Season 4: What should I play?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Now that the Keep on the Borderlands is behind us, I am having difficulty deciding what to create/play next season. I played a Human Slayer this season. It was fun, but ultimately limited. The big to-hit bonuses really helped my perpetually bad die rolls.

What's another fun Essentials class to play?

I've been thinking about making a Hunter because I haven't tried any Controller classes yet, but another player sounds like they will be making something similar (an "archery ranger").

Are mages easy to pick up and play if you're not used to playing spellcasters?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
They are.  Mages are a blast.  You'll have a few more options than a slayer, but you'll have nowhere near the damage output.  You will have massive control, if you spec for it.  If the party builds to take advantage of that, so much the better.  Our Enchanter mage repositioned the enemy forces at will.  Our Evoker took advantage of the now-grouped enemies and laid down some AoE hurt. 
The Mage is lots of fun, so if you like the flavor, it should be a good call for you. If bad dice tend to be a burden for you, the Mage has a couple of nice tricks - Magic Missile can't miss, and most (all?) of your encounter powers and daily powers still do something on a miss.

I personally had an absolute blast playing a Sun Warpriest in season 3, and with all the advertisements suggesting that undead will be featuring prominently in season 4, the Smite Undead power and all the Radiant damage that the Sun domain provides could be very, very awesome.
I was working on a Storm Warpriest, but he was a warforged, and I'm not sure if that'd be allowed in the Encounters game. I might try it and see if I can get away with it.

I also rolled up a tiefling mage (evocation). 
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
I made an Elf Thief, Drow Hunter, Dwarf Sentinel Druid and a Dragonborn Cavalier.  I will play which ever one is needed at the table.

I love Dwarves though and almost made 4 Dwarf characters but decided to mix it up a little.
I made several characters for my encounters game. I was DMing and wanted to give the players extra choices for premade characters. You can see the ones I made in my blog for ideas, but the Dwarven Mage was probably my favorite of that batch. I like the looks of most of the new classes from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms too though. Hopefully I'll be posting some of them soon...
I'm up in the air over playing either a Hunter or Hexblade. I'm better at playing strikers, but the Hunter looks cool too.
Are there official rules for Season 4 character creation posted anywhere?  To be safe, I've been sticking to Encounters-only, but some people seem to be drinking from the firehose.
I killed Aleena.
Are there official rules for Season 4 character creation posted anywhere?  To be safe, I've been sticking to Encounters-only, but some people seem to be drinking from the firehose.

If you meant sticking to Essentials only then you would be correct.  It is an Essentials only character build option for Season 4.

Now your mileage will vary depending upon what venue that you play at.  I know that some organizers/DM's will allow people to bring in characters from non-essentials sources.

Check out this thread: community.wizards.com/dungeonsanddragons...(Season_4)?pg=4
- Rico

If you meant sticking to Essentials only then you would be correct.  It is an Essentials only character build option for Season 4.

Now your mileage will vary depending upon what venue that you play at.  I know that some organizers/DM's will allow people to bring in characters from non-essentials sources.

Check out this thread: community.wizards.com/dungeonsanddragons...(Season_4)?pg=4

Thanks!
I killed Aleena.