Starting level?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm going to try Encounters tomorrow.  I understand this season is in its final chapter.  If I create a new character now do I start at level 1?

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I'm going to try Encounters tomorrow.  I understand this season is in its final chapter.  If I create a new character now do I start at level 1?

You should check with your stores Organizer but most people will be 3rd level for the last Chapter. If you choose to make a 3rd level character I would not recommend giving it magical items without your Organizers permission.

You should check with your stores Organizer but most people will be 3rd level for the last Chapter. If you choose to make a 3rd level character I would not recommend giving it magical items without your Organizers permission.

Ditto on that.  Unless your DM is really sadistic or the regular players are really passive-agressive, you should drop in as a 3rd-level character.  Otherwise you have a good chance of dying in a couple of the upcoming encounters.  You'll have to ask the DM if you get any magic or not; it's pretty sparse in this adventure so he/she might only allow one/none magic Common magic items.
-Alveric "And the sword that had visited Earth from so far away smote like the falling of thunderbolts; and green sparks rose from the armour, and crimson as sword met sword; and thick elvish blood moved slowly, from wide slits, down the cuirass; and Lirazel gazed in awe and wonder and love; and the combatants edged away fighting into the forest; and branches fell on them hacked off by their fight; and the runes in Alveric's far-travelled sword exulted, and roared at the elf-knight; until in the dark of the wood, amongst branches severed from disenchanted trees, with a blow like that of a thunderbolt riving an oak tree, Alveric slew him."
Unless your DM is really sadistic or the regular players are really passive-agressive, you should drop in as a 3rd-level character.  Otherwise you have a good chance of dying in a couple of the upcoming encounters.

This isn't the old days; the difference in survivability between a 1st-level and a 3rd-level character isn't a factor of 3; it's not even a factor of 2. 1st- and 3rd-level characters in the same party, while perhaps not ideal, can easily survive the same encounter if it's tuned properly.

DMs are free to do as they wish, but the rule for D&D Encounters this season is that new players start with 1st-level characters. DMs are advised to take character levels into account when adjusting the encounters. We haven't seen any major problems with that so far.
Sign In to post comments