Season 2 Dropoff

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Two weeks ago I went from 3 players and suddenly had 8.  Last week I could have run 3 full tables of 6 and probably had a couple hangovers.

It seems that since the books came out (and those that purchased at GenCon) people have interest in the game again.  It's a shame that interest came about 11 weeks too late.

As it stands, I have DMs lined up to cover the influx of new players but it really seems like WotC just launched the boat a bit too early on this one.
Well, we had an absence of... a certain player... for a few weeks, and suddenly our attendance went up!

I'm sure it was a product of vacations, school preparations, or what have you. Positively. 

The only problem is, my right-hand DM is going back to school. We'll see what happens, but there's no way I can run a group of 8 on a regular basis. 
We also had our attendance go back up this week to near where we started.  I think it was simply trying to run through the summer that has had some toll on the tables.

With Univeristy starting back soon, I'm actually getting prepared for 50% more players (I know of some that have already contacted me that they are moving into the area). We have picked up a number of new players over the summer that tried it and I expect to be back once we are done with Dark Sun.

For Alphastream:  RE DMs.

I ensure DMs walk away with something, even if the DM just fills in one night for myself or the other regular DM (at least until I run out of stuf to give away).

I wish I could do store discounts... but I've organized all the events in this store for the last 5-6 months (and have Encounters booked into February) and don't get one myself

I am actively recruiting (as I will need a 3rd regular one come Season 3).  I'm going to try and get a chapter by chapter commitment from people... with one chapter being a new DM each week... just to give everyone who may be interested a try at it.

The problem with Meetup and other sites like that.... I'm in New Brunswick, Canada.... don't have the population base.  I did make up business cards for the store to give out; I get about one email inquiry for every 10 cards that go out.

Attendance didn't improve and we seem to be pretty much down to one table. I'm going to stop going because frankly while I'll run it I've got no interest in playing it. I dunno yet if I'll be able to do the next season, it'll depend on my school schedule, but I probably won't even if I can, since the format after six months of it just doesn't appeal to me and a 20 week season just fills me with meh.

It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.
We had a total of three people show up this week, myself included. Obviously that resulted in a cancel. We'll give it one more try next week, but at this point I don't have much hope left for the rest of the season, nor for a return of enough people to give us a realistic shot at the next one.
We saw attendance and interest plummet during chapter 1, but attendance seems to have been creeping higher with every session starting in chapter 2 and continuing through last week.  The program has even generated several new LFR players.  Most folks have even stuck with the pregens for story purposes.

Me, I was happy to leave Castri as a halfling-snack.
For stores with low populations, has the store been promoting heavily within the store and on various gamer sites? I've never had a problem finding gamers. It can take time to find them, but if there is a gaming store someone is buying stuff and would be interested in trying out D&D.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Not really, but this city seems to be heavily anti-4E. And no amount of promoting would have gotten most of the people I know who play 4E to actually play Season 2. Pregens was a no-go from the beginning for almost everyone here, and most of the people I know just plain dislike Dark Sun. Season 1 overflowed both tables the entire time to where promoting would have been pointless as it was already seven to nine people at both tables and only two DMs. Season 2, nope. They tried to have a make-up session today as they were two weeks behind because of GenCon and my move and only three people showed up(I couldn't make it) so they couldn't.

Well, hopefully things will pick up for them with season 3. I might even play in it if I can't get my college schedule changed to not conflict with the game I play in on Thursdays.

It's spelled Corellon Larethian, not Correlon, Correllon, Correlllon, Corellion, Correlian or any other way of getting it wrong. I'm a total grognard and I still play 4E.

Season 2 started fairly strong for us at about 20 people on Session 1. It peaked at session 6 with about 35 players. The owner of the store was giving his DMs store credit from the start of Encounters, but was not charging for the Encounters Games. This had to change when he needed to get more DMs. That caused a drop off in players down to 20 or so. We now are holding stead at about 24.
Promotion has been very important. I have found that now the Local Gaming Community knows about Encounters, but doesn't know about Game Days. The owners are trying to get more organized on online and offline promotion. Also, as has been pointed out, if you have a regular gaming group on Saturday, you will play there rather than at the Game Day. We had about 24 players at the Dark Sun Game Day and plan on having about the same on the Red Book Game day.

For stores with low populations, has the store been promoting heavily within the store and on various gamer sites? I've never had a problem finding gamers. It can take time to find them, but if there is a gaming store someone is buying stuff and would be interested in trying out D&D.

The store I am running encounters for will post any advertising that I give them.  I also made up a 'RPGA Business Card' that the store has been great at giving to anyone that purchases any D&D materials.  It pretty much just contains my contact information but they are also promoting Encounters to anyone that gets one. (They are excellent to work with in this aspect!)

Based on the last couple of weeks, and University starting again, I am expecting an extra table for Season 3 (currently run 2 tables).

I'll be using the 3rd table as a 'test run' for any of the players that have been playing encounters and that want to give DMing a try. 

I find that word is spreading, and more and more people are showing an interest... it just seemed people are reluctant to get into something like this over the summer.
I would just remind people too that for many people the summer is a whole different life than the school year and I for one can carve out my Wed nights suring the school year but can't do it reliably durring the summer so I didn't play this summer.  I would guess there are many people out there looking forward to season 3 starting up so they can get back in.
Sign In to post comments