23-Hour Contest -- Ride 'Em, Cowboys

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
There don't seem to be enough twenty-four hour contests at the moment, and there also seems to be a glut of topics attempting to solve the Mount Conundrum. It seems only natural to try to hit two birds with one stone here and contestify the idea (that's a word now). So, the goal here is to create one (1) mount and one (1) rider to go alongside it. A "Mount" keyword isn't necessary, but if you can make one that works, good on you.

I'm not big on rubrics, but here's roughly what I'll be looking for in no particular order:

• Grokability: Is your card's function intuitive? Does it feel like a mount/rider?

• Playability: Are your cards balanced? Do they seem fun?

• Innovation: Does your card's function go off the beaten path?

• Formatting: Do your cards have proper rules syntax?

• Flavourful: How delicious are your cards?

Contest starts now and lasts for twenty-three hours. Winner gets self respect. Everyone else gets free oxygen.
Ethereal Dragon
Creature- Dragon Uncommon
Flying

Mount (When another creature enters the battlefield under your control you may exile ~. If you do that creature gets +X/+X where X is this creature's power and gains all abilities of ~ that creature is considered "Mounted". If the creature Mounted by Ethereal Dragon leaves the battlefield return Ethereal Dragon to play under it's owners control. This creature can not be mounted.) 

2/3

Skeleton Rider
Creature- Skeleton RARE

If Skeleton Rider is Mounted it gains : Destroy target non-mounted creature. 

1/1 

I like the idea of using the Rider/Mount idea as the Champion ability was used but reverse it. This allows the creatures to only enter play mounted or not mounted. The only issue is if you run all Mounts and you MOUNT everything it leads to some serious issues which is why I added the This creature can not be mounted...which i know is a bit of an issue considering it's Mounted when another creature is on it but the rules wording would be Mounted only applies to the creature in play, not the exiled creature that is the mount. Although the wording does need work i think this is a really good idea for the Mount keyword.
Vengeful Herder -
Legendary Creature - Human
: Vengeful Herder fights target creature.
2/2

Herder's Stallion -
Legendary Creature - Horse
If you control a creature named Vengeful Herder, Herder's Stallion can't attack or block.
Creatures named Vengeful Herder get +2/+2 and have haste.
2/2

Taking the contest literally.  :3
Hilariously, while trying to design a set, I came up with a mount keyword, then scrapped it.  Here's a modified, and hopefully better, version.

First, Mounting is an ability keyword that creatures can have.

Mounting [cost]  Attach CARDNAME to another target creature.  As long as target creature is mounted on CARDNAME, that creature gets ABILITY.  (CARDNAME is still a creature, but can't attack or block.  If the mounted creature would die, CARDNAME dies instead.)

Right now, I'm split on functionality versus flavor.  Flavorfully, a Shivan Dragon shouldn't be able to mount something like Elvish Trampler.  However, functionally, this produces two problems: one, the ability word gets longer (it's already long enough), two, mount creatures become significantly less powerful.  I did have this additional line of text:

Only creatures with toughness less than CARDNAME's may mount it.

But I decided not to include it due to those earlier issues.  I also thought of saying "A creature can only be mounted to one creature at a time" but by that point it was getting ridiculous.  I kept it in its original form, which might make for some weird situations, sure, but no weirder than a Primordial Hydra wearing a nice pair of snappy sneakers.

Elven Rider |
Creature - Elf Scout (C)
As long as Elven Rider is mounted on another creature, it gets +1/+1 and hexproof.
"Your life's only as good as your steed."
1/1

Elven Trampler |
Creature - Beast (U)
Trample
Mounting – Attach Elven Trampler to another target creature.  As long as target creature is mounted on Elven Trampler, that creature gets +3/+3 and trample. (Elven Trampler is still a creature, but can't attack or block. If the mounted creature would die, Elven Trampler dies instead.)
An ignoble form with noble heart. 
3/3
Whiptongue Dragon
Creature - Dragon Lizard (R)
Ride (:Exile this attached to target creature you control. If that creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and put ~ into its owner's graveyard. Ride only as a sorcery.)
Whenever a creature dies, if it was dealt damage by ~ or its rider this turn, you may draw a card.
3/4

Hero of the Pipes
Creature - Human Warrior (M)
Vigilance, haste
: ~ gains flying until end of turn.
: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player. Activate this ability no more than twice each turn.
2/2

Totem armor meets haunt.
Darkwood Beastmaster :bgm:
Creature - Human Druid Warrior
: Attach ~ to a Mount you control.
: Unattach ~ from a Mount you control.
:bgm:: Regenerate.
"There is no beast in this wood I cannot ride."
2/2

Bridled Spider
Creature - Spider Mount
Reach.
"Getting on them isn't that hard, really.  If they're spinners, getting off is the problem." -- Noorinne, Arch-druid
1/5

mounting = "Mount" would be a creature type - when a creature is attached to a Mount, the controller has several advantages: the two creatures share all abilities; when the attached creatures attack or block, he can split up and allot combat damage dealt to each in any fashion (similar to banding); if either of the attached creatures would die, he can have the other one die instead; if either of the attached creatures would be the target of a spell or ability, he can have the other one be the target of that spell or ability instead.  Only two creatures can be attached a time.  At least one disadvantage: they always tap together; even if only one is Twiddled, and you choose to have the other one be the target, they'll still both get tapped by the spell.
Cornell's Warg -
Creature - Beast Mount
Lifelink
Champion a non-Mount creature.
Cornell's Warg has all abilities of the championed creature.
"Siccing a warg on one of those damned crusaders is easy. It's picking the holy mess out of their teeth that's the hard part." - Warg Tamer
3/3

Lesser Werewolf -
Creature - Werewolf
Pay 2 life: Less Werewolf gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once per turn.
Those who survive an encounter with one of Cornell's minions never forget their putrid breath.
1/1
Mount(If a creature has mount, you may attach it to a human. If you do, that human gets +3/+2)

So, the rider

Elite Cavalry 
Creature- Human Soldier
0/1
He is nothing without his horse

And the horse

Faithful Mare
Creature-Horse
Mount (If a creature has mount, you may attach it to a human. If you do, that human gets +3/+2)
0/1
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah

Steady
Horse
Creature Enchantment - Horse
Haste, Vigilance
Mount (: Attach this creature to target other creature. It ceases being a creature for as long as it is attached. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.)
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, haste and vigilance.
1/1

Stalking Lion
Creature - Cat
First Strike, Plainswalk
2/2

edit:
additional rule: When enchanted creature dies, the mount goes back to being a normal creature. (just like an equipment stays on the battlefield when equipped creature dies.)

my new deck: Bears with Weapons
previous submission
Wilderness Drider |
Creature — Beast Spider Mount
First strike, Reach
Mounting 1 (As long as ~ and one human or goblin creature you control are attacking or blocking, that creature gains double strike while equipped, it gains flanking, and reach.)
2/2

Beast Lord |
Creature — Goblin
As long as ~ and one beast creature with mounting you control are attacking or blocking, ~ has trample if that creature has trample. The same is true for hexproof, intimidate, landwalk, protection, reach, and vigilance.
: Target beast creature you control gains "Goblin Mounting" until end of turn.
1/1

update:

Wilderness Drider |
Creature — Beast Spider Mount
Double strike, Flanking, Reach
Warrior Mounting (~ has no abilities except if a warrior creature you control is in combat. Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, target warrior creature you control gains all other abilities of ~ for as long as ~ is in combat. Then except for those abilities, that creature loses all abilities it gained this turn.) 
3/3

Beast Lord |
Creature — Goblin
: Target beast or spider creature you control gains "Goblin Mounting" until end of combat. Activate this ability only during the combat phase. 
1/1

Got the "Mounting" keyword idea from TherealphatMatt's submission.
Ride (You may exile this creature as another creature you control's mount any time you could cast a sorcery by paying its Ride cost. You may return this creature to the battlefield by activating Ride while a creature is riding it.)

I think that wording covers what I want to do.

Blazehoof
Creature - Horse
Ride
Creatures riding ~ has Haste.
2/1

Flameweave Rider

Creature - Elemental Knight
First strike
, : Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of a creature ~ is riding. It gains haste until end of turn. Sacrifice it at the beginning of your next end step.
3/2

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Ok, exile is a pretty good idea.
Works very well within the rules that we already have.
But what happens when the riding creature dies? You didn't provide rules for that situation. Does the horse stay in exile?
Yes, it stays in exile.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Two in one package.

Flipping Cavalry | ()()()
Creature — Human Soldier Spirit
Whenever a horse or human permanent you control dies, you may transform ~.
A deck can have any number of cards named Flipping Cavalry.
They overwhelmed. No sooner would a rider go down, a steed took its place.
2/2

=======
=======

Transformare
Creature — Horse Spirit
First strike, Flanking, Vigilance, Protection from creatures with flying
Whenever a human creature you control dies, you may transform ~.
(): Attach ~ to a creature named Flipping Cavalry. As long as it remains attached, ~ is a noncreature permanent and that creature gains its other abilities. 
They overran everything. Anywhere a steed went down, a rider took its place.
3/3

Steady
Horse
Creature Enchantment - Horse
Haste, Vigilance
Mount (: Attach this creature to target other creature. It ceases being a creature for as long as it is attached. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.)
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, haste and vigilance.
1/1

Stalking Lion
Creature - Cat
First Strike, Plainswalk
2/2

edit:
additional rule: When enchanted creature dies, the mount goes back to being a normal creature. (just like an equipment stays on the battlefield when equipped creature dies.)

LoL.... 

I don't know about the cards but WoW..... I love the follow up picture

I think maybe an enchantment would work better than a creature for the mount.

Stables         2W
Enchantment

1W, : Target non-Mounted Rider you control gets a +1/+1 counter and has first strike. That creature is consider Mounted.

So you need Riders too.

Late Calvary       1W
Creature- Human Rider

As long as Late Calvery is Mounted, it is Indestructible.

1/1

Or mounts could be...

Warhorse        1W
Creature- Horse

: Target non-Mounted Rider gets +1+1 and is considered mounted
as long as Warhorse remains tapped.

You may choose to not untap Warhorse.

1/1

Some pretty good entries so far. I always find it interesting to see how many different ways people have for approaching this kind of challenge. I've read through and marked everything that's been submitted up to this point, so hopefully there won't be much delay between the end of the contest (in another four hours) and getting the feedback.
I'll go with my designs from other threads.

Saddled Pegasus 
Creature -- Pegasus Mount
You may choose not to untap Saddled Pegasus during your untap step.
Flying
: Target human creature you control gets +2/+2 and has flying as long as Saddled Pegasus remains tapped.
2/2

Vanguard Rider 
Creature - Human Soldier
When Vanguard Rider enters the battlefield, you may pay X.  If you do, search your library for a Mount card with converted mana cost X, reveal it and put it on the battlefield. You may activate its activated abilities as though it had haste.
1/1
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
I've read through and marked everything that's been submitted up to this point, so hopefully there won't be much delay between the end of the contest (in another four hours) and getting the feedback.

I edited my first submission, the originals are in a hide tag in case you rather stick with them. 

Alright, entry period's over, see below for comments and grades (based on Grokability/Playability/Innovation/Formatting/Flavour, each out of 4):

Dragondance
I like the idea of reverse-Champion for mounting, but it seems a bit busy. The +X/+X rather than +X/+Y is pretty unintuitive, and the fact that the Dragon's a 2/3 just makes that stand out more. Also, as worded, the mounted creature gains Mount, which then says that it can't be mounted, so that doesn't work. Some minor wording issues, the rider's ability should be worded like Threshold - "As long as ~ is mounted, etc.". On the flavour side, the mount doesn't feel ethereal or like a Dragon, should probably be a Drake. Likewise, the Skeleton doesn't feel like one without a regeneration-like ability. Some flavour text might have helped here.
G/P/I/F/F - 2/2/3/3/1 - 11/20

Sleetfox
This seems like something they should have done in Kamigawa but didn't (unless the Brothers Yamazaki were riding eachother, but lets not go there.) The Vengeful Herder seems pretty fun, and the Stallion being a 2/2 for is balanced nicely against being effectively double-Legendary. Formatting's fine on them, but the flavour's really lacking - I mean, the Herder's a legendary creature without a name, or flavour text, or even a class. I figure they're really just legends in order to make the idea work, but this seems like a lost opportunity.
G/P/I/F/F - 4/4/3/4/1 - 16/20

TherealphatMatt
Your approach gives me a sort of Totem Armor equipment vibe - unfortantely, since it doesn't get rid of damage in the replacement effect, they still both die if the rider takes damage. I do like that it spells out what it's giving the rider, so that you don't lose that information on a card without the reminder text, but why does that rules text let me stick my mount on someone else's creature? Playwise, they seem pretty strong. A conditional 2/2 Hexproof for and a 3/3 Trample-Licid for seem a bit too strong at common and uncommon. Maybe if they were a 1/2 that just gained hexproof and a 2/2 with trample? Formatting's pretty good, but Mounting should be a keyword rather than an ability word (it's a bit like both, but so is Forecast, and that gets keyword status). Flavour's straightforward, not the first time an Elf's been on a Beast, but the flavour text is short and sweet.
G/P/I/F/F - 3/2/3/3/4 - 15/20

Steinhauser
This deals with the removing damage issue that Matt had quite nicely. I feel like this should have a word like "haunting" to refer to the attachment (since I'm fairly certain only objects on the battlefield can attach to things), but I can't think of what it would be. "Exile this being ridden by target creature" would be a mouthful. Powerwise, the dragon might work at uncommon, but otherwise they're certainly on-colour and they seem like they'd be fun to play with. I like the interaction the two creatures' abilities have, although it seems weird that the rider gains flying on his own and not from the mount, which is a Dragon. Not sure what a Dragon's doing in green, either. The rider's abilities do a decent job of getting flavour across without italics, though.
G/P/I/F/F - 4/4/3/3/2 - 16/20

Koridian
I was wondering when someone was going to put the mounting ability on the rider instead of the mounted creature. Sadly, I can't grok this at all. You've tied up all the rules for Mount in a creature subtype, and without any reminder text, and there are a number of unintuitive replacement effects in the rules you explained. It comes off as very busy. Not sure why the Beastmaster has to pay mana to dismount, or why he and the regeneration have those semi-hybrid mana costs. The spider seems fine for his cost, although I don't think I'd be thrilled to have to tap the Beastmaster to mount in actual play. Like the flavour of them, but it seems ironic that the Beastmaster can't ride any beasts in the woods that aren't also Mounts.
G/P/I/F/F - 0/2/3/2/3 - 10/20

EpicLevelCommoner
Straight-up championing this time, but I like that you're using a subtype for it without binding any rules text into that subtype. I am a bit sad that due to how Champion works, you can't change a Mount's creature type with Conspiracy and go to town with a stack of Wargs riding each other, but it does make sense from a flavour perspective. The rider's nice, just a mono-black Putrid Leech, although there is already a Lesser Werewolf (unless his actual name is supposed to be Less Werewolf). Not sure why a werewolf needs to ride a warg, but considering it's a lesser werewolf, there isn't too much flavour disconnect. I like the connection in the flavour text as well - wish that Warg Tamer had a name, though.
G/P/I/F/F - 4/4/1/3/3 - 15/20

eddned
Can't grok this ability at all. Requiring a Human creature and giving a +3/+2 bonus both seem so oddly specific, it doesn't try to deal with the Mare still being a creaure while being mounted, and the ability doesn't tell me when I can attach the Mare. The boost from the horse is nice, but I don't know why I'd play a 0/1 for , or a 0/1 for . Maybe if the Cavalry had first strike and protection from something, it would make sense. I get the flavour of the Cavalry being "nothing without his horse" but he isn't much of anything with it. I'd rather just stick the Mare with a Little Girl - it would be cheaper.
G/P/I/F/F - 0/1/2/0/2 - 5/20

Brusko651
Now this is interesting, a mount that that doesn't leave the battlefield but still stops being a creature when mounted. Seems odd that I can stick it on my opponent's creatures though. That, and it's weird that the Horse is always an Enchantment. When it stops being a creature, it also needs to become an Aura for the attachment to work. I like the Lion, it's nice to see Plainswalk put somewhere sensible, and it comes across as a strong creature in a White Weenie mirror match. Don't know why a white Horse has or gives haste, though. Ought to be or such. I like the flavour, though. Lions riding horses is pretty delicious, though not quite as fun as a magician woman riding a gorilla riding a lion. Some fun flavour text would have been nice on the lion, though, describing his riding prowess.
G/P/I/F/F - 3/3/3/2/3 - 14/20

boozerker (original attempt)
I have no idea what's going on with this ability. Why is it tied strictly to Humans and Goblins? Why does it give double strike, but only if the other creature is equipped? Who gains the flanking and reach, and why? And what is the number for (presumably it's the number of other Humans/Goblins you need, but that's pretty unintuitive). The drider feels so overcosted for what it brings to the table, while the Beast Lord just seems like a mess - why is the onus on him to get the abilities from the mounts? Also, why can he turn any number of Beasts into mounts and then ride them all at the same time? You've split the mounting ability between two different creatures essentially, and it also leads to a fairly large break in flavour.
G/P/I/F/F - 0/1/2/1/2 - 6/20

boozerker (revised attempt)
Well this makes more sense. Less arbitrary numbers and abilities in the reminder text, creature subtypes spelled out. I don't particularly see why it has to lose all its other abilities when not in combat with a rider - seems like it would cut out a lot of design space. The meat of the ability doesn't feel much like mounting, though - why do I need two creatures to block them? And why does it get rid of any other abilities a creature has gained. You could probably simplify this whole ability to "Whenever this creature attacks with another Warrior creature, you may have that creature gain each of this creature's other abilities until end of combat." Beast Lord becomes much simpler here, but his ability doesn't do anything - by the time you can activate it, the Mount ability would have already triggered, so it's only useful if you get another combat phase later on. All in all, a valient attempt at fixing the previous suggestion, but it still needs polishing.
G/P/I/F/F - 2/2/2/2/2 - 10/20

Mown
I'm a bit sad that this ability leaves the mount in No Man's Land if the rider doesn't get off before dying, but I love the the rider can actually get off the mount. Playwise, they seem fine - Blazehoof's mostly a specialized Crimson Mage, and the Rider is a decent size for his cost, although with that ability, I think I'd rather stick him on a 6/6 Dragon mount than on a Horse (fortunately, he can ride both at the same time.) Formatting's mostly fine, but they should refer to the mount as a creature card while it's exiled. Flavourwise, I don't know why a Knight is spitting out copies of creatures it's sitting on, and doing so at the price of not attacking. Maybe some flavour text would help.
G/P/I/F/F - 4/3/4/3/2 - 16/20

boozerker (second entry)
Okay, so this thing becomes a typeless permanent, on top of being a transforming Relentless Rats. Why can I attach Transformare onto another transforming creature and have that creature transform twice whenever a Human creature I control dies? Furthermore, why does he turn into the Horse when a Human or Horse dies, but only flip back when a Human dies? Furthermore, why would I want to flip this back into a 2/2 instead of having a mini-Akroma? Horse seems pretty darn loaded up with abilities, but on the other hand, the Cavalry is pretty weak for its cost. The flavour's bizarre as well - where a rider goes down, a steed isn't taking its place - it takes the place of a different, still living rider.
G/P/I/F/F - 1/1/2/3/1 - 8/20

Duskhart
I like that rules text aren't being grafted onto the Rider subtype, but why require that subtype in the first place? Why can't my Youthful Knight pick up a steed at the Stables? "Considering" things is also fairly outdated rules text. Maybe if you put Steed counters on creatures instead and looked for that? The Warhorse has similar issues, and really, it's pretty much one of the Couriers - it even has the type restriction. I think I like the interaction between the Cavalry and the Warhorse more than I do the interaction with the Stables - the Cavalry becomes indestructible, but he's helpless again if you kill the horse. Flavourwise, though, I don't know why he becomes indestructible, and the other two cards come across as quite bland.
G/P/I/F/F - 3/2/1/2/2 - 10/20

Sebanovich
It's a lot like Duskhart's second attempt, which is to say, it's basically a Human Courier. It definitely works (although, again, is the type restriction on the mount necessary?), although it doesn't feel like new ground at all. The rider is much more interesting here, pretty much a mount-based Taj-Nar Swordsmith. Only thing is, almost everything that the Swordsmith tutors up will cost extra to equip, whereas the mount you've posted here costs nothing to activate, and it gains haste so it can do it immediately. Plus, it's pretty easy to use a Conspiracy or Artificial Evolution to tutor up whatever you cost. In a vacuum with just the two of them, though, it's not bad, snce you're basically just getting a 3/3 flyer for . Really, it just depends on the power of mounts you have available to you. Flavour's fine, except for the names - presumably the Pegasus should be a Pegasus instead of a Griffon, and Vanguard Rider's ability shouldn't refer to Mounted Elf.
G/P/I/F/F - 4/4/1/3/2 - 14/20

A Winner Is Who?
Really hard to pick a winner here, between SleetFox, Steinhauser and Mown, all very strong entries. For all intents and purposes, it's a three way tie and you all get self respect. But SleetFox gets the bonus point for actually making a Cowboy, so he gets more self respect. Rankingwise:

1. SleetFox, who wins the lion's share of self respect, and courage.

2. Steinhauser, who wins the tiger's share of self respect.

3. Mown, who wins the panther's share of etc. etc.

4. TherealphatMatt and EpicLevelCommoner, who win the most oxygen.

Thanks for participating everyone, and congratulations to those of you with superb entries!
was a fun contest! The ratings seem very fair and well thought out.
Congrats to the winners!

stupid me forgetting to write "target creature you control".  : D

I disagree about the creature having to turn into an aura in order to stay attached, though. There could easily be a rule that says "Enchantments with mount can be attached to creatures" or something like that.

I chose to make a lion as rider, because I didn't see much of a point in making a "rider" creature that specifically fits the mount, when mounts (at least the way I made them) can be sticked on any creature anyway. It would be illusional to act as if the mounts are only gonna be sticked on humans.

I like the interaction the two creatures' abilities have, although it seems weird that the rider gains flying on his own and not from the mount, which is a Dragon. Not sure what a Dragon's doing in green, either.

There's a reason for that
i40.tinypic.com/350uhqx.jpg
regular image formatting not working damn

2. Steinhauser, who wins the tiger's share of self respect.

You know, tigers are the bigger than lions. ;D Woohoo!

Thanks for the contest matey!
I disagree about the creature having to turn into an aura in order to stay attached, though. There could easily be a rule that says "Enchantments with mount can be attached to creatures" or something like that.

At that point, the rules might as well just say "Enchantments with "enchant object" can be attached to those objects" or "Artifacts with Equip can be attached to creatures". I suppose turning into an Aura isn't necessary, but perhaps if the Mount subtype was used here as an Enchantment subtype, allowing for an Enchantment that can be attached but doesn't die from state-based effects when not attached.
I chose to make a lion as rider, because I didn't see much of a point in making a "rider" creature that specifically fits the mount, when mounts (at least the way I made them) can be sticked on any creature anyway. It would be illusional to act as if the mounts are only gonna be sticked on humans.

I was fine with the lion being the rider, but with such short rules text, I wished it had some flavour text. Maybe something describing the great zebra chases.
i40.tinypic.com/350uhqx.jpg

Well I feel like an idiot for missing that one. Still think he should have just been a Lizard... Can Mario ride Yoshi while wearing his Raccoon suit? Anyways, as a consolation, you can also have the tiger's share of courage. Or whatever tigers tend to ask wizards for.

Well I feel like an idiot for missing that one. Still think he should have just been a Lizard... Can Mario ride Yoshi while wearing his Raccoon suit? Anyways, as a consolation, you can also have the tiger's share of courage. Or whatever tigers tend to ask wizards for.

The giblets. :9
I like that rules text aren't being grafted onto the Rider subtype, but why require that subtype in the first place? Why can't my Youthful Knight pick up a steed at the Stables? "Considering" things is also fairly outdated rules text. Maybe if you put Steed counters on creatures instead and looked for that? The Warhorse has similar issues, and really, it's pretty much one of the Couriers - it even has the type restriction. I think I like the interaction between the Cavalry and the Warhorse more than I do the interaction with the Stables - the Cavalry becomes indestructible, but he's helpless again if you kill the horse. Flavourwise, though, I don't know why he becomes indestructible, and the other two cards come across as quite bland.
G/P/I/F/F - 3/2/1/2/2 - 10/20

I required Rider type because these creatures are meant to be trained to use mounts and are considered less complete without them. It also prevent things like Emrakul sitting on a pony. Flavorwise, I believe that having a two creatures attacking together you can consider one riding the other, but they have no training which would benefit them, so it doesn't change how they behave. And the indetructible was put on because I was thinking about Knight Exemplar when I made it. It was more to just show how it could funtion, not what it had to have. Some mounts could grant first strike or double strike, possibly trample, haste, deathtouch, firebreathing, etc. And Riders could be vanilla until they are mounted, demonsrtaing that they train with a mount to fight properly. The stables were meant to represent an endless supply of mounts. Maybe it should say that cratures become moounted as long as stables remains in play?And as far as being bland, a horse is just a horse. It isn't meant to be the star. Maybe if he jumped up on a nightmare...
Sign In to post comments