Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

"always in motion, the future is"
RS 55/60; CS 54/60; RotS 55/60; UH 46/60; CotF 60/60; BH 44/60; A&E 58/60; FU 49/60; LotF 60/60; KotOR 57/60;
CW 40/40; IE 39/40; JA 40/40; GaW 40/40; DT 39/40; MotF 40/40

But he never predicted the arrival of anakin or the rebel alliance winning or darth vader killing him. He was a genius but a fool in many ways.

Well, he foresaw the fact that a Skywalker would destroy him, as Vader says in ESB "you can destroy the Emperor, he has forseen this". He just forgot that Vader's name used to be Skywalker, too.

But anyway!
Just saw this news and I got to say "LAME". First you ruin D&D by releasing 4th edition and now you are going to cancel Star Wars. What a sad day. I guess I will not be buying any Wizards products in the future. Hope some good company gets the Star Wars license and does it true justice.

Disapointed customer!Frown
WotC should sell the mechanics for SW Minis and SW Roleplaying to Hasbro! The minis would be a perfect companion of Heroscape!
WotC should sell the mechanics for SW Minis and SW Roleplaying to Hasbro! The minis would be a perfect companion of Heroscape!

Except that, Hasbro already passed Heroscape down to Wizards...
Wow..if that plays as rediculous as it looks it gonna fall flat.

unless the kids pick it up and enjoy the heck out of it...

"Kids" deserve a better game.... Unless there are more complication than are apparent in the picture, the game will have no movement and will be decided by little more than a coin flip. Kids are smarter than that.

Kids in my experince especially young ones don't like complicated games.....they like stuff that is simply and easy and fun....

When I was teaching Kindergarten, I somehow got it into my head that the kids should be playing Catan. There was a version of the game made specifically for Kids. I read the back of the box and bought the regular Catan instead. The kids LOVED Catan. Granted, I needed to be there to guide and direct the whole thing, but I'm pretty certain that the kid-based game would have gone over like a lead brick. Keep in mind that these are 5 and 6 year olds that I'm talking about. Some of them started playing Minis (albeit on a very basic level) during their first grade year. I had bought some Top Trumps during my Kindergarten time. They got mostly ignored.

Now this is just one person's experience and it may be totally spurious, but I think that any of the mass marketed "gamer" products are good examples of what's going to happen to this idea. Do they still make Attaktix???? 

So just circling back with a confirmation that the Star Wars action figures with the pack-in card game will indeed be targeting the kid market, not the collectors or gamers:

www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic...

www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic...

*German Accent* Hmmm. Very interesting.

Those forums looked very interesting too.

I was gonna register just to post something about why toy companies do this kind of thing.

There's a reason that we used to see Batman in every color of the rainbow with loads of useless junk packed in: Someone did a market research of the opinions of mothers. So there's another reason to "Thank" them when they're doing 20mph less than everyone else on the road in the left hand lane talking on their phones in their minivan.
Really blows WotC isn't renewing the liscence.  Always been more of the RPG type than the minis type.  I've every version of the RPG, going back to West End Games, and this is the first edition where I will have all the books.  Granted, there wasn't much more they really could have done with the RPG, short of Gazetteering or doing pregen. adventures.  Oh well.  Play this edition, and hope someone picks it up.  I do like the minis though.  I own a couple hundred, really for the RPG and not the minis game.  Been a good run though.
One week till the miniature game goes the way of the Dinosaurs with Wotc!! My case will be in hand and opened by this time next Monday, forget release day rules! A couple of hours early is well deserved fro someone who has spent thousands of dollars on this game!
Well, I must say I am abit behind the times & recently heard of the cancellation of one of my favorite games from WoTC. I have read over some of the responses here & believe everyone to be genuinely saddened by this news. I for one thinks this news sucks. WoTC has brought us some very enjoyable games in the past & Star Wars Saga is no exception. But like all good things, an end is near. A pox on the economy excuses. Just admit your visionary designers can't come up with any more creative content & admit you are cirling your wagons around this "version" of Dungeons & Dragons you have birthed. We lost d20 Modern. We lost Dungeons & Dragons. Now we're losing Star Wars. I may not spek for the other fans of these systems, but I say leave our beloved fantasy the hell alone. You have become a spoiled child teasing a hungry dog with a bone. Show some respect to the gaming community & atone for your past sins.

Just my rant. Flame if you will but it's the way I feel.
I'm sure this has already been answered here, but still: how long will the books still be sold? It helps to know how much time I've got yet to complete the set.
I'm sure this has already been answered here, but still: how long will the books still be sold? It helps to know how much time I've got yet to complete the set.

Until August (I believe the end of August, but I'm not certain of that).

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

Until August (I believe the end of August, but I'm not certain of that).

Thanks for the response.

Sad news to hear, but from someone who works in an industry that deals with obtaining licences (even though much different field) to create work. I can fully understand the decision that has been made.

Those who blame the financial crisis excuse don't really understand on a world wide sales scale how true that really is. Also you must also realise that the prices for licences to do work do not remain stagnant and grow with each renewal.

In short dealing with other people's properties is not cheap and you must come to a point that your yearly profits must almost double the cost the price of the license each year. 

I hope you guys don't mind my brief little interjection here, but there should be zero speculation about Wizard's profits.  Why?  Because all of the information about them is openly available since Hasbro is a publically traded company!  All it took was a few minutes on their corporate website and I found out everything on my own.

First, Hasbro has recently reported a Q1 2010 profit of 7% in their games and puzzles division.  phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=683...  Secondly, the games and puzzles division includes Wizards of the Coast!  thomson.mobular.net/thomson/7/3077/4192/ (pg 1)  Again, all of this information is on their very own corporate website.

So, there shouldn't be any doubt that Wizards is making money, and a lot of it!  This excuse that there is an economic downturn or that they are facing "tough times" are most likely being fabricated.  The true root of this is probably that they had nothing more they could do with the license.
First, Hasbro has recently reported a Q1 2010 profit of 7% in their games and puzzles division.  phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=683...  Secondly, the games and puzzles division includes Wizards of the Coast!  thomson.mobular.net/thomson/7/3077/4192/ (pg 1)  Again, all of this information is on their very own corporate website.

My dad was recently let go despite being part of a company that increased in sales and contract acquisitions this year.  He'd been there for over 15 years.

Meaning, just because they are part of a successful division, it doesn't mean they were the major contributing factor for that division's success.

As sad as I am to see it go, note that Wizards probably makes a lot more money from CCGs and DND rather than the Star Wars license.  They likely wanted to axe a division that wasn't making much money, and your point about having explored the license is likely also valid.  However, all companies are in business to make money.  If something isn't making money, they won't support it.  Simple as that.

That being said, I am supremely disappointed and really wish I could find a copy of the KOTOR Campaign Guide that wasn't well over $70.  I'm hoping for one final print of all the books, but I doubt that's going to happen.
I know you probably didn't read that 2009 report that I linked.  But if you did, you'd see that it specifically says that there was increased revenue through MTG and decreased revenue through traditional board games.  So more than likely, other products by Wizards are performing acceptably.

Also noteable, is that there has been a marked decrease in the sale of Star Wars related toys.  There isn't any mention of the RPG.  And yet one is kept and the other is let go.  Back to my original point, the rpg license was probably given up because they didn't want it anymore.  Profits really didn't have anything to do with it.  They could have tried to either milk it some more, or put that money somewhere else.  Unfourtantly, they chose the latter.

Regardless, we'll know for sure when the next report is produced at the end of the year!
Does anyone know where i can get the masters of the force rules PDF and any errata that may have come out? 

I haven't gone to the Wizards Star Wars Archives since 3/15/10 and I'm looking for anything else that I may have missed.

The MOTF rules insert already came out butwizards has removed all things star wars (aside from the furumns for now) from the site at the request of lucas arts.  Now you may be able to ask on some other sites such as bloo Milk or SWM gamers. SOmone might have archived it before it was Purged from the site without much notice.  I dont know if a new errata will come out.
I did manage to snag it before the site went away.  Try this link to Google Docs for the checklist and rules insert PDF: docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bzdl-OImVg5...

Let me know if the link does not work.
That worked perfectly.  Thanks Squid!

I did manage to snag it before the site went away.  Try this link to Google Docs for the checklist and rules insert PDF: docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bzdl-OImVg5...

Let me know if the link does not work.

Does anyone know where i can get the masters of the force rules PDF and any errata that may have come out? 

I haven't gone to the Wizards Star Wars Archives since 3/15/10 and I'm looking for anything else that I may have missed.

PDF available here.

---------------------------- "Any questions between now and victory?"

PDF available here.

Thanks Cent.  I had found this too but I was looking for the Wizards PDF with the rules.

The link below that Squid posted has a download link to get the offiicial wizards PDF with the Rules page.
I figured I'd mention it because I missed it the first time I looked.

docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bzdl-OImVg5...

Thanks Cent.  I had found this too but I was looking for the Wizards PDF with the rules.

Yep. Note the check list and rules summary under the faction icons on the right.
---------------------------- "Any questions between now and victory?"

Yep. Note the check list and rules summary under the faction icons on the right.

doh I'm blind.  It's there too.  Good to have options.  thanks!

doh I'm blind.  It's there too.  Good to have options.  thanks!

Just thought I'd post this,

web.archive.org/web/20080503034506/www.w...

Its an archive which contains pretty much every article done by Wizards (for SWRPG/SWM) up until 23/04/2008. Unfortunately, it doesn't have anything newer, but it does have some articles that I haven't seen yet, like the Customizing Star Wars Minis articles.

i played minis when it first came out and stopped playing last year. i didn't even know the game got the can until a friend told me yesterday when i went to my local game shop it play MTG(it seem this is the only game WoTc has anymore).

it would be cool if the  games mechanics would be put to work on a cheaper licence or something...

like LOTR or some ANIME show like DBZCool
i played minis when it first came out and stopped playing last year. i didn't even know the game got the can until a friend told me yesterday when i went to my local game shop it play MTG(it seem this is the only game WoTc has anymore).

it would be cool if the  games mechanics would be put to work on a cheaper licence or something...

like LOTR or some ANIME show like DBZ

Actually, I would like something more generic.  This way there would be no chance to stop it unless on there own terms.  Something that does not have a license.  Either another SCI-Fi, modern D20 (Urban or classic military of any era) or even a new version like the scale of A&A but with a sci-fi twist.

But, if they are going to pick another license.  Let's go with good ol' classic GI Joe.

Actually, I would like something more generic.  This way there would be no chance to stop it unless on there own terms.  Something that does not have a license.  Either another SCI-Fi, modern D20 (Urban or classic military of any era) or even a new version like the scale of A&A but with a sci-fi twist.

But, if they are going to pick another license.  Let's go with good ol' classic GI Joe.

i really just want to see another minis game

i really just want to see another minis game

I agree and I do too.  I just want it to be something of their own and not have to worry about a license agreement.
No. No G I Joe. Because then I would be buying another WotC game, only to get treated like dirt.

Hmm. The list of similarities between WotC and my exes grows! 
Honestly I never caught the Star Wars mini bug. More bummed out about the RPG. *Debates pensioning Catalyst to pick up the license, as in my opnion anyway, they did a decent enough job with Battletech*
I am extremely upset at this news. This is the third time this has happened. I used to collect the Star Wars Decipher CCG that got canned. Then the Star Wars TCG by Wizards and it got caneed now the Miniatures are done. This sucks especially for the avid Star Wars fans that eagerly await the next expansion. I even got my kids into the games and now I have to tell them oh they don't make it any more. I really hope Heroscapes (which is my son's favorite) doesn't go next. Oh and I almost forgot the Star Wars roleplaying thats another one. I am very dissapointed as a customer who has bought Wizards of the Coast products since Magic was first relaeased!!!
I don't know about Dark Times but it certainly has been sad times since the announcement of the demise of the SWminis line. Hopefully someone else will pick it up and do it even better. Fortunately Space Hulk 3rd edition filled some of the void and the release of Earth Reborn (check it out on Boardgamegeek.com) in September this year may give me another fix. The thought of no more new Star Wars plastic crack is depressing.

By the way! When does this site come down fully?
I don't believe there is a fixed date for the forums to come down if at all.
THAT SUCKS!!!

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

That Sux!
WotC has, or had, a good sci-fi verse. A couple of them.  Gamma World, Space Frontiers, Dark Matter, & Alternity.  And with Gamma World 4E coming out and the forthcoming Gamma World novel, why not use that as a foundation for a new figure line.
WotC has, or had, a good sci-fi verse. A couple of them.  Gamma World, Space Frontiers, Dark Matter, & Alternity.  And with Gamma World 4E coming out and the forthcoming Gamma World novel, why not use that as a foundation for a new figure line.

The answer to that is easy. Because Star Wars is the essential essence of AWESOME. Everything else is second rate.

Pwnt.