Jason Voorhees

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my campaign I'm getting to a point where the heroes will have to go on a bit of scavenger hunt looking for the parts to help build a device that will protect the city.  One of the places they will end up is going to be an abandoned park where an alien craft has crashed in the lake.  What they don't know is that an unstoppable killing machine is guarding the woods.  I've actually started on a model I plan on using, and I have a few ideas on how I wanted to build him.

Potential origins
Reanimated Giant - Regenitive abilities + Double Strength 
Regenerator Giant - Regenitive Abilites + Constitution Strength 
Reanimated Regenerator - Double Reginitive Abilites with Strength and Consititution

Which do you all think better fits Jason Voorhees?

Of those, Reanimated Regenerator fits my vision of Jason best. But I really like the idea of Reanimated Nightmare even more. Sliding his opponents all over the place, inducing fear, and still regenerating. It also allows your monster to attack the PCs will, playing even more to that fear thing.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I thought about the nightmare option but it's either Int or Cha and neither of those really felt Jasonesque.  So I totally agree with you on that concept but the stats just don't work in my opinion.
Keep in mind that the stats mean pretty much jack-squat.  If Charisma is force of personality, the ability to manipulate people, and the fuel for resistance to psychic assault, then Jason is filled to the eyeballs with it.
Keep in mind that the stats mean pretty much jack-squat.  If Charisma is force of personality, the ability to manipulate people, and the fuel for resistance to psychic assault, then Jason is filled to the eyeballs with it.

I went ahead and double checked but your explenation for the Charisma Stat made sense.   Unfortunately Nightmare is Int based.
Uh... I got less for that one, but we really don't know much about Jason's intellect.  But he is pretty good at staging an ambush or putting together a trap, and one really can't argue with a better AC and Reflex.

That it makes him inexplicably good at Science, but who cares?  To be more direct, my point is that you can literally ignore ability scores and what they "mean" for a character, so long as it serves the greater purpose.  (If an NPC or monster, even moreso.)
Another great point.  What about speedster with reanimated? Reanimated makes you lose a speed, but speedster would give you an overall +1 and you could shift after an attack?  Not exaclty moving them around but he would basically strike and move?
Gammarized Jason Voorhees
Gammarized Jason Voorhees

This is the miniature I will be using for my Gammarized Jason Voorhees.  A heroclix hulk with custom hokey mask.  The reason I went with claws is because I didn't think a single machette blade would be threatening enough and I was worried about cutting and repositioning the hand.  So does it look wachy enough?
While I don't think it's as critical, in Gamma World, to stat PCs differently than NPC/Monsters, it's still probably a good idea.  If there's any chance that the PCs are going to face him as an enemy, at all, write him up as a Solo.  If he's just there for color don't write him up (just say 'Reanimated Regenerator' or whatever). 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

While I don't think it's as critical, in Gamma World, to stat PCs differently than NPC/Monsters, it's still probably a good idea.  If there's any chance that the PCs are going to face him as an enemy, at all, write him up as a Solo.  If he's just there for color don't write him up (just say 'Reanimated Regenerator' or whatever). 

Oh man, I totally forgot about that, I'll have to look into that.  I forgot 4e simplified that.  Thank you for the heads up.
I assumed you were statting him up as a monster and treating origins as themes (used to turn standard monsters into elites and solos, typically), so I totally support going that direction.

A creature built as a PC will go down like a lead balloon.
Are the rules for doing this in Gamma World, or the Monster Manual?  Also if I resubriced to DDI would the monster creator make this even easier or will it work with Gamma World stuff?

EDIT: Nevemind that article will be really helpful. 
They're actually in the DMG, but Oraibi was kind enough to sum them up (with a little extra gamma flavor) here as well. 

The Monster Builder will work for Gamma World monsters.  It's currently not being updated while they work on the web-based Adventure Tools, but it still functions perfectly well (in fact, you could subscribe for a single month and then just use the old Monster Builder indefinately). 
The Monster Builder will work for Gamma World monsters.  (in fact, you could subscribe for a single month and then just use the old Monster Builder indefinately). 

That's what I'm doing (did).  It works fine, but you do have to compromise on keywords - lightning instead of electrical, radiant for laser or radiation, etc...  There's an option to copy a monster stat block as rich text, you can paste it into a word processor and polish it.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Actually, you can just write keywords in, with the exception of the origin (natural, aberrant, etc) and type (humanoid, beast, etc).  (Thanks to Oraibi for pointing this out to me.)
What's the difference between making it elite, and making it solo?
What's the difference between making it elite, and making it solo?

In Monster Builder, the number of action points, although I think most "new format" solos also have a helluva lot more interrupt/reaction powers. And I would definitely give Mr. Voorhees his fair share of interrupts and reactions.

Here's an immediate reaction power to consider, inspired by nearly every "episode" of Friday the 13th:
Shish-ka-Bob-and-Bobby * Immediate Interrupt
Trigger: Whenever an enemy moves into a square that is both two squares away *and* adjacent to an enemy that is already adjacent to Jason, Jason can skewer both of them.
Attack vs the adjacent enemy (fill in the stats vs Reflex)
Hit: (damage) and make a secondary attack against the enemy that triggered the attack.
Secondary attack vs second enemy (fill in stats vs Reflex)
Hit: (damage)
Special: If both attacks hit, then both targets are immobilized until the start of Jason's next turn.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
An elite is the equivalent of 2 standard monsters, a solo is the equivalent of 5 standard monsters (that is, at least in theory, a full encounter for a party of 5 PCs).  Solos (particularly older ones) suffer a ton of issues accomplishing the goal of being a meaningful, challenging fight for a full party.  A lot of has been written on the subject (some of which you can find in my signature).  

Gamma World, Monster Manual 3, and Monster Vault solos do a lot better, but still sometimes need a little work. 
What do you all think about giving Jason two turns per round?  Instead of giving him extra actions per his initiative, just have him go at two seperate points.  In case I'm wording this poorly an example

Jason
Pc
Pc
Jason
Pc
Pc

Perfectly legit.  The Orlen is an elite that does this.  The Tembo, from Dark Sun, is a solo that operates 3 times per round.  They call it "the Hydra method" for fairly straightforward reasons.  (This is also an excellent tool for avoiding "condition lockdown" to which solos are extremely susceptible.)
I like the two-actions idea, and definitely agree that it should be at two different points in the initiative order. Rather than rolling twice for initiative, though, roll only once. Then have his second action take place at the exact half-way point *after* that first turn. Your example shows that, but doesn't describe it, so we might have already been thinking the same thing.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
I like the two-actions idea, and definitely agree that it should be at two different points in the initiative order. Rather than rolling twice for initiative, though, roll only once. Then have his second action take place at the exact half-way point *after* that first turn. Your example shows that, but doesn't describe it, so we might have already been thinking the same thing.

I was thinking about that, but wanted to see what others thought.  I felt it made sure he didn't act too soon or too late and made things less complicated, but I want it to still be fair to the PC's as well.  While my intention is to indeed hurt them, I don't want it to come off as this is the DM's PC he is unstoppable.
Also I have a PC who has the Gravitational control power which slows creatures it hits, is there a way to limit that powers effectivness or is that taking things too far?
No, you need to go at least that far.  Solos NEED to be able to shuck off conditions, otherwise they are completely dominated by players.  The Orlen and Tembo have a full set of actions on each of their initiative passes.  They also end any conditions on a specific list at the start of each of their turns.  

Another option I use on my solos AND elites (stolen from the links in my sig) is:

Brutal Shakeoff * At-Will
Trigger: Jason begins his turn.
Effect (No Action): Jason may take 5 damage to end any effect that a save can end, or 10 damage to end any effect.  Jason may end any number of effects in this manner.
No, you need to go at least that far.  Solos NEED to be able to shuck off conditions, otherwise they are completely dominated by players.  The Orlen and Tembo have a full set of actions on each of their initiative passes.  They also end any conditions on a specific list at the start of each of their turns.  

Another option I use on my solos AND elites (stolen from the links in my sig) is:

Brutal Shakeoff * At-Will
Effect (No Action): Jason may take 5 damage to end any effect that a save can end, or 10 damage to end any effect.  Jason may end any number of effects in this manner.

I've started reading more of the articles from your sig line, that ability is perfect, it feels like it doesn't totally nerf the players abilities but still allows them to do damage in some for or another.
So I'm trying to use the Adventure Tools to create my Jason monster.  I'm having troubles though.  The Gravorg from LoG was what I wanted to use as a base, but I can't find it.  So now I'm trying to just create a new monster, but I don't know exactly how this works, the stats seem to just be based on the type of monster I made it, but the attack value seems to have no effect on xp value. 
First, Gamma World monsters aren't in the Adventure Tools or Compendium and apparently there are no plans to put them there, but at least you can still create your own.

Secondly, XP is based on level and secondary role (standard, minion, elite, solo), nothing else.  There's really no need to tweak it.

Third, stats are based on level and primary role (with occasional secondary role modifications), but those are just average numbers, which is why they have the "high/low" dropdowns, as well as the manual entry option.  Just start with the numbers they give you and tweak up or down as appropriate.  Try to stay within 1 or 2 with attack numbers and defense values.  Use other monsters in a similar role (if you're making a level 6 solo, look for other level 6 solos) for comparison.

Since you have access to the Compendium, search for D&D creatures in the same level and role, but narrow your search to Monster Manual 3 and Monster Vault, or you might get artificially low numbers.  Monster Vault critters are very well designed: many elites and solos have great examples of condition protection and action economy fixes (in particular, look at the "Instinctive Action" on all the dragons).
After fiddeling around with the monster builder this is what I have come up with.

My plan is to have the heroes enter the woods, encounter low level first form of Jason (using a miniature from the forest of fear game) They will easily dispatch of him with whatever attack they use first.  After that Gamma Jason will mutate out of his corpse.

Jason Level 2 Solo Brute

Large natural humanoid (human) XP 625
HP 160; Bloodied 80
Regeneration 5 
AC 18; Fortitude 14; Reflex 16; Will 15
Speed 7 Saving Throws +8 Initiative +10 Perception +9 Darkvision

Traits
Now you see him, now you don't.
Jason becomes invisible whenever he starts his turn without an enemy adjacent to him.  The invisibility last until the end of his next turn or until he attacks.

Standard Actions
Melee Machete (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs. AC; A nice catch all tool.  It can clear a path, dice your food, or eviserate scantily clad teenagers when they take a walk alone in your woods.
Hit: 2d8 + 0 physical damage (crit 4d8).
Melee Gratuitous Violence (weapon) • Recharge 5
Attack: Melee 1 (one or two creatures); +7 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d12 + 4 physical damage (crit 1d12 + 16), and the target is dazed until the end of Jason’s next turn.
Melee Surprise Slash • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature that cannot see Jason at the start of Jason's turn); +9 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 3 physical damage, and the target falls prone.

Move Actions
Out of Sight • Recharge 5 6
Effect: Jason teleports up to 7 squares away.  This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Triggered Actions
Brutal Shakeoff • At-Will
Effect (Free): Jason may take 5 damage to end any effect that a save can end, or 10 damage to end any effect.  Jason may end any number of effects in this manner.

Str 19 (+5) Dex 16 (+4) Wis 15 (+3)Con 16 (+4) Int 4 (–2) Cha 11 (+1)
Alignment Evil     Languages Common
© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.
Thoughts:

• Replace "invisible" with "hidden" in NYSH,NYD.  Invisible is different from hidden and hidden is what you want.  Creatures that are invisible but NOT hidden can still be attacked (albeit with a -5 for total concealment).  See The Rules of Hidden Club.

• Drop Surprise Slash and put a clause in Melee Machete that he it's "+X vs. AC; 4d8 physical damage if Jason was hidden from the target when he attacked."  Less to keep track of.

• Go for bigger static modifiers to your damage expressions - you definitely don't want this guy getting boned by a couple bad rolls.

• Not a big deal, but teleport already doesn't provoke OAs, so you don't need to include that line.

• Keep his saving throw bonus at +5.  This is solo standard and no monsters currently have any sort of modification to that.  Brutal Shakeoff gives him the protection he needs.

• Give him some sort of "more dangerous when bloodied" power.  Maybe something like "Palpable Malice (Aura 1) Any enemy that ends its turn in the aura takes 5 psychic damage.  When bloodied, the aura size increases to 3."

Those were all great ideas, I will incorporate them in later and repost the new form.  ThanksLaughing
Oh, I forgot about it since we got so far, but definitely consider adapting powers from the Nightmare or Reanimated origins onto this guy.  He should do at least one "psychic damage + push" type attack.

Jason   Level 2 Solo Brute
Large natural humanoid (human)        XP 625
HP 160; Bloodied 80
Regeneration 3
AC 18; Fortitude 14; Reflex 16; Will 15
Speed 7
Saving Throws +5; Initiative +10
Perception +9
Darkvision

Traits
Now you see him, now you don't.
Jason becomes hidden whenever he starts his turn without an enemy adjacent to him.  He stays hidden until the end of his next turn or until he attacks.

Aura Palpable Malice • Aura 1
Any enemy that enters the aura takes a -2 to all attack rolls directed towards Jason, Will Save ends.

Standard Actions
Melee 1 Machete (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +7 vs. AC; A nice catch all tool.  It can clear a path, dice your food, or eviserate scantily clad teenagers when they take a walk alone in your woods.
Hit: 2d8 + 0 physical damage (crit 4d8). 4d8 physical damage if Jason was hidden from the target when he attacked.

Melee 1 Gratuitous Violence (weapon) • Recharge 5 6
Attack: Melee 1 (one or two creatures); +7 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d12 + 4 physical damage (crit 1d12 + 16), and the target is dazed until the end of Jason’s next turn.

Terrifying Presence • At-Will
Attack: Range 5; +7 vs. Will; Jason's terrifying presence hits his victims at a primal level, they turn to run, but they never get away.
Hit: 1d6 + 4.

Move Actions
Out of sight • Recharge
Effect: Jason teleports up to 7 squares away.

Triggered Actions
Brutal Shakeoff • At-Will
Effect (Free): Jason may take 5 damage to end any effect that a save can end, or 10 damage to end any effect.  Jason may end any number of effects in this manner.

Str 19 (+5)       Dex 16 (+4)     Wis 15 (+3)
Con 16 (+4)     Int 4 (–2)         Cha 11 (+1)

For the machete attack, I would edit the line as follows:

Hit: 2d8 + 0 physical damage (crit 4d8). 4d8 physical damage if Jason was hidden from the target when he attacked.

To:
Hit: 2d8 + 0 physical damage (crit +2d8). 4d8 physical damage if Jason was hidden from the target when he attacked.

As originally written, it looks like a crit and a hidden hit do the same damage *and* don't stack. I am assuming you intend for them to stack.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Thanks for the heads up.  I'll fix that too.
Okay I've made the corrections (not wanting to post them again due to how long it takes to reformat everything) but I need one last piece of advise.  How should Jason handle Flyers?
I mean, if it's just the hawkoid, they suffer enough for that flight so I wouldn't worry about it.

Otherwise, a ranged version of his melee basic should be sufficient.  I haven't ever actually watched a Jason movie, so I don't know if he ever throws a weapon.  As a generic concept, the idea of, say, throwing a chain and pulling a distant opponent wouldn't be bad.  (Close burst 10, one enemy in burst, low damage and pull 10 squares, for instance.)
I too would just let him throw something. A harpoon, spear, or even his machete.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Okay I've made the corrections (not wanting to post them again due to how long it takes to reformat everything) but I need one last piece of advise.  How should Jason handle Flyers?

How about a chain that pulls victims to him?

Kerry
I love the chain and pull idea.  

As for Jason in the movies, he does indeed throw things. 
He used a harpoon gun in one of them...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
He used a harpoon gun in one of them...

If I recall, it skewered a pair of co-eds going at it.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
Sign In to post comments