squeezing?

When do I have to start unsqueezing?

For example if I were on the Deathstar map with Snowspeeder and I started in the middle room on the right side and I flew up one of the hallways outside the room would I have to start unqueezing as soon as I hit the end of the hall and have to move a square away from the center or could I keep going straight and unsqueeze toward the middle so I could get further up the map?

I think that I have to start as soon as possible (even if it means going in a direction I do not want to) because you cannot voluntarily squeeze but just wanted to make sure.
Yes, you must stop squeezing if the option is available. In the example on page 18 of the rulebook, the Wampa could not choose to move another square east rather than "unsqueezing" by moving north.
Follow up question:

P=pillar  X=open square

PXPXPX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

In the above diagram, if a huge character is squeezing (say left to right) past the pillars in the top row, does it occupy the open squares between the pillars in the top row as it moves?
Yes. You occupy all the squares under your base that you can legally occupy--anything but a wall square, a pit square, or a open square on the opposite side of a wall that blocks the entire length/width of the character's current space.
Thanks NN!
Follow up.

What spaces would a huge or large figure occupy as it squeezes through a smaller door.  Specifically, in the first move where technically you would be able to occupy both sides of the wall.  Is that the case?

xxww
xxww
xxww
wxxw
wxxw
wxww
wxww
wxww
wxww
xxww
xxww

x= hallway
w=wall

Not sure if my question has been answered specifically but above if I started at the bottom and was moving up the column would I have to move over (east) at the point where the hallway widens or could I continue north?

@bill

You would occupy squares on both sides of the door.  Your guy would be split in portions but you would occupy all squares that you can of your base which would include both sides of the door.  Also kind of fun if you come out of one of the 1 square tunnels on Bespin some of the neat interactions and spaces that you fill. 
What spaces would a huge or large figure occupy as it squeezes through a smaller door.  Specifically, in the first move where technically you would be able to occupy both sides of the wall.  Is that the case?

Yes. Characters may have an "infinitely thin slice" in their space due to thin, border-only, walls at times, but they occupy all squares they can legally occupy as noted above until such time as part of their space becomes completely severed.

Not sure if my question has been answered specifically but above if I started at the bottom and was moving up the column would I have to move over (east) at the point where the hallway widens or could I continue north?

You'd have to move over as continuing on would count as squeezing when it is not required there and a character cannot voluntarily squeeze--it may only squeeze when passing through an area on the map that would require it.

Thanks NN  See you in less than a week as I assume you are coming to Gencon