Star Wars vehicles

Hi folks,

Is there a line of Star Wars toys or models that's more in less in scale with WotC's character-scale miniatures? I'm particularly interested in Clone War and Republic-era vehicles, like the LAAT/i and the AT-TE and such. It's a shame WotC didn't do more vehicle minis. An AT-TE mini to go along with the AT-AT would've been really cool.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Jonathan

"Something that distinguishes the Mr Windlings of the universe is the term 'in my humble opinion', which they think adds weight to their statements rather than indicating, in reality, 'these are the mean little views of someone with the social grace of duckweed.'"

~ Terry Pratchett, The Truth

FYI: I used to have a post count of roughly 10,000; it seems most of those posts got lost in various forum reshuffles. 

Scale questions will always bring Imperator58 out of the woodwork.
No, sadly, no effort has ever been made in any line (save one; more to follow) to have any consistent scale whatsoever. Whether it's model kits, Transformers, Titaniums or whatever, they're all done in "box scale" which means - as you might guess - whatever fits nicely into the standard container for that line. Sometimes a vehicle or two will make the grade out of pure dumb luck, but that's about it. Here's a link to the excellent (if incomplete) Star Wars scale reference from Starship Modeller:

www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/swars_s...

SWM are considered to be approximately 1/53d or so in size. Besides those models, a few OOP Action Fleet toys are a good match (AAT & escape pod come to mind, and the cloud car is pretty good... there are others too), as are some current-release Transformers. I'm trying to find a jedi tank, which looks to be a dandy fit. But yeah... you just gotta look. There's no rhyme or reason. One aspect of Star Wars that has not been planned well.

EXCEPT FOR: Japan's "F-Toys" which have produced a line of 1/144 scale vehicles & vessels. They're getting ready to pop Collection 4, but in that collection even they are straying into "box scale" with at least three ships that are out of scale (one grossly: a friggin' Star Destroyer). Nonetheless, it's a great line; but FAR off from SWM.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
Dang. Well, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

"Something that distinguishes the Mr Windlings of the universe is the term 'in my humble opinion', which they think adds weight to their statements rather than indicating, in reality, 'these are the mean little views of someone with the social grace of duckweed.'"

FYI: I used to have a post count of roughly 10,000; it seems most of those posts got lost in various forum reshuffles. 

The Transformers crossover of the Republic Fighter Tank is about 1/50 scale, so it is very close to minis scale, if you are interested in that.
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
The Transformers crossover of the Republic Fighter Tank is about 1/50 scale, so it is very close to minis scale, if you are interested in that.

I'm not familiar with that vehicle, but thanks for pointing it out. Are any of the other Transformers/Star Wars crossovers close to the right scale?

Here's a link to a thread in the customs section.  There are a lot of pictures, but if you scroll down, you can see a picture of the fighter tank.  

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

As for other crossovers, some of the ships like the Jedi starfighter might be pretty close.  The Seps' AAT is pretty close, too.  The AT-TE is a bit small, and the LAAT is, too.   I'd recommend checking the toy section of local stores and seeing what they have.

Here is a link to a LAAT gunship from squadron.com.  It's a snaptite model, but has fairly good scale.
www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=RM...

You can see pictures of this LAAT model in post #62 of this thread:

Hope this helps. 
IMAGE(http://home.comcast.net/~jps201/mst3k_files/ms_seats.gif) "An opinion is not a right to be express whenever it is false/incorrect/a lie." -LOL
As for other crossovers, some of the ships like the Jedi starfighter might be pretty close.  The Seps' AAT is pretty close, too.  The AT-TE is a bit small, and the LAAT is, too.   I'd recommend checking the toy section of local stores and seeing what they have.

Cool. Thanks. 

Here is a link to a LAAT gunship from squadron.com.  It's a snaptite model, but has fairly good scale.
www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=RM...

You can see pictures of this LAAT model in post #62 of this thread:

That's awesome! That one is almost perfect (maybe slightly on the small side)!

Note that the LAAT model is currently on sale. Wink
Last time Squadron put it on sale it was mentioned here and there was, I think, a bit of a rush. It quickly went back to full price. Snag it now.
It's 1/72d, but close enough to make good decor for the minis.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.

I've just ordered two. Came to $50 with the shipping.

Looks like Revell's got a whole line of Star Wars kits: here. They've only got two ground vehicles, though: the AT-AT and the AT-RT, the latter of which looks to be way too big (7 1/8" tall). I've also got WotC's AT-AT (not to mention several AT-STs).

What I really want is an AT-TE and maybe an AAT that are more or less to scale. There are some other cool Clone Wars-era ground vehicles as well. It's a real shame WotC didn't do more than just the AT-AT, but I suppose it wouldn't have been profitable enough.

HEre are some really cool card stock models, it takes little effort to put them together, and you can get the pages printed up pretty cheap at kinkos.

ghostofman.com/ 
HEre are some really cool card stock models, it takes little effort to put them together, and you can get the pages printed up pretty cheap at kinkos.

ghostofman.com/ 

Cool. He's got some nice models, including an AAT and several LAATs. No AT-TE though.

Too bad I just placed my order for the snaptite LAATs.

I've just ordered two. Came to $50 with the shipping.

Looks like Revell's got a whole line of Star Wars kits: here. They've only got two ground vehicles, though: the AT-AT and the AT-RT, the latter of which looks to be way too big (7 1/8" tall). I've also got WotC's AT-AT (not to mention several AT-STs).

What I really want is an AT-TE and maybe an AAT that are more or less to scale. There are some other cool Clone Wars-era ground vehicles as well. It's a real shame WotC didn't do more than just the AT-AT, but I suppose it wouldn't have been profitable enough.

Check the link above, post #6.  It shows a picture of the Transformers crossover AAT with some minis.  I think it's pretty close to scale.  It may be the closest you can find, for a reasonable price.

Pukunui:
Although a couple different scales have been quoted, I'm putting my money on the original Revell statement for the upcoming AAT at 1/50th, which will make it very close (fractionally large, about 106% SWM scale). That will be GREAT NEWS for many gamers who have begged without any satisfaction for WotC to release one. Additionally, as a model, it's easy to tweak, add detailing, repaint etc.
The AT-RT is monstrously too big, at 1/24th scale. Would go great with your typical car model, though!
Pukunui:
Although a couple different scales have been quoted, I'm putting my money on the original Revell statement for the upcoming AAT at 1/50th, which will make it very close (fractionally large, about 106% SWM scale). That will be GREAT NEWS for many gamers who have begged without any satisfaction for WotC to release one. Additionally, as a model, it's easy to tweak, add detailing, repaint etc.
The AT-RT is monstrously too big, at 1/24th scale. Would go great with your typical car model, though!

I guess I missed/forgot about the Revell 1/50th model.  If Imperator58 puts his money on it, I would, too.  Besides the fact that 1/50th is pretty darn close to the minis size, it will also look better than the Transformers version.  IG, you mind sending me an email when those are released?
Sounds good.

What about the Revell AT-TE that comes out later this month? On their website they say it's 202,9 milimeters long and that it would be 1:88 scale. But according to wookieepedia and starwars.com, the length of an AT-TE is 13,2 meters and that would put it at 1:65 if my calculations are correct.

Anyways, i took my chances and preordered one, hoping it'll be roughly the same scale as the minis. And i'll be sure to post some pictures when it arrives.
I've only seen 225mm as the length, but maybe that number had changed?  I'm getting around 1/58 scale in my calculations, assuming they are both measuring the same.  The 13.2 meters for the AT-TE includes the mass driver.  So, if 225mm also includes the mass driver, then I'm not sure where they are getting 1/98 scale from.  Will be interesting to see when it comes out.
Here is a great link to a French site showing something about all five upcoming Revell kits:

modelbox.free.fr/news/SW2010_P/index.htm...

Hope it works for y'all. In it, the box-stated length measurement of the AT-TE is 225mm. Revell has stated (elsewhere) that the scale is 1/98th - which would do us little good - but the French site estimates 1/59th, which would be acceptable. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see!
But, enjoy the pics.
Here is a great link to a French site showing something about all five upcoming Revell kits:

modelbox.free.fr/news/SW2010_P/index.htm...

Hope it works for y'all. In it, the box-stated length measurement of the AT-TE is 225mm. Revell has stated (elsewhere) that the scale is 1/98th - which would do us little good - but the French site estimates 1/59th, which would be acceptable. Like you said, we'll have to wait and see!
But, enjoy the pics.

Looks like my "around 1/58" scale was pretty accurate.  Laughing
MY biggest hope actually lies with the AAT. I can see all kinds of putzing around w/ multiple copies of that bad boy!!
From the Revell website (www.revell.de/starwars/produkte/AT-TE.ht...):

Model is 202,9 mm long and 1:88 scale. AT-TE 'real' size 19,81 meters (what?!??)

Maybe the 202,9 is excluding the massdriver? I sure hope so because 1:59 would be awesome. I can't wait to get my model and find out. The premiere date is october 20th as far as i can find out, so 10 days (plus shipping) and counting..

And i agree with you Imperator, the AATs will be so nice to have. I like the tan color scheme better but this'll definately do!
I'm guessing that length is without the mass driver.  I'm not sure where they got the 19.81 meters, though.   
That's awesome! Hopefully the AT-TE is close to the right scale.

I think this will be the closest to SW minis school that we've seen for an AT-TE.  

Any posts sharing the best price anyone can find would be appreciated. Smile

Biggsy, I've been thinking you're right and the measurement discrepancy is 202mm chassis length, 225mm to tip of MD. Yep; bigger is better, because I think it'll be pushing it no matter what we get.

Vaughn: The only quote I see for the AT-TE so far is $31.99 from Tower Hobbies. It isn't on my other sites' radar yet. The prices have been known to fluctuate once released, however; I noticed that Obi-Wan's & Anakin's Aethersprites are $15.99, but the upcoming Ahsoka Aethersprite (which is the same flippin' kit with a different paintjob) is projected at $21.99. SO, as with the rest, we'll have to wait and see!
I paid about $35 (£22.49) for mine at Wonderland Models in the UK, and ordered a LAAT/i to go with it as well. The AT-TE will be released the 20th as i already mentioned, and i'm really looking forward to seeing it assembled and accompanied by a few clone troopers! Next time i have a little excess cash, i'm going to buy a few AATs i think.
Some links from a German site, courtesy of a thread on Starship Modeler's forums:

Just LOOK at that gorgeous AT-TE!!

www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/i...

The AAT:

Attack Shuttle

And, though they're no use whatsoever to gamers, may as well show...
Grievous' fighter (which WILL match the now OOP Unleashed Battle Pack figures, if you collect those)

and Ahsoka's Aethersprite.

"Gettin' very excited!!"
Not that it matters at this point, but the Complete Cross Sections book lists 13.2 meters as the length of the hull only.  

p.s. I wouldn't say some of those starfighters are of no use to gamers. Starships that are in line with the character-scale minis would be useful for us RPGers.

Yah, but these aren't the starships you're looking for.
The three Aethersprites are probably twice minis size, the Grievous fighter & Magnaguard fighter are larger still, and the Assault Shuttle LOOKS to be way small - along the lines of Tyderium. The Torrent is a bit better, though. The best bets for the minis game are a few of the Pocket Easy-Kits. The Eta-2s are acceptable - a bit small, but acceptable. And they're cheap.
Yah, but these aren't the starships you're looking for.
The three Aethersprites are probably twice minis size, the Grievous fighter & Magnaguard fighter are larger still, and the Assault Shuttle LOOKS to be way small - along the lines of Tyderium. The Torrent is a bit better, though. The best bets for the minis game are a few of the Pocket Easy-Kits. The Eta-2s are acceptable - a bit small, but acceptable. And they're cheap.

Ah OK. To be honest, I'd be more inclined to go with cardstock models for "full-size" starships and other bits of 3D terrain. It's probably cheaper that way. The neat thing about those paper models that Momir Farooq has done is that you can scale them up to print at pretty much any size you want. One of my players is keen on that sort of thing, so I've got him printing and assembling ships for me to use as models on the character-scale battle mat (and hopefully some smaller ones to use on the starship-scale mat). Luckily, I also got a new player who has an extensive collection of SW minis that includes some old starship minis dating back to the early 80s that are roughly in scale with WotC's starships (not that the SSB minis are actually in any sort of scale with each other really ...). He's got some Cloud Cars, some Z-95 headhunters, and even a luxury yacht I can use for Darga's Glorious Chariot (from the Dawn of Defiance campaign).

I've seen some of Momir's stuff. Have his site saved in favorite Places. Definitely a good option - but as I have no gaming group, and cardstock is a bit fragile (though I have a number of old D&D buildings carefully packed away, and even a good collection of cardstock Spelljammer ships), I haven't ventured forth to build any. I'd recommend Momir Farooq's Cardstock to RPGers, though. Lessee...
There.

www.momirfarooq.com/
Imperator58,

Did you say that you have SpellJammer cardstock models?  Might I inquire about where you got those?   I loved the old SpellJammer deckplans that were included in the boxed sets and modules and would love to see them in 3D.

On topic, the models look great.  I can't wait to see how the AT-TE matches to scale with the minis.  

Also while I know that the Transformers line isn't necessarily very popular, they are much like the old Action Fleet with many of the starship and ground vehicles close to scale.  If you can ignore the lines they hold together pretty well as long as you don't transform it back and forth.  I wonder if some of the Transformers that have Action Fleet counterparts (i.e. Vader's Tie) didn't somehow use the Action Fleet molds as they are nearly identical in physical size.
At last we will have our revenge.
There were at least two boxed sets which contained cardstock sheets for the ships:

Legend of Spelljammer, and
Adventures in Space.
Look for 'em on eBay or Noble Knight.
I have those boxed sets with the cardstock counters.  With all of the talk of Momir's amazing 3D cardstocks I got overly excited that you had 3D cardstock SpellJammer ships.  Thanks for the details though.  I always enjoy the discussions of scales and models. 

Not exactly on the topic of vehicles, but ... I have a question about the Action Fleet models. I've seen the threads discussing the vehicles (so I know that it's pretty much just the landspeeders that are in scale with SWM), but I'm wondering about the figures. My friend has the "Destroyer Droid Ambush" set, and the droideka that comes with it is a pretty nice fig. It looks like it might be a little on the small side but more or less in scale. Is that right? I haven't got an actual WotC droideka mini to compare it too. But it looks like I can get some of those sets for fairly cheap on eBay, so I was wondering if it would be worth my time and money getting some more so I can have some cheap droidekas (because the WotC one is ridiculously overpriced). And if so are there any other Action Fleet figures that are worth collecting to supplement my SWM collection?

While I'm not sure of the exact scale of the Action Fleet figures (nor do I have the Destroyer Droid) they are much smaller than the minis.  I have attached a couple of comparison pics of a Rebel pilot and R2 to show the differences.  In each picture the mini is on the left and the Action Fleet figure on the right.

Hmm. Yeah, they do look a little small. According to wookieepedia, droidekas are 6ft tall (1.83m) when standing, and the Action Fleet one is a bit short compared to most average sized SWM humans, so I guess it's "too small" as well. It looked good compared to the rolled-up SWM droideka, but I haven't got an upright SWM droideka to compare it to.

If it helps, my SWM Clone Strike Destroyer Droid is 37mm tall, not including the base.

If you're using them for the rpg (i.e. not for diorama purposes), I suppose you could just stick 'em on a large base and tell your players, "picture 'em taller!" Laughing 

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

On the OTHER hand, there are Action Fleets other than speeders that will work with SWM. Not perfect, but certainly at LEAST in line with the tiles and map illustrations (and too, a number of official SWM figs are way too small, as well: droid tank, Homing Spider etc etc).
My favorite is the escape pod. What a great gaming accessory!
The Cloud Car is acceptable, and perhaps a little more likely to be involved in strafing the Party than, say, a B-Wing.
The Bongo is okay, but good luck with that one. I have it, but they're scarce.

Consider also looking for the Sandcrawler for the 3 1/2" action figures. That big fella is terrific for the minis (STILL too small, but that's okay. It's big enough to be believable)!