Any update on a rules update?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there any chance anyone knows anything about WHETHER we will get rules corrections/updates/errata?  I'd relly like to know if official updates are on the way...
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/u...

I shall assume any updates not in articles will be updated here since the game does not have its own site and was introduced thru this site.
I sent an email to customer service about Lodestone Lure a month ago. Got an email a day later saying that they'd try to get an answer from the developers of GW. Still waiting on any further reply.
I sent an email to customer service about Lodestone Lure a month ago. Got an email a day later saying that they'd try to get an answer from the developers of GW. Still waiting on any further reply.

Guess that puts paid to the theory that the proper route to get a ruling is through Customer Service. 

A while back I sent an e-mail to one of the designers asking him to drop by the forum and answer a few burning GW rules questions. No reply.

It's frustrating. I know that GW isn't WOTC's main D&D product line, but it warranted the release of three boxes and a set of collectible cards. I don't think it's out of line to ask for even a minimal amount of customer service. 

What's the question about Lodestone Lure?

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

What's the question about Lodestone Lure?

From the forum FAQ (if desired):
"Is Lodestone Lure (Magnetic power) really an At-will, Minor action attack power? As written, yes. However, the concensus is that this is too powerful and possibly a typo (i.e. should instead be a standard action or  encounter power).  Discussed here and here."

"Magnets, how do they work?" - ICP
Glad you could chime-in Steve, but can you answer the OP.

When will we get "official" rule corrections/updates/errata?  Where will they be found?
Original question still needs an answer...
D&D & Boardgames If I have everything I need to run great games for many years without repeating stuff, why do I need to buy anything right now?
The original question still could use an answer: Can anyone let us know if they are working on a rules update?  I'd be happy with an answer from someone in the know that something along the lines of one of the the following:

1.) Yes - We are working on it.
2.) No - There are currently no plans to do a rules update.
3.) Maybe - We have collected some material to be considered for an update, but there are more steps that need to be taken and we have higher priorities that may prevent us from ever getting back to it.   
The original question still could use an answer: Can anyone let us know if they are working on a rules update?  I'd be happy with an answer from someone in the know that something along the lines of one of the the following:

1.) Yes - We are working on it.
2.) No - There are currently no plans to do a rules update.
3.) Maybe - We have collected some material to be considered for an update, but there are more steps that need to be taken and we have higher priorities that may prevent us from ever getting back to it.   

I'm not 'in the know', but given that they are done with their planned releases and the WotC Gamma World FAQ is empty, options 1 and 3 seem unlikely (and wouldn't serve much purpose anymore).

... I'm not 'in the know', but given that they are done with their planned releases and the WotC Gamma World FAQ is empty, options 1 and 3 seem unlikely (and wouldn't serve much purpose anymore).

There are still a lot of people playing the game - and showing that you support products you release, even when they have a limited run or finite design, isn't exactly a PR waste. 

After all they did say they were gathering info for a FAQ...
I created a Google Doc that attempts to normalize all of the Novice powers of all Origins.  I included notes below each change referring to other similar powers I based the changes from, and my reasons why I felt the changes were necessary.

You'll find the doc in this thread:
Novice Powers re-balanced to At-Wills - Spreadsheet all 48 Origins 

I appreciate any input you all might have.  I'll continue to update the spreadsheet as more suggestions come in.
I'd still like to hear whether we will or will not get a rules pdate for the game... If they collect materials to do one, I'd like to know whether they abandoned it or if it is still coming.
Stillcurious...
I'd still like to hear whether we will or will not get a rules pdate for the game...

My guess is "no."

1. Seems like WotC made it pretty clear early on that there would be a core rules set and two expansions. Even the two novels (which were published much too late, in my opinion) were announced early and no further products seem to be on the horizon. I haven't seen anything to indicate that there is or ever was any plan to expand the game farther, no matter what the success of the product might be. Strange.

2. The fact that nobody in charge ever answers your original question in this post is very telling. I don't think WotC is really paying attention to GW any more. I think it's done, it's over. Frown

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

3. They don't want to print any new versions of Core rule for D&D either.
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Per WotC:
"Do you have any plans for continued support and future content for use in D&D Gamma World 4e? This September, we have a Gamma World-themed Deck of Many Things planned for Dungeon. Beyond that, we have no plans to release more content for Gamma World."
With this news, I almost want to start an "unnoficial errata thread" to take care of rules issues. Sure, we have the FAQ, but that has a lot of noise, so to speak.

Unfortunately, with what they've done about the only 3rd party GW product I was aware of, I don't think we'll be seeing any external sources expanding the game.

*sigh*

This is, of course, my assumption that I'll get to run or play in another GW game.
Per WotC:
"Do you have any plans for continued support and future content for use in D&D Gamma World 4e? This September, we have a Gamma World-themed Deck of Many Things planned for Dungeon. Beyond that, we have no plans to release more content for Gamma World."

Darn. The Deck of Many Things woulds sweet, but I don't get Dungeon.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

Per WotC:

Darn. The Deck of Many Things woulds sweet, but I don't get Dungeon.

chances are that the Deck will be free content, like the other GW articles.
That is pretty annoying.  If they had not spent time gathering information about rules issues, I could understand them not releasing errata.  However, considering that they spent time to gether info, I am annoyed that they are just letting it sit idle.

I look forward to a good community solution. 
It looks like we have an official answer from WotC:

"Do you intend to post any rules updates or corrections for D&D Gamma World, like you do for 4E? While built on the same system, Gamma World and D&D 4E are two very different beasts with different focuses when it comes to feel and balance. The first (stickied) thread in the Gamma World forum contains questions and answers generated by the community, links of interest, and a lot of other helpful info for Gamma World players and GMs. Right now, our errata reviewers are focused on getting D&D books and online articles up to date. When they get caught up on that process, they'll look at the Gamma World forum and determine whether anything in it needs to be addressed officially. For now, that thread is a terrific resource (and we appreciate all the work that dedicated fans have put into it)."

If they had not spent time gathering information about rules issues, I could understand them not releasing errata.  However, considering that they spent time to gether info, I am annoyed that they are just letting it sit idle.

I have not seen anything saying they had spend a lot of time on that. Indeed, thier statement seems to indicate that if they do decide to gather information, it will primarily be from the forum FAQ... and that for now, the forum FAQ is your best resource.

So if want a particular clarification or correction... it's just a matter of speaking up here. Not sure how to make it easier than that.

fwiw: there are actually a lot less rules issues than I would've expected for this product (i.e. it was created on a tiny budget), and it got an honorable mention in the Ennie Awards Best Rules category.
Sign In to post comments