Ask the Author (Fury of the Wastewalker)

261 posts / 0 new
Last post
[sblock=Answers for jtrain9801]
Brambleweed: Yes, in fact, the brambleweed on the side of the cliff makes it very difficult to climb without getting injured. Remember, however, that PCs can double move, which will get them most of the way up the cliff in one round. PCs will have to be creative when dealing with the brambleweed. Jumping, using rope, hacking at the weeds, burning them, etc. Again, the DM will have to flexible in order for the players to overcome this obstacle. I neglected to put a Climb DC, but clearly climbing up a brambley cliff is pretty easy (except it hurts a lot). I suggest DC 5. 

Negotiating: I included a sidebar for negotiating past combat encounters (page 13). This is one where negotiating may be your best option (especially if you have a lot of survival days). The goblins/sand people are aggressive and the situation is tense, but with enough roleplaying and skill checks, the situation can be diffused. From a position of strength, I suggest the goblins will leave with no less than 1/2 the PCs' total supplies, unless the goblins are under threat of defeat. In desperation, they would probably try to escape with a single survival day each. They are not interested in killing the adventurers; they just want their supplies. 

Running: Writing this up made me think of another option for the PCs: running. I'm not sure how i'd deal with this option. A couple of goblins have soarsleds, so they can pursue them from the air and maybe meet up with more goblins later down the path. Or maybe the shardstorm gets worse and if the adventurers run, they have to deal with the shardstorm and the goblins. I'm not sure. I'm interested in your ideas on how DMs might handle this option. 

Drake: If it doesn't feel threatened, the drake will come back around for more supplies, but the point is to surprise the characters. I wasn't explicit, but the drake should steal all the survival days in one swoop from one character (perhaps pick the character carrying the most supplies).
Answers for jtrain9801

Brambleweed: Yes, in fact, the brambleweed on the side of the cliff makes it very difficult to climb without getting injured. Remember, however, that PCs can double move, which will get them most of the way up the cliff in one round. PCs will have to be creative when dealing with the brambleweed. Jumping, using rope, hacking at the weeds, burning them, etc. Again, the DM will have to flexible in order for the players to overcome this obstacle. I neglected to put a Climb DC, but clearly climbing up a brambley cliff is pretty easy (except it hurts a lot). I suggest DC 5. 

Thanks for the details
Answers for jtrain9801

Running: Writing this up made me think of another option for the PCs: running. I'm not sure how i'd deal with this option. A couple of goblins have soarsleds, so they can pursue them from the air and maybe meet up with more goblins later down the path. Or maybe the shardstorm gets worse and if the adventurers run, they have to deal with the shardstorm and the goblins. I'm not sure. I'm interested in your ideas on how DMs might handle this option. 

Humm... good question. We shall see how the PC's take this encounter. I would hate to make it look like they are being railroaded.

James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
(someone please point me at it if this has been asked and answered already)

I've not got my hands on the mod yet, so I can only ask after the encounter I've actually played trough, but here's one for you, Nick:

Free of any subjectivity or randomization or the differences between groups, how is the first encounter supposed to play out? When you look at it, how does it happen in your mind's eye? 

-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
I think he did answer that already. As with Erik with Undermountain, Nick wanted DMs to have the capability to rock the players back on their heels a bit, but also to relax things a bit after that and keep the challenge low enough that they can end the encounter successfully without losing too many resources (or dying). Death is fine, and the threat should be there, but the game should feel fair to everyone. Both authors expected DMs to keep in mind that it is an intro program and to keep things fun for everyone.

Nick also mentioned that he wanted to include more backstory/intro, but there was a limit to what he could include into the mod for length reasons.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Doesn't really answer my question, but I suppose it's as close as I'm like to get. Thanks, Alpha.

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
Doesn't really answer my question, but I suppose it's as close as I'm like to get. Thanks, Alpha.

M4kitsu: I don't think my answer is relevant or necessary. I encourage all DMs to use the material provided and make the story their own. 
Time for an actual question.

Show

With the number of tables reporting a TPK in the first round, it begs the question: What to do with the tables that are essentially 'starting over' with Encounter 2?  No Survival Days have been obtained, which does not bode well for the survival of characters who have to begin in such a precarious position because they did not survive Encounter 1.
I don't think my answer is relevant or necessary. I encourage all DMs to use the material provided and make the story their own. 

Necessary? Probably not. Relevant? Debatable. 

But it's been my experience that understanding an author's intent is sometimes very helpful to understanding why an encounter or adventure is built the way it is, and that information can be helpful to DMs planning on running the encounter or adventure. 

So I'm still curious -largely for the same reasons I suspect brought Jonandre's question about. 

TPK survival days.
Show
Adventure says that any characters arriving after enc1 should come with 2 survival days. I'd go with that.
Nick: Regarding Session 3
Show

As it seems that the goblins in encounter 3 are not actually goblins, and just using their powerset, did you have a name for them or perhaps any additional lore you intended for them? This will also help me flesh them out for my monster knowledge check cards.

For those interested in the cards, if I don't get a name for them I'll probably refer to them as 'Wasteland Wretches' or something along those lines. Or you guys can offer suggestions. : )

Are the characters headed to Tyr?

After gathering supplies, my players decided to continue on to Tyr as that's where they were headed when the storm blew up. I figure it's a reasonable assumption that they're still headed in that direction, but as we only have part of the adventure, I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

Seanchai
No, they're headed to the foothills (of the Ringing Mountains?) to escape the storm that continues to chase and harry them.

Show

With the number of tables reporting a TPK in the first round, it begs the question: What to do with the tables that are essentially 'starting over' with Encounter 2?  No Survival Days have been obtained, which does not bode well for the survival of characters who have to begin in such a precarious position because they did not survive Encounter 1.

I would suggest going with either treating the players as all new characters (not allowed to play the same one they had when TPK occured) who come in at the 2nd session with only 2 survival days each.
-OR-
If they had collected the survival days and then died, you could offer them the chance to keep what had been collected & go with the "Death Penalty"  (side-bar on PG3). If you go with the latter option, then I would also reduce their survival days collected by 1/4 (but not more than enough to leave PCs with the 2 each that a late arrival could start with) to represent the what was dropped & subsequently stolen by NPCs afterwards.

***I would not however tell them how many survival days they actually ended up with until after a choice is made to keep a character they already played, or to start fresh with a new character. This prevents choosing solely based on what they feel would give them greater advantage in game. To do so would be like saying that meta-gaming is OK at your table.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks

Show

I would suggest going with either treating the players as all new characters (not allowed to play the same one they had when TPK occured) who come in at the 2nd session with only 2 survival days each.
-OR-
If they had collected the survival days and then died, you could offer them the chance to keep what had been collected & go with the "Death Penalty"  (side-bar on PG3). If you go with the latter option, then I would also reduce their survival days collected by 1/4 (but not more than enough to leave PCs with the 2 each that a late arrival could start with) to represent the what was dropped & subsequently stolen by NPCs afterwards.

***I would not however tell them how many survival days they actually ended up with until after a choice is made to keep a character they already played, or to start fresh with a new character. This prevents choosing solely based on what they feel would give them greater advantage in game. To do so would be like saying that meta-gaming is OK at your table.

Show
As the characters at the table had acquired no survival days, this will not be an option.
Also, the pre-gen characters DO have connections to each other. The Psion and Sorcerer are members of the Rebel , I mean the Veiled Alliance. The Ardent and Sorcerer are siblings. The Battlemind and martial PCs are all slaves. which I assumed to be slaves of the same owner. I've given my players role-playing bonuses for staying in character, and they've done well working together.

Question for the author:

Show
You've said that the Kanks are not domesticated and that the adventure assumes they will not be able to domesticate them. What should I do if my players want to try? Obviously, I'll point out the advancing obsidian storm, but I'd like to tell them how they could try if they had the time.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

You've said that the Kanks are not domesticated and that the  adventure assumes they will not be able to domesticate them. What should  I do if my players want to try? Obviously, I'll point out the advancing  obsidian storm, but I'd like to tell them how they could try if they  had the time.

Show

Domesticating an animal takes a long time.  It would require a pen for them as well as days, weeks, or months of interaction.  Its certainly not something they can do within the timeframe they have of this adventure.

Were they to try, I'd have them make a few nature and insight checks.  That would yield them that this undertaking is not suited to their current situation.  Were that to fail, I'd have the outer edges of the shard storm start to tick away at their health again.

Or, if you are feeling adventerous...  Just say yes!  Let them make a few rolls.  Make it a skill challenge that lasts a few hours.  If they fail, the shardstorm is right on their heals and they take 2d4 points of damage each, or lose a healing surge.  If they succeed reward them with Kank mounts.  Just give them the stats for a riding horse.  If they did really well give one of them a giant ant (and potentially adjust treasure down later on to compensate).  Of course keeping the mount alive will add to their troubles later on, and the kanks might not want to venture into some areas at all...

If they are hoping for kanks to follow them around and make food for them keep in mind two things.  First most domesticated animal are kept in better than wilderness conditions, lots of food and water and protection from predators and the elements at times.  Second, kanks make honey slowly (and they require lots of food and water, which being forced to follow the PC's around they probably won't be getting).  Kank meat goes bad almost the moment they die, so eating it is probably out of the question also.
Show
 Nick clearly implies in the mod and explains much better in a post somewhere on here that they are being herded and chased by either or both the Wastewalkers minions and the shard storm if they head toward Tyr put overwhelming numbers of Ssaran or the shardstorm in that direction pretty much herd them north. 

Are the characters headed to Tyr?

After gathering supplies, my players decided to continue on to Tyr as that's where they were headed when the storm blew up. I figure it's a reasonable assumption that they're still headed in that direction, but as we only have part of the adventure, I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

Seanchai

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Quoted post deleted

Yes Castri, Yuka and Shikkir were slaves (persumably owned by the same person) and thus linked.  Jarvix and Barcan are both members of the Veiled alliance and compaignions, Phye is Barcan's sister and thus linked. It was left to the dm to explain how to get the 6 together I did it via having the lead cart in the caravan being the one all six adventurers were walking nearest when the shardstorm hit thus putting them all diving for cover under it.

No, they're headed to the foothills (of the Ringing Mountains?) to escape the storm that continues to chase and harry them.

Right. I guess what I'm asking: Is their final destination Tyr? Do I need to, for the sake of the module, get them off track in some fashion?

Seanchai
Hey People,

Can we have people put in spoiler Tags for those who read and not DM?  I've seen a few places that need it.

Thanks
—Guncici

P.S. Spolier Text Refresher.

make sure to use [ not {.
{ are used so you can see the bracket location.

{sblock}

blah blah blah

{/sblock}

goes to:

Show

blah blah blah

Alright guys, Nicholas and MB have asked several times to keep the thread on topic, and people keep forgetting or ignoring that. Since we currently don't have the ability to move a specific post from one thread to another, I'm going to go through and delete all posts that have to do with feedback on the adventure. Any more posts that are not on topic with asking Nicholas questions, or answering each others questions will be deleted.

Sorry if this seems harsh, it's just become obvious that we're having trouble keeping things on topic with the distractions that are already in the thread.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Right. I guess what I'm asking: Is their final destination Tyr? Do I need to, for the sake of the module, get them off track in some fashion?

Seanchai

If I'm not mistaken - while the caravan was heading to Tyr, and while the party should have that as a goal in mind - the storm that harries them is already derailing them and driving them toward the mountains at this time.

Think of it as being the "long way" to Tyr. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

As we can't read ahead in the adventure and understand the context of what we're doing, can you tell us if there are any elements in chapter one that we shouldn't change? For example, there's an NPC in session four - would it be okay to make him a thri-kreen?

Normally, I like to improvise and allow the PCs to impact the world and adventure as much as possible. This is easy to do with adventures of my own design and even ones where I can read the whole adventure. As we can't do this with Fury of the Wastewalker and as we're running a public encounters game, I'm a little worried about flexibility versus the requirements of the adventure.

Any hints you could provide about things we shouldn't change as they'll have a negative impact on the adventure in latter chapters would be much appreciated!

Seanchai
Wait, what??

Why can't you, as the DM, read ahead in the adventure?
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Mudbunny,

What I think Seanchai is saying is that we dont have chapters 2 or 3 yet so we dont know how they go.

—Guncici
Hey, Seanchai, there's some spoilers in there, please use sblocks!

What you should and shouldn't change

Three details of importance, i think, for the story moving forward:
1) The fire elemental is an important aspect of the story in Chapter 2. Don't change it to another element or some other creature entirely.
2) I would avoid using halflings if at all possible. Obviously this means they are significant later on in the story.  
3) Ralo is an arcanist, and the Wastewalker doesn't like arcane magic wielders (it makes no distinction between defiling and preserving magic). That's the important detail. If you want to change him in any other ways, go ahead.

I'm not sure how much i should or shouldn't reveal about the next two Chapters. I wasn't given directions not to tell, but i also don't want to spoil too much for the DMs when the get to crack open those other two adventures! 

That's all i can think of right now. If you have more specific questions, please feel free to post em.
Planning my purchases here...

Will all three chapters use strictly the "Deserts of Athas" dungeon tiles?  I much prefer playing on the Dungeon Tiles then fold out maps (doesn't reveal future maps, and don't have to deal with badly placed crease lines).  Right now I've only got one set.. but it looks like I might need a second for the 5th encounter.  So if all 3 chapters will use this set I'll consider it a worthwhile purchase, otherwise I'll probably just use the fold out map for that encounter.

Thanks!

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Info on future Dungeon Tiles

Chapter 3 uses the Desert of Athas tiles. I don't remember how many sets you need to make them. I think i limited it to two.

Chapter two uses both the Caves of Carnage and Dire Tombs. I realize the latter is out of print, but c'est la vie. I also don't remember how many of each set i used; I think one of each. 

I'm not sure how much i should or shouldn't reveal about the next two Chapters. I wasn't given directions not to tell, but i also don't want to spoil too much for the DMs when the get to crack open those other two adventures!

I honestly don't understand why the other parts of the campaign/adventure were not sent to the Organizers, with instructions to review them with DMs; but not distribute (so they aren't lost to DMs who can't return due to RL issues) them until needed.
Having a chance to read the entirety of it in a single sitting helps to put each portion into better context for the DMs.

My questions for you are... did you create this in 3 separate parts on purpose? Or did WotC later divide your work leaving us hoping the DMs won't make changes like those you have warned against?
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
The adventure was created as three "chapters". Why Wizards decided to distribute it how they did was not something i was involved with or have knowledge of.

I will continue to answer reasonable questions about the other chapters, but please don't ask me to provide too many details. Patience, please; All will be revealed in good time.
Show

I'm not sure if its been covered (too many posts make my eyes bleed), but do the PC's actually use survival days in Chapter 1?
 I can enlighten as to why each chapter is sent out a week before its supposed to run. It was because folks were running the whole damn thing in one big run and not weekly. Now the most they can run is 1/3 at a time.

I am sure it actually increased their shipping costs to do it in three parts.

My two coppers,

Bryan Blumklotz
GotG Organizer
Show

I'm not sure if its been covered (too many posts make my eyes bleed), but do the PC's actually use survival days in Chapter 1?

This got buried on page 5
The illumination for Encounter 1-3 is "twilight" and the illumination for Encoutner 1-4 is "dawn". At the end of Encounter 1-3 the party should check off the supplies they consumed that day. If they start 1-4 without Supply Days, then they will probably be attacked by Sun Sickness just before Encounter 1-5. Since they are motoring through without an Extended Rest, I might even make them double their consumption to prevent being stricken with Sun Sickness. I'm excited to spring this new mechanic on my players, but will not be relentless if they are not faring well.

I'm sure the Dark Sun Campagin Setting book will have more comprehensive rules. There will probably be a number of Encounters characters can endure per day before they have to consume additional Supply Days.

Response to Dreamdarwin and criticalmiracle regarding Sun Sickness

I didn't explicitly write in the need to check for Sun Sickness in the intervening days of the chase in Chapter 1. The ongoing skill challenge was supposed to emulate the perils of the desert. If you want even more Dark Sun flavor, feel free to use the Sun Sickness rules for the ~2 days travel through the desert.

I like criticalmiracle's ideas, too.

Greetings,

Forgive me if I have missed something, but early on in the Module it mentions referencing the Gold Table for session allotment.  I cannot for the life of me find this, and see no mention of gold in either of the first 2 encounters.  However, on the Session Tracker it tracks gold session to session,  any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Advanced Level TO
In response to allgeeeks question on gold I forgot to hit quote.
Show
The session tracker is pretty much the same one as last season. There are no "official" gold awards in Chapter one. Im guessing there will be no stores to buy anything so theorectically you could give them enough "gold" (they use ceramic coins in Athas I believe) to weight them down to fully burdened.  You might not want to because there might actually be a store in chapter two or three.  Heck if I was one of the adventurers in the waste Survival days or other gear are much more useful than gold.

Note you also dont have to track Exp as all characters will auto level to 2nd at the end of chapter one and auto levle to 3rd at the end of chapter two.

That's all i can think of right now. If you have more specific questions, please feel free to post em.

That's great. I don't need to know what happens in chapters two and three (although it would be extremely helpful). Just knowing what not to fiddle with is helpful. Thanks!

Seanchai
To Nick after having responded to my questions earlier
Valley of the Second Session
the flame spirit was a really nice feature. I tried to really draw upon elemental themes and primal themes. I realized after the elemental disappearred that I forgot to have it offer a bit of aid. One of the players asked if he could call it back and the response suddenly came to me, "you don't have a close and deep understanding of the primal way, you are a psionicist. There is not a character among you that has a sufficient connection tothe primal spirits that you could summon them." It was perfect. I'm surprised that I hadn't thought of it earlier.

The team really liked the description of the bones. As I anticipated, they immediately asked about making weapons from the bones. I was able to use the suggestion you had proposed that the bones are brittle and too old; they would not make adequate weapons, but could be used to make a tea. I let them create a tea that restored one healing surge. That was a very important benefit after the intensity of the fight. Barcan and Castri both were dropped below 0. Castri was on the brink of death for a few rounds. Barcan was back above 0 before his next turn arrived.

I haven't done a careful perusal of encounter 3, so I'll have questions about that later. For now, I'm glad that I asked a bit in preparation for encounter 2. I do know I'm going to try to encourage a less combative approach--aside from Yuka and Shikirr, the rest of the team is in serious need of an extended rest. The low rolls took a toll on the group. They had trouble hitting things all night.
Nick, earlier you mentioned that

Show
the monsters in encounter 3 weren't really goblins as much as they were a race of sand people.  Would you have a name for these sand people - say, if the players make a monster knowledge check?  Would they have an entry in DSCC when it comes out?
Rule Zero: Save vs. Hivemind http://rulezeroblog.wordpress.com
Nick, earlier you mentioned that

Show
the monsters in encounter 3 weren't really goblins as much as they were a race of sand people.  Would you have a name for these sand people - say, if the players make a monster knowledge check?  Would they have an entry in DSCC when it comes out?

sand people

Personally, i would name them goblins because i really like goblins and feel they belong (as a rare, hidden race) in Dark Sun. It's your job to come up with something else if you don't like goblins.

Sign In to post comments