Ashes of Athas now available for home play!

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to let everyone know that the Dark Sun organized play campaign has now made Chapter One adventures available for home play.

Edit, 2013: All chapters can now be ordered by sending me a personal message. Use the side panel next to my name to send me a PM with the e-mail address to which I should send the adventures. We will also send links to maps and the final Campaign Guide.

Thanks!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Oh yeah.... Amazing...

I requested the first adventure about a month ago.... can't wait to play it  Cool

Will we be able to request an adventure after it is retired from play?  I'm guessing it simply means retired from con play but I just want to make sure I'm on the same page.

A friend of mine is trying to organize a local con of our own.  The plan is to run various gaming systems through out the day.  I volunteered to run Gamma World and or 4e Dark Sun.  It would be great to have an Ashes of Athas adventure.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

They will actually retire from play in all forms. We realize this is a short window (though feedback is appreciated - especially as we get close to the first retirements). The idea is to encourage everyone to stay with the current storyline so that everyone is focused forward. We hope that the lower number of adventures (9 per year) makes this possible without being a hindrance.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Thanks for making this available AlphaStream1.
Dave Christ (aka, "the Baldman") is the guy who made it happen, along with Wizards of the Coast.

They both really liked the concept and saw you all being excited and playing a lot of Ashes of Athas, so they went forward with expanding play options.

We will continue to be motivated by the convention play. We will write for that type of event/atmosphere/etc. In our minds, that's the coolest place to play AoA. But, we will try to also address home play within the adventures (for example, instructing DMs that in home play they can explore a scene longer).

Also, a sneak peak for chapter 2. The first two adventures will feature a mix of RP, investigation, and (of course) combat. The third in the series will feel like a battle interactive. Expect a strong challenge with a lot of exciting combat and some new rules never before attempted... At Origins and Gen Con we will stress that feel in ways that home play likely can't easily replicate.

i hope i get a chance to try this out!
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
Just got the first adventure stuff in my email, looking forward to running my home game group through this.
Just got the first adventure stuff in my email, looking forward to running my home game group through this.

Sweet!

We won't be making further changes to the adventures, but we do look forward to still learning from your feedback. Please check in on the forums and let us know how it all goes for you.

Unfortunately the schedule for my game has gotten screwed thanks to real life.  Hopefully I'll get to play through this with my group mid July and I'll get feedback up as soon as I can.  So far reading through it I like what you've done.
Alpha, this is a great offer. I appreciate your sharing. I've requested the Chapter One.

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

We are currently deep in the bleary-eyed stage for Chapter Two. We sent out draft adventures to Origins judges and we are working on story awards for the chapter. I think people will enjoy these rewards, let alone the adventures.

Dave reports more than 100 adventure requests so far, which was a lot more than I expected! Thanks, folks!

Now back to work...

I'm typing this a few hours before I leave to attend Origins and play Chapter Two.
(So this may be entirely too late)

My group spent Chapter One being chased all over Athas by ...um... The Enemy.  Now I want to know:
(a) how did They get our number, and
(b) we figured out who They are (part 3), how can we get Their number in return?

Hopefully part/all of Chapter Three can involve taking care of this.

Looking forward to more Ashes of Athas tomorrow!

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Let us know how you like Chapter 2. By Chapter 3 you can expect some good answers. Maybe some new questions, too! ;)

I'm living in New Zealand so have NO chance of attending any of the events AoA is being run at so really appreciate them being made available.

Huge thanks go to Alpha and the Baldman.
The thanks here really go to the Baldman. He made home play happen. The admins, you can blame us for the content!

Do consider running a small gameday. The adventures fit nicely into one day of gaming. DMs get credit for running (or can replay), which should make organizing a con or gameday easier.

Let us know how you like Chapter 2.

You asked for it. 

On second thought: Extensive discussion coming soon on the AoA forums.

We did better by role-playing the negotiations than our characters could have done at skill checks (because the highest Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate rating we had was a +5).  Good thing the pro-slavery speech was delivered from behind a desk and some bodyguards, not into the face of our Escaped Slave character!
Edit: One of the other players at our table wanted to pop his Daily on the speech-ifier.

The town wall
Show

- In-game reality check: Why would you build a town wall only 15 feet high, when the known enemies who you want to keep out, can jump 20 feet straight up?  Did the architect actually get paid for his work?!
Suggested fix: would-be jumpers have to be part-way up a ladder; this encourages the PCs to pull ladder shenannigans.  (I still want to allow a STR 20 guy to pull the ladder UP on the wall for keeps!)
Edit: I can answer my own question - maybe the architect got paid by House Mercenary, which needs to give raw recruits some experience.

I've fallen and I can't get up!
Show

- The scorpions that dig pits have the equivalent of an Epic-level Warlock power (Tartarean Tomb, L25 IIRC).  The status effects alone are powerful enough to take one PC out of the fight for several rounds, the bugs don't need to do anything else to him.  Should the bugs be fragile enough that a Controller can one-on-one with them?  (Yes, one liked the taste of Leg of Dwarf.)

The solo fight went well for us, even though the militia couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  5 vs 1 is actually pretty good odds.  We had it bloodied before its friends could get on the map.

Edit: sblocks added per request.

Show

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Please do use spoiler blocks around adventure content. Thanks!

Let's talk more over on the AoA forums, but at the high level:
Spoilers within related to Chapter Two

1) Intended
2) We used the sizes stipulated by canon, in part because those measurements are stated several times in several different sources of both AD&D and 4E. The idea you propose is within the purview of what a DM is instructed to do. Out-of-the-box PC/player thinking is encouraged.
3) Athas isn't fair? It worked well in a couple of playtests and was too strong in one playtest, but we will take Origins feedback into account for further changes. Please write more on the AoA forums. Specifically, was it really a problem, or did it make for a fun challenge?
4) We've had different experiences. 4E is swingy and it isn't uncommon for one table to destroy fight x and have trouble with fight y, and then the next table to have the complete opposite experience. We try to provide a varied enough encounter design that it is unlikely you will have trouble in all encounters or cakewalk all of them. The adventures stipulate the target challenge level and provides the DM ways to meet the target, though it is of course easier for DMs to do so once they have run the adventure at least once.

Thanks for playing the campaign and for your feedback! I would appreciate more feedback over on the AOA forums. I'll check on whether we have a Chapter Two area and create it if we don't.

Received my copy for my home campaign (we game at the FLGS or the house depending on availabilty) and I am impressed.  Well put together and because we play about 3 hrs a night weekly, it looks to be easy to divy up like the Encounters sessions were.

Kudos to the designers!  Looking forward to CH2&3 once out and we get there.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Thanks!

And, anyone who has not yet ordered may want to consider this:
From @AshesofAthas:

Will you be the 150th location to sign-up to run #ashesofathas ? Should happen soon and a surprise to you if you are the one.

We had a really successful Gen Con. My thanks to everyone that has played, judged, authored, and posted feedback. When we launched this we never expected it to be so successful. We had 25-30 tables per slot at Gen Con. That is just incredible. Thank you!

With Gen Con we have finished the 2011 story arc and now commence to design 2012!

That's awesome alphastream. One of my players went to Gen Con and texted me after playing. He said it was pretty kick-@$$.

I know there are difficulties involved, but I think Baldman Games should seriously consider publishing the Ashes of Athas series. After all, it's not like WotC is providing a lot of adventures or supporting their settings. Unless of course they do a complete turn around in the next year.
Oh, one important bit. I wanted to clarify to players and judges of AOA2-2, that there was an incorrect title in the final encounter for the last story award. If you were worried you missed out on something, you didn't. It just had the wrong title.

Kurmudgeon, thanks. We can't publish without going to an OGL model, and that would necessitate stripping out all IP, such as the setting information. It just isn't possible under the current situation. We are very grateful that we can allow home play for a limited time period, so hopefully players and DMs take advantage of those windows.

Well that certainly...sucks. To bad they won't outsource to a third party Wink. Like I said, not like they are giving it much love in the print dept.
I've got some brief vignettes from Chapter 3 on page 26 of this thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... (the link points at "most recent post", sorry).
I really enjoyed this chapter, in part because we finally get a whack at the guys who have been tormenting us since the first combat of AoA1-1.

@Alphastream,
Do the AoA forums have a 'Chapter Three' section?  I'm waiting eagerly.

Show

Prepped ahead of time:

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

Character Ready-to-go:

Dave "the Baldman" Christ is on a well-deserved vacation. He will create the Chapter Three forum when he gets back. Glad you enjoyed Chapter Three!

Oh, and your link seems to point to a Druid handbook...

Yah, the link seems to be aimed at "last post", not "MY post".  Here's a cut-and-paste of what I said:
Returning from GenCon, where I played my Dark Sun druid through four modules (whew).  Brief thoughts:

- I finally dumped my L1d Lightning Arc power because I never used it.  It prones everybody adjacent to the primary targets.  That usually meant my allies, due to the prevalence of melee artists in DS and my low initiative modifier.

- My new L1d is Wind Prison, which saw a lot of use (because it is party-friendly).  I planted it on one flying skirmisher and watched all his friends fall flat on their faces when he came at us for a flyby attack.  In another module, I used it on an immobile attacking tree since it would be perma-CA for everybody.

- Comment from a swarm druid: Are you EVER going to get into beast form?!
Answer: No; Narvik's a controller, not a striker.  I'm going to stand back here and cast stuff at the enemy.

- I met paladins on Athas.  Deva paladins.  Yes, there were two.  They said (I didn't check on this myself) that Character Builder let them do it.  If they go Demigod ED, the heavens will never be the same.

- I popped my L5d Vine Serpents on one BBEG and missed.  But the effect was - as I explained in the local vernacular - "the bad guy is now in a World Wrestling Federation cage match".  After that, the melee guys were champing at the bit to get at him.

- That BBEG was also an artillery.  I was actually setting up a duel between him on one side and the THREE spellcasters on ours, figuring he would hurt himself (this makes our job go quicker) rather than run (and meet our melee artists) or surrender.

- For flavor purposes, I'm changing Thorn Whip to Chill Wind, because most of my non-at-wills have something to do with the breeze.  However I maintain that Thorn Whip is under-rated in this guide.  (It should be basic black, not avoid-me purple.)  I have really enjoyed using it and recommend it as an out-of-the-box at-will.  BTW, if you can manage to be 3 floors up and on a balcony you can get 1d8+mods+1d10 out of Thorn Whip.  Pull your victim two squares straight up and drop him.  Note that there is no weight limit on what you can pull.

- I got a CRIT with e1 Call Forth the Spirit Pack after delaying my turn until the Warden had a chance to mark all the tough guys in the room.  In effect I got 3X-normal damage and bloodied my target in one shot.  I thereby fulfilled my pseudo-striker deed for the day.  This is my only encounter power that has no breeze attached, but I'm keeping it anyway.

- Call of the Beast did not get as much use here as it did at Origins.  (Are you defending the town wall?  CotB + end your turn in beast form + Savage Rend = gold.  Also good is firing CotB into a crowd that can't get up a ladder to reach you.)  I'm keeping it because I can send enemies onto the high-AC defender rather than the injured striker.  It's also good if you (and friends) can CotB + slow + push away; the enemies take the damage if they don't attack at all !

- Healing Seed L2u is a cool thing to have around if you get into a grindfest and have used your second wind.  I've started just creating the thing at the beginning of every module so it's available when somebody needs healed up.  I usually have plenty of healing surges available (but once in a while I get plastered by something).

- Dwarven resistance to Poison was nifty when I got clobbered by an Athasian Minstrel's alpha strike.  I still had to make a pair of death saving throws before the Warlord could get over to me, though.

- In one encounter, I surprised the party: I rolled my attacks but missed, then volunteered to take three kamikazes for 16 HP total (they were minions and calculable).  I announced that Narvik spent 1 healing surge and went on as if nothing had happened.  The non-CON guys were jealous.

So ... the Baldman did a ton of work and now he wants to REST ?!  How un-Athas is that? Tongue out  He must meet the praetor from AoA2-2!
Seriously, thanks to him and the rest of the staff.  This campaign has been a lot of fun.

Show

Prepped ahead of time:

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

Character Ready-to-go:

If I don't rest (aka spend time and money with the wife) I get my butt kicked. It's an epic tier daily that auto-hits. I try to avoid that whenever possible.

and oh ya. The Chapter Three discussion forum has been setup.
Alphastream1 I need your help! I tried to get an adventure of AoA but i have no answer yet! the only place in Brazil that will narrate this adventure has no more places for me and my friends can play! Is there anyway I can get this adventure for me to DMing home play mode to my friends
Will we be able to request future chapters of AoA?  I'm getting a "Page Not Found" error when following the link given.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I asked Dave about that. Chapter One has officially been retired. Chapter Two should be available in October and Chapter Three shortly thereafter.

I know this is a bit hard on folks. The window for distribution is tight. On the other hand, that is actually WotC being pretty nice about letting us distribute adventures. The original premise of the campaign was no distribution outside of cons, but was relaxed in limited fashion based on people really wanting to run them outside of cons. Further adjustments in 2012 may be possible.

I understand, but I could not get a pdf of adventure with which I can DMing for my friends?
Hi all,

Chapter two is now available for home play from our Adventure Request page. It will be available through December 15th before retiring.

Chapter three will be available for home play after the D&DXP convention (where we will have Chapter 3 and the all new Chapter 4!).

Just about wrapping up my FR campaign in epic fashion and I'm going to run a DS campaign next. Ive been reading a lot of adventures and source material and on a whim i ordered AOA chapter 2. I have to say its amazing! One of the best published adventures I've seen. And Ive been a DM for 32 yrs!! However, now I really want to start the adventure with chapter one. I've seen that it's been retired,is there no way to get a copy? from the web sight summary I have the basic gist of what is supposed to happen and i guess i could design it on my own.....but chapter 2 really impressed me and I'd like to run Chapter one as it was intended.
Glad to hear you like it, thanks! The admins and authors worked really hard on those and we had some fantastic authors. I think Chapter Two in particular is very good for a home game, giving you more time to enjoy the encounters (and for DMs to improvise for fun).

We just chose our authors for Chapter Four, and we have a few return authors as well as new ones. We are really excited about what will be coming out at DDXP and then beyond in 2012!

Chapter One is retired and there is no way to distribute the adventure (please, please, please refrain from any distribution). We enjoy great flexibility in authoring the adventures and I'm thankful for that, but it does mean a limited distribution window. However, we have considered in the future having a way to catch players up. We are also writing each year so it can largely stand on its own if you are just starting.

I've just spotted this, but as the first section appears to be retired it seems I'm a bit late...

Should the original adventures be made available I would be interested.

Daniel. 
I've just spotted this, but as the first section appears to be retired it seems I'm a bit late...

Should the original adventures be made available I would be interested.

Daniel. 

I really don't think earlier chapters will be released. This isn't something we control, and we feel fortunate that we are allowed to distribute them in this limited maner instead of it being solely a con-driven program. In addition, we want players to be roughly on the same page progression-wise.

Chapter 2 can work on its own, especially if you download the summary from the adventure request page and use that as backstory for the PCs.

Chapter 2 will retire Dec 15th, so if you are interested please order the adventures before they retire!

Fair enough, I'll take a look. Smile

Cheers,

Daniel.
I want to remind everyone that Ashes of Athas chapter 2 will be retired from home play on December 15th. Please go to www.baldmangames.com/aoaadvreq/ to request the adventures for home play before that time!

I was approved on 11/21 but haven't received the adventure yet, is there something I need to do before the deadline?  Thanks.
I was approved on 11/21 but haven't received the adventure yet, is there something I need to do before the deadline?  Thanks.

I'll prompt Dave. You should not need anything else if you were approved.