One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes

114 posts / 0 new
Last post
Holy crap, I haven't been back for a month!

For my sins, here's a double-helping today

Cosmic Enchantment (Surreal World-egg)

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this, but it looks stunning.  I'm sure I'll come up with something.

e411ea1a2955f82b476326601b724858.jpg

Orb of Power

This thing practically screams "ancient and powerful artifact."
It also reminds me of the Mirari, an artifact from the Magic universe that... well, caused lots of trouble.

With that in mind, the concept of such a powerful and dangerous item just... sitting there peacefully... is kind of unsettling.

samarkand_interior_by_Tonyholmsten.jpg

Up next is a pair of steam-punk-ish pictures I found while looking for Eberron-themed pictures.

Roman City

When I spotted this piece a week or two ago I was suddenly struck by how alien a scene like this might look in the average DnD world.

Praetorian_by_glazyrin.jpg

In my (admittedly limited) experience with DnD, cities are always dirty, sprawling, and overdeveloped.  Roads are narrow, and various street gangs/guilds are in charge of the lower city.
Buildings are small and have dozens of mysterious rooms.  Towering fortresses guard squabbling nobles and vast treasures.  Elements from all of mythology are twisted together to create a unique and fantastic world. 

Somehow, I think that might subtract from the power and majesty of the core classical mythology.

I'm not going to claim Rome didn't have squabbling nobles or hidden treasures, but Roman culture seems so much more open and organized.  According to my memory, most public structures were very open, with huge vaulted ceilings and strong pillars supporting gloriously detailed carved roofs.  I recall rigidly structured cities, everything planned in advance, and a highly efficient police force, firefighting crew, and military.

After finding this picture, I finally decided what my world's Island-Nation capital would look like.  They have a potent navy, little need for land-based fortresses, and the tropical location makes open breezeways quite attractive.
Apparently I'll be channeling Classical Rome. 
Weird how just a single picture can get you thinking like that. 

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Post-Atlantis (Egyptian Jungle)

I enjoy this painting because it's a great example of "take something well-known and make it your own."

It's funny how often real-world places or cultures are artificially "planted" in a fantastic world, just because it's easy to do.  Egypt is a particularly funny example, because "Almost-Egyptian" ruins/nations are always in the middle of the desert.

Well, this artist takes that troupe and turns it inside out.  This is still clearly an Almost-Egyptian nation (though to be fair I think the Atlantis archetype has very Egyptian themes anyway) and makes it unique.

This makes me wonder what Myan/Incan cultures could have become had they survived.

Post_Atlantis__Sacred_Lands_by_EyeSeeBlack.jpg

Elemental Chaos - Natural Buoyancy

So that's what randomly floating blobs of water look like.

The elemental chaos is probably way more... chaotic though.

b347abef0264616bd92648cf0d01304b.jpg

Dwarven Shipyard

Well, it looks like it to me, and that's what I'll be using it for.
Funny how I can't think of a single example of Dwarven coastal cities from any books.

fortress_by_artcobain.jpg

Church/Cathedral

No big story this time.  Just a nifty church.

Church_by_Togman_Studio.jpg

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

I love this thread.  Thanks for all your hard work.
Great idea, I love it.

Generic Fantasy Village

For some reason this actually has me thinking of two widely disparate images.  On the one hand I'm thinking about Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and on the other I've got the Witcher, which is one of the darker fantasy games I've played.

Landscape_by_emi_s.jpg

Hellscape

I actually grabbed this for a setting I'm fooling around with, where a world that hadn't seen magic for eons, has it suddenly and violently return.

Landscape_by_Edli.jpg

The zombies are in the trees...

It looks like the opening scene for almost any horror flick ever.  Bright colors abound, but the darkness is there in the background, waiting you swallow you whole.

Landscape_by_baranyai.jpg

Asiatic Harbor

A nice high vantage point always helps when you're scouting out a city, or building a shrine.

Landscape_by_agnidevi.jpg

Following this thread with interest, keep up the nice work!

I actually grabbed this for a setting I'm fooling around with, where a world that hadn't seen magic for eons, has it suddenly and violently return.

First of all, thanks for sharing!

You may find some interesting art in the recent Magic set "Conflux" which revolved around 5 seperate "shards" of a single world getting "fixed" and smashed all back together into a single plane.
Quite a bit of that art featured landscapes doing Dangerous Things, such as spontaniously catching fire, erupting, or just generally wreaking havoc.

Case in point: Zoltan Boros & Gabor Szikszai's Exploding Borders
www.boros-szikszai.com/picture/404/

For that matter, the block that started last fall, Zendikar, had a theme of lands coming to life and eating people.

Should this be of any interest to you, there's a Magic Card database website with scans of all the cards.  Browse the cards, then look up the artist, and you might find a somewhat-high-res version of the art.
Conflux Card Scans

List of all sets

Right'o, on with the show:

Since I'm already talking about Magic art, I'll also mention artist Jamie Jones, who seems to enjoy painting absurdly large monsters.  Like, really big monsters.  Bigger than that.  I mean landscape altering size.
Seriously.  Big.  Monsters.

I don't know if directly linking these images will work, but they are in the gallery I linked above.  Progenitus is on the last page, and is the arti I was particularly interested in sharing.  The other card is Uril, the Miststalker

Progenitus.jpg

121069%20The%20Walker%20in%20White%20final%202.jpg

Out There (Epic Scale)

I'm in the mood for Epic Scale today.

There isn't a lot to see in this picture, but the sense of scale is impressive.  Not only is the tiny figure standing on a precarious ledge, but that ledge itself is dwarfed by the enormous valey below.

Out_There_by_Gaius31duke.jpg

Terry Goodkind Castle

A large impressive-looking castle.  Part of it (the left side) looks abandoned.  I wonder why?

Terry_Goodkind___Phantom_by_Raphael_Lacoste.jpg

These are really spectacular. Thanks.
Hello again!

I speciffically set out to find more harsh evil-filled landscapes this past week, in an effort to counterballance the happy-glorious type of art I naturally gravitate to.

Interestingly, this caused me to stumble upon an artist known as synax444, who does quite a bit of surreal space-scape type art, similar to the aforementioned LemmyX.

Synax, however, tends to have much more... active space-scapes.
Below are some of my favorites, but basically his art often features something exploding, crashing through atmosphere, or just generally looking active.

Art of this genere is quite abstract, but I think it could be used for Astral Sea scenes, occasional Elemental Chaos landscapes, and probably quite a few spells.

Astral Specter of Death

I'm not entirely sure what to say.  This piece is stunning,foreboding, and inspiring.

The_Prophecy_Unfolds_by_synax444.png

Astral Explosion

For all your generic Explodey Space Object needs. 
Could also pass for an Elemental Chaos obstacle of some sort...

Means_Of_Existence_by_synax444.png

Astral Sea Viels

If this isn't a great portrait of Astral Sea Veils, I don't know what is.

Under_the_Waves_by_synax444.png

And now for what I was actually looking for! 

Lava Dungeon

Deugar lair perhaps?  Or baybe a more otherworldly building? 
Either way, I recommend not falling off the walkway.  It may result in a painful, fiery death.

Lava_environment_by_gregmks.jpg

The Gatekeeper

Those are some seriously huge candles.  Also, that staff appears to have a brain on it...
I suspect this figure has less than noble intentions...

The_gatekeeper_by_Grimdar.jpg

The Awakening (Elder Dragon)

Read the description/story. 
It's an idea I've had on occasion, but lack the artistic talent to share.  I think this does a fine job, despite the fact that this dragon looks like a gargantuan wyveren.

The_Awakening_by_Grimdar.jpg

Electrified Stones; or Arcane Minefield

I like the concept, and the glowing effect is quite impressive.

Messiah_Valley_by_Grimdar.jpg

[sblock=Mist Valey]

I'm still a sucker for interesting valleys and cities.

Mist_Valley_by_Grimdar.jpg

[sblock]

That first one is awesome for the cogs under Sharn in the Ebberon campaign setting. 

Once again I really like this collection and check back regulary. 
This week's theme is "The Hall of Knowledge" because I happened to find 3 solid pictures on the subject.

But first, a dark specter (Nazgul style) and a close relative of the Bridge of Kaza Dum (however that's spelled)

I'm not talking much today because I removed my keyboard keys to clean and haven't put them back yet.  Feels weird.

I love that chasm bridge. Just how I'd imagine a dwarven bridge to look.
Hmm, some of these images have proved useful inspiration for certain parts of the world I am working on. I find often though, that I have too much inspiration and not enough world top put all the environments I want in it. I suppose I can hypothetical add as much as I want, but I'm trying to keep my project on a manageable and easier to comprehend level. 

I shall try to post some of my own artwork here, but I don't have too many landscapes, and most of tehm don't fit into my scanner   
I know what you mean about too many ideas, but I've made a habit of writing down or bookmarking the half-formed ideas and looking at them later. 
Sometimes looking at things in a new light makes all the difference, and sometimes I get the urge to combine some pictures and create something new from that.

I'd love to see what you've come up with, though.

Just wanted to share a picture I found a moment ago, as it's been one of my favorite obscure topics for many years.  When I was working on an RPG in high school (that never matured beyond random notes in the margins of my notebooks), the legendary "Island Turtle" was critical to the plot.

I somehow (I honestly forget!) just learned the name of this creature earlier today, so I copied the name into a Google and DA search to see what I could find.

And I just found this awesome portrait!

Zaratanis

I tried to photoshop something like this a while back, but the angles never worked out and I finally gave up.  It just didn't match what was in my head.

I don't like the sun in the background, because I think it overwhelms the picture. 
I also don't like the mountain.  I can totally see a network of coral reefs growing on a melenia-old turtle, and sediment building up as birds/seals/whatever swim up on his back.  Limestone/granite (or whatever) mountians?  Notsomuch.

I kind of wish there was something in the picture for a scale comparison, but that would also fix it at a particular size.  As-is, the turtle could be a mile across or just a few hundered feet.

Having said all that, the subtle turtle shape under the water was beautifully executed.

Zaratanis_by_LoganGFX.jpg

This has been my desktop background for like five or six months. Sort of give evokes the feel of a good sized village in medieval Austria, in fact my German professor asked me if it was a picture of Austria. From what I gather however, it is purely fantasy. Lachin is some place in Azerbaijan, though I dont think this picture was based on that.

image.php?id=14055

Sorry its been a while since I have contributed to the forums, so I dont remember/know how to do the fancy show/hide thing!

credit: cggallery.itsartmag.com/image.php?id=140...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
wow fantastic
I found some landscapes I had scanned in. they're all older drawings, from a year or so ago. my newer ones are better. far more realistic and sophisticated. though part of the problem on these was the markers I was using

ow these are terrible compared to my new stuff, what progress I have made since last year
I'm actually kind of fond of markers.
You can actually do some pretty clever things by blending colors if you are quick enough.

I did something like that in high school for an art class and got a pretty good grade on it, despite the teacher's bias against using markers. 

I 'painted' something with a sunset, and used about 6 shades of blue-purle-black to fade across the page, using ling strokes to fade colors together and smudging the lines with a (barley) damp towel.
I also traced the actual focus of the picture in fine-point sharpie, so the outlines stood out.  It looked weirdly like a cartoon drawing, but with bolder, darker colors, and shades of colors rather than straight lines where the color changed.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!  These look pretty good, and now I'm curious to see what your new stuff looks like! 

And, since I seem to be swinging by briefly today, here's a pic I just found:

Kraken vs Ship

That's a rather monsterous and non-squid-like Kraken, but it actually works.  My money's on him anyway.

The_Kraken_attacks_by_Chongo_zilla.jpg

I just discovered the thread and already I have something to contribute.    The following is all promotional artwork that was released for the Assassin's Creed game launch.  Obviously, it is perfect for any homebrew game set during the crusades or any similar period in your game world.  I don't remember Ubisoft listing the artists with these, but perhaps it is on the game's site or even in the credits for those of you that have the game.  For those that like what they see, a larger image awaits behind every scaled one.

EDIT: Sorry about the privacy setting.  It's all been fixed now. Smile

Today's theme is caves, due largely to reading about Voronya Cave/seeing a map of it.

Pitfall!

Needless to say, this first on reminds me of the Pitfall games, on which I wasted many hours as a kid...

swiss_cave_by_jameswolf.jpg

Exit sign

There's nothing quite like being the only one to walk out of a long dungeon delve.  All the gold you could carry while fleeing for you life, the blood of your fallen comrades caked all over you, and the knowledge that in some tavern somewhere there's a bunch of fellow adventurers more than willing to help you seek vengance....

cave_by_88grzes.jpg 

Shrine

No cave, no matter how mundane, is complete without a shrine of its very own.

Cave_by_f0xyme.jpg

Sailboat

Sometimes the sea level rises, and screws your prospering goldmine, turning it into this...

The_Gold_Cave_100_year_later_by_Grivetart.jpg

With Great Caverns, Comes Great Evil

Or at least some things with glowing red eyes.

1da3562393089457aec32dc23ffa4bd1.jpg
Wow, that's a whole bunch of pix.  Thanks for sharing!

Today's bundle is a bunch of scenes from the Game of Thrones card game, based on the Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

This is an odd series, because fans are very devoted to the series, but in my experience many people haven't even heard of it. 
It's got to be the most low-tech, low-magic setting I've ever read, and the author is known for weaving a brutally honest and realistic story.
Main characters die.  Without warning.  There aren't many "bad guys," just a bunch of people with conflicting desires.

Anyway: pictures!

The Wall (of Ice)

The Wall is an ancient barricade near the northern edge of the continent.  It's made entirely of ice, and stretches all the way across the continent.

Walls that size aren't made on a whim, but the Wall's purpose has been lost to time, and it's fallen into disrepair.

A_song_of_fire_and_ice__wall_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Stronghold on the Wall

As I said, the fortifications along the wall are falling apart now.
Most nations consider it a place to send outlaws and/or disobedient troops, to get them out of sight.

Stronghold_on_the_wall_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Westwatch

I don't remember Westwatch, but that bridge sure does look well defended.
I think Westwatch might be part of the Wall, where it crosses through the mountians...

westwatch_by_the_bridge_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Grejoy Castle

The Grejoy castle is built next to the sea, and is designed to withstand squalls and sieges alike.

Damp and dreary at the best of times, much of the castle is built on precariously small islands, surounded by vicious tidal currents and sharp reefs.  You don't want to fall off those bridges.

Greyjoy__s_castle__ASOIAF____by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Naval Combat

Fire and Ice has a very low tech-level.
Swords, crossbows, and genuine knights describe most of the combat.

Naval technology is limited to "sink them with a pointy stick."  Which works, of course.

suicide_raider_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Great Septon (church)

The world's theology consists of seven gods, collectivley honored in something similar to Catholic style churches.

Priests are called Septons, and the word-play generated throughout the novels amuses me for some reason.

Great_septon_of_Baelor_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

Harenhal Ruins

Harenhal was a massive fortification built by some crazy guy to resist the Dragon Emperor's advance a handful of generations ago.  The fortress was one of the largest ever built, and effectivley impenitrable by mortal means.

Unfortunatly for the defenders, the apptly named Dragon Emporor had some dragons, so he had them set the place on fire for a day or two, until the stone itself melted.  So now the place is a bunch of ruins.

Later in the novels, a group of rogues take over the place as their de-facto HQ.  They don't spend any effort to clean up, so it's still ruins.  Just with people living in them.

Harenhal_by_MarcSimonetti.jpg

The only problem with the series is that he writes two books a decade.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Nice pics.  Some of them fantastic, in fact.  But may I suggest sblocks for formatting/loading?  You simply put {sblock} and {/sblock} where {} are really [].
The only problem with the series is that he writes two books a decade.

No kidding.  The next book was 'scheduled' to come out in July 2005 when I finished the current books. 

Thanks for the new submissions!  Now here's a bunch of Castle scenes:
Note: DA has changed their layout again, and the pictures no longer show up at Full Size when you click on them.  Don't forget to try the Download link to see the full size if it interests you. 

Catch me if you Can

I enjoy the motion captured in this pictrue, silohetted against the serene background.

Catch_me_if_you_can_by_gregmks.jpg

Flying Throneroom

I like how this isn't just a random earthmote someone decided to sail around; it's an earthmote from an ancient throneroom!

Lost_flying_throne_by_gregmks.jpg

Show

This caught my attention partly due to the odd archatecture.  It looks like some combination of Asian/Incan/Myan styles.

Asian_City_by_gregmks.jpg

Rock Castle

Ah, the good old Mountain Fortress.

For some reason this reminded me of the Cold War bunkers hidden throughout the Rocky Mtns.
I never really thought of that comparison before, but it seems appropriate.

Rock_Castle_by_gregmks.jpg

Dungeon Tower

This is a unique perspective, since towers are usually outside the caves, so I thought someone might find it nifty.

Old_tower_by_gregmks.jpg

Arabian-ish Lord's Estate

The comments describe it as a castle, but I see this as more of an Estate House for some lord or barron.  I'll have to find more like these...

Old_castle_by_gregmks.jpg

Nothing fancy just an unfinished drawing of an overlook on a rural trail. Single room settlement below in the valley. This thread has inspired me to get drawing again.

Cahrn
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
This thread rocks!. I apologize for not having any scenes to post, just bumping in the hopes that there will be more scenes to come.
Speaking of A Song of Fire and Ice, Cyanide Studio has started releasing concept art for the game they're developing based upon the series.  Perhaps it will inspire you.

I've recently finished a bunch of drawings, and I should have them uploaded fairly soon. 2 are in pencil and are a little bit generic as far as the scenery, but the 3rd one is a really detailed pen drawing of a flying city/castle/temple thing. I'm quite proud of that one.
These are amazing! For some reason I like page 3 the best...
WOOHOO! ALAN LEE AND JOHN HOWE!!!

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">This thread really needed a bump and new content.  So here are some cities:

Rebel Cities by momarkmagic

City of Splendors by Targete

Fate of Atlantis by alyn

Gravity Cities by Nuriiii

Strange Cities 3 by Astalo

Aina by KungFuAmadeus

The Nomad by IWarpbladeI
All of today's art is by one artist: Blinck over at deviantart.  Hope you enjoy.

Old Fortress

Ruins

Ship Graveyard

Shipwreck

The plan for next time will be fortresses.
here they are
Because it took me so long to get around to doing this, I have a ton of fortresses for you.  Without further ado:

Trutzburg by pixelpriester
Asgard by Nurkhular
Stronghold Fortress by luca540
A Fortress by ltramaral
LRRH: The Citadel by Changinghand
Fortress by Yamatani
The Fortress by ruxique
Impenetrable Fortress by balaa
Coast Fortress by latent-talent
Fortress by Pechu
Snow Fortress by RMP777
Towards the Forsaken Fortress by Prasa
Dwarf Fortress by Jonik9i
The Fortress of Grey Ice by MarcSimonetti
Twilight Fortress by Nurkhular
Guardia Fortress by Demonplay
Fortress Top Wiremesh by Sanberg
Ice Fortress by Sapiento
Hidden Fortress concept by Ztul
Next time I intend to do some nature scenes.  Maybe valleys, maybe rivers, maybe forests, maybe some of each.  Until next time, I hope some of these inspire some decent campaign locations for you.  Please let me know via PM if you have any requests.  Also, the only source I've used so far is deviantart.  I also know elfwood has some decent stuff.  If you know of other large catalogues of art please let me know because I'm new to this.
Sorry about my absence, I've been fighting against burnout and a busy schedule.

Thanks so much for keeping this thread alive!  I simply must use that "Coastal Fortress" as my Novijen Lighthouse! 

Waterfall Plaza

I like that plaza next to the waterfall.  If you look closely, you can see some windows in the mountain side underneath it.

waterfall_matte_painting_by_14_bis.jpg

If Rivendell were in Asia...

I still love the look of Asian architecture.  And this reminds me of Rivendell.  So yah.

Mountain_serenity_by_AndreeWallin.jpg

Lich or AvP Temple

I'm just sure this place is inhabited by a friendly old grandma who bakes cookies.  Right?

Sectarians_by_highdarktemplar.jpg

Dungeon

Strangely, Dungeon and Dragons has very few actual dungeons... mostly just elaborate caves or temples...

prison_by_gregmks-d30mry0.jpg

Apparently my last organized search was for lava landscapes, so here's some of those...

Lava Monastery

This instantly made me think of a Gith Monastery, forever poised on the brink of annihilation...

lava_lake_by_artbybin.jpg

Blue Lava

This reminds me of the Phazon from the Metroid Prime games.  What a great excuse to throw some horrible abombinations into the mix!

blue_lava_by_yunhyunjung.jpg

Flight

The idea expressed here amazes me. 
Flying a wood & canvas glider takes some guts.
Flying a wood & canvas glider over a rocky sea coast must require an amazing amount of trust.

Let__s_fly_by_gregmks.jpg

Cosmic Entertainment

This is way more abstract than my standard fare, but the colors are so rich I simply love it.

e411ea1a2955f82b476326601b724858.jpg

Lord of the Mountain

Not a landscape per-say, but I find it very intriguing and wanted to share. 

Lord_of_the_Mountian_by_torei.jpg

La Rochelle - Warship

I have no words for this awesomeness...

La_Rochelle_by_Radojavor.jpg

A few more, since I noticed I'm near the next checkpoint! 

Checkpoint

Sign In to post comments