Origin Cards?

141 posts / 0 new
Last post

Updated with suggested changes. I like both versions, but have a personal preference for the first version...

Wow, these right here are top notch!  Very nice job, indeed. 
AH_Anarchy, I printed out a set of yopur nice looking cards and realized a significant problem with them. I have a Cannon MP600 series printer (not cheap) but the white letters do not show well on such a busy background. You might want to lightened the background and/or change the print to black letters instead of white.

The card back looks nice, but I put my cards in a card sleeve protector. That way they can tap their origin encounter powers, like their alpha and omega cads. This allows the DM a quick and easy way to check the power left available to the group in case you want to do a running fight and really test their abilities.
CrazyKobold, I wouldn't suggest printing these on an inkjet. Printers are very inconsistent, especially when it comes to color. You are just not going to be able to match the vibrancy and color of a color laser with an inkjet. I took the pdf to Staples and it was well worth the $5 to print there. The text is very readable on the color laser output.
What weight paper did you use, and did they cut it or did you have to?
Hey Battles,

Did you ever finish your cards?
In this same vein, AH_Anarchy, do you think having a card for the origin itself, not just the powers would be cool as well? I'm tempted to deconstruct your cards and generate the actual origins as well (perhaps using the blue background one)...That would set this set as the de facto origin card set for me...
Hey Battles,

I'm proofreading my half-sheets today, and hopefully I'll be able to post them later on tonight. ::crosses fingers::

Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I wouldn't suggest printing these on an inkjet.

I'd echo this - I've got a really high-end inkjet, and a test print came out pretty passably. Another test on a lower-end one came out looking like dirt. So I will be doing the same as Anarchy - I think $5-$10 for a set of these at a professional printers will be well worth the money. Might even spring for the cardstock if its not too expensive, we'll see.
What weight paper did you use, and did they cut it or did you have to?

Mmm. I didn't ask for any special paper, so I think they used 22-30lb. I cut the cards out and shoved them in front of some spare CCG commons in sleeves. No back.

In this same vein, AH_Anarchy, do you think having a card for the origin itself, not just the powers would be cool as well? I'm tempted to deconstruct your cards and generate the actual origins as well (perhaps using the blue background one)...That would set this set as the de facto origin card set for me...

I saw some half-sheet origins, I think from Battles, and I was planning on using those. If you'd like, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward you some blank templates that you can use.
Hey Battles,

I'm proofreading my half-sheets today, and hopefully I'll be able to post them later on tonight. ::crosses fingers::

Cool, I will check later tonight.

Thanks
Here's a sample of the set I'm working on:

All the cards are finished, and they are being proofread. The only question is what to do about Killing Bite since it seems like it will need some errata.

Fantastic! How do we "normies" get a copy of those cards?

All the cards are finished, and they are being proofread. The only question is what to do about Killing Bite since it seems like it will need some errata.

Just read through the thread and you'll find the links. It's about page 4 I think? It's page 2: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
The PDFs are linked in post #19 (thanks ExcalibursZone for the link!)

You can take them to an office supply store or Kinko's to get them printed on a color laser, then you cut them out and sleeve them.

Or you can edit them in Photoshop or GIMP and make them individual images. Then upload to a place like Artscow and have them make you a custom deck of playing cards. You'll want a card back, like one that was posted earlier.

Just read through the thread and you'll find the links. It's about page 4 I think? It's page 2: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Awesome thanks. Don't always have timeto read thru all posts with the liil one tugging at my pant leg LOL. These are great now to buy some card stock....off to Staples!
I am lucky enough to have a color laser at home so I'll be printing these puppies out on cardstock with a back. And if AH_Anarchy is OK with it, I would like to let the Game Day players keep their origin cards as a gift.

Awesome thanks. Don't always have timeto read thru all posts with the liil one tugging at my pant leg LOL. These are great now to buy some card stock....off to Staples!

Keep in mind that printing these on an Inkjet printer is not the best solution since the text may blur.
I am lucky enough to have a color laser at home so I'll be printing these puppies out on cardstock with a back. And if AH_Anarchy is OK with it, I would like to let the Game Day players keep their origin cards as a gift.

Eh! I'm honored!

I tried replying to your PM, but your privacy settings won't let me reply: "Your message was not sent because this user only accepts messages from friends." *sniffles* I'll post a SVG of the blank template later tonight. 
*rubs hands together*
Now how do we get all the card data that was posted on another thread into these wonderful cards of Anarchy's.

Eh! I'm honored!

I tried replying to your PM, but your privacy settings won't let me reply: "Your message was not sent because this user only accepts messages from friends." *sniffles* I'll post a SVG of the blank template later tonight. 

Privacy settings have been fixed. Go ahead and message away (and I accepted your friend request).
*rubs hands together*
Now how do we get all the card data that was posted on another thread into these wonderful cards of Anarchy's.

I would say: We don't. That way WotC won't get upset with us. Afterall, if we went and designed better cards and then started sharing them, why would people buy the boosters from WotC? I'd rather see new material come out instead of losing the line because they can't support it.
Kinkos did 3 copies on 90lb cardstock (which is a bit lighter than index card 110lb cardstock) in color for about $26 (so a bit over $8.50 a set) via the web and I just went in and picked them up.  Staples sounds like it was alot cheaper.  Did you just go in and hand them a memory stick and said I need X copies of this on paper?
Anyone tried putting this stuff into godeckyourself.com? while not nearly as nice as the ones I'm seeing up here (not by a longshot) it's pretty easy.
Kinkos did 3 copies on 90lb cardstock (which is a bit lighter than index card 110lb cardstock) in color for about $26 (so a bit over $8.50 a set) via the web and I just went in and picked them up.  Staples sounds like it was alot cheaper.  Did you just go in and hand them a memory stick and said I need X copies of this on paper?

Yep. Gave them a flash drive and had them print it on whatever was in the tray (22-30lb). Was about $4 per set. I had some City of Heroes CCG cards, with a nice black border. Cut the GW cards, used a CCG card for stiffness and placed in a sleeve. About 1 hour work to get the set ready to play.
My Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets are finished and can be downloaded via the following link:

www.mediafire.com/?79zm3f307mq1ljv

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
My Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets are finished and can be downloaded via the following link:

www.mediafire.com/?79zm3f307mq1ljv

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

These will come in handy this weekend.  They look great!
CrazyKobold, I wouldn't suggest printing these on an inkjet. Printers are very inconsistent, especially when it comes to color. You are just not going to be able to match the vibrancy and color of a color laser with an inkjet. I took the pdf to Staples and it was well worth the $5 to print there. The text is very readable on the color laser output.

AH_Anarchy, great cards! I know its asinine to ask you to do more work after creating those, but would you think about creating something a little simpler in Black & White that we can print out from our home printers?

Your cards are formatted great and really fit Gamma World, but I'd love to just run off page from my inkjet whenever the need arises.
AH_Anarchy, great cards! I know its asinine to ask you to do more work after creating those, but would you think about creating something a little simpler in Black & White that we can print out from our home printers?

Your cards are formatted great and really fit Gamma World, but I'd love to just run off page from my inkjet whenever the need arises.

Thanks!

Black and White? Ehhh. I did a quick test and removed all the background textures, changed the text color to black. They're pretty plain, but should print without trouble on home printers.

Is this what you are looking for?

If that will work for you, let me know.
Anarchy, I'm not the original requester, but those really would work good for me. I try to save on my printing costs and ink whenever I can...

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

The B&W would be OK, but I prefer the color ;)
Black and White? Ehhh. I did a quick test and removed all the background textures, changed the text color to black. They're pretty plain, but should print without trouble on home printers.

Is this what you are looking for?

If that will work for you, let me know.

That'll work!

You're not wrong Excaliburs, the Color does look much better, but I'm not going to spend the money on color and cardstock from Kinkos if I only play Gamma World once. I've cajoled my regular group into letting me run a session next week, but Sci-Fi people they aint, so these will be great as throwaways.

Thanks for pulling that together so quick Anarchy, great job!
Black and White card PDF is here:

www.zeroradiusgames.com/BGG_files/gw_pow...

Excellent as usual.  Thanks for the Black & White versions.  I can see making cards like these for the custom origins being developed in this forum.

Thanks again!
_________________________________________________________ Craedus - Gatherer of new GW locales for the GW Community Atlas
Thanks! They look great.
Something occurred to me this morning, what about an Ammo Card? Straight up when you have Ammo, tap it when you use it 1 in an Encounter, discard it when you go all out.

What do you guys think? 
I think Tallyrand already has something like that. take a look on the first or second page of the 4E Gamma World House Rules.
There is a nice ammo card as part of the Random Junk cards that MVincent made, found on my blog.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Has anybody thought to do critical hit cards?
Anarchy, the Custom Origins set of 20 origins is done now. There's a pdf up in the thread for you to take a look at, and I still definitely love it if you'd make a set of cards for those too
I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Picked up my GW box set over the weekend and am hoping to have my first chance to run it tonight, but I was immediately dissatisfied with the provided character sheets. They are far too small, do not have nearly enough space for skills and gear, and the colors, well, eww! Foot in mouth  I really have to wonder if anyone at WotC actually tried playing a game with those things before they were approved and printed?

That being said, thank all of you for your efforts to provide a better solution!

AH_Anarchy's cards look freaking sweet, but it sounds like they don't do very well on inkjets, and I won't have time to get to a professional printer before game time. That being the case, I decided to try a combination of Oraibi's simple and elegant character sheets with Battles' origin half-sheets. It seems like those should cover everything the players need to know and track very well.

You guys are awesome, and I am looking foward to my first GW game much more now that I have some decent tools to make character management easier. Cool