Is Gamma World Dead?

47 posts / 0 new
Last post

a Yexil, a pistol-packin' Orlen, and a Glow Dragon, all of which are difficult to replicate with standard fantasy minis.)

Encounter packs of Gren, Gallus Gallus, Porkers - both on and off bikes - and maybe Hoops would also be nice to have. What's that? Pah. A guy can dream, can't he?

If you head over to the Miniature Proxies thread, you should find some suitable minis to use. The only ones I've had difficulty with, myself, have been Hoops, but I'm working on that.

You could probably re-purpose some Usagi Yojimbo minis for hoops. More cartoony than what's in the book, but www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_P... should give you some starting point...
Technically, Gamma World isn't dead so long as it is still in print.

I'm fine with a limited product line.
I think the less-is-more approach is smarter. The splat-book approach is perfect for this edition.
A small book of new origins and creatures here, an adventure there, creature/props token sets and deck expansions thrown in. Maybe one of each of these a year?

If not, at least we know Gamma World won't suffer the same fate as 3E.
There will be no overkill/rules bloat or power creep.
And one can collect the entire product line on a smaller budget.

You could probably re-purpose some Usagi Yojimbo minis for hoops. More cartoony than what's in the book, but www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_P... should give you some starting point...

Gah... you really got my hopes up. Unfortunately, that site is completely sold out, and I haven't been able to locate another source for the darn things anywhere. I will have to keep checking eBay/Amazon from time to time, I guess.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
Star Wars Miniatures Gungans make respectable Hoop substitutes - and it gives me an excuse to shoot Jar Jar Binks (as if one needed an excuse)!

Gah... you really got my hopes up. Unfortunately, that site is completely sold out, and I haven't been able to locate another source for the darn things anywhere. I will have to keep checking eBay/Amazon from time to time, I guess.

For hoops, try checking this site...

*** EDITED TO STORE I ACTUALLY ORDERED FROM ***
ironwindmetals.com

You may also want to check out the available weapon sprues. DM-049 includes a chainsaw. Laughing

Kerry
Gamma World dead? Nah. They gave us the core and told us to go and play. There's booster packs available for more tech and you use the character generator for more opponents. I was originally worried there wouldn't be vast lists of critters but, as I started planning a campaign and checked the three books, I realized there's plenty of enemies to deal with especially once you get past the first few levels.

I find the Fallout video games give me inspiration in developing a campaign especially how to concieve quests and encounters. By the way if you think Gamma World doesn't have enough opponents count how many oppentents and critters Fallout has yet you feel satisfied each time you face them. Each of the separate games plus their downloadable content expansions give great ideas for creating unique locations, situations and encounters.

Gamma World is very different than D&D in game style. Best way I can put it; Gamma World is a playground compared to D&D being a stage production. Get wild and creative with GW for the fun of it. Don't world build. Think local, big and broad for background. Take an actual location's landmarks  and play them up for atmosphere but don't get super detailed. After that concentrate and focus on the players' 'here and now' of the adventure at hand. Soon you'll finish all ten levels and it's time to reset and play it again like a good video game.