Gamma World FAQ + ask a simple question

216 posts / 0 new
Last post
Three Newbie questions here:

1. What does it mean to trade down an action. On your turn you can take 3 actions, a standard, a movement and a minor action. If I want to trade my standard action for a movement action, does that mean I take 2 movement actions and 1 minor action?

2. What's the point of group telepathy in combat? I can understand between encounters when it's more roleplaying, but during combat, why do I need a power to talk to somebody who's 10 squares away (or sitting across the table from me)?

3. Besides leveling up, what is the difference between a short and extended rest? I know in D&D the difference is that you get your surges back during an extended rest, but since there aren't any surges here aren't the two nearly the same except for the leveling part?

1. Yes. So if you want to "double move" you can do exactly what you suggest there.

2. You probably don't need it most of the time, but it could be useful for setting up strategies without the bad guys listening in. "I'll delay my attack until after Tom gets out of the way." "OH REALLY says the Ark right in front of you." "...oops."

3. You also reshuffle/rebuild Omega Tech and Alpha Mutations after an extended rest.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Two more newbies question. I know this is probably obvious but from reading through the book once I couldn't really figure out the answer to this:

1. Do monsters go through the whole death saving throw thing when their HP hits zero? Or is that only for characters? How about second winds?

2. Do you automatically get opportunity attacks against an adjacent foe using an area attack? Then arent close burst 1 and close blast 2 attacks rarely used since you almost always get an opportunity attack used against you?
Two more newbies question. I know this is probably obvious but from reading through the book once I couldn't really figure out the answer to this:

1. Do monsters go through the whole death saving throw thing when their HP hits zero? Or is that only for characters? How about second winds?

2. Do you automatically get opportunity attacks against an adjacent foe using an area attack? Then arent close burst 1 and close blast 2 attacks rarely used since you almost always get an opportunity attack used against you?

1. No.  Monsters die at zero, and monsters do not have second winds unless their stat block expressly states they do.

2. Close Attacks aren't Area attacks.  Attacks come in four varieties: Area, Close, Melee, and Ranged and  can only be one of them.  Area and Ranged attacks provoke, Melee and Close attacks do not.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The first aid kit in FIFG says that you have a +1 science check for healing. I didn't see any further explanation about this. Is this a standard or minor action? How many hp do you get back?
The first aid kit in FIFG says that you have a +1 science check for healing. I didn't see any further explanation about this. Is this a standard or minor action? How many hp do you get back?

Presumably, the first aid kit description is referring to the Science check to stabilize a dying comrade (core rules, pp. 23). The actual action required to perform this stablization is not explicitly mentioned, but based on 4e D&D stablization, I say it requires a standard action (and I reflect this in my condition cards).

Kerry

do you have to take your movement action before your standard action or can you do it in reverse? Attack then move, or move then attack or does it matter?
do you have to take your movement action before your standard action or can you do it in reverse? Attack then move, or move then attack or does it matter?

Each character has one move action, one standard action, one minor action, and unlimited free actions per turn. The sequence of the actions is entirely up to the player.

Kerry

if a character gets knocked prone, then on their turn can they immediately get up as their move action? Like if a Yexil knocks you prone with wing buffet can you just get up immediately on your next turn?
if a character gets knocked prone, then on their turn can they immediately get up as their move action? Like if a Yexil knocks you prone with wing buffet can you just get up immediately on your next turn?

Yes, but that uses your entire move action, leaving you in the same square.

Kerry
Are there size rules in Gamma World?

There are rules for how much space a tiny/small/medium/large creature takes up. But are there rules for adjusting armorclass and such for being huge or small?
In GW/4e, there is no change in statistics for size.  Reach is "typical" and specified by the monster or creature in question, not automatic.

Small and medium are 1x1 square and 1 reach.  
Tiny is 1x1 square and 0 reach.  (Creatures can enter the space of a creature two sizes smaller than them, so this means that medium creatures may enter the space of a tiny creature, although this still provokes, as does any attempt to enter another creature's space.)
Large is a 2x2 square and 1-2 reach.
Huge is a 3x3 square and 1-2 reach.
Past that point is just gets silly.  :D 
Are there assist rules for skill checks in Gamma World? I can't find them..
Are there assist rules for skill checks in Gamma World? I can't find them..

I also could not find them.  Here's the relevant text from the 4E Rules Compendium:

AID AN ALLY’S SKILL OR ABILITY CHECK

Action: Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses a target adjacent to it.
DC: The creature makes a skill check or an ability check with a DC equal to 10 + one-half the creature’s level.
Success: The target gains a +2 bonus to the next check using the same skill or ability before the end of the assisting creature’s next turn.
Failure: The target takes a –1 penalty to the next check using the same skill or ability before the end of the assisting creature’s next turn. This penalty represents the distraction or interference caused by the failed assistance.

A creature can affect a particular check only once using the aid another action. However, up to four creatures can use aid another to affect a single check,  for a maximum bonus of +8 or a maximum penalty of –4. In certain circumstances, the DM might decide that only one, two, or three creatures can try to aid a check. For example, it is unlikely that four creatures can assist in picking a lock.

can you use mental push to make a monster attack himself?

This just came up in my game, recently.  I don't like it, personally, but I let it slide - wanted to let the player do /something/ at that point.  It does say 'a creature of your choice' rather than '/another/ creature of your choice...'

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

The "Legion of Gold Maps" Maps link in the 'Galleries Section' that should link to maps, actually takes you to the 'Legion_art.zip' file, wich is the same as the art file... any idea, when that link will be fixed, or an alternate provided so that we can actually down load the maps?

here is the problem page - it's the download link that is pointing to the wrong file:

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

That page's 'download' button points to the same place that the 'Art' page does; Found here:

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

They Both point to the file:

www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/galleries/...

HEy!  guess what! I did a little bit of 'guessing' and found the right link!  yay me, I feel all 'hacker ish' or something...

it is:

www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/galleries/...

--- It still needs changed on the pages though - they look fairly old though - how has no one noticed this yet?--

thanks,
You might want to add that you need to be a DnD Insider to be able to access that content.... and Im still not paying money for that

This just came up in my game, recently.  I don't like it, personally, but I let it slide - wanted to let the player do /something/ at that point.  It does say 'a creature of your choice' rather than '/another/ creature of your choice...'

Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea either, but it is completely legit.  You could houserule it to "adjacent" or something.

The concensus from the 4e Rules forum is that a dominated creature can be forced to attack itself. That doesn't seem very fun to me, but since most GW creatures don't have a ranged basic attack, they rarely have any other target (since they don't get to move before the attack). So disallowing self-attacks would typically make the mental push power useless (which is even less fun).

My own compromise was to disallow attacking themselves (only because it didn't seem fun), but allow them use their (at will) ranged attack (without provoking) even if it wasn't a basic attack (only because it seemed like fun).

Then it's definitely legal.
For Omega Tech Unstable Vibroblade the card states "Special: You can take ongoing 5 force damage (save ends) to make this power a melee 3 attack."

What is a "melee 3 attack"?

Thanks in advance.
For Omega Tech Unstable Vibroblade the card states "Special: You can take ongoing 5 force damage (save ends) to make this power a melee 3 attack."

What is a "melee 3 attack"?

Thanks in advance.

That refers to the range. Most melee powers are range "melee 1" which means you can attack someone one square away, i.e. an adjacent square.

A melee 3 power has what D&D calls "reach," meaning you can attack enemies up to 3 squares away. It's still a melee attack -- think of someone stretchy like Plastic Man punching you with his fist -- so rules which apply to ranged attacks don't apply to it, only melee attack rules. One of the main distinctions is that melee attacks don't provoke opportunity attacks like ranged attacks do.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Do you add half levels to attack rolls?

Page 18: Making Attacks
Attack Roll: roll a d20 and add your attack modifier. Your attack modifier is described in the power you're using, but it's typically your key ability modifier + your level.

My suggestion: read the book, you'd be surprised what's actually not missing.

Unlike D&D, you don't add half levels; you add your full level to your attack as indicated on the power description or on the Alpha or Omega card.

Basic attacks (see page 75 of D&D Gamma World) add your level to the attack roll, and your level to the damage roll.
New to GMing entirely and our group is new to Gamma World, but how do you split exp in an encounter?  For the first sample GW encounter we had a party of 3 level 1s.  They all fought the two badders and porkers but only two people got kills.  They both killed one of each monster.  How do we split the exp fairly?

Furthermore, they're going to use these characters saved EQ, stats and all, in a campaign I'm working on along with 2-3 more new players.  How do I scale enemies, etc, appropriately?

What about making original enemies?  For now I'm just considering creating "original" monsters and just using the basic monsters/stats/abilities that suit whatever creatures I have them encounter.

And last, but not least, is there an effective way to work out some kind of vehicle combat of any kind?
how do you split exp in an encounter?

Evenly. Every player that was at the table gets an equal share regardless of how many kills they got... getting the fun of a kill is it's own reward.

Furthermore, they're going to use these characters saved EQ, stats and all, in a campaign I'm working on along with 2-3 more new players.  How do I scale enemies, etc, appropriately?

Start the new players with the same XP as everyone else so that they can level at the same time.

I'm just considering creating "original" monsters and just using the basic monsters/stats/abilities that suit whatever creatures I have them encounter.

That'll work. If you've exhausted the available GW stats, you could maybe start using D&D creatures... but the GW supplements should probably sustain you longer than a campaign will last.

is there an effective way to work out some kind of vehicle combat of any kind?

Here

Encounters have XP budgets. Take the XP for a normal monster of the party's level, and multiply it by the number of players. That's the XP budget for an equal-level encounter. So, for a 3-man party at level 1, this would be 300 XP. A 6-man party could take on double that.

You can fill this budget however you like - elite monsters (XP equal to 2 normal monsters) are my personal favorite, I try to include one in nearly every combat. Minions (XP equal to 1/4th of a normal monster) are another easy way of spicing up encounters.

Encounters of lower level are easier, encounters of higher level are harder. Try not to use too many encounters more than 3 levels over the party, unless you enjoy killing your player's characters. Gamma World can be surprisingly deadly if you roll a few criticals in a row.
Question about Encounter Omega Tech cards: Am I allowed to use each item only once per encounter - even a weapon such as a fusion or blaster rifle? In other words - if I fire a blaster rifle Omega tech item once per encounter, I CANNOT use it any more during that encounter? Thanks for any help.
Question about Encounter Omega Tech cards: Am I allowed to use each item only once per encounter - even a weapon such as a fusion or blaster rifle? In other words - if I fire a blaster rifle Omega tech item once per encounter, I CANNOT use it any more during that encounter? Thanks for any help.

As I understand it:

Generally, the item will have a power, and the power will say either 'at will' or 'encounter.'  The item may or may not have a 'benefit' instead if or in addition to a power:

• Benefits aply the whole time you have the item readied.  Recieving a benefit, alone, does not force an omega charge check

• At-wills can be used as often as you like in the encounter, but you 'tap' the Omega Card when you first use the at-will, and make an omega charge check even if you only use it once, or there's an encounter power that you never used. 

• An encounter power can be used only once, and you make an omega charge check at the end.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Hey, a quick question about the Simian utility Monkey Leap. It's asking for an Athletics check, so as a DM I set the DC to what the player wants his leap to do? I'm assuming 'jump forward 5 squares' would be an  DC 25 (5DC per square) right?

Would that feasibly change (or is it fair to) for players who decide to go 'I'll jump off that wall onto that wall, and up onto the platform' or similar into a harder DC requirement?

I'd probably make wall jumping be a high-moderate athletics check (perhaps an moderate-easy check at higher levels) that gets more difficult for each consescutive wall jump you perform. Each successful wall jump would probably lower the DC to jump vertically by 2 or 5 (your call).

So with a running start, a successful wall jump will allow a PC to jump an extra 5 ft vertically (if you're giving them a +5 bonus).

However, I don't think that wall jumping would help with horizontal jump distance. In this case, if a PC tried to wall jump with a running start, I would half any remaining horizontal distance from their jump check after they perform the wall jump. An exception might be if they were jumping almost parallel with the wall.
Thanks, Cazra.

Wheeled crit allows a full move speed as shifting, felinoid 3 squares as shifting but with "free action" tagged. Because wheeled says "you can then shift your speed ..." does that imply that if you have already moved that turn, that this rider is wasted?

Edit: Customer Service says it is a free move in addition to your movement. It will also stack with Felinoid for a 11 square shift + prone on a critical at level 6 onwards.

Monster Stats Question:
Even though it is not listed, I assume that the higher level creature of the same type will have the powers listed for the lower level creature.  For example, I assume that the Level 5 Hoop Warchief also has the Big Hop and the Transmuting Touch power of the Level 3 Hoop Warrior.

Would someone confirm this?

Thanks.
Monster Stats Question:
Even though it is not listed, I assume that the higher level creature of the same type will have the powers listed for the lower level creature.  For example, I assume that the Level 5 Hoop Warchief also has the Big Hop and the Transmuting Touch power of the Level 3 Hoop Warrior.

Thanks.

Nope.  The monster's stat blocks are complete unto themselves.  If it doesn't have that power listed, it doesn't have that power.
Monster Stats Question:

Thanks.

Generally speaking, unless the monster stat block has those powers, then the monster doesn't have those powers.

Consider that a level 5 hoop is more experienced than the level 3 hoop and may have retrained to something else.

I haven't heard of monster stat blocks stacking before and could be wrong though.
OK, this is probably a very simple question, but the missus and I have been puzzling over the books all morning with no result. We've made up some Gamma World characters, and they all list both an Unarmed Quick Attack and an Unarmed Powerful attack. What's the difference between the two? I assumed that the Powerful hit harder but was less likely to hit, but in some cases the Powerful attack is actually more likely to hit. Is one a standard action and one a minor or something?

As I say, we've probably missed something really basic here, but we can't for the life of us figure out what...
OK, this is probably a very simple question, but the missus and I have been puzzling over the books all morning with no result. We've made up some Gamma World characters, and they all list both an Unarmed Quick Attack and an Unarmed Powerful attack. What's the difference between the two? I assumed that the Powerful hit harder but was less likely to hit, but in some cases the Powerful attack is actually more likely to hit. Is one a standard action and one a minor or something?

As I say, we've probably missed something really basic here, but we can't for the life of us figure out what...

If you're a character who uses light weapons -- in other words, higher Dex or Int -- you'll want to use a quick attack. If you use heavy weapons, you'll want to use a powerful attack.

They're both standard actions, but each one is more useful for a different type of character. If you have 18 Dex, hit with a quick attack: +8 vs AC, 1d4+5. If you have 18 Str, hit with a powerful attack: +7 vs AC, 1d8+5.