Silt Horror miniature

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is a picture of the Silt Horror that I have been working on for my Dark Sun campaign. I had posted this in the miniatures forums a while back, but I think it is probably more appropriate for this forum.

To answer Alphastream's questions from the other thread.

I don't really know how much time I have spent working on this. Clearly not enough as I haven't finished it, or touched it in over a month. The tentacles are done, but I've lost steam with working on the maw. I currently have about 20 or so open projects, so I bounce around a lot. Right now I'm working on my Quasi medieval redneck house (broken down front porch, wagon in the yard up on blocks, you get the idea). I think the tentacles probably take less than a 1/2 an hour to do the basic structure. Then after letting it dry overnight, I do 2-3 scales (15-20 minutes) then let the green stuff cure overnight. Doing more than that gets tricky, and I keep sticking my fingers in things that haven't yet dried and have to redo them. All together, I would say I've spent somewhere between an hour or two on each tentacles.

I do have some other Dark Sun stuff that I have been working on. I have several Dark Sun miniature conversions, the Mul with Cahulaks, probably being the best. A Belgoi, Silk Wyrm (scratch built), and other various Reaper minis painted to fit the Dark Sun theme. A silt skiff (in progress), a couple of buildings, a ton of table land terrain (rock formations)  and cacti.

I've also tried to do a mock up of a Braxat and a Mekilot. They are currently unfinished, I think that they would turn out okay, but I'm just not that good at casting, and the work involved would be more than I'm currently willing to do.

oh, and I almost forgot. My Athas of Ashes inspired chariot.
That is simply amazing.  Do you have any pictures of your other minis or any close up pics of this one? 
Wow.  That's incredible.  Please show more!
This is amazing.  I would love to play in your Dark Sun games.  Great work!
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Thanks guys.

Here are some closer up pictures of the tentacles. As you can see the soft fleshy part of the tentacles is just painted over pink foam, so it looks a bit rough closer up. I had thought about covering it up with a thin layer of green stuff, but decided against it because of the amount of work involved with doing that. I've been trying to come up with something that might make it look a little smoother without taking much time, but honestly, I got nothing.
Great tentacles   The plating/scales on the top is particularly effective.
It's very tentacly! /Buffy
Those look amazing!

A Silt Horror is one of my next projects I plan on tackling. This has made for some GREAT inspiration. Thanks for sharing. 
Your work looks fantastic.  Defintely keep your work posted for us to admire!! 
A little thread necro.

The She DM posted a very cool guide on how to use a rubber octopus toy to make individual tentacles miniatures. This could actually work really well for silt horror tentacles.

Note: There are spoilers to a future D&D Encounters session on that page.

She also has a post on the Encounters forums. Both include paper versions that can be downloaded and printed. That second thread has some other user ideas.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

wow! looks really good and cool!
I finished my version of the She DM's cool tentacles. I purchased the same octopus after a search for it on various online stores. I cut the tentacles as she described, using a wooden base (I happened to have a bunch of these 1" round wooden bases from the craft store).

Here is the unsuspecting initial toy:

Clicking on any of the pictures should lead to the full-sized image.

I used the hot glue gun as she described, but right after gluing I placed them in a small container and poured some small grit sand over them, pressing the sand down lightly into the glue. This meant the glue's surface was covered in the sand and hardened that way.

Picture of this stage, no paint yet:

Yes, that is a bit like a demotivational poster...

I thought about adding a washer to the underside of each wooden base, but they actually stand up ok. A key to this was cutting them so that the weight was pretty centered. Depending on the cuts you might need to add washers.

Once dry I gave each mini a wet base coat of a somewhat dark brown, applying it liberally where the glue met the base to try to fill in any gaps (the hot glue tends to apply in a roundish manner... I probably could have pressed the sand in harder to shape it a bit).

When that dried I gave it a few dry brush treatments with a sand/tan color and a more normal painting of the base. I was pretty happy with that. The color actually seemed to stick ok to the tentacle, but I imagine the rubbery nature would make it hard to paint the actual tentacle itself. They work fine in that pinkish color, I think.

My thanks to The She DM, as this would not have happened without her. I highly recommend her blog. She's a DM in my town and awesome on too many levels to count!

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Thats a really cool mini too!
Thanks, Chartauk. I thought it turned out well for $8 and some fun craft time!

I'll update if I get around to doing the base.

well I was inspired but seems like everywhere that had the Large Pacific Octopus toy was sold out   Soon as I find another that would work as well will get started on mine.
Thanks, Chartauk. I thought it turned out well for $8 and some fun craft time!

I'll update if I get around to doing the base.

let me know of any other projects you have.
Sure! I finally finished painting the last of my cacti.

Cacti:

Not the best lighting, sorry!

These are a combination of Pegasus plastic from one of the boxes (they sell two but one is plenty) and some metal ones from Megaminis.com. Both come unpainted and I added sand to the metal ones. I now have enough for just about any kind of cacti terrain!

Last night I visited the guys from the Going Last podcast (where we talked about the recent Dark Sun article). My real reason for visiting was to pick up some miniature painting tips from Ian. He and Justin are really good miniature painters. Ian has been kind enough to paint some of my old Ral Partha minis.

He helped me with a fire elemental I'm painting and helped me understand how he approached some of the Crodlu minis he has (I need to paint more for Ashes of Athas for next year's adventures ;) ). I'll update my galleries when I get more done.

I also am thinking about a silt skimmer project, but I suspect it will be more functional than actually pretty to the eye.

Some times... I just want to smack myself in the head. That is brilliant!! wish I had thought of that.

Thay look fantastic Alpha!

You might also consider using metal washers for the base. They add a little bit more weight than wood does.

Thanks! I actually bought some metal washers, but it ended up that for most I cut them such that they are pretty balanced. One of them can tip a bit, but they aren't bad. I'll play it by ear.

That said, I like yours better... just a good time saver the way The She DM did it.

No problem. If it works it works. Cacti look great as well. I have some cacti that I made from clay and then cast in resin, which was a bit of work and certainly not for everyone. I also discovered (while doing some acorn crafts with my wife and son) that you can take an acorn and hot glue it to a metal washer, paint it green, then dry brush it with some yellow, for highlights, it makes a fine cacti. Especially if you get some the gnarlier looking ones. So act now! before fall is over and the damn squirrels get 'em all!

I can't remember if I posted my table lands terrain in this forum or not? It's been a crazy few months and my memory is terrible. So if anyone is willing to slice and dice pink (or blue) insulation foam I can give you some advice on making some decent Radiator Springs....umm I mean Dark Sun terrain. I have shared custody of my Dark Sun terrain, two days a month it's mine, the rest of the month my four year old son uses it as part of his Cars play-set. On an interesting side note for anyone who plays any modern miniature games, the Cars die-cast cars are 1/55 scale, most D&D miniature are of the 25-28mm range and scale out at about 1/56. So, if you don't mind your cars staring at you, or smilin' at you, they work pretty good.

I actually got to use my Silt Horror a few weeks back. The PC's were crossing the silt via giant when the were attacked by a few tentacles. One of my players was absent while this was going down, when he came back to the table from the bathroom, and saw the newly placed Silt Horror tentacles. His word  were "Hey, it looks a bunch of cats turds just got shaken out of the sand box". I'm not vindictive or anything, it was merely coincidence that his character was nearly killed and eaten by a bunch of vicious cat turds. LOL
Yes, players should really know better than to insult our creations to make their game better! ;)

I would dig seeing the terrain. Some of the Band Of Misfits blog entries have had me thinking about how to do good elevations in a flexible manner. For example, I would love some way to make tiers very easily that still felt desert and felt flexible. On thought is to use the normal table level as low and then build up however I want with pieces that could somehow lock together. Another is to perhaps have some sort of support structure framework that would lock together plus a triangular (for slope) or straight (for flat) piece to edge it so you don't see the structure from the side, and then you place normal D&D tiles over that.

My default way has been to just use 1" wooden cubes to raise tiles, but then you have the edge where people can see empty space, plus it can be pretty unstable (especially if you go 10' or higher). I would love some modular way to do this.

And, I'm very interested in anything my kids could use. They like helping with crafts and would be all the more inclined if they could also play with the result!

I will try and check out that blog when I get a chance. Adding height to is always tricky. You want something that looks good but also functions well enough that your miniatures aren't always falling over and can be placed where ever they need to be. The Table Lands terrain is fairly adaptable and designed to be stacked on top of one another. They don't lock together but gravity usually works well enough if you don't stack to many together. We use a chessex mat underneath so the base looks vaguely sand-ish. I had been contemplating making some tall hoodoo's with magnets embedded in the base to keep the from falling over all the time, but still haven't gotten to that project.

Sand dunes would be far more difficult given the sloping nature of sand dunes. One thing that might work for dunes is to throw some foam under the mat, but even this limits the height you can make your terrain. As for using tiles, that is even tougher. The only thing I can think of would be to make square or rectangular dune sections that you could mix in with your tiles. We've found that if you have a grid surrounding a terrain feature that it is pretty easy to approximate the grid on that feature, as long as it isn't to big.

I will dig out my camera sometime this weekend and take some pictures and write up a quick how-to.
Sign In to post comments