DMs - any trouble with certain classes just breaking any tactics you may have?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
There's a half-orc slayer in my game that just has a knack for ruining any tactics or strategies that have been set up for me. Mostly because he comes in and uses Power Strike right off for 30+ to the first nonminion he encounters.

Just curious about other DMs' "Thorn in the Side." And wanted to complain.
I'm assuming that's powerstrike/furious assault? He's playing his class right.
Not to mention how does he know what is a minion and what isnt?  There is no way to know this minus a Nature/Arcana/Dungeoneering or Religion check depending upon the creature type.
Or he hits something that just got hit by a friend and stays standing...
No problems with Slayers, specifically, no - they do occassionaly hit pretty hard, but they're strikers, they're supposed to.  Enchanter Mages have pulled some tricks at our tables last season.  Doesn't matter how the enemies are arranged:  Beguiling Strands to push them into a tight group, followed by dropping a burst 1 on them (like, oh, Phantom Chasm) pust a crimp in their style - a Hunter to drop rapid shot on them just adds injury to insult.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Not to mention how does he know what is a minion and what isnt?  There is no way to know this minus a Nature/Arcana/Dungeoneering or Religion check depending upon the creature type.

This is not entirely a rules issue, more one of play style. In Encounters, which is mainly aimed and newer players, and players who can't get a game together any other place, I think game transparency is a good idea. It keeps the encounter moving faster and allows the players to make more intelligent choices.  

www.wizards.com/DnD/Downloads/375_gametr... Transparency, at some level is recommended by many of the WotC staff writers.

At a minimum in my games, both Home and Encounters, I let the players know which monsters are minions, assuming the players ask; and I let them know whether the monsters are taking more or less damage from an attack due to vulnerability/resistance, once the attack is resolved.

As to the OP, I had problems for the first two seasons of essentials-only Encounters with Mages with the Fountain of Flame daily. Big fire damage - fine; lasts to end of the encounter - alright no duration tracking; enemies only - Yell. Luckily it deals damage on entering and end of turn, not beginning, so I could usually get some monsters out.

This past week I was miffed by two out of six pcs at my table having both 6 necrotic resistance and 5 fire resistance. With the monsters in the encounter it meant they could ignore the ongoing damage, and a lot of the attack damage. The PC tactics made it difficult to switch targets to the squishies, and my dice were going badly against me 90% of the night.
Yeah, I have the Blackiron Armor as the defender in our group.  I was definitely saved by the resistances on the armor.  I actually hit the 'taking 50+ damage' this week.  The armor was a good choice to add in because of the damage types.
Defender's Aura is driving me mental.

This season there is a lot of monsters that really shine when they have combat advantage.  If the monsters go first sometimes they can get into flanking, but more often than not the defender will get into range and my only option is to shift, which sets of an attack by the defender. Basically my minions never get into flanking to help the monsters that need combat advantage.

The players however, love this ability. It really making me think harder about what tactics to use to get combat advantage, but it usually ends up in the players favour. 
With anything but a minion, you can just walk away from a defender's aura.  The Knight's regular OA actualy hurts less (doesn't do damage on a miss) compared to his Battle Challenge OA.  Can't shift?  Just move where you need to be.   Thus you set up the CA, and you give the Knight the thrill of making his OA (challenge or regular), and incidentally speed up the combat, since both the Knight and the monster with CA are dishing more damage.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!