3 Gamma World Products? Enough to work with.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
About 6 weeks ago I noticed Paul Kidd's new book Red Sails in the Fallout on the shelves of my local Forbidden Planet store. I now own all three Gamma World products (and a set of Nuke dice) and I'm extremely happy with them. I've never owned a version of Gamma World before (got 2nd and 3rd editions of Metamorphosis Alpha and other Post-Apocalypse RPGS, Morrow Project, Twilight 2000 and Aftermath mind you) but I like the wacky wold setting and the rules light nature of the game (Paul's book does perfectly capture the feel of Gamma Terra).

Noticed a lot of input into the game from other players on the net, in this forum and others. One of the other things I like about GW is that it is reasonably easy to introduce new things and I've liked a lot of what of what I've seen (and downloaded it all, thanks, people).

I'm in two minds about whether or not I'd like to see more GW products. If they were there I'd certainly buy them, but they're not actually needed. One, I can make up anything and it would fit into this world. Two, it's easy to do so. Three, there are six earlier editions of GW stuff out there, second hand, etc., and they're excellent source material (and can be converted to the new edition).

I would like to see maybe one more product, perhaps a GMs Screen with a micro module (perhaps a 7e version of the original). What I would like to see however is for this to include a mini-supplement. There are just a few things I'd like to have a "official" rules on, an origin for Pure Strain Humans, a few more vocations (scavenger would be good) with guidelines for creating more and perhaps a bit on Scavenger Teck, the wild and wonderful things you can come up with rooting around in a whole world that's a junk heap.

Obviously there are home-grown suggestions for all of the above already available ( I have a few myself) and since all the stuff from the other modules is now sitting in the main GW box (I'm making cardboard separators to keep it tidy) the covers from Far Go and Legion are being converted into my own home made GM screen.

Doubt we'll see any more product releases though.
Welcome to Gamma World!

I would like to see more gamma world products simply for things like new cards (alpha mutations and omega tech).

Using the old stuff is pretty useful - which is why I created the Mutation List a while back. I am working on the equipment and making salvage type tech (think fallout 3 schematics) but there is other stuff I am working on for gamma world that keeps getting in the way. But hopefully soon, but using old stuff and converting it, takes time too.

Amen to the GM Screen!

Pure stain humans though? They mentioned those in the core book. I dont have it with me, but I believe they mentioned a Hawkoid could be a human with a jet pack. A radioactive could have a rad suit, ray gun, and teleporter. The alpha mutations can be treated as an omega tech device that acts like an alpha mutation. Bam Pure Strain Human.

I don't think it is a far stretch from a shapeshifting/wheeled being a 'transformer' or a shapeshifting squid with eyeball wheels. Why cant it be a pure strain human in a suit that transforms? Or have a biological mass that changes around him?

Of course the thought of loosing everything that person has... well all I can say is that it just keeps coming back to him. It's taken away - Flux Happens, it's back on him. Sheesh when did He-Man ever lose his sword for more then an episode?

We may have seen the last of GW products for 7e from Wizards... but it probably won't be the last gamma world product.

I do wish for more books though!

Great thoughts - Keep posting!
Sorry, used the wrong term, not pure strain, the engineered humans cover pure strain, I'm talking of original (and best?) bog-standard purely evolved baseline human. My thoughts were that you can choose at the start of the chargen process, either run the usual random gamut of Gamma World character origins, or choose baseline human. There is no second origin. You choose which of your stats to be 18 and 16, you choose which skills to be at +4 (and roll the usual random one as well). You get a certain all round bonus to defences (you'd have had to have some natural resistances or you'd have died several ancestors back). No alpha mutation deck though, and no effect of alpha flux, indeed I was thinking that the novice "power" of a baseline human would be to actually cancel out alpha powers of others (bit like the "mundanes" in GURPS IOU), they're islands of stability in a shifting world. At the next level they might be able to interfere with omega tech and then at expert level even the exotic biology/tech that makes up the bodies of enemies and monsters. With concentration they can impose baseline reality on the world around them. Their other "powers" would tend to be those of synchronicity and luck (two novice, utility and expert powers for this origin, the player decides which ones come in to play first as their level goes up).

One other modification to the cards is a single card that is shuffled at random into either the Alpha Mutation or Omega Tech deck of the GM (making use of the common back to both decks). It's not a power, or a piece of technology. When the lucky player who draws it turns it over it has a single word on it. "KEEPER". He can apply this to any alpha power or piece of omega tech he has and it becomes permanent, the power stays, the tech doesn't break down (with some common sense, a single use item like a bomb will only have one use no matter what, something like "The Patch II" could be rationalised by having the nanites become a self replicating swarm in the character's body, essentially giving the player the Regenerator level 1 power from that origin).

The downside- If applied to an alpha mutation it locks the alpha flux around the character, they can't use any other alpha mutations (even if their level allows them) so they have to ditch their alpha deck. If applied to a piece of omega tech, it's the tech that has the card attached, not the character. Tech can (usually, perhaps not that nanite swarm) be stolen and rumours of a fully operational ancients device will spread quickly. Whole adventures could focus on getting back a bit of omega tech that some thieving scrote of a Dabber has made off with (and nanites? "Hmmm, handy, we'll have to bring you in and extract them").

PS- Baseline humans you meet in other modules, like Legion of Gold, don't have powers. This is rationalised that they're the baseline humans from other realities, not the original where the Big Mistake happened, they don't get the cancelling powers that decendants of this reality's humans get (they'd have had to breed true, or the strain can crop up here and there for humans with original baselines in their ancestry, not decided yet), but they would get alpha mutations as normal (if "normal" is the word). Player character baselines would have to have something going for them or there wouldn't be much point in playing them
While I would love to see additional expansions, etc, I certainly agree that one could base an entire campaign on what has been published already. There certainly are a lot of mutations, etc, so that a game shouldn't get too stale any time soon.

Keep in mind, however, that game support doesn't need to be just a bunch more rulebooks. How about these things:

1. Like others who have posted, I'd like to see a GM screen. I'm not sure why WotC doesn't jump all over this.

2. I bought some "nuke" dice and thought they were cool in concept but kind of meh in color. I found some Chessex dice which I like for GW (Orange-yellow with black numbers) because they seem kind of radioactive to me, even if they don't have cool nuke symbols on them.
They are bright. I'd love to see some official GW dice in a color scheme similar to the boxed sets.

3. Also some GW tile sets for encounters. Some random locations with cool graphics like nuke cannisters dripping ooze or other background goodies that would help set the mood.

That kind of thing!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

3. Also some GW tile sets for encounters. Some random locations with cool graphics like nuke cannisters dripping ooze or other background goodies that would help set the mood.

That kind of thing!

Make yer players drink thier dew out of these: www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/d29...

Though I enjoy the maps that come with the box sets, I think that GW themed tiles would be fantastic. It'd be great to have more options for set pieces when running the game. Also, a screen would be a godsend.
A tip in the meantime: If you're able to find the any suplemetal D&D adventure sites, like Vor Rukoth or Hammerfast, they contain  fold out maps of crumbling ruins and a large, rowdy tavern which I've found to be useful for conversion to a GW game.  

I was dissapointed to read that after September there is absolutly nothing new slated for release that's related to Gamma World.  Were the sales so dissapointing to WotC? I liked the  Adventure sites for the Nentir Vale, couldn't some other real world cities be turned into supplimental style Adventures?  WotC headquarters is near Seattle, and there is a slew of possiblilites for that city to become the center of a post apocalyptic adventure. 
Though I enjoy the maps that come with the box sets, I think that GW themed tiles would be fantastic. It'd be great to have more options for set pieces when running the game.

Agreed. If I have to come up with my own adventures, it would at least be nice to have some universal tiles that I can use.

WotC headquarters is near Seattle, and there is a slew of possiblilites for that city to become the center of a post apocalyptic adventure. 

Are you predicting that Seattle would be the first to go? Or hoping? Wink

Seriously, what GW needs is a complete ruined city to use as a focus point for a campaign, and Seattle is as good as any. I've just been watching "The Walking Dead" where Atlanta is run over by zombies, and it's clear that a city makes for fun adventures. Lots of supplies close by but hard to get to, so that the characters have to work at foraging.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Seattle seems to have quite a post-apocalypse heritage (if you can have such a thing) the latest Terry Brooks "Shannara" series is set there (which apparently bridges his post apocalypse series and the later Shannara books). There's also this picture from someone on Deviantart if you want to give your players a look at it- bdbros.deviantart.com/art/Seattle-Post-A... , or indeed this one- www.flickr.com/photos/aidenag/3249427680...

In fact, in nearby Redmond, a mere 10 miles down the road you can attend the Post-Apocalypse meet-up group F.A.S.T. (Future Apocalypse Survival Teams)- www.meetup.com/Future-Apocalypse-Surviva.... Endless hours of fun there (perhaps the core of a future Restorationist community).

This HERO Games forum seems to have some good (and amusing) Seattle-specific ideas on how various aspects of the city would translate into a post apocalypse world- www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/.... The Fremont Troll?

*checks* Ah.

All this from doing a five minute google search on "post-apocalypse" and "seattle".
Though I enjoy the maps that come with the box sets, I think that GW themed tiles would be fantastic. It'd be great to have more options for set pieces when running the game.

here

WotC headquarters is near Seattle, and there is a slew of possiblilites for that city to become the center of a post apocalyptic adventure. 

Actually, one of the first adventures WotC created for the new Gamma World was set in Seattle:
Pax Extraterrestria: lvl 1 from the convention special packet in the WPN scheduling tool

Though I enjoy the maps that come with the box sets, I think that GW themed tiles would be fantastic. It'd be great to have more options for set pieces when running the game. Also, a screen would be a godsend. 

I would also LOVE to see tiles with a sci fi flavor but GW in particualr featuring more hazaards and traps and their stats.

The Star Wars maps are great and fit in seamlessly with Gamma World. Consitering the twisted world of GW any map can be justified and I do find it fun to go through my etensive collection and come up with a use for the features on particular maps. Recently a map featuring the ruins of an old temple became an delapitated vehicle workshop while a tavern became the local municipal police station with jail cells in the basement.
Seattle seems to have quite a post-apocalypse heritage (if you can have such a thing)

Another couple:
1. Wasn't Shadowrun based on Seattle?
2. I think the Dark Angel TV series (Jessica Alba) was based on Seattle as well.

This is almost like a mandate from the people. It's fate. We clearly need a "Gamma World Seattle" expansion! C'mon WotC! Wink

Why do you need WotC to create it? Just create your own and make it available (that's the only way it'll get done).
Sorry, used the wrong term, not pure strain, the engineered humans cover pure strain, I'm talking of original (and best?) bog-standard purely evolved baseline human.

You used the right classic-Gamma World term.  Pure Strain Humans were a feature of the game through most editions.  The Engineered Human isn't it at all, Engineered Human + something else ~= classic Gamma World 'humanoid mutant.'  

There was a Dragon mag article for 2nd ed Gamma World that spelled out a history for 'Pure Strain Humans' that had them genetically altered - to explain the extra hps they got in that version.  That's about it.

My thoughts were that you can choose at the start of the chargen process, either run the usual random gamut of Gamma World character origins, or choose baseline human. There is no second origin.

That's kinda the idea I had, here.  I took it in a more tongue-in-cheek direction, though.  PSHs never had 'powers,' even in eds where they were made a little tougher to compensate for their lack of mutatons.  4e-D&D-style 'powers,' though can represent sheer skill/determination/luck/whatever....

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Hi there,

taking this thread back on topic, although the 3 boxed sets are good, i would like to have an expaction toward the lvl limit. I feel that 10 levels are too few to play with, even if the mortality rate in Gamma World is so high.

just something to think about ;)
"You used the right classic-Gamma World term.  Pure Strain Humans were a feature of the game through most editions.  The Engineered Human isn't it at all, Engineered Human + something else ~= classic Gamma World 'humanoid mutant."

Engineered humans aren't mutants or any other GW critter. First off, unless the GM allows you pick an EH, you have to roll the same origin twice to be one. That means EHs are very rare as a character option yet would be more common as a single species compared to the diversity of the overall mutant population you can roll that may have a human background.

As for definition, what better represents a pure strain human than one who was created to be mankind's ideal genetic successor? It's 150 years later and they're still unchanged. For this reason they should have an entry in the Monster section. Since quite a few of them know they are humanity's untainted best who better to rule the Earth and cleanse it than as Knights of Genetic Purity?

This is one reason we need a Monster sourcebook. The Knights were a classic antagonist. Even though the three books contain plenty of threats to run most campaigns it was the diversity of choices that made creating adventures fun. On a similar note, is the D&D Essentials Monster Vault compatible with Gamma World? 

Just so I'm sure though, if I create a person using the character creation rules and build it up to whatever level I need it would function as a standard creature at that level for XP rewards? 
Hi there,

taking this thread back on topic, although the 3 boxed sets are good, i would like to have an expaction toward the lvl limit. I feel that 10 levels are too few to play with, even if the mortality rate in Gamma World is so high.

just something to think about ;)

Gamma world isnt really meant to be a long term campaign type game, so Wotc likely thought that ten levels was fine for a short campaign. also, if paragon levels were included, even more new mechanics would have to be developed to act as an equivalent to Paragon paths.
Gamma world isnt really meant to be a long term campaign type game, so Wotc likely thought that ten levels was fine for a short campaign.

I agree with you, and have no intent to "shoot the messenger" so it's not aimed at you, but doesn't this sound like a "big picture" problem somewhere in the marketing department?

They create a game with the specific intent of not having it be a long-term game, which essentially is like saying they created it hoping for it not to be too successful. Seems to me like they should be creating a game open-ended enough and with expansion possibilities in the hopes that it catches on and folks will want to play it, then if the customer asks for more product they design it and sell it.

I have the same frustration with the 4E adventure board games which, if I understand correctly, appear to be designed so that you can buy the three games (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt) and then are basically done with the product line. I'd like to see more character options with cards and minis that would integrate with the existing games. Seems like they could hook a customer into this system and sell all kinds of neat extras. What is the advantage of creating a game specifically designed to end a product line?

I'm sure that there is some reasoning behind this strategy, perhaps in terms of diminishing returns in sales from later products compared to early ones or something like that. I wish I knew.

Myself and my group would love to see more Gamma World products as well, including the option of playing characters past 10th level.  At least give those of us that want to go beyond that point the option.  A GM screen and some of the other things mentioned in this thread would be great also.
Myself and my group would love to see more Gamma World products as well, including the option of playing characters past 10th level.  At least give those of us that want to go beyond that point the option.  A GM screen and some of the other things mentioned in this thread would be great also.

Oraibi had some great rules on her post.
And of course her website has some great stuff!

Super dreaming...but my group has burned through the current releases...wishing we had miniatures, real module releases and regular releases of booster cards. A GM screen seems like a no brainer and why the heck don't we have vehicle kits and mini games for them? AKA car wars.  
The thread lives!

Sorry for the resurrectionist tendancies.

Oraibi's website truely is a thing of truth and beauty and radioactive bunnies, and I have downloaded, oh yessssssss my precious.....

Ahem.

Seeing as how it's clear WotC is not going to be producing any other products here I have been hunting around for other stuffage that can be used without totally abandoning Gamma World for another game system like Mutant Epoch  that is ACTUALLY SUPPORTED BY THE FRACKING MAKERS!!!!!

Ahem (again).

The Barbarians of the Apocalypse supplement for Barbarians of Lemuria is a fantastic tool for generating post-apocalyptic input, but I'm actually looking at a fair bit of 4e D&D seeing as how someone has given guidelines for adapting monsters for GW. Might have to pick up the Monster Vault now. And a lot of the actual modules look as if they can be used with minimal tweaking, especially the desert ones.

As for mini games, anyone own a copy of Battlecars? The classic boardgame of post-apoc vehicular combat.

Actually, you know, Lord of the Rings translated to a Gamma World setting...

It could work...
As for mini games, anyone own a copy of Battlecars? The classic boardgame of post-apoc vehicular combat.

I don't (but thanks for letting us know about it).

However, I've used the Thunder Road boardgame in Gamma world for a fast-paced, road warrior-ish chase scene . It's not the right scale, but it's the fastest boardgame I've every played... and it has plenty of wreckage.

I also picked up some Racer Knights vehicles for dirt cheap. They are the right scale and have the perfect look (especially if you darken the white-edges with a black sharpie). Their combat system can even go fast if you replace movement and firing arcs with a 2" grid.