Ask the Author (Fury of the Wastewalker)

261 posts / 0 new
Last post

i thought the

golems and traps encounter was 2-3 and the hejkin encounter was 2-4...

i thought the

golems and traps encounter was 2-3 and the hejkin encounter was 2-4...

Oops, yeah. Sorry, I was talking about 2-3! I will edit my older messages.

I like your interpretation, Nick! That means:
Spoiler for 2-3:

A PC triggers the trap. The trap fires at him/her. Then the trap goes in init, firing at that person from then on.

I would then think that if a different PC steps on a plate, the trap now fires at them instead (both as an immediate action and on its current init - either this round or next depending on init count).

That is actually a very cool visual... these trap devices behind the holes are tracking that one PC, firing on it. Pretty cool.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I like your interpretation, Nick! That means:
Spoiler for 2-3:

A PC triggers the trap. The trap fires at him/her. Then the trap goes in init, firing at that person from then on.

I would then think that if a different PC steps on a plate, the trap now fires at them instead (both as an immediate action and on its current init - either this round or next depending on init count).

That is actually a very cool visual... these trap devices behind the holes are tracking that one PC, firing on it. Pretty cool.

More on Encounter 2-3

yeah, the golems and trap are programmed with the same mind. The golems are there to both smash intruders and reset the trap, if necessary.

If i had the option, i would have modified the trap to incorporate multiple levels of success as you mentioned in an earlier post. I thought of that but the writing guidelines prohibited me from making changes to traps. I would have made each success on disabling the trap trigger some sort of benefit for the PCs.

I also like your idea about the dried out fountain, Alphastream1. Might be a useful enhancement to the story.

(corrected to add Spoiler block. Apologies)

Hey Nick,

[sblock=Spoiler]
I have a question about scaling this encounter for 6 players.

I thought about just following the standard guideline of adding an additional monster from the encounter, but I am concerned that 3 shard golems might be a bit much for the PCs.

Am I misguaging the strength of the golems? My thought is that they could fall quickly to focus fire, but the multiple Chaos Pulses and Dual Mind Sears might make too many PCs dazed or knocked out and really take the wind out of their offensive.

Other options I thought of was bringing back the mischevious Griefmote after a round of combat (that was a fun monster!) or maybe another Crystal Spider dropping from the hole in the ceiling.

Also, regarding the Dart-Thrower.. just wanted some clarification. My view of it based on the posts so far now is that once a PC steps on any of the pressure plates in the room, they are now targetted by that Dart Thrower and that there is one Dart Thrower associated with each pressure plate. No matter where the PC goes in the room, a triggered dart thrower will attack them on its turn until its out of darts, or is disabled by a Thievery check on the pressure plate square. Is that correct?

The book mentions being able to disable "Dart Thrower" squares, but I see no such marked squares on the map.

Clarification would be great. I also plan on allowing the PCs to make those DC14 perception checks to allow them to spot the nearest pressure plate to their current position if they wish to spend a Minor action to do so.
[/spoiler]

Thanks

-Charmy-, Please mark your post in a spoiler block!

Scaling Encounter 2-3

I think it might be interesting to add a second Dart Thrower to scale the encounter to 6 players. This would mean the two Dart Throwers could be disabled separately and could target two different characters.

Alternatively, you could add a Clay Scout (Level 2 Lurker) or two from the MM1. Story-wise, you could describe it as the animating remains of the smashed relics forming a primordial-energy-powered construct.
Since you brought it up, how do you post in a spoiler block? I searched and found one example, but it doesn't seem to work. 

[*sblock=spoilery stuff]blahblahblah[*/sblock] set of tags. Just remember to remove the *s otherwise it won't work. Teh above example gives you:

the [block=spoilery stuff]blahblahblah[*/sblock] set of tags. Just remember to remove the *s otherwise it won't work. Teh above example gives you:
like this     --    [*sblock=spoiler]     then add comments inbetween               [*/sblock]     then remove this symbol  *
Question on Map for 2-3
-Charmy- asked this question, and I didn't see that it was answered yet, so I figured I would chime in. The book mentions being able to disable "Dart Thrower" squares, but I see no such marked squares on the map.

Founding member of the Star Wars Adventure Writers Guild Organizer of the NorCal Star Wars Gaming League Avatar image by artist Steve Criado of Fandom Comics PST (GMT-8) Evening and Weekend Gamer VTT: Fantasy Grounds

Question on Map for 2-3
-Charmy- asked this question, and I didn't see that it was answered yet, so I figured I would chime in. The book mentions being able to disable "Dart Thrower" squares, but I see no such marked squares on the map.

That is an important question. This was asked and answered (along with other encounter clarifications) back in this post.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Being around naval weapons, I like the idea of

spoiler
 of the auto firing darts targeting the same character, "Phalanx Gun!"

I am taking a more linear interpretation for my treatment of the trap. Each pressure plate will have a corresponding dart hole. A dart can target a creature on the line between the dart hole, across the pressure plate, and to the opposite wall. Similar to the dart traps in an adventure movie. All darts originate from the same side of the map.

I'm also going to allow characters to disable using move actions. And allow the golems to reload with a standard action.

And thanks to Darkraven3 for help with spoiler blocks.
Question on Map for 2-3

That is an important question. This was asked and answered (along with other encounter clarifications) back in this post.

Thanks for the link... I had read that post a while back and wasn't expecting to find my answer there. Wink

Founding member of the Star Wars Adventure Writers Guild Organizer of the NorCal Star Wars Gaming League Avatar image by artist Steve Criado of Fandom Comics PST (GMT-8) Evening and Weekend Gamer VTT: Fantasy Grounds

Question about encounter 2-5:

Show

The monster blocks list there being 3 motes and 2 wraiths, but the encounter map has markers for 2 motes and 3 wraiths. Which is correct?

Question about encounter 2-5:

Show

The monster blocks list there being 3 motes and 2 wraiths, but the encounter map has markers for 2 motes and 3 wraiths. Which is correct?

Show

I wondered the same, but noticed that the motes have a special power which activates when a character is adjacent to three of them, so I assumed that three motes was correct.

As for their placing, I simply put the motes where the wraths were listed as starting, and the wraths where the motes  were.

Encounter 3-2 question.

Fey ripple

I was reading through the next chapter and I saw on the Features of the area for 3-2 it says there is a Fey Ripple outlined?

Now is that the same area that the PC's start in or is it a different area?

James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
The above question on 3-2 is a good one.
Show

The Fey Ripple area is important because it provides mobility so that PCs can maneuver despite the very small combat area. On the other hand, it can trivialize the Bonebreaker's grab. I am curious how you envisioned the Ripple area.

Additional questions on 3-2:

What is your concept around a PC being "separated from the frey"?  DMs can play it by ear, but I am curious what you were thinking in terms of this being a small combat area to begin with. It may be hard for a PC to separate more than 2 squares from their allies.

In looking at the stat blocks, the Bonebreaker seems a better candidate for the "hunter vs. prey" scenario. The Bonebreaker's grab and ability to drag would really fit the cinematic concept of a solo forest panther grabbing their prey and dragging it back into the forest. The Fey Panther is a skirmisher and likely to move away from the "prey", making it less cinematic in execution. Because of this I am thinking of swapping the stat blocks and names. Thoughts?

Have we been abandoned? The success of 3-2 as an encounter really hinges on
Show
the answer about where the Fey Ripple is located
 lacking input from Nick here is how Im going to handle the...
Show
Fey Ripple. If you note the copse of trees in the center of the map to the north east there is a 3/4's circle clearing, Im going to posistion the Fey Ripple in the center of that clearing to start with that would probobly be fine to just put it there and leave it if you want but Im going for a bit more drama.

At the start of Turn two Im going to move the ripple one square due east, then on turn three one square south, on turn four two squares west, on turn five two squares north and so on till is has inscribed a complete enlarging spiral(well a squared off spiral) of one loop then it will wink out at the end of the turn and reappear at the start of the next turn in its initial square.

I know the fight will conclude before it has compleated a circut but Ill describe its path while the party is looting and taking a short rest.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Read the first line for encounter 3-2:
Show

"The characters are placed anywhere in the clearing."

I'd assume the fey ripple is the outlined area on the map and they mislabeled it 'PC START AREA' as a habit due to every other previous map having an outlined pc start area.

Interestingly, the start area is a good one for the encounter.

Personally... I left the ripple out completely because I didn't know how to handle it in the encounter. Everything went well enough... although the encounter was strictly combat based and a little dry.

Sign In to post comments