Magnetic Origin and Lodestone Lure Novice Power - An Obvious Typo?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can anyone tell me whether they think Lodestone Lure is really supposed to be a Minor action  At-will power? If that's the case then it's the single best power in the whole game. I think it's got to be either an Encounter power Minor action or an At-will power standard action. What do you guys think?
Nobody knows for sure what it's supposed to be. It might not be a typo.

(Whether it's as good as the Temporal origin novice power is debatable, BTW.)

Various fixes have been discussed here, including your two ideas. My suggestion is add "(1/round)" to it -- keeps it real powerful but doesn't let you do three of those a round.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
It is my considered opinion that all Novice powers should be at-wills, and Standard actions. 

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

It is my considered opinion that all Novice powers should be at-wills, and Standard actions. 

OP, youll see a fair number of people on the boards here with the above opinion, myself included. Many of us run our games that way for a number of reasons, youre question being one of them.

I personally think its pretty clearly a misprint. If it had much, much lower damage I could see it being intended, but that really doesn't seem like they intended to give someone a spammable attack of that magnitude. Maybe it was supposed to be an encounter, maybe it was supposed to be a standard action . . . who knows. But I think most people agree it needs to be errata'd!
It has an intense amount of utility for an at-will minor action too. Even if it was a standard action it would be one of the better novice powers, in my opinion. It's fair to either change it to encounter minor action, or at-will standard. It also shares way too much in common with the plastic novice power, so I think my group is opting to make it encounter (and help add to the small pool of encounter novice powers that the original set is plagued by).

I think everyone agrees that something is wrong... because you just made the best defender and striker origin in the game, bar none. Who wouldn't want to be magnetic?

There are some other really powerful novice powers though... Temporal, Mind Coercer, Engineered Human, and to a lesser extent Arachnoid being the ones that stick out in my mind. Mind Coercer/Nightmare wins hands down in my opinion just because you basically get 3-4 free attacks quite easily in one novice power, though Temporal is intensely accurate, versatile, and has several layers of control.
Currently Playing: lvl 6 Pixie Skald in Home Campaign lvl 2 Human Bard in Forgotten Realms ---
Nobody knows for sure what it's supposed to be. It might not be a typo.

Various fixes have been discussed here, including your two ideas. My suggestion is add "(1/round)" to it -- keeps it real powerful but doesn't let you do three of those a round.

There is an origin in Legion of Gold (I believe it is the demon one but I do not have the book with me) that has a minor action at will and it says on the power (1/round)

This is the way that I am going to rule the Magnetic power.
This is probably a forelorn hope but; any chance we could get a concensus on what we think the writer's likely intended (i.e. a concensus would be a helpful tip for the forum FAQ)?

Although at-will/standard is what most of the other origins use, I get the impression that they were intending to make Lure different... they could've intended it to be more like Yeti's encounter/minor novice power (i.e. Lure kinda seems like something you might only use once in an encounter).

Also: damage-wise, what's most balanced?
This is probably a forelorn hope but; any chance we could get a concensus on what we think the writer's likely intended (i.e. a concensus would be a helpful tip for the forum FAQ)?

Well I think consensus is that its a typo. . .  WHAT typo may be harder. Someone could start a poll thread or something, I guess. We may not have the ability to make polls on this board, but you could start a thread with the choices laid out and people could post how thier group sees it. You could include some of the for/against arguments for each point, too.

I think theyre both equally amazingly strong powers. But you cant really compare them too well in the first place since they both perfom a different function. But If you had both origins, the power of that combo is staggering. Grab a guy who's a few squares out, hit him twice and pull him towards you, then plug him with a melee weapon, teleport him out, and daze him.

TBH, if it werent for my groups consensus of 'Novice Powers are at-will standard-actions', I'd lean towards them supposed to be making that either an encounter, or a 1/round. My bet wouldve been on encounter though, since its similar to the Yeti power in strength if you apply that rule.
you could start a thread with the choices laid out and people could post how thier group sees it. You could include some of the for/against arguments for each point, too.

Options:
A) At-will/standard: this is what most powers use, and the power seems in-line with them
B) Encounter/minor: same method used by to Yeti origin novice power. Might be more appropriate if the writer's intended Lure to be different, used less frequently, and/or used along with another attack power.
C) Once per round/minor: same method used by demon origin novice power. Might be more appropriate if writer's viewed Lure as underpowered as a standard action and suitable for using every round (along with another attack).
Temporal is intensely accurate, versatile, and has several layers of control.

Anyone know why temporal is vs. Reflex? That seems odd.

Temporal is intensely accurate, versatile, and has several layers of control.

Anyone know why temporal is vs. Reflex? That seems odd.

Yeah, seems odd that you dodge time...
Maybe they were getting loopy with metaphors when they came up with that.

It starts out with somebody talking about getting out of the way in the nick of time. Somebody else pipes in how it's combat, so that nick is probably from something earlier in combat. And finally somebody tells those two to quit goofing around because of how many of these things they have to do and how rapidly the deadline is approaching.

But probably not.

Likely it's just someone thinking that the temporal thing was like a Time Beam rather than some kind of AOE, so reflex to get out of the way. Not really sure though, haven't read the power. Wink 
haven't read the power. Wink 

TEMPORAL FUGUE
"Bending time, you fling an enemy back to a previous moment, disorienting it."
At-Will Dark, Physical, Teleportation
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged wpn
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom + your level + weapon accuracy vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier + your level physical damage, you teleport the target 4 squares, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Yeah, that's pretty easy to see as a targeted beam of some sort for it to happen.
Well, the issue becomes that it's the only power in GW presently IIRC (and part of tiny, tiny selection in all of 4e) that includes weapon accuracy(proficiency) and targets a defense other than AC.  Meaning in addition to being more awesome, it also hits between 10% and 20% more often than other, similar powers.  Again, not a huge deal in Gamma World, but it doesn't fit the mold, even as far as "unbalanced" stuff goes.
Here are some possibly more balanced re-writes of Temporal Fugue

TEMPORAL FUGUE
At-Will * Dark, Physical, Teleportation
Standard Action
Melee Touch
Attack: Wisdom + your level vs. Reflex
Hit: You teleport the target 4 squares, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

TEMPORAL FUGUE
Encounter * Dark, Physical, Teleportation
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged wpn
Attack: Wisdom + your level + weapon accuracy vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier + your level physical damage, you teleport the target 4 squares, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

TEMPORAL FUGUE
Encounter Dark, Physical, Teleportation
Immediate Reaction
Close Burst 3
Target: Triggering creature in burst.
Trigger:  An enemy succeeds with an attack or skill check.
Attack: Wisdom + your level vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + WIS mod + your level psychic damage and the target must repeat the attack roll or check with a -5 penalty, and use the new result.

(Actually make that an effect take away the damage, and it'd make more sense as a utility...)

TEMPORAL FUGUE
"Bending time, you step back to a previous moment, briefly duplicating yourself."
At-Will Dark, Physical, Teleportation
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged wpn
Target: One or two creatures within weapon reach or range.
Attack: Wisdom + your level + weapon accuracy vs. AC.  If you attack only one target, you have combat advantage for the attack.
Hit: 1[W] + Wisdom modifier + your level physical damage.  If you attacked only one target, it is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!