DM Reward for DDE Season 6

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
has anyone received their copy for DMg DDE:S6 "Hidden Shrine Of Tamoachan" yet? It was announced that they should be arriving at our retailers 6-8 wks after the season started. We are on week 9 and nothing has come in yet. Just curious if anyone has received theirs yet.

Timothy Adams

Battle Hardened DM

has anyone received their copy for DMg DDE:S6 "Hidden Shrine Of Tamoachan" yet? It was announced that they should be arriving at our retailers 6-8 wks after the season started. We are on week 9 and nothing has come in yet. Just curious if anyone has received theirs yet.

I would hope that they would be mailed to the mailing address of your DCI/RPGA number of address and not sent to the stores.  If they go to the stores there will be a lot of DM's that will never receive their reward.
The adventure was definitely stated as going to the stores. Keep checking in at the store and make sure someone doesn't make off with your earned copy. I am doing so.

I would hope that they would be mailed to the mailing address of your DCI/RPGA number of address and not sent to the stores.  If they go to the stores there will be a lot of DM's that will never receive their reward.

I was under the impression that all DM rewards are distributed through the stores now. That's how I remember it working last season...  
Yes, all gaming materials (including rewards) are being sent to the store with the persons name on it. That much I do know. So, I wouldn't worry about it being given to someone else. I was just curious if anyone had received their copy yet. But so, far it sounds like a resounding "No". I juts get anxious, I' excited to see it and add it to my campaign.

Timothy Adams

Battle Hardened DM

Unfortunately there are stores out there that dont even let their DM's keep the seasons module and then put it up on Ebay for sale. And I can see these stores doing the same with the DM reward.
Unfortunately there are stores out there that dont even let their DM's keep the seasons module and then put it up on Ebay for sale. And I can see these stores doing the same with the DM reward.

An unfortunate side-effect of moving reward distribution to the store level. I've heard some... stories in our area, but so far it's all been to do with Magic promos. 

Perhaps such stores will find that they run out of DMs very quickly. But probably not... not everyone has multiple gaming stores within 25km.  
Unfortunately there are stores out there that don't even let their DM's keep the seasons module and then put it up on Ebay for sale. And I can see these stores doing the same with the DM reward.

Asa TO or a DM i would be filing a complaint to WOTC and then the retailer could get in trouble and have their store status pulled. from what i see now as the trend from WOTC, is that ever since than one legal incident 1.5 yrs ago, they aren't pulling any more punches and laying the hammer down on shady dealings major or minor.

Timothy Adams

Battle Hardened DM

@socksieboy01 - They wont pull a stores status that easily.  This has been going on since Game Days came around with 4e. 

@DropsonExistance - But there are a lot of DM's that dont know they are supposed to get anything. If they are not the TO and dont get the materials they will never know.  And as you can see by the users that post here a vast majority of TO's and DM's do not know about the forums.
@DropsonExistance - But there are a lot of DM's that dont know they are supposed to get anything. If they are not the TO and dont get the materials they will never know.  And as you can see by the users that post here a vast majority of TO's and DM's do not know about the forums.

You're absolutely right, of course. It's hard for me to imagine the shenanigans that go on in other stores. Occasionally, some of the things I hear about the gaming community make me wonder why I choose to be involved with it. 

So what would be ways to combat this? And more importantly, is it worth it from a business point of view for WotC to try, or is it up to the community? 

Back to the OP, I for one will be checking back after tomorrow's session. We usually get our material in a timely fashion.  
@socksieboy01 - They wont pull a stores status that easily.  This has been going on since Game Days came around with 4e. 

I used to run games at one particular store in this area, along with another regular DM there.

We both ran the Gates of Neverdeath Game Day event, but did not receive the special DM reward "Gale Force Nine" Token Packs we were supposed to get. We discussed it afterward, and he found out that the store owner sold the packs, so we reported him to WotC. I didn't hear anything back after the initial "we'll look into it" reply, but he was told that the store owner can do whatever they want with that material, since it's promotional stuff. I don't see how keeping it from the DMs that help run games at his store and selling it is in any way "promotional", though. 

The store owner, likely after he was contacted by WotC, told the other DM that he didn't get his tokens because he plays at another store. That is technically correct, since he runs a game at a different store in the area, but he played and ran far more games at that owner's store, so that's a pretty lame reason. I didn't get any explanation, lame or not.  

I haven't been back to that store since, so I'm not sure if anything happened to them.
@ScottyMet: That store owner sounds like the type that would register for "Encounters" or "Lair Assault" with the sole intent of selling it on eBay. They make their "bread and butter" from other games -- like Magic and Warhammer -- so feel no real compulsion to promote RPGs that barely justify their shelf space. They appreciate DMs running games in their store for the off-chance the players will buy something, even if it just snacks or other non-D&D items and fill the store with a "buzz" (positive vibe that encourages others to stick-around and shop) but make no significant efforts to actually support the game -- or the DMs.

And they wonder why many prefer to shop on-line. . .

That said, I can understand their motivations so I hold no grudge or anger towards them, but I also have no sense of loyalty or, sadly, a "FLGS."
@DeathMutantLives: You hit the nail on the head. He even charged players $1 to play D&D there. So, if I ran D&D Encounters, my players would have to pay $1 each to sit at the table. He didn't charge for Gameday events, though.

The store I moved to is great, though. I'm a lot happier there. 
Both the store owner and myself have been wondering where these little prizes are. Thankfully, this shopkeeper is a people-person and gives the DM's the materials, then offers local customers a shot before even thinking of selling any of the Encounters materials on ebay or similar. Though I do know one local shop who probably wouldn't be so amiable... Always the one rotten egg, huh?

But we keep remembering we don't usually get the Encounters or Game Day materials until about a week before the start of the season...

As for charging, though off topic, I can't see why people would want to charge to play Encounters. It's supposed to be a promotion, after all. At most, I may charge my players if they wanted to get some pizzas or drinks for the final week.
I have heard of stores that have charged for Encounters and then used the money at the end of the season for DM and player rewards and a pizza party.  With the store keeping some of the money of course for supplying the space. But just to charge and give nothing back for it would just leave a bad taste in my mouth.
To be fair, this particular store charges for ANY gamers to play ANY game (or at least rpg. Not sure about MTG or Warhammer). So, it's not just Encounters. 

Speaking of pizza and such, I think I'll talk to my current FLGS rep and arrange for us to do that during the last session of this season.  

Keep in mind that Wizards says in there material that comes with the encounter packets that it is ok to charge $1 or ask folks to buy a pack of cards. 

I played at the same store as ScottyMet did for a while and it was not just that they charged for us to play but that we where all most like a problem for the owner to deal with.

So happy with the store I play at now! 

Back on topic Smile;

My owner/organizer told me that WotC told her that the rewards will be shipped with the materials for next season. (Her supposition: probably to save on shipping.)

FWIW.
Back on topic ;

My owner/organizer told me that WotC told her that the rewards will be shipped with the materials for next season. (Her supposition: probably to save on shipping.)

FWIW.

If this is true, I understand from their point of view on saving on the shipping, but it was specified that it would arrive with the DM's, who DM'd at least one session, name on it 6-8 weeks after the season began. I am kind of an impatient person adn I hate waiting. lalalalalalalaTongue out

Timothy Adams

Battle Hardened DM

It's only been 6 weeks from the 31st today, and 8 weeks will run until the last Wednesday of October. Additionally, from the WPN:
At some point in October, you will receive a package containing one copy of the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan for each qualifying DM. The qualifying DMs will be listed in your package.

As you'll see there, it also says to keep hold of it until the next session, so Encounters DMs who are only at their store on Wednesdays might not get it until November 2nd. Finally, the next season starts on the 16th, so this sort of timeline seems to make sense.
I played at the same store as ScottyMet did for a while and it was not just that they charged for us to play but that we where all most like a problem for the owner to deal with.

Yeah, there was that too.

So happy with the store I play at now! 

Cool. I'm glad you found a good store, Topher.

I am also anxiously waiting the arrival of my DM reward. I own a copy of the old TSR module, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done in the update.  
It's only been 6 weeks from the 31st today, and 8 weeks will run until the last Wednesday of October. Additionally, from the WPN:
At some point in October, you will receive a package containing one copy of the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan for each qualifying DM. The qualifying DMs will be listed in your package.

As you'll see there, it also says to keep hold of it until the next session, so Encounters DMs who are only at their store on Wednesdays might not get it until November 2nd. Finally, the next season starts on the 16th, so this sort of timeline seems to make sense.

Ok I missed that. And one more side thing, whatever happened to the Ravenloft Game Day that was supposed to take place last week? Did I miss the emailer on that one too; I dont remember seeing a sign up for it?

Timothy Adams

Battle Hardened DM

Thanks for the notice and the link. Shared it with my FLGS owner.
I wanted to let everyone know that their FLGS might have recieved the rewards by now. I showed up today and the owner had my copy ready to go, complete with a pack of Fortune Cards. Man, I wish we could use these for monsters and not just when playing. Anyway, I just looked through it really quickly, and it looks to be a fun 7th lvl crawl, if not a little challenging.
My store had the modules when I was there yesterday.

They are packaged as mail parcels with the individuals name on them with the stores address.  They are in manilla padded envelopes and sealed of course.

Inside you have the following:
1 module
1 pack of Neverwinter cards
1 Monster (from the Drizzt board game)
I really didn't see a point to the monster card from the Drizzt board game. Not everyone who DM's 4e has the game. I donated mine to the store's copy of the game.
It's specifically to add one more reason for the DM to buy the game.
It's specifically to add one more reason for the DM to buy the game.

Exactly! Remember, WOTC is a business. Everything they do is designed to sell product.
- Rico
Well, to each their own. If I could find people to play the game with, then I'd get it, will admit to that, hahaha.
Well, to each their own. If I could find people to play the game with, then I'd get it, will admit to that, hahaha.

I have no interest in buying the game or playing it. So the card was wasted on me as well. But I understand why WOTC did it.
- Rico
I'm not interested in buying it either, really. My brother-in-law and nephews really liked Castle Ravenloft, though, so the Drizzt game might make a good present for them, and then I can pass the bonus card on to them too.

Guardian Games recieved our copies of the mod last Saturday and we have been distributing them to all the DM that ran session in August (we brought back a bunch of our previous DMs from seasons past). Most picked them up on Wednesday when we ran encounters (others, like me, ran down to the store to get their copy pronto).

The store owner called me the moment they arrived and I sent out a message to the lucky DMs on our DDE PDX DMs mail list. I will say that our store owner (hey Angel!) is about rewarding those that contribute to the gaming culture of her establishment. 2 weeks ago she gave movie passes to all the DMs (we have 8) plus some of the folks that were heavy contributors to our Neverwinterize Your Store project (see what our store did here).

Its my hope that store owners that don't take care of their DMs, will eventurally lose folks willing to run stuff for them. I am fine with stores charging for play space (ours doesn't, which is really nice) but taking rewards meant for folks making play happen in your store is a crappy move.

I hope that everyone gets their reward.

Bryan Blumklotz
DDE WPN Coordinator for Guardian Games
Looking for some DM tips for this module. I've read through it twice and am itching to run it come December. But I'm wondering about initiative order. Should it have one Init throughout since the effects of the lower levels depends on rounds and the like, or should it just be triggered every so often by lolligagging or when it says so in the adventure? That's my only real question about it as marching order and roleplaying take care of the rest.
When I get around to running it, I plan on keeping the same initiative order until the players take a short rest. I also hope to keep actions within a turn order basis, or at least a everyone does something before the first player moves again to help keep track of the time.
Such as letting the players end combat initiative when they want to? The only thing I can think of is, when they're trying to act all at once out of init., go off pure DEX to see who acts first. (Such as everyone wants to open the door, person with higher DEX opens it... and therefore gets hit with whatever effects happen, hahaha)
Got my reward. It's pretty cool. The map is lovely, and the adventure has an interesting old-school vibe. Also, the new set of Fortune Cards seem better than the first set. More useful in more situations.
Sign In to post comments