Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for July, 2011

96 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone get how the Daily Deck qualifies as combo?  All I see is Kuldotha Forgemaster + 2 other artifacts = BSC; a fairly strong play, but is it enough to make this a "combo/control deck"?  Are they counting Tezzeret as a one-card combo or something?  If so, I'd regard this as dirty pool.

I know it's not a new announcement, but man that Duel Deck pairing seems oddly placed every time I see it. Ajani vs Nicol Bolas was the climax of the Alara block, two years ago!. It made sense then for them to be dueling. Now it seems about as relevant as Kamahl vs Akroma.

You mean Kamahl vs. Ixidor or Phage vs. Akroma, but I would love to see those as Duel Decks even now (and 8 years is slightly different from 2).
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Does anyone get how the Daily Deck qualifies as combo?  All I see is Kuldotha Forgemaster + 2 other artifacts = BSC; a fairly strong play, but is it enough to make this a "combo/control deck"?  Are they counting Tezzeret as a one-card combo or something?  If so, I'd regard this as dirty pool.

I know it's not a new announcement, but man that Duel Deck pairing seems oddly placed every time I see it. Ajani vs Nicol Bolas was the climax of the Alara block, two years ago!. It made sense then for them to be dueling. Now it seems about as relevant as Kamahl vs Akroma.

You mean Kamahl vs. Ixidor or Phage vs. Akroma, but I would love to see those as Duel Decks even now (and 8 years is slightly different from 2).

Maybe they define "combo" as "winning by specific cards"? So that a deck that wins by getting out a Blightsteel Colossus, by any means, is more combo than aggro? I don't really agree with the definition, but it's the only way I can see this being a combo deck.

Also: Yes, please! to the Phage vs. Akroma Duel Deck!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Many a control deck wins by getting a Simic Sky Swallower out by any means necessary - most commonly by waiting until turn 9 to hardcast it with Counterspell backup or the like.  So that definition would fail.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
This is one case where I like the sketch WAY more than I like the final art.

I agree. I love the final art too, but the color washes out the details.
Um... Can someone explain how the card of the day text for Sorin makes sense? Assuming the mending didn't happen too long ago, there should be plenty of oldwalkers roaming the multiverse as old as or older than Sorin. Before the mending, being of a race that had a long lifespan didn't really distinguish you from other planeswalkers... Or am I wrong?
@ Landiur:  I admit to being curious myself how Sorin fits into the current planeswalker paradigm.  It'd be one thing if he'd been a thousands-of-years-old vampire whose Spark awakened post-Mending, but that's clearly not the case.  And it definitely hasn't been thousands of years since the Mending, since Venser was perfectly mortal and is in both Future Sight and Scars of Mirrodin.  So Sorin is either another surviving oldwalker who was simply depowered (like Nicol Bolas, only he didn't go all schizo over it, which makes sense given that UBR is a color combo far more consistent with being bat#$&% insane than mono-black, though it can happen there too), or he was some sort of anomalous pre-Mending example of what would become the default form of planeswalker post-Mending.  Or, most likely, someone didn't quite think the concept through when they wrote his backstory...I for one would be perfectly fine with that, as it's not like previous awesome characters such as Taysir and Tevesh Szat haven't had a few slightly stupid assumptions in their conceptualization, which are worth glossing over in view of their overall coolness.

Warstorm Surge - Back when I was writing, I took one look at the art description of this card and went completely overboard with excitement.  I loved the idea of the Core Set doing some of the long-neglected followup on Future Sight and Planechase, and tried to work allusions to the known planes into my submissions wherever I could.  Sadly, I don't believe any such examples get through...I like to imagine this was because there was a continuity manager somewhere in Wizards that went through the submissions scrubbing things that contradicted yet-to-be-revealed canon info for upcoming sets, but this is probably a distinctly overblown fantasy on my part.
The Magic Celebration sounds interesting.

Although, I'm surprised there's not a link to a page explaiing what Mini-Master is. I know I've read about it, but I don't have the greatest memory.
Ooh, this sounds like a ton of fun. I just wish my local store was doing it :/
 T-shirt sizes are L and XL.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, apparently.  :P

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

The Magic Celebration sounds like a lot of fun- I especially want to find out what these bonus items for "Duels: 2012" are.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are any events happening in Iraq this year.
Oh well, maybe next time. 
 T-shirt sizes are L and XL.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, apparently.  :P

This.

I also wanted to actually look at the shirt, you know.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
That manaless dredge deck is a thing of wonder and terror. I love that the game can be twisted that far. I also love that it was a sensible metagame call given how little graveyard hate was expected, and it probably won't be the sensible thing to play a few weeks later
Is there any chance to have the Wallpaper of the Week be Aegis Angel sometime? I've really fallen in love with this card and the art is nothing short of mindblowing, a wallpaper sized version of it would be incredible
That manaless dredge deck is a thing of wonder and terror. I love that the game can be twisted that far. I also love that it was a sensible metagame call given how little graveyard hate was expected, and it probably won't be the sensible thing to play a few weeks later

The zero-turn HulkFlash godhand still takes the cake for ridiculous, though.
Guess who's back! (back back)

Back again! ('gain 'gain)

Malkov's back! (back back)

Tell a friend! (friend friend)       

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I don't care for the set name one bit (definitely came out of a focus group or something), but a new Sorin excites me greatly and the picture is pure epicness.  (Two black pw's in one block?  Very strange.)
I don't care for the set name one bit (definitely came out of a focus group or something), but a new Sorin excites me greatly and the picture is pure epicness.  (Two black pw's in one block?  Very strange.)

Ony reason I see why there may be 2 black walkers in the same block is Wotc is making up for all the years of meh Black planeswalkers.

2 black sets in a row? take it easy, WotC...
Hmm, if they were going to have a new Sorin so soon, wouldn't it have made more sense to update Liliana in M12?  Or are has she been swept under the rug like that horrible Elf-Walker? (Personally I think the new Garruk is better for elf decks than she is... which I find rather amusing.)
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
The card (hopefully) this art goes on could say "Tap: You lose the game" and I would still want playsets of it. Just awesome.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
In the 2nd article about his shirts.....Maro refers to Innistrad block briefly within the context of how magic blocks allow players to personalize their experience by choosing which side(Scars), or which guild(Ravnica), or which shard(Alara) they will pilot to victory.  If he's playing around that's fine, I get it, it probably means nothing. 

I have a notion though, that this new block could be about who you choose to fight AGAINST.  For example:  I play a two or three color deck, who's theme is to outright hate on two other colors.  Yes, its insular.  Yes, its mean, but it can work, even in constructed where it pays to be able to respond effectively to any other color combination. 

One of my key witnesses to the possibility of this being the new theme coming up is the Crusaders from the Mirrodin Besieged set, both of which have protection from two other colors.  Not to mention the swords(which really need no mention at all)  We also saw a mono-red common creature that hates its own color.  It's been done before, but I suspect there's more to it this time than WoTC popping out metagame commons.  Another hint is perhaps in the Phyrexian Mana cost cards not showing any particular allegiance to their base color(especially in standard *cough* Dismember *cough*)

I'm sure somebody can take this idea apart in a few words, but It'd be cool to see what others think about this!
Hmm, if they were going to have a new Sorin so soon, wouldn't it have made more sense to update Liliana in M12?  Or are has she been swept under the rug like that horrible Elf-Walker? (Personally I think the new Garruk is better for elf decks than she is... which I find rather amusing.)

Judging from the pic they used when they introduced Innistrad, we're getting a new Liliana also. So they couldn't really update either without it being weird.

This has me incredibly excited, by the way. Sorin is my favorite planeswalker in concept, so I'm dying to see his (hopefully more playable) new card. And a new Liliana, also... Innistrad block is saturated with swampwater and I couldn't be more eager to see it.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

How do we even know, there are gonna be 2 black 'walkers in the block? I mean... monoblack. They may be multicolour. Say Liliana black/blue and Sorin black/red... In this sense, how many red 'walkers were there in the Shards block? Anyway, I'm quite curious what turns out of this.

How do we even know, there are gonna be 2 black 'walkers in the block? I mean... monoblack. They may be multicolour. Say Liliana black/blue and Sorin black/red... In this sense, how many red 'walkers were there in the Shards block? Anyway, I'm quite curious what turns out of this.

If neither the new Sorin nor the new Liliana is mono-black, I shall weep openly and without shame. Mono-black has the fewest planeswalkers, and the least playable ones to boot. But more importantly, if Sorin has been around for centuries and has never picked up a second color, why should he now? Liliana could go /Blue (she was really close with Jace, and apparently zombies are going to be in Blue also in Innistrad), but Sorin should stay mono-black unless they give a really good reason for him to break his centuries-long streak. A really good reason.
Well, I didn't say it necessarily has to be so. And I definitely agree that monoblack 'walkers could use some reinforcement. So, we'll see. I don't know about Sorin, I guess he can stay monoblack but I definitely don't expect two monoblack 'walkers in one block. And what you say about Liliana are exactly my thoughts behind her going black/blue...
Maybe we get a new mono B Liliana and a new multicolored Sorin. At least to me this seems to make sense because we already have a mono B Sorin in M12.
In terms of flavor, Sorin had some cooperation with Nissa in Rise of the eldrazi, so maybe he could be BG. Green also would be a good choice because it has the fewest Planeswalker's: 

Green: 4 (3 Mono G)
Black: 5 (2 Mono B)
White: 6 (4 Mono W)
Blue: 7 (4 Mono U)
Red: 8 (4 Mono R) 

The list shows that black has the fewest monocolored PW so i definitely think at least one of the two will be Mono B. 
Yes, it would be good to have a new (and hopefully playable) monoblack 'walker. Liliana going black/blue would make sense, Sorin had some cooperation with Nissa but to me it would make more sense if Nissa went green/black than Sorin going black/green. Anyway, it's so much about speculation at this moment...
Interesting and more interesting. BOTH Liliana and Sorin in the Innistrad Block. So this could lead to a power grab between the two Black planeswalkers. So when does betting begin for "roll" having Garruk or Nissa Revane? The two green planewalkers are chasing their respective Black counterparts. 
Interesting and more interesting. BOTH Liliana and Sorin in the Innistrad Block. So this could lead to a power grab between the two Black planeswalkers.

...and then the makeup sex?

Interesting and more interesting. BOTH Liliana and Sorin in the Innistrad Block. So this could lead to a power grab between the two Black planeswalkers. So when does betting begin for "roll" having Garruk or Nissa Revane? The two green planewalkers are chasing their respective Black counterparts. 

...and then the makeup sex?

Maybe we get a new mono B Liliana and a new multicolored Sorin. At least to me this seems to make sense because we already have a mono B Sorin in M12.
In terms of flavor, Sorin had some cooperation with Nissa in Rise of the eldrazi, so maybe he could be BG. Green also would be a good choice because it has the fewest Planeswalker's: 

Green: 4 (3 Mono G)
Black: 5 (2 Mono B)
White: 6 (4 Mono W)
Blue: 7 (4 Mono U)
Red: 8 (4 Mono R) 

The list shows that black has the fewest monocolored PW so i definitely think at least one of the two will be Mono B. 

Except I think Liliana is much more likely to go multicolored than Sorin. Liliana and Jace were dating (poor girl... who knows what he did to her mind?) and she's definitely on a quest for knowledge (a very specific knowledge, but it still counts). Sorin, on the other hand, has been around for centuries and is still mono-black. He'd need something very compelling to make him take up another color NOW. About the only thing I could see would be going /Red, to match up with Innistrad vampires, but that still doesn't make much sense unless in his centuries of travel he's never been to Innistrad before (something I just can't believe, as it seems to be THE place for Black mages to chillax). Him going /Green because of Nissa just seems weird to me, though I didn't read the book. According to Duels, however, Nissa went /Black, so I'd say Sorin corrupted her, not she corrupted him.
Nitpick: The newer Grim Lavamancer art was commissioned for the Judge Gift Program, not for Fire and Lightning.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Nitpick: The newer Grim Lavamancer art was commissioned for the Judge Gift Program, not for Fire and Lightning.

You're probably right, but you can't be absolutely sure. All you actually know is that the first time it was used publicly was on the Judge promo. That doesn't necessarily speak to what it was originally commissioned for.

...anyone buy that? No? Okay, fine. I'll correct the arcana tomorrow.
On the note of new art for reprinted cards, the one I've really been wondering about was Flametongue Kavu in Commander. I'm pretty certain that it's the only reprint in the decks that has completely new art. I thought that this for sure meant it would be in M12, but it isn't. Mysterious...

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Nitpick: Today's Arcana cites Jim Nelson as the artist responsible for the F&L/2012 Grim Lavamancer, when it's actually Michael Sutfin.

Figured I'd let you know now so you only have make one trip to the interwebs for corrections instead of two. ;)
Dang, I hadn't seen the art for the old Lavamancer. I really like it quite a bit more than the new one. 

But the whole story behind the card was pretty cool  
Nitpick: In today's Arcana, the captions for the two full art images of Grim Lavamancer have "Jim Nelson" where they should have the name of the card.    (i.e. "Jim Nelson | Art by Jim Nelson" should be "Grim Lavamancer | Art by Jim Nelson" / "Grim Lavamancer | Art by Michael Sutfin".)
Nitpick: In today's Arcana, the captions for the two full art images of Grim Lavamancer have "Jim Nelson" where they should have the name of the card.    (i.e. "Jim Nelson | Art by Jim Nelson" should be "Grim Lavamancer | Art by Jim Nelson" / "Grim Lavamancer | Art by Michael Sutfin".)

Shh. That's just a super-secret spoiler for the Jim Nelson planeswalker card in Innistrad.

The Favors would be even more on the nose if they both incremented your life by minus-power and plus-toughness, resulting in "gain 2 life" and "lose 2 life" instead of "gain life equal to the toughness bonus" on one and "lose life equal to the toughness bonus" on the other.  But I guess they wanted more seductive numbers than that.
Regarding the Innistrad block planeswalker speculation:  I think It is entirely possible that one of the mono black planeswalkers will pull a Tezzeret and add a color. Most likely Liliana, as mentioned before, Sorin is centuries old so I think he is pretty secure in his philosophy on life and thus his color will probably stay the same (this is entirely based on evidence from the story however, Sorin could be better with another color gameplay-wise, I'm not really sure how to analyze how he'd function). But after seeing Scars block's story shift so dramatically, from the peaceful mirrodin eventually becoming fully infected (haha) by Phyrexia, I think Innistrad will do something of the opposite. I think Innistrad block will begin with a corrupt, dark world and by the end of the block be saved somehow. Planeswalker-wise, I think that the world of Innistrad (or city, I think I read that it's actually a city) being saved will create the opportunity for Ajani to return in shining glory. I don't think the Magic developers would outright remove only one formerly core set planeswalker while retooling or changing the sets of others. As far as being playable, Ajani (Goldmane) wasn't the best planeswalker, but he was somewhat playable, certainly more so than the old Chandra (in my opinion anyway) and Chandra got changed to be pretty good. I think the dark imagery and presence of the two black planeswalkers revealed in Innistrad block is setting the stage for Ajani's return as a contrast to the darkness. (These are just my own opinions and theories, I find myself thinking about the story of Magic: the Gathering almost as much as the game itself.)