Gamma World Game Day (Oct 23) - Trouble in Freesboro

106 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone else tried the .../stupendico/..  links in the module.  All I get is the word 'welcome.'  I take it they'll go live for Game Day?

(It looks like they scavanged the Hoffman Institute from a different game promo?)

Yeah, the links aren't live yet. I hope they go live soon.

Hoffmann Institute was from Alternity's Dark*Matter setting.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
You can find a reference to, and broken link to, Dark Matter from one of the pages.

I hope the pages go live by about 6pm Friday night, so I can print them off at work (no home printer)
AlexandraErin: If last season was any indication, I think Encounters is pretty much the elemental opposite of "organized" play!
Spoiler alert: Is it me or is the monster on page 4, top right kind of screwy with the stats? those mods don't equate to those stat numbers...chock this up to another FAIL?
It looks perfectly normal to me. It's a Soldier, so it gets a +2 Initiative bonus. Its AC is actually 1 less than it could be. Its other defenses are within expected variation of the average for its level. Its hit points and attack bonus are exactly average for a Soldier of its level. Its ability scores are a bit low; the highest ability score in each pair is usually 13 + monster level, or 16 + monster level for the monster's main attack score. Still, this doesn't much matter because a monster's ability score bonus in GW is only relevant to its Initiative score and its Perception (since no GW monster has skills), and both of those are calculated correctly for this monster, using the ability scores listed. In other words, its Perception is equal to its Wisdom bonus, and its Initiative is equal to its Dex bonus + 2.

Remember that ability score modifiers get a bonus, for monsters, of 1/2 the monster's level. So if you see a 16 in a score, and it has a bonus higher than +3, that's because the monster has +1/2 level as a bonus.
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
I'm new to DMing 4e stuff so I did not know about the bonuses to mods. Where is this located? DMG? MM? It doesn't say anything in the GW book that I could see...It just says "Use the adjusted ability score modifier..." (paraphrasing).
I'm new to DMing 4e stuff so I did not know about the bonuses to mods. Where is this located? DMG? MM? It doesn't say anything in the GW book that I could see...It just says "Use the adjusted ability score modifier..." (paraphrasing).

Gamma World Rulebook p 59 has a table with the ability scores and their modifiers.  In the case of the monster you were asking about, the half level thing like what DoctorComics (love that name btw) says.  It looks pretty normal to me as well.  Pay close attention to the resists for that monster too!
Thanks for the reply, but I think you've misunderstood what I'm asking.

The monster in question has 1/2 its level added to it's stat mods. This is the first time I've ever heard of this being done to any critter in D&D 4e. I looked through the other monsters in the book and, sure enough, they have that applied as well.

My question is not what the stat mods are (those are easy to figure out and find). My question is: Where is the rule that monsters of higher level add half their level to their mods. I did not find it in the Gamma World book, did not find it in the 4e DMG 1, nor did I find it in the 4e MM 1.

Where is the rule that states that monsters add 1/2 their level to their stats? If it isn't in the normal places, how is one supposed to know to do that when applying levels to monsters to increase the PC's challenge?

***EDIT

My main issue is that if this is done, why isn't it explained in the rulebook? The GW book does not stipulate that you need any other books in order to play. That makes things like this irritating rule a pain in the butt for new DMs.
Anyone else tried the .../stupendico/..  links in the module.  All I get is the word 'welcome.'  I take it they'll go live for Game Day?

(It looks like they scavanged the Hoffman Institute from a different game promo?)

Yeah, the links aren't live yet. I hope they go live soon.

Hoffmann Institute was from Alternity's Dark*Matter setting.

I hope that when the links go live, they don't contain any Flash or other such silliness that does not work on smart phones, since that will be the most likely client for this content.

I also looked at the source code of the "Welcome" pages, in case there were any little hints or humor embedded in there.  None.  Bummer. 
The monster in question has 1/2 its level added to it's stat mods. This is the first time I've ever heard of this being done to any critter in D&D 4e. I looked through the other monsters in the book and, sure enough, they have that applied as well....My question is: Where is the rule that monsters of higher level add half their level to their mods. I did not find it in the Gamma World book, did not find it in the 4e DMG 1, nor did I find it in the 4e MM 1. ... Where is the rule that states that monsters add 1/2 their level to their stats? If it isn't in the normal places, how is one supposed to know to do that when applying levels to monsters to increase the PC's challenge?

***EDIT

My main issue is that if this is done, why isn't it explained in the rulebook? The GW book does not stipulate that you need any other books in order to play. That makes things like this irritating rule a pain in the butt for new DMs.

You're absolutely right. This rule is not explicitly stated in the DMG or in GW. It's not your fault you are confused. It's an obscure rule.

However, if you look in your MM, you will see that every monster in that book has these bonuses. Likewise, if you have ever used the Monster Creator utility in DDI's Adventure Tools, that utility calculates these bonuses automatically and puts them into your monster.

The best way to figure out the rule for yourself is something like this: "What bonus do monsters use for Initiative, Perception, and other skill and ability checks? PCs get to add 1/2 their level to those checks. Do monsters? Let me check the Monster Manual. Why yes, yes they do."

Monsters don't roll ability checks and skills very often, but if you have ever tried to make your own monster and not added these bonuses, you quickly begin to notice that your monsters have lousy Initiative scores compared to the players, and then you begin to ask "What am I doing wrong?" and that is how I, at least, figured out this rule.

Wizards seems to be revising a lot of this stuff for clarity as they do the Essentials books. Unfortunately, monster creation seems to have been left out of the Essentials "DM's Book" and instead saved for the Monster Vault, which isn't out yet. So we cannot yet see if they have clarified this particular rule in the new edition. 
The Doctor Comics Blog: doctorcomics.blogspot.com On Twitter @doctorcomics GW Card List: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26023881/Card_List
OK, found that rule. Page 7 of the 4e Monster Manual under Ability Scores.

So, it is assumed that those who buy Gamma World also have the 4e books, which is a load of hooey...Oh, well. Hope this reference helps other newb DMs out there.

Gamma World doesn't give you any tools or guidance for creating monsters that I noticed.  So I suppose you're just supposed to take the numbers on faith.  Not that there's anything wrong with 'reverse engineering' them, of course.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Wow, 9-10?  We only had two tables at Red Box Game Day - two tables of 4 players each.

For Gamma World we're expecting two or three tables.

If you have any D&D Orc miniatures, they'd work for the porkers - especialy if they're really old leads (there were /some/ of the pig-looking orcs done, weren't there?). ;)

The Game Box is supposed to be required (it says one Game Box per table in big print right on the materials).  I pre-ordered mine, have had it a week, so no worries there. 

The best minis for porkers I've seen would be the Farrow minis from Privateer Press's Hordes game. 

I just checked the web addresses listed in the adventure and it seems they are still not operational.  Is it this way to you all as well? Has WotC mentioned when these may be operational?
I just checked the web addresses listed in the adventure and it seems they are still not operational.  Is it this way to you all as well? Has WotC mentioned when these may be operational?

My understanding was "during Games Day" since looking at them beforehand would be spoileriffic.  

My understanding was "during Games Day" since looking at them beforehand would be spoileriffic.  

Not for the GM.  Wink

... or for those of us who would rather print out the web pages ahead of time and bring them along.
The contents of two are already in the inside covers of the module.  The third is aparently meant to be some sort of video.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

... (It looks like they scavanged the Hoffman Institute from a different game promo?)

Hoffman Institue is from the Alternity/d20 Modern Dark Matter setting.
I created some standies for this game day (instead of miniatures). The file can be downloaded from docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwSEGjOnxAb....

Kerry
Awesome, Kerry, thanks!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sweet!
Those standies are nice, i was thinking about doing that as well, but would need them for the PCs.

To get the tokens that were missing, I just went ahead and set up shrinky dink versions. They're square, which is fine with me, but since I haven't actually shrunk them, I'll let you know how they turn out afterwards.

Just an FYI I think you can find a clicky on page 70 of the book. DDI has this image available in it's Gamma World art gallery.

There is one more encounter that I think you missed, it has 3 Laser Gun batteries. While not "monsters" per se, it's another encounter with a stat block. I also think that they are in a non-mapped room. Here's a tip though, if your store lets you, the poster for Gamma World game day has the evacuation plan on it, I *think* it's standard minis size. If that's the case, you have the extra rooms needed for the two non-mapped encounters.
The three lasers are in the final encounter in the Beta Chamber room. They're quite prominent on the included map.

Those standies are nice, i was thinking about doing that as well, but would need them for the PCs.

To get the tokens that were missing, I just went ahead and set up shrinky dink versions. They're square, which is fine with me, but since I haven't actually shrunk them, I'll let you know how they turn out afterwards.

Do you mean the various origin illustrations? I considered doing that, but with so many combinations, who can say whether a character would actually appear as the picture? My current plan is to pull out my box o' minis and let the players pick.

Just an FYI I think you can find a clicky on page 70 of the book. DDI has this image available in it's Gamma World art gallery.

I don't think that creature is technically a klicky. It appears to be more grasshopper/mantis than roach. However, I do like it better than the one I found. I'll update the standies soon.

Kerry

'Klicky' was in Omega World, it was like a race - if you were a mutated insect of any kind, you were a 'Klicky.'  I played a Klicky in Omega World who was a giant a ladybug.

I haven't looked... are there scaling rules? If so, do the standies account for that?

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I just updated the standies (and the link).

As far as scaling...
Show

All the creatures except the dabber are Medium. The dabber is Small and is sized accordingly.

Kerry
Thanks for the standies!  I had a few questions. 
I guess the one was kind of answered about the Beta Chamber, guess I'll use it as a second wind as suggested. 
The others are the Klickies have climb (spider climb) but I didn't see where that ability is described, perhaps in Essentials? 
One more was about engineered humans being able to overcharge everything +2, but as a secondary origin this shouldn't apply since only the primary origin's overcharge bonus applies?
There are alternate character generation methods that would allow for a primary-Engineered Human.  So, yeah, if you use the random method, EHs are always secondary, and never get that bonus.  But, if you use an alternate choose-your-primary method, they could be primary and the bonus would aply.

OK: Shrinky Dinks are done. they're not 100% square (the sides are wavy) but they're workable. Nice, thick, the colors are good.

A few notes: Shrinky Dinks are supposed to reduce to 1/3 their size and their thickness should increase by 9x. The thickness works well, definately.

The size is another issue. I scaled my originals at 3 inches per side to reduce to 1 inch per side. the actual dimensions when shrunk are 1.25 inches wide by 1.125 inches tall (1 1/4" x 1 1/8").

It's not perfect and if I wanted to sand them down, I would. But the long and the short of it? Nice, durable plastic tokens aren't bad at all. I can get 6 tokens out of 1 8x10 Shrinky Dink sheet (yes, you run it through an inkjet printer). @ 6 sheets per pack, that's 36 medium-sized tokens for 11$.

I'd say that's worth it for custom tokens when you need them. You can even make them with graphics chosen by your players for custom PC tokens. Not too shabby.

If you want perfect, print your tokens on a full-page label and stick it to a sheet of chipboard (cardboard like you can find on the back of pads of paper) and cut them yourself.
There are alternate character generation methods that would allow for a primary-Engineered Human.  So, yeah, if you use the random method, EHs are always secondary, and never get that bonus.  But, if you use an alternate choose-your-primary method, they could be primary and the bonus would aply.

You could also make an Engineered Human origin the primary origin since it's supposed to override looks and junk to make your character look more like an ancient...I might just do this for my games, though I'm still thinking about it.
Sorry, for scaling I meant rules for adjusting the challenge level for 4 players or 6 players vs the default of 5. Sometimes an adventure will suggest adding or removing a creature of the encounter level. I really need to read the adventure... anyway, if there are scaling rules it looks as if you have the space to add any extras that might be needed.

I created some standies for this game day (instead of miniatures). The file can be downloaded from docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwSEGjOnxAb....

Kerry

Any chance you can number them? I really like having numbers on monsters especially if they look alike.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
Sorry, for scaling I meant rules for adjusting the challenge level for 4 players or 6 players vs the default of 5. Sometimes an adventure will suggest adding or removing a creature of the encounter level. I really need to read the adventure... anyway, if there are scaling rules it looks as if you have the space to add any extras that might be needed.

There aren't any scaling rules in the module, but it's not hard to take out one monster if you need to, or add an extra one in. So yeah a few extra would be nice but eh just print another sheet, IMO.

The three lasers are in the final encounter in the Beta Chamber room. They're quite prominent on the included map.

Now that I look at the map, I see you're right. That makes things easier

On to finishing up the last few tokens I need.
There aren't any scaling rules in the module, but it's not hard to take out one monster if you need to, or add an extra one in. So yeah a few extra would be nice but eh just print another sheet, IMO.

For some creatures, it wouldn't even be necessary to print another sheet. All encounter standies are listed independently of each other so you actually have more standies than you technically need for any creature that appears in more than one encounter. Then again, if you want to smash them, burn them, or crumble them up and throw them at the player who killed them (not that I advocate this act of violence in any way Innocent ), you'll need to print more sheets...

Kerry
Any chance you can number them? I really like having numbers on monsters especially if they look alike.

No! Never! Over my dead body! Well... maybe this one time. (I've added an extra critter to each encounter for scaling the adventure as well.)

docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwSEGjOnxAb...

Kerry
Yay, these are awesome! Thanks, Kerry!
Yes, these are great. Thank you so much for all the hard work.