Reminder on Fortune Cards and Twitter Buffs

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you are an organizer or DM, you will want to review the rules for Fortune Cards.

Rules for how to play and build decks, as well as product info.

Rules for how the Twitter buffs work. (Click on the Twitter Buffs section). You will want a copy of the Twitter buffs, since each will be a trigger word that you look up in the document to see what it does.

Fortune Cards are a new product, and one which may cater to some demographics more than others. To say it plainly, some of your players/DMs (maybe even you) may have a strong like or dislike for the cards. Regardless, our job as organizers and DMs is to promote the game of D&D (which we love and want to see do well). Just as portraying an encounter negatively can decrease the players' enjoyment, being negative about the cards can hurt the game and the store. After the game, come to the forums and share how it went so that WotC gets good constructive feedback.

I urge everyone to keep an open mind and just help everyone have fun. If the challenge of an encounter is ever insufficient, for any reason, use the weak/strong guidance in the adventure to tailor the challenge back to a fun level for the table.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I personally would love it if the twitter buffs moved to a new twitter account.  For me I am playing enounters for the first time this season but since I follow @wizards_dnd I have just had some elements of the adventure revealed.  These spoilers take away some of the fun factor of an adventure.

When I did not play encounters I stopped following @wizards_dnd for quite awhile due to the spam of twitter buffs.

Would be great if there was a new twitter account that could be followed just for the buffs and then mention could be made on the @wizards_dnd account that the new buffs are being posted etc.
I may be mistaken, but I thought they removed Story content from the Twitter Buffs and they are now 1 Sentance Long keywords that trigger Fortune Card conditions?!?!?
Advanced Level TO
@Aplhastream1: Excellent points - I couldn't agree more.

@Allgeek: That is incorrect. The Twitter buffs still include story content. The rules are simply keyworded to the new one-word system.
Our group totally forgot about the buffs this session.  But only two people had decks, and each player only played one card.  Hopefully more involvement next week!
We had three very active tables this week with most players using Fortune Cards.

During the Pre-Game meet and great, experienced players were ignoring everything and despertately min/maxing their decks--I just selected three attack, defense, and tactic cards at random once I got to a table--and since combat was fairly brief this week, I am not sure it really mattered...The change in the start of the session was significant. If you do not have a deck built or lots of familiarity with the system, fortune decks do slow down session start time...

Also, we did have three general issues with Mechanics:

1.  Cards as Immediate Interrupts--I think that this is a general concern with over powered players--but we struggled with playing Tactic Cards like Hold It before the Roll or after the roll, if you know what I mean--just a simple 'getting used to the system' type issue.

2. Twitter Bufffs--We struggled with this a lot. We did not have a copy of the PDF with 'effect keyword' descriptions:
  www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DnD_ENC_Twitte... 

so we really had no idea what something like this did:
  #dndenc An unexpected surge in the stream's current nearly sweeps you off of your feet. (Fickle Fate)

until someone got the pdf running on their phone...This should go better this week.

3. Whose Turn Is It--a more serious concern for me & related to item two above. we  struggled with issues where everyone was acting all at the same time--rather then just the player who had the spotlight, if you know what I mean. I have a feeling that some of this was just player excitement over a new toy, but I am concerned that it may cause some issues going foreword.

Thanks, David S.
Good listing of issues, David. I agree with that. The interrupt and whose turn issues come up a lot in paragon and even upper heroic and is completely ridiculous in Epic play.

One possibility is to use an initiative marker. Something like a poker chip that you pass to the active player. This helps you know who to go back to when all the interupts finally cease. You can combine it well with table tents so you know both who is active (place some marker over their tent) and also who will be going next. Move the tents around as needed for things like delaying or readied actions. I find everyone gets the hang of it surprisingly quickly (I use this at cons and the table never has issues).

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I wanted to add some thought to the twitter buffs after last night.

I am playing at a table with a lot of players so I only took two turns during combat--the ability to reorder the discard pile & etc.  is not that helpful when you do not have one!

Next week, we are going to go with a 'community' hand--each player contributes three cards to the middle of the table which are then shuffled and each player can use that as their hand. This way the 'discard pile' will be shared by all of us & we think it will encourage more group play. 
Does anyone know if there is a limit when building a deck to the number of copies of the same card, so long as they meet the 3,3,3 of each type in a 10 deck or 6,6,6 of each in a 20 deck etc. rule?

Example, could someone put 4 of the same attack card in a deck of 10? 
Does anyone know if there is a limit when building a deck to the number of copies of the same card, so long as they meet the 3,3,3 of each type in a 10 deck or 6,6,6 of each in a 20 deck etc. rule?

Example, could someone put 4 of the same attack card in a deck of 10? 

Yes, they can do that.

Living Forgotten Realms (a separate program) adds a "1 of each card per 10" rule, and I think that is worth suggesting (not demanding) if you see any problem decks. (I would define a problem deck as one that on the virtue of the deck alone is making combats too easy to an extent for which you cannot adjust for using normal scaling rules). Sorry if that sounds like legalese!

Some of the players are familiar with the LFR and have been imposing that rule on themselves without asking for a rules call, but I was curious as to whether they could put more copies in.  

Don't worry about the legalese, I'm a legal assistant and used to it. 

At the first the reception of the cards was very positive. 1/3 where great fans, 1/3 liked them, 1/3 thought they where un-needed to an evil plot by Wizards to Destroy D&D. We had a few players that decided not play in this Season because of the Cards. but most people where positive. At the start of session 1 all of the players traded cards, build their decks with plans and plot a plenty, they made Character Builder Characters to get the new promo cards. But, when the game started, they barely played any cards. They forgot about them. They where no right for the situation. A few people in Session 2 even stopped even bothering. Very few people bought cards in the 2nd session. This might change. as people are still getting used to them. I am still collecting data before I make an opinion.
On the other hand. Players where not happy with the change on Twitter Buffs. Usually one player would monitor Twitter at each table. They would be excited when another message came in and start plotting how to use it. At my table, they considered it a secret weapon to offset the DM tricks that I had up my sleave. But, now that just change the way the cards are played and people are disappointed. In Session 2, only one table out of three even bothered. And it think that Session 3 it will be none.

These last 2 weeks the fortune cards have been getting a lot of use.  I've been keeping an eye on twitter buffs to see how it effects the players.  Now that people are used to it and about half of them now have built a deck they are remembering to check and use them.  I'm seeing around 5-8 cards used per encounter and the players seem to be enjoying the benefits they're getting.   I'm starting to warm up more to the idea of the cards but it has definately taken some getting used to.  As the DM I'm wonding if I should run with a monster deck just to add a bit more variety and keep the challenge level up for my players? 
These last 2 weeks the fortune cards have been getting a lot of use.  I've been keeping an eye on twitter buffs to see how it effects the players.  Now that people are used to it and about half of them now have built a deck they are remembering to check and use them.  I'm seeing around 5-8 cards used per encounter and the players seem to be enjoying the benefits they're getting.   I'm starting to warm up more to the idea of the cards but it has definately taken some getting used to.  As the DM I'm wonding if I should run with a monster deck just to add a bit more variety and keep the challenge level up for my players? 

Same thing here.  After of a couple weeks of getting used to the cards, the players at my table are not just aware of them, they are starting to plan their strategies based on which card is up at the moment.  Although I am neutral on the cards themselves, as the DM I put on an enthusiastic front in their support and continued to remind players to use them, flip them at the end of their turns, etc.  They seem to be catching on.
Most of the players at our store have given up on the cards. I was thinking of an idea for a Monster Deck with the cards or similar effects, but it looks like there is no interest. I have noted that the only players that still use them at our store are players under 14 years old. (I'm not making a judgement here, just an observation ). The Twitter buffs have also basicly given up as well. They vastly prefer the previous non-card connected Twitters. At one table where the DM was still using them, the players only used it to have the Misfortune not occur when the DM wanted, but when they wanted it. Basicly, the cards seem to be a goose egg over here.
The fortune cards started off pretty slow in my group as well (only 1 card played total in week 1), but they seem to be picking up little by little each week.

Some ideas that might help out:

Use 1 community deck for the whole group to draw from/discard into. This allows new players or players who don't want to purchase cards still participate. We assign one guy to distribute a card to each player every round (unless they are holding onto a card that they like and waiting for a prime oppurtunity to play it). That seemed to solve our intial problem of players forgetting to draw a card until after their turn was already over.

Because of the reduced chance to draw a card that is immediately useful, consider simply picking out a few cards that are useful to your PC's and handing them out at the start of the combat. Once each PC has played his intial card that was handed to him by the DM, then he goes back to drawing from the deck as usual. This gets players in the habit of playing the cards as part of their turn.
Monster or DM decks seem to rub many players the wrong way. They see it as adversarial competition.

I recommend forgetting the why but just analyzing challenge level. If the challenge level is not appropriate, regardless of reason, adjust the challenge level.

I think DMs have plenty to track, so a monster deck can be a burden. It also creates the trap question of "should I do a random deck or optimize", which can lead to horrible results either way (a waste of time flipping cards or something gone wrong when you change the game). To explain further, each monster role is predicated on a level of accuracy. Outside of placing a leader monster in your PC (which is accounted for in monster design), you don't want to mess with that accuracy because it can cause bad things to happen.

I've played games like Spycraft, which has a cool system of Action Dice. PCs get a certain number of them and can roll one or more to bump up a die roll result. Roll d20, get a 12, not happy with that, roll one of your d6 action dice, decide to roll another, get a 21, succeed. PCs can further earn these by doing cool things, but when they earn one the DM gets one too. The DM has more flexibility in what they can do. This is a cool system, but spending the action dice is a simpler thing than reward cards.

So, rambling way to get back to what I said. If the game isn't challenging, adjust the monsters through scaling. Don't add a monster/DM deck unless you really have a strong feel for 4E and are pretty sure your players will be ok with it.

This week the use of fortune cards took off at our table too.  I played 4 cards, one each round. Everyone else either played a card or was remembering to discard and draw I new card at the start of thier turn. FYI my deck is currently built around 10 cards that are all Play at the start of your turn.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium