DPR King Candidates 2.0

1766 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nelphine broskie... please check your Inbox for a PM.  Thanks.
Well I'll be.. there's PM's on these forums?  MC-DrowBane was asking about Shock and Awe and giving yourself actions; I don't know any 100% raw methods to do that, my massacre of the gods was originally going to use Glamor Blade to do it, but that got errata'd fairly heavily.  I'm now using a summoned creature in order to do it, which obviously has glaring flaws.

Massacre of the Gods is really designed simply to show off how one can get a lot of actions, and a lot of bonus damage per action, rather than be a 100% working build.  But I didn't recieve much feedback on it, so I haven't really updated it. 
----------------------------------------------------
Human Slayer

Level 1 Human Slayer

Class Features and Powers
Level 1: Heroic Slayer
Level 1: Weapon Talent
Level 1: Fighter Stances
    *Unfettered Fury

Str(18) +4
Dex(17) +3

Feat: Surprising Charge
Feat: Weapon Proficiency: Gouge

Weapon: Gouge, +2 prof, 2d6, Brutal 1, Axe, Spear [DSCS]

Attack: 4(Str) + 2(prof) + 2(CA) + 1(Charge) + 1(Weapon Talent) + 1(Spear Expertise) = 11 vs AC (7+11-1)/20 = Miss(1-3) Hit(4-19) Crit(20)
Damage: 2d6b1(Gouge) + 2d6b1(Surprising Charge) + 4(Str) + 3(Heroics Slayer/Dex) + 4(Unfettered Fury) = 27
Critical: 12(Gouge) + 12(Surprising Charge) + 4(Str) + 3(Heroics Slayer/Dex) + 4(Unfettered Fury) = 35
DPR: 0.15(0) + 0.80(27) + 0.05(35) = 23.35

Assuming Charge and CA
How do you get +11 attack ?
-- You don't have Spear Expertise.
-- Unfettered Fury gives you a -2 to the attack roll.
On the positive side you can go Str 20, Dex 14 without losing damage, but getting a +1 to attack. Viable stances are Berserker Charge or Battle Wrath.

But let me file a new one of my own...

L1: Human, Thief

20 Dex
-- Gritty Sergeant Background: Rapier prof, +1 init
-- Feats: Light Blade Expertise, Surprising Charge
-- Weapon: Rapier with +2 dmg from Weapon Finesse

Based on the very liberal assumption that there is any one ally adjacent to at least one enemy, I'm virtually guaranteed CA and being able to charge thanks to First Strike, Tactical Trick and Escape Artist's Trick. Thus while I use both elements, I can generate them myself.
In a real game you'll be most likely fine with either, and instead take Acrobat's Trick as second choice for mobility and when you have good aid from your party for charging & CA.

To-Hit: 5 dex + 3 prof + 2 CA + 1 charge + 1 exp = +12 vs AC 15 = 10% miss // 85% hit // 5% crit
Dmg: 5 dex + 2 finesse + 1 LB exp + 2d8 rapier + 2d6 SA = 8 + 9 + 7 = 24 normal // 36 crit
=> 0.85 * 24 + 0.05 * 36 = 22.2 DPR

Considering all the other damage enhancing feats, that build in fact scales quite well. At higher levels non-humans might beat it though.
How do you get +11 attack ?
-- You don't have Spear Expertise.

Missed that I removed Spear Expertise, should of course not be there.

-- Unfettered Fury gives you a -2 to the attack roll.

Unfettered Fury gives -2 to "attack rolls with weapon powers". I did not think Basic Melee Attack was a power but since you mentioned it I read the PBH closer and of course you are correct.

That drops it down to something like 17.95 dpr. Aw well.

Hope these are legit at least:

Human Slayer

Level 1 Human Slayer

*Berserker's Charge

Str(18) +4
Dex(17) +3

Feat: Weapon Proficiency: Gouge

Weapon: Gouge, +2 prof, 2d6, Brutal 1, Axe, Spear [DSCS]

Attack: 4(Str) + 2(prof) + 2(CA) + 1(Charge) + 1(Weapon Talent) + 2(Berserker's Charge) = 12 vs AC (7+12-1)/20 = Miss(1-2) Hit(3-19) Crit(20)
Damage: 2d6b1(Gouge) + 2d6b1(Surprising Charge) + 4(Str) + 3(Heroics Slayer/Dex)= 23
Damage: 12(Gouge) + 12(Surprising Charge) + 4(Str) + 3(Heroics Slayer/Dex) = 31
DPR: 0.10*0 + 0.85*23 + 0.05*31 = 21.1

Human Thief

Dex(20) +5

Rogue's Trick: Acrobat's Trick

Background: Gritty Sergeant (Rapier)

Feat: Light Blade Expertise

Attack: 5(Dex) + 3(Prof) + 2(CA) + 1(Charge) + 1(Light Blade Expertise) = 12 vs AC (7+12-1)/20 ) = Miss(1-2) Hit(3-19) Crit(20)
Damage: 1d8(Rapier) + 1d8(Surprising Charge) + 2d6(Sneak Attack) + 5(Dex) + 2(Weapon Finesse) + 2(Acrobat's Trick) + 1(Light Blade Expertise) = 26
Crit: 8(Rapier) + 8(Surprising Charge) + 12(Sneak Attack) + 5(Dex) + 2(Weapon Finesse) + 2(Acrobat's Trick) + 1(Light Blade Expertise) = 38
DPR: 0.10*0 + 0.85*26 + 0.05*38 = 24
Hrhr, just realised how badly abusable the Thief is with the charging rules:

L6: Human, Thief
20 Dex
-- Feats: Light Blade Expertise, Surprising Charge, Backstaber, Nimble Blade, Mounted Combat
-- Items: L7 Dire Boar (yes folks, you have to pay for that thing), L6 Horned Helmet, L5 Vanguard Rapier +1, GP Bracers of Mighty Striking

Because my mount is my ally, I can use Tactical Trick all day and hence get my distance to charge as well as gaining CA for it.

To-Hit: 3 lvl + 5 dex + 3 prof + 1 enh + 1 exp + 3 CA + 1 charge + 1 WT = +18 vs AC 20 = 5% miss // 90% hit // 5% crit
Damage: 5 dex + 2 finesse + 1 exp + 1 enh + 2d8 rapier + 1d8 vanguard + 1d6 HH + 2 item + 2d8 SA [+ 1d8 crit] = 37 normal // 61.5 crit
=> 0.9 * 37 + 0.05 * 61.5 + 0.95 * (0.6 * 20 + 0.05 * 29) = 49.15 DPR
Easily supposed L20 DPR at L6 without any shenangians, on a perfectly playable build and completely self reliant. Let's say I'm pleased.

If I have a way to gain CA by other means (charing into a flank, target dazed, ...) this becomes even meaner. I then use Unbalancing Trick to gain the distance, and as I knock prone on my hit, my mount deals even more damage.
=> 0.9 * 37 + 0.05 * 61.5 + 0.95 * (0.7 * 24 + 0.05 * 34) = 54.61 DPR with CA

And as long as my mount hits (62% without / 72% with CA like after winning init) I can charge again with an AP. => ~106 DPR on a usual AP nova round using my two Backstabs, without any support needed. Now who said Essential classes couldn't nova ? ;)
Oh, and the guy still makes a great weapon to be wielded by a Warlord or the like...

PS: Numbers look correct, Lej. You still rely on gaining CA by your allies and possibly taking OAs to get your charge, though.
You guys continue to astound me
I'd like some way of evening the battlefield between non- CA+Ch vs you guys though 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Erm... both build generate CA and Charge themselves - reliably !
Don't know how you could make that more even...

The only thing you could do to even out stuff at L6 (and somewhat in general) is to nuke mounts. But they're RAW and as long as you pay the cost (item and feat) it's as legal as it can be...
Can you use Tactical Trick with your mount to avoid OAs? I'm not so sure.

When riding you are inside your mounts space. Tactical Trick prevent OAs when "leaving squares adjacent to your allies". Are you adjacent to your mount if you are inside it's space? Then again, the mount probably occupies more than 1 square.
Even if a build can guarantee its own CA or charge, it'd be neat if there was a comparably good build that didn't require CA or charge.
@ Lej:
Mounts are specifically your own allys, yes. And how more adjacent can you get to one than when you sit on it ? ;)

@ FriendlyBiscuit:
Hrm, I don't really see why. That pretty arbitrarily slashes classes (most notably: Rogues & Barbarians). Both are pretty straight and legal RAW techiques since PHB1 - and during Heroic they're seemingly some of the best.
The whole points is that relying on others to get CA, and then eating OAs to charge is indeed iffy. DIY or DIE !
@ Lej:
Mounts are specifically your own allys, yes. And how more adjacent can you get to one than when you sit on it ? ;)

@ FriendlyBiscuit:
Hrm, I don't really see why. That pretty arbitrarily slashes classes (most notably: Rogues & Barbarians). Both are pretty straight and legal RAW techiques since PHB1 - and during Heroic they're seemingly some of the best.
The whole points is that relying on others to get CA, and then eating OAs to charge is indeed iffy. DIY or DIE !

I hadn't fully grasped how they generated their own CA and ability to Charge.  I see it now.  Without this understanding the only reason I allowed the DPR as quoted was because of surprising charge, and its need for both combat advantage and charging.  Like a rogue needs CA to compete, so surprising charge would need both to work.  it was on the threshold of allowable.  But seeing how it generates both on its own I'm fine with them.  I should probably take off the CA,Ch modifiers.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
As a note, I improved the Marilith Summoner (completely changed the chassis, so that I no longer have the wonky Fighter|Wizard hybrid that feels a bit clunky at lower levels) and he now reaches 379 DPR.

I've simply edited the old post for now, here:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

But hopefully I shall one day be able to post up a proper thread that showcases complete 30 level builds for both versions. 
*Edited to make it clear this is not an at-will dpr build*
(CA) Half-Orc Rogue|Monk(6th) (8)

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 6
Half-Orc, Monk|Rogue
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Stone Fist (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Will
Hybrid Talent: Rogue Tactics (Hybrid)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)
Rogue Tactics (Hybrid): Brutal Scoundrel (Hybrid)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 19 Fort: 17 Reflex: 19 Will: 15
HP: 47 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Athletics +12, Thievery +13, Stealth +13, Bluff +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +6, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +2, Streetwise +4

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Violent Awakening
Level 6: Versatile Expertise

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Five Storms
Hybrid at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Open the Gate of Battle
Hybrid daily 1: Press the Advantage
Hybrid utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Hybrid encounter 3: Low Slash
Hybrid daily 5: Disrupting Fist
Hybrid utility 6: Quicksilver Motion

ITEMS
Ki Dagger +1, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Ghost Strike Ki Focus +2, Short sword, Shadowdance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

The At-will DPR for this build is honestly fairly low.  The whole idea is to stack multiple striker features into the same round.

64.59(77.59) Encounter Nova (no AP, with CA) Calc:
Show

Using the Ghost Strike Ki focus +2
Open the Gates of Battle (standard): +13 vs Reflex, 3d10 + 5 dex + 2 enh + 2 item.
Stonefist Flurry (free): 3 + 4 str + 2 ki dagger
20% miss, 75% hit, 5% crit:  3d10+9 + 9 flurry = 34.5 hit/55 crit
28.625 expected damage

Low Slash (minor): +16 vs Reflex, 1d6 + 5 dex + 2 enh + 2 item + 4 str(flank)
Sneak Attack: 2d8 + 4 brutal scoundrel
5% miss, 90% hit, 5% crit: 1d6 + 13 + 2d8 + 4 = 29.5 hit/39 crit
28.5 expected damage

Furious Assault (racial): 1 w or 1d8 bonus damage on an attack, with an additional +4 (str) if it procs on Open the Gates of Battle.
80% chance to be used on Open the Gates of Battle: 1d8 + 4 = 6.8 expected damage
20% * 95% chance to be used on Low Slash: 1d6 = 0.665 expected damage
1% chance to be not used at all: 0 damage
7.465 expected damage
Though this really should be saved for a monk power.

Sneak in the Attack (minor): allows the next ally to hit the target to deal additional damage equal to your sneak attack damage.
2d8 + 4 = 13 expected damage.

Total: 64.59 expected damage
or 77.59 with Sneak in the Attack.

83.39(96.39) Daily Nova (no AP, with CA) Calc
Show

Using Press the Advantage (rogue daily 1) if you bloody the target at some point:
+16 vs AC  2d6 + 5 dex + 2 item + 2 enh
80% chance to hit, 5% chance to crit for an additional 14.2 expected damage. 
The Monk Daily Disrupting Fist can be used in the initial round as well if you start adjacent* to the target.  Stance: +2 power bonus to melee damage rolls. 
This would add an additional 3.1 (4.6 with press the advantage as well) expected damage
*Using the Monk encounter Utility Quicksilver Motion, you can move your speed as a free action as the first or last action you take in a round.

Anyway, with both daily powers in the nova, it'll add 18.8 to the encounter nova and be 83.39(96.39) expected damage.
And you'll still have your action point remaining to do an at-will nova.

37.025 (53.085) At-will Nova (ie with action point and CA)
Show

Five storms: +13 vs Ref 1d8 + 5 dex + 2 enh + 9 flurry
75% chance of 20.5, 5% chance of 31 = 14.875 expected damage.
Riposte Strike: +16 vs AC: 1d6 + 5dex + 2enh +2item +2d8 +4brutal scoundrel
80% chance  25.5, 5% chance of 35 = 22.15 expected damage
If the target attacks back: Riposte II: 15 vs AC: 1d6 + 4 str + 2enh + 2 item + 2d8 + 4 brutal scoundrel
80% * 75% chance of 24.5, 80% * 5% chance of 34 = 16.06 expected damage.
Total of: 37.025 (53.085 with the immediate interupt)

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
It's pretty easy to calculate expected DPR starting without CA.  If your attacks generate CA and you know the probability of hitting with each attack, you know the probability of having CA on the next attack.  

If your base chance to not miss is 60%, probability of CA on attack 1 = 0; attack 2 = 60%; attack 3 = 84%; attack 4 = 93.6%, etc.

Calculate your extra damage due to CA (+2 to hit, extra X damage) and multiply it by your chance of having CA.

[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
Fierbug, if you do this modification I will remove the CA modifier on your DPR.  if you don't want to go through the hastle I'll post it.  If you don't respond within 1 day I'll assume the latter.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
It's pretty easy to calculate expected DPR starting without CA.  If your attacks generate CA and you know the probability of hitting with each attack, you know the probability of having CA on the next attack.  

If your base chance to not miss is 60%, probability of CA on attack 1 = 0; attack 2 = 60%; attack 3 = 84%; attack 4 = 93.6%, etc.

Calculate your extra damage due to CA (+2 to hit, extra X damage) and multiply it by your chance of having CA.

If I use this method, it assumes I have a way to generate CA from my own attacks.  My attacks (currently) do not generate CA.
However, if I trade out the Violent Awakening Feat for Menacing Thug, I can make something work.
Also, Low Slash is relying on having a flanking partner for the bonus damage (not sneak attack). Do you want me to remove that as well?  Perhaps I need to make a (Flank) vs (NoFlank) scenario?
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Firebug, I believe the issue is that when you write 'DPR', in this thread we usually assume that means at-will DPR, unless you mention otherwise.  What you seem to have actually generated is an encounter nova (that relies on flanking with a party mate, which is imo totally reasonable for an encounter nova); whereas other builds (like Langewielle) are purely at-will DPR (which generate their own CA).
I see, and I am assuming the at-will DPR is also assuming no action points?  Regardless, should I be posting this elsewhere or just making the caveat 'encounter nova dpr'?
True, True.  There need be no further calculation for a nova entry.  I'll add it.  If you want true DPR that must be done based on at-will powers, or if you use power points you must be able to do 6 rounds using the same sequence.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
I see, and I am assuming the at-will DPR is also assuming no action points?  Regardless, should I be posting this elsewhere or just making the caveat 'encounter nova dpr'?

THis place is a recepticle for both at-will DPR candidates and nova entries.  You can call it DPR, but it would be clearer if it was labeled damage for 1 round.  Per round implies that the number of rounds is greater than 2 or 3, and you can't use those all powers more than once.  Typically I just write down the expected damage (most common).  Some people write down the damage if all hit.  We have so few candidates that I accept all.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
Actually, looking back at my post, I didn't include the +2 to hit for having CA/Flank. Just the additional damage from Sneak Attack or Low Slash flanking bonus.
Anyway, the way I envision this character is
Round 1: move to a flanking position (preferably with a defender who is adjacent to the target but hasn't hit it) > Open the Gates of Battle > Low Slash
Round 2: Five Storms > Move if needed to allow next ally in init CA > Sneak in the Attack
Round 3: At-will Nova (ie use an action point): Five Storms > Riposte Strike
So DPR kinda made sense to me, as I am getting both Monk Flurry and Sneak attack on at least 3 rounds in a row (4 if the target attacks me back with riposte strike, or 5 at level 7 with another minor action rogue power, Snap Shot).

But if you like I can go back and edit my previous post (or repost it) to be more clear on the encounter nova situation.
Just spend your turn doing whatever and spend an action point to do something else.  Calculate expected damage and report that as your nova damage.  Assume Sneak in the attack will be applied so feel free to add that in at 100%
DPR King Candidates 3.0
Mora the unkillable avenger makes 77.5 At-Will DPR @ 30.

117 if you allow encounter powers, she's got 3 minor action attacks, and 2 interupts, as well as being able to recharge once or twice.  so i assume 1/turn.

Not top, but it beats out a some of the lower ones on your list.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I have edited my initial post to show that its not an At-Will DPR build but rather a nova build, and adjusted the to-hit calculations to include combat advantage.  I was previously assuming combat advantage for damage, but not to hit.
I have edited my initial post to show that its not an At-Will DPR build but rather a nova build, and adjusted the to-hit calculations to include combat advantage.  I was previously assuming combat advantage for damage, but not to hit.

Is it too dificult to calculate encounter and daily nova with AP, as that's what the rest of the candidates will be doing.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
My issue is an action point doesn't really add that much to my nova, because my striker feature(s) are limited to 1/round.  So as I kinda showed at the end there, for maximum damage, the action point should be delayed a few rounds until the various minor attacks etc, have already been used. To allow another round with both flurry and sneak attack.
I updated Pyronious with a minor correction that drops his DPR by .85 to 111.2.

I also added variant "Pyronious B" - B as in Balor - for the level 30 version.  This switches from Demigod to Archspell and adds about 5 DPR to his Scorching Burst and a single target attack from the Balor's at around 130 DPR(100 if he's targetting a target of the Scorching Burst).  Assuming the Balor is attacking a target inside the Scorching Burst, the DPR listing for Variant B would be something like 216.7 + 116.7(5x5).  Also, due to a wording loophole, it has 15 DR every encounter once Mr. Balor has joined the party!

The actual math gets scary and strange(AoE hit/Balor miss, AoE miss/Balor hit, already has ongoing? etc), so that's close enough.

An interesting thing about this build is, higher defenses aside, it's actually better against elites and solos since they will make their saves more often and take more damage from Icy Clutch and Hellfire master!
My fantasy novel: Continent in the Clouds
L16 Human Thief

24 Dex
-- Feats: Light Blade Expertise, Surprising Charge, Backstabber, Nimble Blade, Silvery Glow, Cyclone Warrior, Kulkor Arms Student, Wintertouched, Lasting Frost, Deft Blade, Power Attack
-- Paragon Path: Kulkor Arms Master
-- Items: +3 Frost Rapier, Horned Helmet (Paragon), Syberis Shard of Merciless Cold (Paragon), Gloves of Ice (Paragon), Bracers of Mighty Striking (Paragon)

-- CA from Frostcheese
-- Charge from Shift 2 with Unbalancing Trick
-- Prone from Unbalancing Trick

To-Hit: 8 lvl + 7 dex + 3 prof + 3 enh + 2 exp + 3 CA + 1 charge + 1 WT - 2 PA = +26 vs Ref 28 = 5% miss // 90% hit // 5% crit
Charge: 7 dex + 4 finesse + 2 exp + 3 enh + 3 feat + 2d8 rapier + 5 vul + 3 Shard + 2 GoI + 2d6 HH + 4 item + 3d8 SA + 4 PA [+ 3d6 crit] = 66.5 normal // 99.5 crit
MBA: 7 dex + 4 finesse + 2 exp + 3 enh + 3 feat + 1d8 rapier + 5 vul + 3 Shard + 2 GoI + 4 item + 4 PA [+ 3d6 crit] = 41.5 normal // 55.5 crit
=> 0.9 * 66.5 + 0.05 * 99.5 + 0.95 * (0.85 * 41.5 + 0.05 * 55.5) = 100.97 DPR

Now give me a suitable L16 mount (like an upgaded Dire Boar) and I can kick these numbers quite a bit further.
An Adult Pack Dragon is the best I could find here by just from the book mobs, but it's not really good, so I left it out to not rely on a mount, as I made the 100 DPR nonetheless.

Oh borg, you remember to remove the CA / Ch tags from my L1 / L6 Thiefs ? ;)
Level 1 Bugbear Slayer

*Berserker's Charge

Str(18) +4
Dex(18) +4

Weapon: Large Gouge, +2 prof, 2d8, Brutal 1, Axe, Spear [DSCS]

Attack: 4(Str) + 2(CA) + 1(Charge) + 1(Weapon Talent) + 2(Berserker's Charge) = 10 vs AC (7+10-1)/20 = Miss(1-4) Hit(5-19) Crit(20)
Damage: 2d8b1(Gouge) + 2d8b1(Surprising Charge) + 4(Str) + 4(Heroic Slayer/Dex)= 28
Damage: 16(Gouge) + 16(Surprising Charge) + 4(Str) + 4(Heroic Slayer/Dex) = 40
DPR: 0.20*0 + 0.75*28 + 0.05*40 = 23

Assuming CA and Charge
I mulled over some builds if wouldn't get similar number with a Riposte Rogue (cf L6 Strangler). They all came in between about 80 and 95 DPR at L16.
The best in fact uses catch-22 without Riposte. It's a bit more tactical demanding, but also more durable as it's always hidden instead of being in melee with some baddy. The advantage is that it scales very well, as it doesn't rely in a do-or-die fashion on its L16 feature. During Heroic you can easily play him as regular Riposte Rogue and then just retrain the feats.

L12 & 16 Bugbear Rogue

22/22 Dex, 20/22 Str
-- Cunning Sneak
-- Feats: Light Blade Expertise, Backstabber, Silvery Glow, Improved Cunning Sneak, Risky Shift, Acolyte of the Veil, Drawn Shadows, Lasting Frost // +L16: TWF, TWO
-- Paragon Path: Champion of the Vigil
-- Items: +3 Frost Rapier, Syberis Shard of Merciless Cold (Paragon), Gloves of Ice (Paragon), Bracers of Mighty Striking (Heroic / Paragon), +2 Frost Dagger; Enshrouding Candle, Assassin's Cloak, item with bonus to Stealth (eg. Boots of Stealth)
-- relevant Powers: Acrobatic Strike, Persistent Tail

Sequence:
Requirement: no allys directly nearby (same as for example Melee Ranger using the Prime Shot feat chain)
Basis: Enshrouding Candle & Drawn Shadows give us perma-concealment, which is enough to hide with Cunning Sneak
-- shift 2 to hide
-- Acrobatic Strike -> shift 2 again as effect to re-hide
-- target can't attack us due being hidden, hence must either
---- move (OA !) and we also follow with Persistent Tail
---- shift (we stay adjacent with Persistent Tail) and then use a ranged attack (OA !)
-- attacking always from hiding grants us CA, and due our PP 19-20 crit range and (L16) a re-roll when missing

L12: 82.82 DPR
To-hit: 6 lvl + 6//5 dex//str + 3 enh + 3 prof + 2 CA + 2 exp = +22 vs AC 26 = 15% miss // 75% hit // 10% crit, -5% on Str attacks
DMG: 6//5 dex//str + 2 exp + 3 enh + 3 feat + 1d10 rapier + 5 vul + 3 Shard + 2 GoI + 2 item + 3d8 SA = 45 hit // 70.5 crit, -1 on Str attacks
TWO MBA with Dagger: 5 str + 2 exp + 2 enh + 3 feat + 1d6 dagger + 5 vul + 1 Shard + 2 GoI + 2 item = 25.5 hit // 35 crit

(0.75 * 45 + 0.1 * (70.5 + (0.7 * 25.5 + 0.1 * 35))) + (0.7 * 44 + 0.1 * (69.5 + (0.7 * 25.5 + 0.1 * 35))) = 82.82 DPR

L16: 103.59 DPR
To-hit: 8 lvl + 6 dex//str + 3 enh + 3 prof + 2 CA + 2 exp = +24 vs AC 30 = 25% miss // 65% hit // 10% crit, reroll a miss
DMG: 6 dex//str + 2 exp + 3 enh + 3 feat + 1 TWF + 1d10 rapier + 5 vul + 3 Shard + 2 GoI + 4 item + 3d8 SA = 48 hit // 73.5 crit
TWO MBA with Dagger: 6 str + 2 exp + 2 enh + 3 feat + 1 TWF + 1d6 dagger + 5 vul + 1 Shard + 2 GoI + 4 item = 29.5 hit // 39 crit

2 * (1 + 0.25) * (0.65 * 48 + 0.1 * (73.5 + (1 + 0.25) * (0.65 * 29.5 + 0.1 * 39))) = 103.59 DPR

@ Lej:
How do you gain proficiency with the Gouge ?
That background I use only works for martial weapons.
I hate seing the phrase "Assume CA".  I really do think that DPR calcs should be done without assuming CA unless you can generate it yourself.  And if you can generate it, its benefits should be based on your probability of having it for the attacks in question.

The process is simple:
1) Calculate "Base DPR" without CA
2) Calculate "CA DPR" with CA
3) Calculate "extra CA DPR", which is just (CA DPR - Base DPR) ... the increase in DPR due to CA on a given attack.
4) Calculate "CA Probability" - probability of having self-generated CA on each attack (generally meaning (1 - probability of missing on all previous attacks in this round and last round))
5) Actual DPR from each attack = Base DPR + extra CA DPR(CA Probability)

Doing it this way gives you two key stats:
A) Expected DPR if you're getting help with CA (the results of Step 2)
B) Actual expected DPR if you're not getting help with CA (the results of Step 5)

For any real-world application, #2 is going to be at least as important as #1.  Right now, though, all we get for many of these builds is #1.  Remember that for most characters, you're going to have to generate CA anew with each new target unless you have outside help.  Even if you have a minor action utility granting CA, it's unlikely to be encounter-long.
[20:53] [SadisticFish] yeah Llamas convinced me
Very true.

But to defend my submissions, all of them have self-generating CA. Now in case that isn't automatic, you can assume 95%+ CA (for example Frostcheese and hitting on 2+). For the rare occasions that doesn't work, there's still utilities, APs to attack again, dazed targets, flanking, etc. Encounters aren't infinitely long.
IMHO that has to suffice here, considering how sloppy many other submissions are (for example ignoring item budget, having to eat OAs to charge the same target again, etc).
Two Things: 

My Marilith Summoner was updated to an Avenger Chassis; she now reaches 379 DPR.

I've also built another Avenger charger, using Eldritch Strike, who achieves 179 DPR:
Show

Revenant Avenger/Student of Caiphon/Eternal Seeker

Con 16->26, Dex 13->17, Wis 16->24

Gouge Proficiency, Spear Expertise, Silvery Glow, Warlock MC, Unarmored Agility, Improved Defenses

Impaling Spear, Arcane Admix, Wintertouched, Lasting Frost, Deadly Axe, Painful Oath

Hand of Divine Guidance, Long Stride, Versatile Mastery, Half-Elf Soul, Power Attack, Punishing Radiance

Charge w/ Eldritch Strike (cold due to Arcane Admixture; Radiant due to Painful Oath) with Martial Supremacy

Level 30 ED feature: Keeper’s Prescience

+6 Rending Gouge, Bracers of Mighty Striking, Gloves of Ice, Shard of Frost, War Ring, Ring of Giants, Horned Helm

To Hit: +15 lvl +8 con +6 enh +3 feat +2 prof +2 CA -2 Power Attack +1 charge = +35 vs Ref 42, roll twice; if don’t crit, roll twice again; if it's still not a crit, check your Keeper's Prescience roll (also use your Keeper's Prescience roll if your second double roll results in a miss).

= 0.2775 + (1-0.2775)*0.2775 + (1- 0.47799375)*0.15= 55.6294688% crit

= (1-0.2775)*0.09 = 6.5025% miss  (this number is currently too high, as it doesn't account for Keeper's Prescience)

= 1 – miss – crit  = 37.8680312% hit

Damage: 4d5+4 base +3 expertise +4 feat +5 vuln +7 oath +9 PA +4.8 punishing +6 enh +6 item +4 gloves +5 shard +3d6 helm = 12+10.5+57.8

= 80.3

Crit: 20+18+57.8 maxed base +12 giants +6d6 rending +1d6 war +6d5+6 high crit = 156.3

MBA: only 35.5199062% hit, only 66.8 damage, only 135.3 crit

DPR: 0.556294688*80.3 + 0.556294688*156.3 + 0.47799375*(0.355199062*66.8 + 0.556294688*135.3)

= 178.9378215

AC: 41, F: 43, R: 38, W: 42

Comment of the day:
Avenger's in epic have more potential for optimization than any other class, and (aside from things like slashers/zone sliders) always have higher DPR than any other class with a comparable build. 
School has been busy.  I'm on my last semester for my masters.  I plan on updating this weekend.  Thanks all for these great candidates.
DPR King Candidates 3.0

-- Acrobatic Strike -> shift 2 again as effect to re-hide

The errata states ..
Not Remaining Hidden: If you take an actionthat causes you not to remain hidden, you retainthe benefits of being hidden until you resolve theaction. You can’t become hidden again as part ofthat same action.

This doesn't work because of the specific stricture against becoming hidden as part of the same action that reveals you.
Good catch - crazy new stealth rules... always with stealth errata... Tongue out

But in fact I can also instead:
-- (std) Acrobatic Strike
---- shift 2 -> hide
---- attack
-- (move) shift 2 to hide again

Or do I miss something again ?
Congratulations on your Masters Borg!  Colour me supremely impressed.
That was a crap-ton of updating.  You guys are amazing.  82 DPR at level 12!!???!?!?  talk about broken.
We had our first encounter nova level 6 candidate.  Not that hard to beat, but as for right now, He's the king of level 6 encounter novas.  Can you beat 65 damage? 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
There's also Pyronious B to add at 216.7 + 116.7(5x5).  Can probably remove regular Pyronious since B's damage is significantly higher...
My fantasy novel: Continent in the Clouds
Sign In to post comments