Reflexes

Level 20: Power of Skill

Level 21: Ghostly Vitality

Level 22: Focused Mind

ITEMS

Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (paragon tier) x1

Dice of Auspicious Fortune

Stone of Wind

Horreb Ritual Cube

Adventurer's Kit

Rovikar's Dagger +2

Bracers of the Perfect Shot (epic tier) x1

Eagle Eye Goggles (epic tier) x1

Frost Quarterstaff +5 x1

Gloves of Ice (epic tier) x1

Amulet of Double Fortune +5 x1

Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier)

Any Soulfang
====== End ======

I think at 30 this also more or less works with Mark of Storm and Lightning Fury as per Blender Mark 2, just with a lot more attacks, so you end up somewhere in the 2500 damage range.
How are you getting 10 attacks?  Or are you counting two targets instead of one?
You can't really cancel the fail out with the crit. You need to actually model the expected DPR for each outcome by the odds it will occur. Just like how we model expected damage/odds for a single attack. Also, while a very low chance (0.05^3 = 0.000125), there is the possibility for failing 3 death saves and just being dead. And since dead zeroes out all further DPR, this statistically sets your DPR to 0.
You can't really cancel the fail out with the crit. You need to actually model the expected DPR for each outcome by the odds it will occur. Just like how we model expected damage/odds for a single attack. Also, while a very low chance (0.05^3 = 0.000125), there is the possibility for failing 3 death saves and just being dead. And since dead zeroes out all further DPR, this statistically sets your DPR to 0.

You cannot use the Amulet of Double Fortune to increase the chance of you being able to make your death save
"When you score a critical hit, you make a saving throw against one effect that a save can end." 
A death save is not a saving throw that ends an effect.  See the Ghost with the most thread on this.
Thus you have a 5% chance each round of dying.  This is unacceptable.  After 20 rounds the chances of you being dead is 64%.  Please swap the amulet for something that gives you at least +9 to DST.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
For achieving the goal of consistently missing with encounter powers, couldn't you get some cheap items that have encounter attack powers and just miss with those.  Even better if they have an effect on a miss.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
Sign In to post comments