Warlord Class Compendium - Is it legal to make one for this season?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Marshall is available, and the article discusses how it requires one of the two Heroes books to fully use. Does that make the Marshal legal for this season? I'm really curious and looking forward to the possibility of playing one.
Vancian magic needs to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure it will never appear in the core for Next. Vancian magic is purely for nostalgia. Nostalgia doesn't make bad mechanics good.
The Marshall is available, and the article discusses how it requires one of the two Heroes books to fully use. Does that make the Marshal legal for this season? I'm really curious and looking forward to the possibility of playing one.

I have read the article and have never seen where it says it requires one of the 2 Heroes of books.

The Marshal is the PHB1 Warlord presented in the Essentials style (i.e tables etc) and was to be released in the Character Compendium (now canceled) and is now being distibuted via DDi. It is not an Essentials class or book.

So unless something in next Seasons packet states otherwise the Class Compendium class presentations will not be legal for Encounters.

If you have DM's or an Organizer at your store that will allow you to use non-Essentials characters then you pretty much will have anything open to you.
This wasn't in the article directly, but taken from the intro page before you download the Warlord article:
"

Using Class Compendium with Other Sources

The game options presented in Class Compendium are designed to work with the options in other Dungeons & Dragons sources, whether in print or online. The series pre¬sents (sic) the rules you need to build characters of various classes, but it doesn’t include descriptions of character races, skills, or equipment. You’ll need Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, or the Player’s Handbook to complete your character. As always, the Rules Compendium provides the complete, most up-to-date rules for the core game."

The Marshal is definitely an Essentials build. So, I still think it should be legal. Yes, it's up to the DM running the tables (of which I was one, till I stepped down for an opportunity to play), but that should help show my point a bit better.

Vancian magic needs to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to be sure it will never appear in the core for Next. Vancian magic is purely for nostalgia. Nostalgia doesn't make bad mechanics good.
This wasn't in the article directly, but taken from the intro page before you download the Warlord article:
"

Using Class Compendium with Other Sources

The game options presented in Class Compendium are designed to work with the options in other Dungeons & Dragons sources, whether in print or online. The series pre¬sents (sic) the rules you need to build characters of various classes, but it doesn’t include descriptions of character races, skills, or equipment. You’ll need Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, or the Player’s Handbook to complete your character. As always, the Rules Compendium provides the complete, most up-to-date rules for the core game."

The Marshal is definitely an Essentials build. So, I still think it should be legal. Yes, it's up to the DM running the tables (of which I was one, till I stepped down for an opportunity to play), but that should help show my point a bit better.

You have to realize that Essentials is a set of 10 products, 2 of which contain all of the player resources (i.e classes etc). These are the only Essentials classes available. No more classes will be added to Essentials. You will however see further support for the Esentials classes (i.e Pyromancer, Staff Knight, Earth Domain etc) as well as support for the PHB series characters.

The Class Compendium and every book we will see from here on out that provides builds etc for PHB series or Esentials series classes will all have the same format that was introduced in the Essentials line (the progression tables and all the how to stuff for the class/build). Which makes sense since WOTC's intent was that Essentials be the gateway into D&D for many people and by keeping the same format from Essentials to the new books will make it easier for these people to transition and pickup these new books.

So as I stated before unless you have a DM or Organizer that is willing to allow you to play a non-Essentials class then you will have to wait for something else to play that Warlord.
From the creating characters rules for this season of Encounters:

This season, you can choose character options from any of the following rules sources:

I would argue that the Warlord article offering the Marshall as an Essentials version of the Warlord constitutes an article that supports the Essentials books, and therefore should be legal without having to ask for direct permission of the DM to use it. We already know the Executioner Assassin is legal without DM permission as it's an Essentials version of the DDi Shadow-only Assassin. I'm arguing this article is basically the same. It has a full Essentials write-up for all three tiers of play. If it was examples only, say maybe 3 to 5 levels, on how to make the original non-Essential versions of classes from the PHB into Essentials-flavored, I wouldn't even ask. But it has all 30 and is written more-or-less as if it were in an actual Heroes of X book.

Next season, we get to use Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, and Heroes of Shadow (which we know full well will contain Essentials built classes, but still be a hardcover book like the original PHB). Safe bet the articles will once again be legal. I don't see how your argument that it wasn't in an Essentials branded book holds any weight.

While I'm sure my DM would allow it, and having been a DM for all the previous seasons, I would allow it without thought. It's an Essentials build in a Dragon magazine article. The rules for creation are pretty clear that makes it legal.

The real reason I asked is because we're 2 chapters deep into the season. It would be a late entry, but I want to confirm my belief that is legal to play. It may be a level 1 Marshall (unless the DM was awfully kind and bumped it to 3), but I still want to be sure before I rush off to build one.
I would argue that the Warlord article offering the Marshall as an Essentials version of the Warlord constitutes an article that supports the Essentials books, and therefore should be legal without having to ask for direct permission of the DM to use it.

I will try to find the source to reference it, but WotC was pretty specific earlier this season by stating that "Only DDi Articles with 'this' specific logo in the title, head of the article" would be Essentials/Encounters usable references.  They did not modify the older Assassin but did state that all future articles would have it and that only those in the future would be Essentials/Encounters usable.
Advanced Level TO
From the creating characters rules for this season of Encounters:

This season, you can choose character options from any of the following rules sources:

It has a full Essentials write-up for all three tiers of play. If it was examples only, say maybe 3 to 5 levels, on how to make the original non-Essential versions of classes from the PHB into Essentials-flavored, I wouldn't even ask. But it has all 30 and is written more-or-less as if it were in an actual Heroes of X book.

WOTC stated that all future content after the release of Essentials would follow Essentials styling. Just because it is presented in Essentials styling does not make it an Essentials Class nor does it make it support for either of the above 2 books.

And as was stated by allgeek above all Essentials Dragon articles will have a Heroes of X marking on them.
[If you have DM's or an Organizer at your store that will allow you to use non-Essentials characters then you pretty much will have anything open to you.

This sums it up bestt, check with your DM/Organizer... some places are more focused on having a good turn out and have all the players really enjoy themselves than in forcing players into an 'Essentials' mandated class/role.
I've never directly turned someone away for not having an Essentials character, but I make it explicitly clear that you get more RP for having one, and that the Encounters program encourages using them to 'try out' something new. I've even suggested builds and always have the books with me to try and encourage folks to leave their comfort zones and CharOp sheets behind and just have fun with it.
https://twitter.com/#!/Nullzone42
The printed DM materials include the Class Compendium as a valid source for characters.  The Marshal is the same class as would have been in the Class Compendium had it not been cancelled. 

It would seem strange to exclude it. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!