Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for December, 2011

107 posts / 0 new
Last post
Awesome! I'm curious as to the reasoning it'll be a large set, but I'm not complaining! More cards = more fun!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Ugh! I hate when we do t get a third set.... It feels so incomplete.

And dark ascension mythics will be crazy expensive due to being under opened.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Knew we were getting this today, and I am happy.

We have some kind of happy ending. and also, another large 3rd set. They did great last time so I don't see this go around being different.

Yea, Innistrad is such a sweet set.
Probably the worst name for a set ever hit Magic.
It sounds horrible for me.

Still, I'm somewhat excited it will be a big set rather than small one. I hope it's still gonna have graveyard mechanics.
I'm wondering if they aren't moving towards making this a permanent change. Given that this is the second time in 3 years we've gotten a large set in the third slot.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but from a flavor standpoint, set size doesn't matter. (If anything, New Phyrexia deserved to be a big set) Since we're doing big again, I expect we'll hear from Mark about how they're considering doing more large sets like this in the future.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

I'm distinctly unsurprised by the discovery that Avacyn is back to clean house in set 3 of the block, as it seemed like the obvious sequel to "Dark Ascension" being only set 2.  Classic horror movie (of the premodern era) formula - it starts bad, then it gets worse, then a lame DXM and an even lamer moral lesson at the end so that people who are addicted to happy endings (only recently outnumbered by those with a preference for edgy baddonkeyness and gritty realism).  I do think however that announcing this a month before the first non-art previews of DA was a silly thing to do; we now know how the story of that set ends before it even starts!  After how hard they worked to keep NPH under their hat all through MBS, why on earth didn't they do it again?

Meanwhile, I'm extremely annoyed to learn this is a large set, not because I don't want more cards in Innistrad (or even because I don't want more DFCs - I very much do and am hoping that's one theme that will carry over between the blocks, otherwise this will be a repeat of the Allies in Zendikar and will be missed much more by those who enjoyed it, though I know many others would celebrate), but simply because if they were willing to pull the "ROE maneuver" a second time, New Phyrexia needed this SO much worse than Innistrad possibly could.  While Avacyn Restored (which, by the way, Alara Reborn is unhappy with those initials, you could have used "Return of Avacyn" or something for better distinction) might be cool and all, it seems hard to credit that it's going to quite measure up to the scope of NPH, which was originally intended to be an entire block, and has mountains upon mountains of unused creative which, even now, I can't tell you guys about because of the stupid NDA, and it badly needs to be discussed.

IMO this will go down in history as a blunder on the scale of the cards in Conflux which were clearly abruptly cut from the design file when the set size was reduced, and whose absence utterly crippled most of the more relevant design archetypes of SOA (the ur-example is Salvage Slasher, which would have single-handedly made an Esper-Grixis crossover deck work when they are the only two shards in SOA with absolutely no mechanical connection whatsoever; look around the Conflux set a little more and you'll easily find 49 more cards which could have gone in SOA if it hadn't been gutted for economic reasons).  Bigger than Onslaught being a tribal set full of goblins and elves, set in the same world as the previous block, which had been the first set in most of a decade NOT to have goblins and elves.  Bigger even than Mercadian Masques block having three completely different settings which somehow all contained Rebels and Mercenaries despite neither of those types having ever been used on the two non-Mercadia settings involved.  To me, this is clearly a GIGANTIC goof, and emblematic of the imperfections riddling Wizards' working processes, which I would never stand for if I owned the company, instead of the clowns at Hasbro who clearly don't care about anything other than lining their wallets.

(And yes I know I just put the final nail in the coffin of my ever getting any more freelance work with the creative team.  But that ship gave every evidence of having sailed long ago, and I have far too many metaphors left to mix for it to be any skin off my back.  If Wizards doesn't want to produce the best product they possibly can whatever the cost, that's their loss.)

Wow, the artwork on that playmat...
I would ascend into her darkness, if you know what I mean.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Not to nitpick too much, but wasn't that awkward Heroic Defiance mechanic also on a cycle of creatures (the Djinni) in Invasion?  I know I first-picked many a Zanam Djinn in Invasion drafts, and caught people off-guard with some on-the-fly color juggling...
We have some kind of happy ending.

Classic horror movie (of the premodern era) formula - it starts bad, then it gets worse, then a lame DXM and an even lamer moral lesson at the end so that people who are addicted to happy endings (only recently outnumbered by those with a preference for edgy baddonkeyness and gritty realism).

Not so sure about the ending being an entirely happy one. Look at the picture. The townsfolk are frightened, and Avacyn doesn't look quite as benevolent as in the stained-glass window.
Willpell is a funny character. It's just fun to read his ranting and raving and pessimistic nastiness towards whatever the problem he has with MtG this week. Despite this, MtG gets more and more popular :P.
Monty, you screwed up, the art for Avacyn is NOT a michael piece, it's clearly Jason Chan.
Monty, you screwed up, the art for Avacyn is NOT a michael piece, it's clearly Jason Chan.

For those who can't see it, this is Jason's signature, located on the bottom right corner of the Avacyn art.

Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Monty isn't the only one who screwed up. So did Jason Chan: I mean, look at Avacyn's face! Her Eyes look like she's been in a fist fight (not only because there are dark circles around them, but mostly because they are actual circles). And her nose must be the most ugly hammer nose I've ever seen. I'm dearly disappointed.
Ha! I knew it would be nicknamed roll.
I don't think anybody noticed that the Top 8 of PT Barcelona is going to be block, not draft. Just saying. It's a change that I fully support.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

We have some kind of happy ending.

Not so sure about the ending being an entirely happy one. Look at the picture. The townsfolk are frightened, and Avacyn doesn't look quite as benevolent as in the stained-glass window.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I mean, okay, on the one hand it'd be nice to see some MtG angels that are good but yet are awe-inspiring to the point of fear-inspiring. (Like Biblical angels: they virtually always start their message from God with "Do not fear", a great demonstration of their fearsomeness yet benevolence.)

But on the other hand, that image looks distinctly like a somewhat fallen or at least dark-influenced angel to me. I reckon Avacyn may be back, but she's going to be seriously the worse for wear. Perhaps we're in for a mini-Kamigawa where the mortals unite against the terror of their returned god(desse)s.

(On the other hand, that was the plot of Rise of the Eldrazi as well, so maybe it's getting a bit overdone by now? But would the MtG creative team let that stop them? Hmm...)

Who on earth decided to put the phrase "budget friendly" in the Glissa Standard Commander deck?  It's full of mythics and expensive rares.
I'm pretty sure that Avacyn is changed for bad, at least from what I can see in that image.. For exemple, isnt the Endless Ranks of the Dead artwork representing Avacyn in that stained glass? If so, she had those light colored clothes and no "makeup", but that angel in the annoucement image is clearly darker, with black clothes and a lot of black "makeup". Yet, its probably Avacyn as she has the same hair and weapon.

Also, how can I put the card hiperlink in the post?
Announcing Avecyn Restored.

Spoiler alert.

Doing another RoE ALREADY!?!?! Come on it's only been 2 years, and now we face another problem of the sweet cards from the second set being 50% underdrafted (which was obviously so problem free with regard to Jace cost...).
another large set? %&$* you guys
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Well it could be that she's pure and all, just a bit grim, because the humans convert to the dark side in Dark Ascenscion.
That's why the townsfolk are scared. She's going to pass judgement.

Lackluster art either way.
Is it going to be such a bad thing that Avacyn Restored will be a large set?

The fact that it is a large set will, of course, mean that individual cards in the set will be harder to get. And, of course, new sets are designed so that they're of interest - the cards in them are useful for winning at Standard. So, yes, there is some reason for concern - but how much won't be known until much later, when we see what the actual cards are in the set.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Actually this really annoys me.  I buy my cards ahead of time to plan 8 man drafts at home and I thought this year was a normal year.  I now have to much of the beginning sets, since I thought i was going to use them in a full year draft
Now they just have to live up to the draft environment that was triple RoE
She looks pretty gothic to me. Don't see the problem.

Also, large sets are awesome and have basics that show the distinction between one set and the next. I wish they all were large. 
Another large stand alone set? So more basic lands? Or are we going to see a doublefaced card with a leveler on side 1 and and flip card on the back? But seriously I hope they have a little more synergy between this large set and the 2 before it. I think not having allies in Rise was wrong. They didn't have to have new ally abilities just throw the ally creature type on some of the creatures. Because its not like the ally creatures vanished.
That third set Avacyn Restored looks pretty dang Amazing!
First, we need to be sure that Avacyn was ever genuinely good in the first place...
Avacyn disappeared after fighting with perhaps the most powerfull demon in the plane, right?

My theory is that she was either corrupted by the demon as a curse when she defeated it, or that they somehow became the same being after the conflict (kinda like Phage + Akroma, but without all the Mirari crap). Still, it's rather clear that Avacyn is not a pure being. for the art alone. There's also the possibility that she was never a "good and mercifull" andgel to start with.

I also thought that she would be a Planeswalker, but the art size doesn't seem to indicate that, unless they crop it, which is unlikely. It's a bit of a sadenning factor, because if she were a PW, it'd make her disappearance much easier to explain, and would also be extremely nice. But this might not be the case now.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
First, we need to be sure that Avacyn was ever genuinely good in the first place...

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I mean, the Flavor Text on Nevermore does seem to suggest there might be a darker side to certain things.
The art in the annoucement doesn't have to be her art, look at the Liliana on the throne vs the actually planeswalker art used. Avacyn restored could mean many things perhaps she actually started as a demon and found the best way to get what she wanted was by being good. In which case the church is built on a lie. And her being restored means she reveals her true form to the people. possibly an Angel creature that transforms into a Demon Planswalker (which explain why she's been missing). In any case because they (Wizards) are continually saying how this block is about transformation so I expect a big reveal with the third set.
So, maybe I'm the only one, but I always had the idea that Emrakul and friends were so big, they NEEDED a large set or else they wouldn't fit! Maybe now the Zombie problem has gotten out of control and there are just too many to fit in a small set?

Anyway, what I'd really like to know is what's going to be in there. In ROE we got levelers and Eldrazi. I'm interested to see what mechanical reasons they have for making a large set.
I want my happy ending set!

We've had two "Bad-guys win" win sets in a row now (both of which were cool, by the way) so I want to see a happy ending.

I don't see what people find so threatening about the art on the page.  People have been praying to Avacyn for some time now, so naturally, when she returns there will be a renewal/resurgence of faith.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

You poor creatures. What makes you think the splash image at the bottom of the announcement is card art? Where did that image of Liliana sitting on a divan with her veil in here hands appear on a card? The same is true of Sorin wiping his blade for Dark Ascension's splash image, and for others. It's not intended to be an actual card image (although I don't dismiss the possibility). And oh my god, way to spoil the surprise about the question before the second set is released, WotC! You could have at least pulled a New Phyrexia and tried to hide it.

That all said, it should ne noted that other large last sets are not considered standalone. You guys are either new players, or have really short memories, but they have pushed for increased space in final sets before (Dissension, Alara Reborn) simply to develop a few more cards, many of them drawn from the card file as rejects from previous sets that didn't quite fit (Dissension ended up getting the wedge split cards and the Nephilim as a result, where the latter were intended for earlier release). You also seem to think this will be a RoE repeat, and that's just feeding into your recent experiences. There has been no announcement that this is a "two-block" Block, like Zendikar/Rise and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and that was raised when those blocks' second sets were released. You should have no worries about this, and consider the effect of a large end-block pool, just as TSP had to deal with it in the beginning.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Thank you so much, to whoever designs the wallpapers, for not putting a frame on this week's wallpaper like you have with all the Innistrad ones. I find the frames very distracting and much prefer to just have a high-resolution image of the art itself. (Though I have no problems with small logos like the one on this week's wallpaper.)

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I must be missing something, but I don't see how Heroic Defiance fit this week's Card of the Day theme. Unless the trick is that it's "Defying" the theme?

EDIT: I figured it out just after posting this... That theme is brilliant!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
I mean, the Flavor Text on Nevermore does seem to suggest there might be a darker side to certain things.

Thou shalt never judge a God from the words bequeathed by their priests.
I see no reason to assume this angel picture is Avacyn; given her godlike, plane-spanning power, she would probably manifest in a form that towers above the mountains on the horizon.  This is probably just a random angel.  (I'm sure I remember a similar bait-and-switch a while back, perhaps as long ago as Ravnica or thereabouts, but I can't figure out exactly what I'm thinking of, just some case when they were implying a Legend or planeswalker and it turned out to just be some random dude.)

Also, large sets are awesome and have basics that show the distinction between one set and the next. I wish they all were large. 

Mirrodin Besieged and New Phyrexia both had basics; in fact, since Dark Ascension isn't out, we don't yet know whether there will again be a small set without its own basics.  (Which, for the record, would be perfectly fine with me.)
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

Absolutely.  Only ... a new environment's introduction at the start if each block has a lot of required overhead.  So those should be like huge sets or something.  Yeah.  Two large sets and a huge set per year.  Makes sense.

In other news, can I once again express my admiration for the elegance of introducing Mythic rarity via a change that was "not really that rare" because "set sizes are smaller".You know, back when Mark's State of Design goal was to not mess with block structure anymore.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I see no reason to assume this angel picture is Avacyn;

Compare this Angel to the one pictured in Endless Ranks of the Dead, they appear to be the same.

Of course, there's nothing confirming either of them are Avacyn, but I see no reason to believe they're not. 
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
And oh my god, way to spoil the surprise about the question before the second set is released, WotC! You could have at least pulled a New Phyrexia and tried to hide it.

The name of the third set is always revealed before the second set is revealed. New Phrexia was very unusual and Wizards went to a lot of trouble to protect the secret, including paying to register two trademarks where they normally only register one.

That all said, it should ne noted that other large last sets are not considered standalone. You guys are either new players, or have really short memories, but they have pushed for increased space in final sets before (Dissension, Alara Reborn) simply to develop a few more cards, many of them drawn from the card file as rejects from previous sets that didn't quite fit (Dissension ended up getting the wedge split cards and the Nephilim as a result, where the latter were intended for earlier release). You also seem to think this will be a RoE repeat, and that's just feeding into your recent experiences. There has been no announcement that this is a "two-block" Block, like Zendikar/Rise and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and that was raised when those blocks' second sets were released. You should have no worries about this, and consider the effect of a large end-block pool, just as TSP had to deal with it in the beginning.

There was, however, a statement that this large set Avacyn Reloaded is intended for stand-alone draft and sealed, which pushes it much further towards the Rise of the Eldrazi end and away from the Dissension end. (Incidentally, the Nephilim were in Guildpact, not Dissension.)