Gamma World FAQ + ask a simple question

216 posts / 0 new
Last post
What are the rules for lighting? Bright lights can obviously let you see all over. Dim lights make it hard to see. What are overall rules for lighting, if any?

What are th rules for figuring weight for any given item? Haven't found any sort of examples for figuring weight, just for what characters can carry weight-wise.
Dim light is lightly obscured.  Darkness is heavily obscured.  The rules themselves were clearly obscured, and they're on page 96.

For weight, there are no rules primarily because I don't think it was deemed important.  You can always google it and find out the weight of any given item, or a similar one. 
If you are talking about weight for the sake of what the players are carrying with them (their inventory), Gamma World really likes keeping things abstract and simple.

Page 77 says:
"As long as you're not collecting Ancient appliances, bowling balls and engine blocks, there's no need to keep an exact record of how much weight your character totes around."

My players just throw anything that seems excessive in the back of their pickup truck.

But if you mean for lifting things and what not, I'd Google the weights of things like FlashbackJon reccomended.

(PS - Hi! I'm new!)
Are there any rules regarding fully automatic fire?

There sure are!  You make a ranged basic attack with the weapon in question!  

OK but how does that differ from firing a weapon single shot per round?  And is this an official rule?
Are there any rules regarding fully automatic fire?  If not, does anyone have any house rules concerning automatic weapons fire?

What would you want automatic weapons fire to do?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  I don't want automatic weapons to do anything except be able to fire more than 1 shot per round which is what bolt-action, pump action, & semiauto weapons do. But someone else answered my question that there are no official rules for full auto weapons.
OK but how does that differ from firing a weapon single shot per round?  And is this an official rule?

You don't fire a single shot per round.  You make a basic attack with a ranged weapon, which constitutes as many (or as few) shots as would be required.  A ranged basic attack is not a "single shot" in the same way a melee basic is not a "single swing."

Yes, this is official.  Since the combat rules are an abstraction of action for narrative effect, they intentionally lack the granularity of alternate firing modes.  This is especially true in Gamma World, since your light one-handed ranged gun can be a 9mm, an Uzi, or a Ninja Turtle Pizza Thrower loaded with razorblades.

How precisely do I need to define the burst-fire capabilities of a potato gun?
If it helps you visualize the damage, how about thinking this way: Those multiple-dice weapon damages are actually bursts. IE 2d10 could be 5 1d4 bullets or 2 1d10 bullets.

Not the most granular suggestion, but a way to visualize things.
Precisely.

A ranged basic attack with an M16 can represent...

• a steady succession of highly accurate semi-auto shots

• a small set of mostly accurate three-round bursts

• a stream of less accurate full-auto fire

Full-auto uses more bullets in a smaller timeframe, but also requires some level of bracing, even if we're just talking muscle tensing (roll on Table 3-27: Muscle Tensing Accuracy Adjustments, pg. 632), or suffers in accuracy.  Semi-auto is slower but can be more reliably fired on the move.  The end result of these actions is not the same but is modeled accurately in the standard action / round relationship.

After all, a round is six seconds.  The challenge of granular actions ("I pull the trigger once") is that way too much can occur in six seconds than can be reasonably dissected realistically (if you think it's been done by other RPGs, you should re-examine those systems).  The benefit of abstraction is that the mechanics give you what is, essentially, the "results summary" of your round.  Regardless of how realistic or unrealistic you feel like being in your narrative and no matter how you describe the contents of those 6 seconds, you know that if you rolled 10 for damage... you did 10 damage.
A neat way to do autofire weapons along the lines of my Weapon Shoppe house rules is to make a basic attack that looks like this:

AUTOFIRE BASIC ATTACK -- BASIC ATTACK
You rock-and-roll with your weapon, firing off multiple shots over a broad area.
At-Will * Physical, Weapon
Standard Action * Area wall 5 within 1/2 weapon range
Requirement: You must be using an automatic weapon, and you must have ammunition.
Target: All creatures in wall.
Attack: Str/Con or Dex/Int + your level + weapon accuracy vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + your level physical damage.
Effect: You run out of ammunition at the end of the encounter.

"Automatic" is a keyword that can be applied to a gun at a reduction of one damage die step.

This captures the feel of an autofire attack being used to hose down a continguous area, better than an area burst or close blast.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

I like that, it captures the idea of covering fire very well.
i also like it, feels like the most appropriate way to handle it.
Here is my take on autofire rules for Gamma World.
They look good to me, but I wonder if they are too good.
What does everyone think of them?

Personally, I would only use the first one. However, keep in mind that unless you are using a houserule for ammo, there is no such thing as "having spare ammo," so that last sentence about reloading is moot.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
I just uploaded a new version of my adventure, Quest of the One-Armed Robot. The maps have been greatly improved (although to be honest, the swamp map could be better) and the file size is much smaller. You can download it from the same address as before: click here.

Kerry
The new maps look really nice! Good work.
Although, the old hand drawn ones certainly had their charm...
♦ Target: All creatures in a 2x2 square area.

Standard Action ♦ Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: All creatures in burst

You need an attack type (area) so you know whether or not it provokes opportunity actions (yes).  

The other one should be:
Standard Action ♦ Ranged weapon 
Target: one creature 

Notably, neither one works with "shotguns," per se, but a separate attack that was Close blast 3 would.  Although at this point I'm practically just recreating Oraibi's burst/blast weapons.
I wasn't necessarily correcting the meaning of the words, as your intent it clear, I was just bringing the language in-line with the rules.  "Ranged" attacks are, by default, single target attacks, but unfortunately "Area blast" doesn't exist (much to my surprise, actually).  Note that in "Ranged weapon," "weapon" is the range, so you don't need to specify the range line.
I just completed another set of creature standies based on the critters from Famine in Far-Go. You can download them from Google docs here.

Kerry
I know a lot of games have you resolve an autofire attack with multiple attack rolls at a penalty - and it is reasonably 'realistic,' I suppose.  The point of autofire, though, is to increase your chance of hitting at least once as much (or more) as it is to possibly hit more than one target.  -5 is a very stiff penalty in 4e.  If you must have a penalty, -2 might be more reasonable.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I hope these are simple questions.

1) The rules state you can 'trade down' actions, like convert a standard action to a move action.  Does this mean you can actually take 2 move actions in your turn?  Seems like it would make running (+2 to move) kind of pointless. 

2) Attacks from a mount.  I read the rider grants combat advantage to enemies, and the rider gets -2 to attack.  I always thought mounted attackers get some advantage in fighting from the high ground, is there any bonus for the mounted attacker?

1) The rules state you can 'trade down' actions, like convert a standard action to a move action. Does this mean you can actually take 2 move actions in your turn?

Yes

Seems like it would make running (+2 to move) kind of pointless. 

With running, you can still make two move actions, both with +2 movement.

I read the rider grants combat advantage to enemies, and the rider gets -2 to attack.

Where did you read this? Mount rules can be found at the beginning of this thread.

I always thought mounted attackers get some advantage in fighting from the high ground

That was in D&D 3e. 4e does not have that rule.

I read the rider grants combat advantage to enemies, and the rider gets -2 to attack.

Where did you read this? Mount rules can be found at the beginning of this thread.

Ah, I misinterpreted the mount rule "Mount attacks: -2 penalty while mounted" as mounted attacker gets the penalty.

Also, according to page 76 on the Other Gear list, under Horse, riding: 

"You grant combat advantage to all enemies while you're on the horse." 

Maybe this would be different for a "trained" battle mount (like a warhorse or battlecat or whatever).

I was just really surprised that there is no clear advantage to attacking while mounted, although I guess the "charge rule" under mount rules is one bonus.  I haven't played D&D since 1st edition so 3rd edition isn't familiar to me either. 

Thanks so much for the answers!

Note that having your attacks and the mount's move is benefit enough.  Add to it that you may choose the origin square for your attacks on a large mount and it just gets better!
I've just created some Gamma World condition cards for those interested...
docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&...

Kerry
Those are well done, Kerry.
I am a new DM in my very first game using Gamma World. One of my players is a doppelganger. We are curious if the doppleganger's clone using ammo counts towards the using a gun more than once per encounter for the character. I saw in a previous post that a clone using an encounter power counted as the main character using it. Has there been an official ruling in this area?
At present, you will not find official rulings on anything.

Given that this action would allow the player to find his gun every round with no loss of ammo, I would personally say no.  But it's really not that bad compared to some other origin at-wills, sooooooooo... 
I figured there wouldn't be anything official.  Honestly it would put him more on par with our Magnetic/Gravity Controller who enjoys giving up his move action to get his at will minor action twice a turn before unleashing his Gravity Controller's at will standard or using some crazy alpha/omega card.  He single handedly bloodied the Yexil in the Steading of the Iron King in one turn.
You might want to discuss a nerf with the player in question. In most groups, the Magnetic novice power has either been increased to a standard action, or reduced to an encounter power.
Question about MKIII Scout Armor (Omega Tech from Legion of Gold):

It's heavy armor, but it gives a +1 bonus to speed. Would this replace the -1 penalty to speed normally imposed by heavy armor, or would it cancel out the penalty?

It's heavy armor, but it gives a +1 bonus to speed. Would this replace the -1 penalty to speed normally imposed by heavy armor, or would it cancel out the penalty?

Replace.

The way it's written, cancel. 

The flavor text strongly implies 'replace,' but it wouldn't be the first time in the history of RPGs that flavor text was completely disconected from actual mechanics... (or /litteral/ mechanics failed to get across designer intent).

Feel free to have it 'replace.'  It won't ruin your game.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Question about saves:  Is your level added to death saves?  Or saves in general? 

Also, for effect saves (like menarl spit poison), do you add your level or in this case, a Reflex bonus trait (since Reflex is used to determine hit)? 
Neither.  Saves are always 10+ unless a specific bonus is directly spelled out, as in the case of a number of different alpha/omega cards.
Is reloading a ranged weapon a free action?  If so, it would seem like ranged weapons are disproportionately better than melee weapons.
Ranged weapons are a notch above what they are in D&D4. I hadn't even considered reload actions until you mentioned it. It seems the only disadvantages of ranged weapons over melee weapons is them provoking opportunity attacks.

One might add though, that in D&D4 there's many ways of not provoking with ranged attacks, while GW only has one: shift away.
Actually, reloading isn't required at all (better than a free action, it's a "no action").  I just noticed today that the melee and ranged of the same type (e.g. heavy two-handed) have identical damage and accuracy.

In Gamma World, though, I would personally consider "no opportunity attacks" WAY better than "attacking with range" in terms of which is more advantageous.
I just finished creature standies for Legion of Gold if you're interested.
docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&...

Kerry
Is reloading a ranged weapon a free action? 

Gamma World doesn't differentiate between projectile and thrown weapons the way D&D does.  If you're using an ordinary ranged weapon, you can use it every round - you don't have to worry about how many bowling balls your character can carry around to use as his 'heavy ranged weapon,' or how many arrows the bow-user has in his quiver, or about pulling out new arrows or bowling balls. 

A Force Pike causes ongoing 5 force damage (save ends).

Save versus what? And what is the target roll?

It appears that a roll of 10+ at the end of a characters turn ends the effect. Does Reflex, Fortitude or Will modify the roll?

It seems like saves for some effects would have higher thresholds or have a special modifier to use on a save.
A Force Pike causes ongoing 5 force damage (save ends). Save versus what? And what is the target roll? It appears that a roll of 10+ at the end of a characters turn ends the effect. Does Reflex, Fortitude or Will modify the roll? It seems like saves for some effects would have higher thresholds or have a special modifier to use on a save.

All saving throws succeed on a 10 or better, and fail on a 9 or less.  Fortitude, Reflex, and Will do not modify saving throw rolls; only modifiers that expressly state they apply to saving throws modify one.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.