Gamma World FAQ + ask a simple question

216 posts / 0 new
Last post

This would be a nice place to have a list of online offering, given that I can't figure out how to find Gamma World stuff using the archive system that Dungeon and Dragon mag stuff goes into.

There is one - second post in this thread...
Okay, I've been in and out of the D20 system for awhile now, starting originally with D&D 3.5 and meddling in both past and Saga editions of Star Wars d20, now settling into Gamma World which I love a lot. One thing does ocnfuse me though, because I can't seem to find an article about it in the book itself.

When you have text that says: "Level + ___ vs. Reflex/Fortitude/Will" do you actually add your level plus the given number and roll that versus their Reflex/Fortitude/Will score, or do they roll too? Or do neither roll at all? I figured you'd HAVE to roll considering that even a level 10 character + 3 for instance would still not even be able to beat a Reflex 14 or whatnot.

If there could be some clarificiation on how exactly "VS. FORT/REF/WILL" works, I'd be very thankful.
Okay, I've been in and out of the D20 system for awhile now, starting originally with D&D 3.5 and meddling in both past and Saga editions of Star Wars d20, now settling into Gamma World which I love a lot. One thing does ocnfuse me though, because I can't seem to find an article about it in the book itself.

When you have text that says: "Level + ___ vs. Reflex/Fortitude/Will" do you actually add your level plus the given number and roll that versus their Reflex/Fortitude/Will score, or do they roll too? Or do neither roll at all? I figured you'd HAVE to roll considering that even a level 10 character + 3 for instance would still not even be able to beat a Reflex 14 or whatnot.

If there could be some clarificiation on how exactly "VS. FORT/REF/WILL" works, I'd be very thankful.

Reflex, Fortitude, and Will are defenses, like Armor Class.  You roll your d20, add your level and add any modifiers listed, then compare it to the target's defense.  If you meet or exceed that number, your attack is successful.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Three Questions:

1) How do you figure out weight for items? It says that for the most part weight isn't a concern, but occasionally is. Do you just imagine it's weight in real life and then just compare to stats or is there an in-game mechanic to pay attention to?

2) In the "Death" section it says that a successful (10+) save when dying will keep you from slipping closer to death, which I understand. But it also says another character using the Science skill can stabilize you back to 0 HP and keep you from slipping any further. Is there a particular DC for this or does it depend on the DM?

3) How many times can you use an origin power per game/encounter? I know it's obviously limited to one a turn, but I'd also assume only one use per encounter/per power.
1) Yeah, pretty much. Whatever seems reasonable.

2) Hrm, not seeing anything with a cursory glance. I'd peg it at moderate myself.

3) Each power tells you in the description, before the keywords. At-wills can be used as much as you like, provided you have the actions; Encounters can be used once per encointer; dailies (there's only one of those, from the Alien origin) once per in-game day.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Correction for that "Death" question. I realized there was the "Rules" section on the front page, it's a DC 15 to stabilize apparently. Seems logical to me, I was thinking either 15 or 20 for that DC.
1) Yeah, pretty much. Whatever seems reasonable.

2) Hrm, not seeing anything with a cursory glance. I'd peg it at moderate myself.

3) Each power tells you in the description, before the keywords. At-wills can be used as much as you like, provided you have the actions; Encounters can be used once per encointer; dailies (there's only one of those, from the Alien origin) once per in-game day.

With #3, dailies are regenerated/refurbished once every long rest. Though Gamma World really doesn't have a need for long rests other than to reorganize alpha mutations and omega tech. Basically, other than that one daily (which is underpowered compared to other Expert powers and even some encounter-limited novice powers) and the reorganization of player decks, extended rests have no real purpose in Gamma World.
1) How do you figure out weight for items? It says that for the most part weight isn't a concern, but occasionally is. Do you just imagine it's weight in real life and then just compare to stats or is there an in-game mechanic to pay attention to?

Regular D&D has encumbrance rules (and sample weapon/armor weights) if desired: Strength x 10 is the number of pounds you can carry around without being Slowed.

3) How many times can you use an origin power per game/encounter?

You can use each 'encounter' power once per encounter.

Regular D&D has encumbrance rules (and sample weapon/armor weights) if desired: Strength x 10 is the number of pounds you can carry around without being Slowed.

The same rule is in D&D Gamma World, on page 77.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

3) How many times can you use an origin power per game/encounter? I know it's obviously limited to one a turn, but I'd also assume only one use per encounter/per power.

In general, Novice powers are At-will and utility and expert powers are 1/encounter.  There are some 1/encounter Novice powers in the GW rulebook, none in Far-Go.  There is one 'daily' in Far-Go. 

I like to standardize things, and make all Novice powers Standard-Action, and at-will; and all expert powers 1/encounter.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I know it's obviously limited to one a turn, but I'd also assume only one use per encounter/per power.

Note: if the power is at-will, it's only limited by its action type.  For example, the Magnetic Novice power is a Minor action, and could be used 3 times on your turn.  A standard action at-will could be used more than once per turn if, for instance, you were granted another standard action, but such a condition doesn't yet exist in Gamma World to my knowledge.

It doesn't come up much, but it's worth noting that no "1/turn" restriction exists inherently. 
Jon, I think there are some Alpha mutations that can give you another standard action in a turn.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Jon, I think there are some Alpha mutations that can give you another standard action in a turn.

Adrenaline Pill is one of them.
Started wondering, is there a way to use Science to physically heal someone? I know to stabilize someone who is dying is a DC15 Science Check, but I've not noticed any sort of First Aid/Healing rolls available or whatnot.
Started wondering, is there a way to use Science to physically heal someone? I know to stabilize someone who is dying is a DC15 Science Check, but I've not noticed any sort of First Aid/Healing rolls available or whatnot.

Some GM's might allow a DC10 science check to trigger someone else's second wind (similar to D&D). Otherwise, one could view other first aid efforts as part of a 5 minute rest.

Some GM's might allow a DC10 science check to trigger someone else's second wind (similar to D&D). Otherwise, one could view other first aid efforts as part of a 5 minute rest.

There is no science check needed to trigger someone else's second wind. It's a standard action and can be done by anyone.

Page 22 core book: "If you are unable to take actions, another character can use a standard action to trigger your second wind."
There is no science check needed to trigger someone else's second wind. It's a standard action and can be done by anyone.

Page 22 core book: "If you are unable to take actions, another character can use a standard action to trigger your second wind."

Awesome. Thanks.

Notably, the first aid kit gives a +1 to Science checks for healing, however.
Notably, the first aid kit gives a +1 to Science checks for healing, however.

Where did you find the First Aid Kit? FIFG?
Yessir, p29.
Yessir, p29.

That is so odd...since you heal to full between encounters regardless of whether it's short or extended. I guess you could apply the +1 to the Science check when trying to stabilize a dying character...
This is why I was confused. I just bought FIFG and saw the First Aid Kit as a "bonus" item I granted players to roll for, just as a bit of flavor of the new and one of my players got that. I assumed to stabilize another player was the use for the First Aid kit, but at the same time, I had to think back and try and remember if there was ever a healing roll, or if it was just all done with Second Wind and Rests.
I'm guessing it was just an oversight, but it could feasibly apply in situations such as plot events or skill challenges, I suppose.
I took Chris Perkin's advice and went with "When you're not sure, just say Yes" when your players want to do something creative. So I set a basic DC 10/15/20 for healing, and will only allow healing WITH the First Aid Kit. If they roll at least 10, they get a D6 + Level worth of healing on another character, DC15 makes it a D8 + Level and DC 20 is D10 + Level. Pretty much the better they roll, the better the "healing damage" they roll." It's still small and realistic, but I try and limit it as much as possible as I don't want to be slamming new mechanics into my game, but figure it was worth the allowance this past game. (Plus First Aid kits only have 5 uses.)
Found myself wondering about this, as it only has a fairly limited entry on the rules of flying, but it says in the entry that creatures can move up and down freely, even diagonally. If this true, does this mean that spaces in a 3-D sense come into play? Like instead of moving around on the grid of the map, could a Hawkoid PC decide to move 6 spaces UP into the air?

Additionally, it sometimes gives measurements in feet, usually in increments of 5, such as "The badders behind the table are approximately 20 feet away from the steps, which I counted as 4 squares. Does this generally mean that each square represents 5 feet as well? (Much like the "5 Foot Step" in D&D 3.5 I would suppose.)
Hi Tyr, each square is supposed to be 5 feet across, and they don't seem to mention this anywhere in the rules. Disappointing.

A hawkoid can indeed choose to fly 6 squares up, or 6 squares up and 6 squares forward, or whatever. Note that flying up will usually provoke an opportunity attack if there's an adjacent creature, just like walking away would.

I usually use dice to represent altitudes of characters or monsters who are flying, by putting the die beside the creature. Each number showing on the represents how high it is, so a d10 showing "6" next to a hawkoid would indicate that it flew 6 squares up above the base level of the map.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Thanks Oraibi, that's what I was thinking. I was chatting with a fellow player tonight and said "It says you can move up and diagonally, but what's to stop someone from flying up 6 spaces over and over and getting out of range of any weapon?" Of course, this wouldn't work inside of a building with a ceiling unless it was really tall, but do you feel the cap for height should be a set number? 20 perhaps? Or maybe the speed of said flyer?

Also the dice idea, mentioned that too, commenting that eventually using a d20 would just be silly and unstable.
There's no cap on it, and although flight can be unexpected, I don't think it breaks anything, per se.  
There's no cieling on flight, but range cuts both ways:   If you're flying 24 squares above the battle, everyone on the ground is out of range of all your attacks, as well.

If you want to make it harder on fliers, you can rule that gaining altitude costs double movement (just like difficult terrain).  So if you have fly 6 and move straight up, you go up 3 squares. 

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Curious as well, is it legal to use an attack from Omega Tech in conjunction with Origin Powers?

Like the Hypercognitive's Uncanny Strike + Mk. 1 Laser Pistol?
Strictly speaking, no.  Despite being a piece of equipment, the use of the Laser Pistol is a power, and there's no way to use two powers concurrently.  Furthermore, it has no [W].  This is assuming it's not salvaged, of course, after which point it's perfectly legal.

In my personal games, though, I might allow it. *shrug*
Some Omega Tech cards /do/ say that they are weapons, so it wouldn't be out of line for a DM to rule that you could - but, they're also powers, in themselves, so ruling the other way is also justified. 

As Jon pointed out, many salvaged Omega Tech weapons would clearly work just fine with weapon powers.   And, some GMs allow you to use the 'salvage' entry while the item is still working...

I may just decide to go with the logic that using Omega Tech in conjunction with powers you're comfortable with might be a little off-key, as Omega Tech is new to alot of people, alien to some and just interesting in it's own right, so it'd be hard to use it at the same time while focusing on Origin Powers or whatnot.

Thanks for the input, guys.
New to Gamma World and I plan on DMing (my first time) so pardon my basic questions.

Looking at some of the Omega Tech, I'm not so sure how/when players use them.  For example Cerametal Armor lists itself as Armor: Heavy and Power: Encounter.

If a player has this, do they need to state that they are wearing this before the encounter begins? I assume this would be treated as if the player had heavy armor (penalties and all) regardless of what they normally started with.  If the power is never triggered they still get to keep the armor despite using it, right?  Also, the encounter power is only good once? (so if they were knocked prone twice, the armor would only negate the first occurrence)

I'll probably have more questions later
Thx!
New to Gamma World and I plan on DMing (my first time) so pardon my basic questions.

Looking at some of the Omega Tech, I'm not so sure how/when players use them.  For example Cerametal Armor lists itself as Armor: Heavy and Power: Encounter.

If a player has this, do they need to state that they are wearing this before the encounter begins? I assume this would be treated as if the player had heavy armor (penalties and all) regardless of what they normally started with.  If the power is never triggered they still get to keep the armor despite using it, right?  Also, the encounter power is only good once? (so if they were knocked prone twice, the armor would only negate the first occurrence)

I'll probably have more questions later
Thx!

Cerametal Armor is heavy armor that the player can wear at all times and gain the benefits and detriments of heavy armor: +7 AC, -1 Speed. It also has an encounter power that may be used that negates forced movement or knocking the character down. The power is optional. Though if it is used, the player will have to roll an omega charge check at the end of the encouter to keep the omega tech. If that doesn't work, it can be salvaged to become a permanent armor without the power but with a +1 to fortitude saves.

I would assume that the character would be wearing the armor. But it might be best to ask. If the character is not wearing the armor, then they cannot use the power nor benefit from any of it's effects.

The armor will be kept until they use it and fail an overcharge check. It may be kept in its salvaged form if the character is level 2 or higher.

Since the armor's power is Encouter-based (not At-Will) it will only work once during an encounter. it does not provide its effect the entire encounter. The omega tech's power says it all:

"Power: Encounter

Immediate Interrupt, Personal

Trigger: An attack knocks you prone or subjects you to forced movement

Effect: You aren't knocked prone or subjected to forced movement from the triggering attack. In addition, you gain resist 5 to all damage against the triggering attack."

Are there any rules regarding fully automatic fire?  If not, does anyone have any house rules concerning automatic weapons fire?
Are there any rules regarding fully automatic fire?  If not, does anyone have any house rules concerning automatic weapons fire?

What would you want automatic weapons fire to do?

Caoimhe Ora Snow

There are no rules on automatic fire. 

It would not be unreasonable to assume that some guns /are/ being used in a full-auto mode.  That'd explain why you can go from 'plenty of ammo' to 'no ammo' after one attack roll.  ;)

You could come up with all kinds of rules for automatic fire.  But, consider that the main downside is burning through ammo faster - and the ammo rules don't make that distinction...

OK, here's a shot at it:

Automatic Fire 
Encounter  *  Weapon
Standard Action   Area Blast* 3 w/in 1/2 Weapon range
Requirement: 
you must be using a gun
Targets:  all creatures in blast
Attack:  same as basic attack
Damage: 2[W] + basic-attack-stat + 2xlevel
Effect:  After resolving this attack, you are out of ammo. **

*  'Area Blast' isn't actually in 4e. The only difference between 'Area Blast 3' and 'Area Burst 1' is that (1) you can hit someone 5' further away and (2)you figure cover from your square instead of from the center of the burst.
** Just to be clear, out of ammo is out of ammo - you can't use /any/ gun until you get more ammo.

If the whole 'Area Blast' thing is just too freaky, make it a Close Blast 5.

Are there any rules regarding fully automatic fire?

There sure are!  You make a ranged basic attack with the weapon in question!