Anyone beaten Planeswalker difficulty Bolas yet in Archenemy?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pretty much what the title asks. I don't want to have to just drop down in difficulty to beat him, but he's kicking my butt left, right and center. Out of the past twenty matches I've had against him, he's only once ever been below 20 life, and he tends to pull out big Exsanguinates or taking out people who have Cancels and the like so he can drop an uncontested Damnation or Cruel Ultimatum. Or he'll get a Know Naught But Fire on his first turn, or a Plots that Span Centuries or a worst-timing-possible My Crushing Masterstroke. It's hard to even try and get lucky with bad schemes, because his scheme deck is tuned to be either devastatingly destructive or devastatingly ramping.

I've been trying a few combinations of decks against him, mostly with me running Kiara Atua's deck with the AIs playing some mix of Sorin, Jace, Nissa, Gideon or Kiara, but haven't had much luck with any of those. Is this one of those situations where you pretty much require other human players so they can be intelligent and use decks with full unlocks, or is there some magical mixture of decks that performs well against him and are versatile enough to stand up to his constant barrage of multiplayer-tuned effects? I had thought Kiora Atua was an annoying Archenemy, but Bolas is proving to be an absolute snot.
3x Kiora did it for me, but I can't say it was an easy victory. It's all about what he pulls from the scheme deck, really.
Yep. Combo we used is Equip White deck + Mono red burn deck (not the haste one) + Blue/Green Mana acceleration deck.
Combine that with a little luck and you can beat em. Took us about 3 hours to get the right strat.
Yep. Combo we used is Equip White deck + Mono red burn deck (not the haste one) + Blue/Green Mana acceleration deck.
Combine that with a little luck and you can beat em. Took us about 3 hours to get the right strat.

When you say "us", does that mean you had to use a human team to beat him?
If he was smart, yes. I did it with AI, but you really want to go with actual humans. You'll end up having much more fun, even if you don't win.
I beat him using Kiara and 2 AI Sorin.  The Vamps do a great job keeping him occupied until I can pull out the big guns. Beat him first try.  Sorin also has creatures with lifelink that you can use Rite of Replication on if you run low on life.
Finally beat the bugger with the AI allies (Sorin and Jace with my Kiala) and it's definitely a case of luck. I was lucky enough that he only had removal and wasted it on useless creatures, and had a long bout of destructive schemes without hitting any that drew him cards, got him lands, or damaged the team. Then Ulamog got rid of his land base and killed him. I can't really see much of any strategy to beating him other than repetitively slogging through it and praying for bad cards on his side, which is kind of a shame.
3x Jace, bulldozed him on my first attempt.
i used triple elf deck, it was fairly easy.
I had a tough time too. Finally beat him playing Wielding with 2 Jaces. Both Jaces Died. I won't on last 2 turns solo.

Had Kitesail  Apprentice  w/Sword of War and Peace and a Sunspear Shakari. It was like 4 to 10 (Bolas) after I hit him with Kitesail.  On my 2nd turn I equipped Sunspear Shakari. Bolas had no creatures but played a fattie and drew a bunch of cards with a scheme. He removed Shakari. Next turn I just equip Kitesail and it's over. Actually my favorite game to date. Bad AI though. Should have removed Kitesail and hung around another turn or two, scheme might have saved him.

Took me about 6 games to beat him.

PS: I took a break before the final game that I won.  I was playing Illusions and other 2 AIs were dead. it was a long match, and he played a 5/5 dragon and had no cards left in hand. I played Sower of Temptation I had been holding on to and took the dragon. Game over in 2 turns. Not really, he played a Scheme that let him duplicate sower and he took it back. I had no cards left and it was over, I quit. That game really sucked. 
you know that higher "difficulty" setting just gives him the exact right cards, at the exact time he needs them?
just lower the diff it's actually more realistic.  yeah they do dumb things, that's better than just flat out cheating IMO.

also IMO the whole "Archenemy" is dumb.  those Schemes are simply stupid, yeah I know it's 3 vs 1 but still, just stupid OP

I only tried it once though, but he smashed my 2 dumb opponents in about 3 turns, then left me fighting him solo with my little 2/1 and crap vs his Scheme cards that are like "this Scheme totally pwns everything on the board oh and also you get 38 life" I mean seriously.... what?

I was just playing it to unlock cards but LOL I won't be playing that any more
you know that higher "difficulty" setting just gives him the exact right cards, at the exact time he needs them?
just lower the diff it's actually more realistic.  yeah they do dumb things, that's better than just flat out cheating IMO.

also IMO the whole "Archenemy" is dumb.  those Scheme are simply stupid, yeah I know it's 3 vs 1 but still, just stupid OP

I think you're not quite right.
I believe that higher difficulty gives AI advantage, meaning there's a highes chance of specific cards draw (if I'm not mistaken twice the possibility of drawing couple of specified cards, in some cases triple), it doesn't give exact right cards.
I played against Karn on Revenge, and for 4 or 5 rounds he drew 2 lands and no mox
whatever, point is it cheats.  I know the AI is dumb and needs a little help, but that's just lazy... oh well guess we don't get military-spec AI for $7.99 ... I prefer playing humans (that make even worse mistakes.. hehe.. but at least it's fair)
beat him first time with illusions and sorin+gideon AI. It was hairy, very hairy and when the hit me with cruel ultimatum, i sat with my jaw open at how brutal that card really is. Luckily a few cancels and draw spells turned the tide and time warp sealed the victory
3x Jace, bulldozed him on my first attempt.

Yup, Illusions x3 versus any archenemy is pretty much auto-win. those illusions will booster each other to ridiculous levels in no time

I beat him on my second go while playing Sorin's deck with support from AI Gideon and Jace. He quickly wiped out my allies with cards like exsanguinate and a turn 1 nought but fire but I was able to beat him solo mainly because of sangromancer - she netted me huge quantities of life and I quickly reached something like 120 because he drew (and then discarded) a tonne of cards using 1 of the schemes. After I gained all that life it was very easy to kick his ass.
I was lucky to have sangromancer in my opening hand but I think the key is to have a large dose of lifegain cards in the deck so you can withstand all the direct damage schemes and spells he uses. He doesnt have that many creatures so if you establish quick board position you can really hurt him just by playing crits as fast as you can becuase you never know when he will draw another huge damage scheme - emptying your hand also protects against nought but fire too
Just did it with 3 Sorins (2 AI) on my second attempt and i was close on 1st one. Can't say it was very difficult. First time he was constantly removing creatures and then using mass kill spell 2 times, but second time he didn't have enough time to pull them. My AI teammates builded huge armies of vampires very quickly.

Kiora was a more tough challenge with dozens of saprolings and then big guys coming (and that super OP scheme which takes all the untapped creatures of the opponents and untap them and make them attack.. this is just too much..). But last time i was lucky that she didn't pull them till the end and the only Lorthas was arrested by AI Gideon. Won on my ~7 attempt with me being Chandra and Jace and Gideon AI. Jace did a good job cancelling a few big guys and i had a 2x damage for the fire spells.
I had trouble the first few time using a variety of decks but the i switched to 3X elf and did it first time, those Heedless Ones get huge.
Me and my two friends beat hm first or second time with Depths, Machinations/Dragons(Don't remember which one I switched too), and Unquenchable. We might have just been lucky, but he didn't go down without a fight.
beat him on 1 go with SoS and 2 x Apex (monogreen is a great deck for Archenemy when fully unlocked). He wiped the board clean a few times beat Apex can put out a lot of effecient critters quick, protect others with GG, give health and finish the deal with Maro sorcerer or Trample.
Sign In to post comments