(DM only) Important notes for Sessions 12, 13, & 14

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
You are correct, Sior. It only auto-recharges and breathes when FIRST bloodied. If it becomes bloodied again, it doesn't do it.

You COULD however specify that if it has the breath weapon recharged anyway, then it does the breath weapon in response to being bloodied. It just doesn't auto-recharge except on the first instance.

I want to say that the high hit points I suggested were to eliminate the record keeping of healing the monster. They have the same effect (the monster lasts longer) but there's less for the DM to do.

Cheers

Good points. Just adding additional hit points is a much easier option.

I've updated that stat block for Seldra and added a new one for the Plaguechanged White Dragon (with some additions based on Erik's suggestions).

ScottyMet, I just noticed that on the Dragon's triggered action for tail slap, you didn't include the trigger. I wrote it in on my copy, so it's OK. But I thought you might wish to know.

Darn it. That's the Monster Builder in Adventure Tools. I wrote them all in to start, and it dumped them when I saved. I added them back in, but I guess I forgot that one. Thanks.
I have some interesting players.

One player is giving up the chance to get a short rest so that he can tie up the dragon while the stone spell wears off. None of his stuff will recharge, but he remembers how nasty the dragon was last time and wants any kind of edge he can get at the start of the fight.

I'm thinking of having the ropes burnt off in a burst of blue fire at the start of combat but the dragon would end up prone in the process.

Any other thoughts on fun stuff to do with this? 
I have some interesting players.

One player is giving up the chance to get a short rest so that he can tie up the dragon while the stone spell wears off. None of his stuff will recharge, but he remembers how nasty the dragon was last time and wants any kind of edge he can get at the start of the fight.

I'm thinking of having the ropes burnt off in a burst of blue fire at the start of combat but the dragon would end up prone in the process.

Any other thoughts on fun stuff to do with this? 

Is the rest of the party willing to forego a short rest? If not, the module specifically mentions trying to tie up the dragon as causing the stone to flake away faster. So, you should make it plain to them that his actions are going to cause them to lose the chance to take a short rest unless they stop him.
- Rico
One quick question for Enc 14. If knocked prone, would you allow the dragon's rampage to still go off? I know of DM's who ran that way during the first fight and woyld like your thoughts on that.

Thank for the best Encounters season ever! Great, great story!
One quick question for Enc 14. If knocked prone, would you allow the dragon's rampage to still go off?

If I may piggyback on this question, what exactly does Seldra's mark do?
- Rico
One quick question for Enc 14. If knocked prone, would you allow the dragon's rampage to still go off?

If I may piggyback on this question, what exactly does Seldra's mark do?

I believe that it is just a Soldier's (NPC role) mark with no special effect except the -2 to attack someone else.
@Red: I would indeed allow the dragon to rampage while prone, though its movement in that situation is reduced as normal for crawling (as well as the usual penalties to attack and granting combat advantage for being prone). You might rule that the dragon clambers back to its feet as a result of the rampage, too, so that while it might be prone and crawling during the instinctive action, it stands up automatically at the end of it.

@Gimper: As A4F notes, Seldra's mark does nothing other than give the dragon a -2 penalty to attack someone other than her. Which is actually HUGE, considering its attack modifiers and the capacity to stack attack penalties on it. Note that if the dragon ends up in a defender aura, the aura supercedes the mark (at least while the dragon is there).

@ALL: Note that for verisimilitude (and the module doesn't explicitly say this) consider starting Seldra as bloodied when the encounter begins. After all, the PCs did just kick the stuffing out of her.

Also, in the name of foreseeing potential eventualities, if Seldra ever comes back into contact with the Crown in her weakened state, she can't handle the renewed surge of power and it automatically kills her (or plaguewarps her into a monstrous beast of some kind).

Also, if a PC is dominated by the crown, you might let that PC control his/her own character. I usually do this with dominate, and find that players are usually quite keen to attack their fellow party members.

Cheers

@ALL: Note that for verisimilitude (and the module doesn't explicitly say this) consider starting Seldra as bloodied when the encounter begins. After all, the PCs did just kick the stuffing out of her.

I was wondering about that. Makes sense to me.
- Rico
Yes, Eric, it's amazing how fast some players turn on the rest of the party given the opportunity! It's great fun, as a DM, to just sit back and watch the chaos unfold!