Magic Item Questions

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm GMing DDE, but am not familiar with RPGA stuff. Still, I want to make sure my RPGA players (and those who care about such things) have legal characters and are taken care of without a hitch by the time they port their characters over.

Given that there are different rules on magic items / character in LFR, how will magic items be ported over?

If a DDE character has too many magic items, what happens to the extra? Does the player choose which items to take? Can he sell the extra for gp first? Can the non-RPGA players give their stuff to the RPGA players?

Does any of this vary by level?

And, where can I go to to find rules on this?

While I haven't seen any hard rulings yet, the LFR Global Admins have mentioned that magic items (non-consumables, at least) will likely just use the Found Item Slot for the Player Character.

WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

While I haven't seen any hard rulings yet, the LFR Global Admins have mentioned that magic items (non-consumables, at least) will likely just use the Found Item Slot for the Player Character.

How many Found Item Slots does a level player character get? Does it vary by level? And, is there a gp limit as well?

How many Found Item Slots does a level player character get? Does it vary by level? And, is there a gp limit as well?

Each level you get in LFR comes with a Found Item Slot.  Think of them as coupons you get at each level that are redeemable for a magic item at any time.  Once the coupon is spent, it's gone for good, even if you get rid of the item later.  You can also "hoard" the slots (coupons) as long as you want.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

So, if my players don't level by the time they leave DDE, they get to keep one item? And, if they do, two?
We don't actually know. The rules for transfer haven't actually been posted.

Given that, I'm working with a "best guess."

Keeping in mind that I'm not an admin, here's what I would expect to happen:

I seem to recall it being said that you can't have more than three (non-consumable) magic items on your DDE Character - I can't recall if that's a DDE rule or a potential LFR Import rule, but we'll stick with that.

Assuming you get super-lucky, and have three items, but somehow never level, I'd expect the rule to be that you've still used three found-item slots. 

Where you'd normally get a "new" slot at level two, and again at level three - those slots have been "pre-spent".

Of course - when you go to import your character into LFR, you can also opt to "drop" items in the depths of Undermountain as well.  So if you have three items on your character, but only want to use one slot (or only find one of the three items to be particularly useful) you can import with just that one item as well.

I don't think it's likely, but it *IS* possible that the Admins might set the rule that you can only bring in as many items as you have slots for (1 item if level one, 2 if level two).  I only mention it to prepare people just in case.

I'll see if I can't get a firm ruling from the Global Admins. 

I seem to recall it being said that you can't have more than three (non-consumable) magic items on your DDE Character - I can't recall if that's a DDE rule or a potential LFR Import rule, but we'll stick with that.

wolfstar, the limit 3 rule is in the module and can be found in the first few pages.
wolfstar, the limit 3 rule is in the module and can be found in the first few pages.

Thanks, that's what I get for trying to answer questions by memory from work with my adventure sitting at home.  ^_^

I poked the Globals, and they tell me my above assesment is "pretty much the rule" - so, whatever your bring into LFR will eat up Found Magic Item slots - even if you have to "pre-spend" slots to make the math work out.   

Thanks, that's what I get for trying to answer questions by memory from work with my adventure sitting at home.  ^_^

I poked the Globals, and they tell me my above assesment is "pretty much the rule" - so, whatever your bring into LFR will eat up Found Magic Item slots - even if you have to "pre-spend" slots to make the math work out.   

Bleh.  Kind of sucks as many of the items don't stack well against those found in LFR modules.  But still, DDE has been fun!

I did some calculations before the season started and reworked the treasure distribution to more like LFR. I did not change the XP awards.

I plan on rewarding the PCs at the end of the adventure with a "magic item of your level or less" -- like a MyRealms adventure. I removed all of the generic magic items, converted them to gold and evenly distributed all gold across all encounters; which comes out to 45gp/encounter. I left in the "set piece" items and will treat them as bonus magic items. The player-selected magic items will take up a LFR "found" magic item slot but not the bonus items -- like a GameDay adventure. Also, I left in Healing Potions but told my players they could either take a Healing Potion or the 45gp for that encounter.

This has worked out well and I plan to continue the campaign storyline by creating a series of MyRealms adventures involving (the spellplagued ghost of) Maerlyn, Snibit (the Imp) and the search for Halaster.

Cool solution, DML!

As for the prospect of continuing the story about Halaster's apprentice and Undermountain/Downshadow in general, you might check out my novel on the subject (titled Downshadow, no less) for some adventure ideas and the like.

www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/f...

Cheers

Thank you very much!
I have a question about the magic item's in the DDE.
Show
Where can I find the exact information on what they do? The GM hasn't copied them out for us so I think I need to add them as houseruled items. So far we have just found a necklace and a melee staff. On a related note why in the world is the implements power triggered by a melee attack? Was that an error in the adventure?
Some DMs have house ruled the items, some haven't. It looks like your DM hasn't.

So far the items haven't made their way into the compendium, and we honestly don't know if they will or won't. For now I'd suggest that you ask your DM for a copy of the page with the item on it, or at least give you a chance to copy down the info for the item in its completeness. If you were use the item outside DDE, folks may want to see the full description so you'd likely want at least the second and if possible, maybe the first.
LoFaD: That's come up in "Ask the Author" and elsewhere. The staff was changed during editing to be much more restrictive than its original design. Some of us are removing one or both limitations in-season (not just melee attacks and/or not just arcane powers), though it will have to use the 'official' stats if you want to port it over to LFR.

Thank you very much!

Thats Funny When I Poked admin, Was told that the items in the mod are no Greater deal than the Free non slot items given out in week 1-4 (if your DM played it correctly the items in this mod did not take a found slot)  The admin explained to me that it is highly unlikely anyone will have all 3 items since if teh DND Encounters is played correctly when an item is found it only goes to one player (not everyone) So getting the average 1.5 free bonus items is a "welcome to LFR" gift.