Play by Post/E-mail Gamma World

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dubmaster and I were talking about doing this. We could probably do it here on the forum. Any other interest?
You wanna DM or should I?
Why did the hoop cross the road?
You should do it. I have another VT game going (when the VT is back up) and I am supposed to run a live game of some sort soon.
I'm in.  How we rollin' this thang?  (I apologize profusely for the previous sentence.)
I would be more than happy to DM, unless someone else wants to... otherwise start rolling up your PCs...
If you want to "keep it honest," you can have players roll on Invisible Castle and put a specific campaign name in (you can also set up a campaign page but it isn't necessary to get the "find all rolls from campaign X" functionality).
Doctor Phobic.

He's a corpse-like, radioactive wild nano addict. When he isn't trying to get high, he's trying to find ancient junk to play around with. Doctor Phobic is your friend.

...or we could do that, which I now approve of, having rolled a character with Gelatinous, my second favorite origin after Rat Swarm.

Meet Kid Viscous, a sentient mass of residual sludge that makes his home in a small metal dinghy, carried on his back like a shell.  When he's not storing shiny objects in his reeking innards, he's... well, he's pretty much always storing shiny objects in his reeking innards.

Character artwork for Mud Bath by Peter Pagano:
Mud Bath by Peter Pagano (peterpagano.com)
In my IRL game, the guy who rolled a rat swarm also carries around a dingy. Then, this other player kept insisting on being carried in it.
In my IRL game, the guy who rolled a rat swarm also carries around a dingy. Then, this other player kept insisting on being carried in it.

That's the risk you take when assuming the burden of dingy ownership.

That's the risk you take when assuming the burden of dingy ownership.

*nods sagely*

Ooh, This sounds fun. I'll roll someone up shortly!
How do we get this bad boy rolling?  I don't want to clutter the forum, but maybe another campaign specific thread.  I would suggest a group, but the current forum software doesn't publicize those very well.
I think making a group would be fine once we have enough players. We don't really need to publicize once we have a group. If people want to join in and read posts, that's fine, but what else do we need publicity for?
Publicity wasn't really the word I was looking for.  I just like to keep threads like that in public spaces, since activity begets activity.  *shrug*
As soon as we have all our players we, I mean I, can start writing... and we'll go from there. I figured we can all do our own dice rolls, and go on the honesty system, and report what we roll when needed. When we come to combat Ill call out what map were using, hopefully we all have the boxed sets... if not let know beforehand,and we can all have our own one set up at home and all see whats happening physically with tokens while I fill in the rest... any other suggestions?

Im just gonna need another day or two to get ready to begin...
I'm not sure how the maps will work. I'll look at them, but I won't leave them set up permanently as I need them for live games. Other than that, it sounds good.
I also figured posting our game here for all to see would generate more interest, and who knows... there could be 3 or 4 PBEM games going at once eventually.

...and it'll just be fun to read.
I also figured posting our game here for all to see would generate more interest, and who knows... there could be 3 or 4 PBEM games going at once eventually.

...and it'll just be fun to read.

There's no reading in Gamma World.

....freakin' sleeth....

I'm not sure how the maps will work. I'll look at them, but I won't leave them set up permanently as I need them for live games. Other than that, it sounds good.

Thats what digital cameras are for my friend...

An excellent idea. Alas, I do not have one. I suppose you mean you'll take the pics, yeah? Then post them like the battle mat?

An excellent idea. Alas, I do not have one. I suppose you mean you'll take the pics, yeah? Then post them like the battle mat?

I could... or we could it all by description... like I used to do with D&D when I was a kid... couldnt afford the mini's... so it was all described with distances by the DM, and we each took notes for ourselves with them and made our own maps and kept track as we explored...

We should get this all figured out before we start...
Pilzbeben, the Fungoid Seismic... description/backstory soonish.

I'm in, if there is room

Spider Monkey (Arachnid / Simian)

I can't get my character sheet to look right so I will mess with it when I get home.

I could... or we could it all by description... like I used to do with D&D when I was a kid... couldnt afford the mini's... so it was all described with distances by the DM, and we each took notes for ourselves with them and made our own maps and kept track as we explored...

Just label the grid, tell us the map, pick a corner and apply coordinates.  Put the coordinates down in the posts as need be.  Those of us with DDI could even reference the map on the website.

I'm also okay with old-school imagination-style, I just really love the tactical aspect of 4e. 

The more I look around, the more I'm convinced I need to create an asynchronous web-based battlemat app.
I'm in, if there is room

Spider Monkey (Arachnid / Simian)

I can't get my character sheet to look right so I will mess with it when I get home.

Theres plenty of room...

Just label the grid, tell us the map, pick a corner and apply coordinates.  Put the coordinates down in the posts as need be.  Those of us with DDI could even reference the map on the website.

I'm also okay with old-school imagination-style, I just really love the tactical aspect of 4e. 

The more I look around, the more I'm convinced I need to create an asynchronous web-based battlemat app.

I think Ill just use my map and post pics on the thread - if possible...
I found an online, mostly asynchronous battlemap here: www.rpgtonight.com/

It's pretty functional but man it's ugly.
I found an online, mostly asynchronous battlemap here: www.rpgtonight.com/

It's pretty functional but man it's ugly.

looks cool... however I dont want to take more time to figure something new... Id rather use existing maps and the grid system you suggested... along with digital pictures Ill be posting should be fine...

I want to get started tonite or tomorrow with the opening... and then all of the PCs can respond as you will - as long as we all post once or twice a day... it should move at a good pace... and keep in mind that during encounters or when being stealthy... send each other private messages if its something the DM shouldnt hear.
There are things the DM shouldn't hear?  

How do you feel about weapons that serve as both melee and ranged?  (In Kid Viscous' case, a boat anchor on a chain that he also throws.  If not, I can simply use the standard weapon swapping actions and flavor it as winding up to throw or pulling back to retrieve it.)

Normally, I'm not all up on house rules or custom content, but I've made some big exceptions myself for Gamma World.  So how about Oraibi's Weapon Shoppe or Glimm's Armor Customization?  

Naturally, I have no problem playing everything vanilla.  
Do whatever floats your boat... within reason. If hes swinging an anchor on a chain (pretty cool) its gonna probably limit his movement on the same turn... like I said within reason...

We have 4 PCs so far... you guys need to let me some basic things about the party... how are you all moving together... on foot... in the truck... or whatever.

And whos got the beers among you... never know... might run into some brubba's.
So far we have a truck (but no fuel), a wagon (but no animals), a canoe (but no paddles), a tent, and two six-packs between us, pending Spider-Monkey's equipment.  

Unless the truck comes with fuel, in which case we put the tent on the wagon, attach the wagon to the truck, and sit in the bed of the truck, in the canoe, with the beer.
Camera, digital, Compass, Crowbar, Water purifier (water not included), Night-vision goggles, Compass

Was the equipment the builder rolled for me. So no horse and no fuel. I do have 2 compasses if we ever get lost. Cool
Well, I have matches... maybe we can just burn the truck for the insurance money, yeah? I'm sure a sleeth somewhere is selling insurance...
Jon, do you know how to program a battle map? You know Obj C, perchance?

I might could make a still to turn the beer into ethanol for the truck. Huh? Come on.... I'm a Doctor..... 
Well, I have matches... maybe we can just burn the truck for the insurance money, yeah? I'm sure a sleeth somewhere is selling insurance...

Insurance went down with the Late, Great American Empire.
Insurance went down with the Late, Great American Empire.

I'm sure it still exists! Some ideas never die... Although, perhaps its more like paying protection now... hmm... not so good a plan.

I'm going to have myself a revolver, a Colt Peacemaker, I think. I haven't decided what my melee weapon is yet.
When are we getting started, kids?

Im sorry, I wanted to get started last night... but both my kids have had fevers... and my wifes working doubles at the hospital all weekend. I will get it going either late tonite or tomorrow morning... depending on how much attention my little ones need.

Ive got a great story for you guys in store, and I hope you like robots...

Im sorry, I wanted to get started last night... but both my kids have had fevers... I will get it going either late tonite or tomorrow morning... depending on how much attention my little ones need.

Roll them up as plague carrying mutants! Doctor Phobic is immune to plague!

Hoep they feel better soon.

Chris 
Sign In to post comments