Season 2 Twitter Buffs

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
For those who have delved through Season 1, you probably know that we have twitter buffs that we post every hour to add some interesting and change things up a bit. We had about 4-5 each week that we reposted several times throughout Tuesday. The ones we picked for Season 1 mostly dealt with some wild magic effects that permeated the section of Undermountain that adventurers were traveling through.

Now for Season 2 - Dark Sun, I'd like to do things a little differently. I want the players and DMs to submit twitter buffs that they'd like to see. We'll definitely still be doing some in house, but I think we can get a lot more variety and some really good buffs with a bit of help from all of you. So if you have some ideas for some interesting buffs and want to share it, now's your chance.

Here are some basic guidlines you'll want to keep in mind:
  • Must be 140 characters or less.

• Must include or have room for the #dndenc hashtag

• Should buff the player characters or monsters and player characters - never buff just monsters.

• Keep in mind that this buff needs to be usable for a session. So things like "everyone deals +1d6 on their next attack" may not work well because of timing. Things like "everyone deals an extra +1d6 on one attack this sesssion" is more in line with how timing language should be used.

Theme: This time we're doing Dark Sun, so most of the buffs shouldn't really have much arcane or divine flavoring. Feel free to flavor the buffs with any environmental stuff you think could be in the encounters - sand storms, heat exhaustion, certain dungeon perils, glaring sun, some occasional defiler aftereffects, etc. Have fun, do whatever seems cool - just remember if it fits the world it's more likely that we'll add it to our twitter buff list.

That about covers it. Post up your suggestions below - you can have multiple buffs in one post, and you can have multiple posts if you come up with more ideas. I'm looking forward to what we can come up with!

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Ohh, a chance to contribute!  Here's what I have for now....

Sand flies harshly to the South, right into your eyes.  All attacks made to the North are made with major concealment (-5) #dndenc

One PC may make an Endurance check - all PCs gain resist all equal to (That check - 20) for the rest of the encounter. #dndenc

You find yourself psionically linked to your target - once in this encounter, you can gain combat advantage as a free action #dndenc

Your arcane at-wills seem to preserve life today - you gain +1 to all defenses when you use them this session.  #dndenc

You can score a critical hit on a roll of 18-19 for this encounter, but if you do so, your weapon breaks. #dndenc

Rule breakers:

A rare cloud covers the glaring sun covering the party with a cool shadow - all PCs gain 3 hit points. #dndenc

Inspiring Recovery - once this encounter, when you spend a healing surge, up to two allies who can see you also recover 5 HP. #dndenc

Unexpected nutrients - vermin have infested your survival supplies, the extra protein lets you recover a healing surge. #dndenc
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
I'll open up with an easy twist on the rules we have seen so far for weapon breakage:

#dndenc: Push your weapons to the limit! This encounter you may re-roll attacks on a natural 1 or 2 with the usual results based on material

(normally the rules seem to be that on a 1 you miss, but you can choose to re-roll and accept that your weapon will break after the re-roll).

An idea on environmental effects:
#dndenc: A dusty wind tears through the area! All creatures make an endurance check DC 12 or are at -2 to attacks until end of the next turn.

And some emphasis on powers unique to Dark Sun PCs:
#dndenc: Time to fight! PCs using a Theme power may roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, they regain the power for a second (and final) use!

Some downsides to being in Dark Sun:
#darksun: Unbearable heat strikes the area! Any creature wearing armor is slowed (save ends).

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

You find yourself psionically linked to your target - once in this encounter, you can gain combat advantage as a free action #dndenc

Unexpected nutrients - vermin have infested your survival supplies, the extra protein lets you recover a healing surge. #dndenc

Those are so cool! Nicely done!

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

#dndenc:  Silt blows around you, clinging to your clothing.  Once per session you can use a minor action to gain concealment until the end of your next turn.

#dndenc:  The spirit of Fire is with you!  Once per encounter each player can choose to deal +1d6 points of extra fire damage against one enemy they hit.  (Encounter 1-2)

#dndenc:  Juicy Fruits.  The primal spirits of the area bless your Healing Fruit.  For this encounter only, Healing Fruit restore an extra 1d6 hit points. (Encounter 1-3)

#dndenc:  Psychic echos:  A battle raged here long ago.  Once during this encounter one character can use Ardent Surge as a minor action (without the effect of a Mantle).

#dndenc:  Psychic surge:  Once per this encounter any psionic character can spend a minor action to regain one power point.

#dndenc:  Black magic:  Anyone standing in the black sand deals an extra 2 points of necrotic damage with any attack that hits.  (Encounter 1-5)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#dndenc:  Sharp obsidian shards litter the area.  Any creature moving more than half its speed takes 2 damage.

#dndenc:  Sand mites swarm over all creatures on the map giving them itchy bites!  All creatures grant combat advantage (save ends).

#dndenc:  Slippery sand!  Any forced movement can be increased by 1 square.

#dndenc:  Jagged rocks!  Any creature ending their turn adjacent to or on top of a boulder takes 3 points of damage.

#dndenc:  Wind storms sweep through the area.  Any ranged attacks greater than 5 squares away take a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

#dndenc:  Lingering Taint.  The black sand here is truly defiled.  Anyone starting their turn in the black sand takes 5 points of necrotic damage.  (Encounter 1-5)

I guess I missed the OP somewhere, but what's the intention of the twitter buffs?

- Use them all? Characters who worship god X get his/her buff? DM picks one before the session? Roll? Change when a new one is tweeted?

Come check out and add to the LFR Wiki, part of the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
The buffs serve to introduce a bit of randomness and fun into the sessions. Each buff is valid until the next one is tweeted.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
The buffs serve to introduce a bit of randomness and fun into the sessions. Each buff is valid until the next one is tweeted.

Until?  Hmmm.  Whoops.  I've typically been stacking them.  

WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Until?  Hmmm.  Whoops.  I've typically been stacking them.  

Wolfstar is a huge cheater!

Ok, I would have done the same thing... in fact, the wording of past buffs suggest otherwise, especially the "once per encounter" type buffs. I would suggest buffs not expire... otherwise any buffs predicated on a certain condition (such as falling prone or inflicting a certaint damage type) will end up not triggering very often.

Some DMs are receiving these and using them while others do not.  If the encounters are tuned wit a twitter buff in mind, tables without the buffs will find the game tougher.  I suggest balanced buffs which grant an advantage and disadvantage at one time.  For instance:

#dndenc Sand flurries- PCs may grant CA to get CA against one foe this encounter.

or

#dndenc Blazing sun- Deal +1d6 fire or radiant damage with next attack but be blinded until the start of next turn. 
Some DMs are receiving these and using them while others do not.  If the encounters are tuned wit a twitter buff in mind, tables without the buffs will find the game tougher.  I suggest balanced buffs which grant an advantage and disadvantage at one time.  For instance:

#dndenc Sand flurries- PCs may grant CA to get CA against one foe this encounter.

or

#dndenc Blazing sun- Deal +1d6 fire or radiant damage with next attack but be blinded until the start of next turn. 

I'm reasonably certain that the buffs are being written by Trevor (and/or others) and they're being written separately from the module.  Just FYI.  
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

We should be clear, the adventure is "tuned" to be run as is. The twitter buffs are an awesome way for us to interact with the game and make the play experience a bit different, but they're definitely not needed to get througn an encounter.

As to when you can use them - It's intended that you can use any/all buffs that come up during your D&D Encounters game. They go up one an hour so it should be possible for all groups to get at least one buff.

#dndenc Solar flares test endurance (DC 15) each round, PCs who fail become weakened (save ends)

#dndenc Sandstorms erupt without warning, all creatures are blinded for 1d6 rounds (save ends)

#dndenc Dust from a distant eruption provides temporary shade from the sun. PCs may use 1 healing surge as a free action on their next turn.

#dndenc One bloodied PC becomes briefly insane from the heat and discovers an opponents weakness, gaining combat advantage on that target .

**please note that I have not yet read the details of Dark Sun, or the season 2 Adventure, at the time of these suggestions.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
#dndenc High winds whip up sand and blow across the desert-PC move with wind +1 speed, -1 speed if going against it.
 for session 1-1

#dndenc: A cloud of silt dust obscures distant objects. All non-adjacent creatures have concealment.

#dndenc: Shifting winds. A push or pull by PC's may add one square to the total distance. 

#dndenc: Iron skin. For the duration of the encounter 1 random PC does not take damage from the shard storm at the start of their turns.

#dndenc: Favorable winds. The range on all creatures ranged attacks is increased by two squares.

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

for session 1-1

#dndenc: A cloud of silt dust obscures distant objects. All non-adjacent creatures have concealment.

#dndenc: Shifting winds. A push or pull by PC's may add one square to the total distance. 

#dndenc: Ironskin. For the duration of the encounter 1 random PC does not take damage from the shard storm at the start of thier turns.

#dndenc: Favorable winds. The range on all creatures ranged attacks is increased by two squares.

this. very well done.
Thanks much for all the suggestions so far, and keep it up! We've already integrated quite a few of these into our buffs!

Which account is posting these buffs?
I suspect it'll still come from @Wizards_DnD - though I haven't seen them begin yet.

Tweets start in about a half hour good luck everyone.

WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW!!

Session 1-2 Tweet buff entries.

#dndenc The Spirit grants protection from elements. At the start of each pc's turn they make a saving throw against ongoing effects before taking damage.

#dndenc The bones of long extinct creatures radiate primal power. Each PC that scores a hit against an opponent gains 3 temp. hit points.

#dndenc Sharpened bone shards burst from the ground. All difficult terrain causes 3 damage to creatures entering it.

#dndenc A potent phermone wafts from injured kanks. Any PC scoring a critical hit on an enemy regains the use of a healing surge.

Show

#dndenc A strong cool breeze come from (insert random direction), each creature can make an Endurance check with the following results (cumulative): DC 10: Gain 5 tempory hit points; DC 15: Regain 10 hit points; DC 20: Regain the use of a healing surge.

#dndenc A sinkhole appears out of nowhere. Attack (Burst 1 anywhere on map, any creature within burst): Level + 3 vs. Reflex, Target is restrained (save ends). Until the end of the encounter, the burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. All creatures treat the zone as difficult terrain.

The first one is kind of a bonus to the players in my opinion, the second one uses the optional kank tunnels or a random occurance of nature.
Show

#dndenc A strong cool breeze come from (insert random direction), each creature can make an Endurance check with the following results (cumulative): DC 10: Gain 5 tempory hit points; DC 15: Regain 10 hit points; DC 20: Regain the use of a healing surge.

#dndenc A sinkhole appears out of nowhere. Attack (Burst 1 anywhere on map, any creature within burst): Level + 3 vs. Reflex, Target is restrained (save ends). Until the end of the encounter, the burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. All creatures treat the zone as difficult terrain.

The first one is kind of a bonus to the players in my opinion, the second one uses the optional kank tunnels or a random occurance of nature.

You may want to actually put your suggestions into twitter & see how many characters they use b4 posting them for consideration.
I can tell you w/o putting them into twitter, that I can see these are each well over the character limit for tweets.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks

You may want to actually put your suggestions into twitter & see how many characters they use b4 posting them for consideration.
I can tell you w/o putting them into twitter, that I can see these are each well over the character limit for tweets.

Not wanting to start a flame war but who cares? Some people don't use twitter, I don't and some people may feel like adding something that superceed the normal limit for twitter.

It's a series of guidelines, not rules. If it doesn't get into twitter, maybe someone will read it here. Who knows who cares.  Personally, I'd be nice to have a collection of buff placed here before the twitters start up.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Twitter Buffs for 1-3

Potiental Spoilers Below!!!

Show

#dndenc Withering: Brambleweed loses all effects until the end of the current creatures's next turn.

#dndenc Dead wind: Creatures can't fly until the end of the current creature's next turn

#dndenc Full moon: The encounter has bright light for 5 rounds.

#dndenc Night Cloud: The encounter has no light for 5 rounds.

...Now for Season 2 - Dark Sun, I'd like to do things a little differently. I want the players and DMs to submit twitter buffs that they'd like to see. We'll definitely still be doing some in house, but I think we can get a lot more variety and some really good buffs with a bit of help from all of you. So if you have some ideas for some interesting buffs and want to share it, now's your chance.

Here are some basic guidlines you'll want to keep in mind:
  • Must be 140 characters or less.

• Must include or have room for the #dndenc hashtag

• Should buff the player characters or monsters and player characters - never buff just monsters.

• Keep in mind that this buff needs to be usable for a session. So things like "everyone deals +1d6 on their next attack" may not work well because of timing. Things like "everyone deals an extra +1d6 on one attack this sesssion" is more in line with how timing language should be used....

Shortened to save space as a courtesy & bold/underline added to show where it was first stated by the WotC staff member who started the thread. That alone looks like someone more important than me cares, "Mr. Virus".
My suggestion for people who want all the EXTRA flavor w/o the twitter (or #dndenc) restrictions; is to make a separate thread altogether.
Maybe call it "Buff ideas not intended for Twitter" Undecided

Not wanting to start a flame war but who cares? Some people don't use twitter, I don't and some people may feel like adding something that superceed the normal limit for twitter.

It's a series of guidelines, not rules. If it doesn't get into twitter, maybe someone will read it here. Who knows who cares.  Personally, I'd be nice to have a collection of buff placed here before the twitters start up.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Twitter Buffs for 1-3

Potiental Spoilers Below!!!

Show

#dndenc Withering: Brambleweed loses all effects until the end of the current creatures's next turn.

#dndenc Dead wind: Creatures can't fly until the end of the current creature's next turn

#dndenc Full moon: The encounter has bright light for 5 rounds.

#dndenc Night Cloud: The encounter has no light for 5 rounds.

I believe you missed the point of the advice.  If you follow the WotC format for the Twitter buffs, there is a good chance you can get you buff to be broadcast round the world!  It was just being friendly, not adversarial.

Keep in mind the point of this thread was to generate potential Twitter buffs.  While you are 100% correct you can do what you want in the adventure, don't go too far off the mark and derail the thread.

If people don't use twitter, they probably are not going to access the forums during the game, so it might be a moot point.
Sign In to post comments