Iona help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK so I tried to find out the answer on my own in the FAQ and only messed myself up even more.

Here is the situation.

opponent has Elvish Piper and uses the activated ability to bring in Iona and declares white.  I should be able to cast white spells in response to him delcaring he is activating the Piper like in this example Holy Day.  How does this work?  The part that I don't understand is becuase Iona says "As Iona comes into play" so I am not sure.  Help.  If there is a link to some place that explains this I would appreciate it.

Your opponent activates Elvish Piper's ability, and you get a chance to respond to the ability. At this time, you do not yet know what creature he will be putting onto the battlefield, and even if you suspect it will be iona, you don't know for certain what color will be chosen. Not a very good situation for you, but that's the way it is. If your opponent prematurely reveals what creature he will be putting onto the battlefield or what color he will be choosing, he is bound to that choice unless you respond.

Once you are done responding, elvish piper's ability resolves. In one swift motion, your opponent takes Iona from his hand and moves it to the battlefield, picking a color along the way. After this, you will get additional chances to play spells, but iona's ability is already in effect.

Technically, your opponent activates Piper (without specifying what he puts on the field) and you can respond to it. However, he indicated that he was putting out Iona. On the one hand he jumped ahead so you can back him up and play Holy Day, but then he can put a different creature out (he's not stuck with Iona) if he wants.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

At the point he announces he's activating Elvish Piper's ability, you shouldn't know what the creature is that he's putting in. You can cast anything you want in response to the ability.

When the ability resolves, Iona enters the battlefield. As it enters the battlefield, he names a color, and then you can no longer cast spells of that color. There is no time when Iona is actually on the 'field that you aren't prevented from casting spells of the chosen color. 

Of course, if your opponent goofed and revealed Iona as he activated the Piper, before you had a chance to respond, he gave you information that you can use however you wish. (Note that he isn't locked in to putting Iona in play just because he showed it to you; he's free to drop Progenitus or whatever instead.) 
(Note that he isn't locked in to putting Iona in play just because he showed it to you; he's free to drop Progenitus or whatever instead.) 

If he said he's putting iona onto the battlefield, then that's what he's doing (unless the opponent responds).

4.2       Tournament Shortcuts

[...] 

• If a player casts a spell or activates an ability and announces choices for it that are not normally made until resolution, the player must adhere to those choices unless an opponent responds to that spell or ability. If an opponent inquires about choices made during resolution, that player is assumed to be passing priority and allowing that spell or ability to resolve.

If he said he's putting iona onto the battlefield, then that's what he's doing (unless the opponent responds).

Of course. I was assuming, based on the line of questioning, that he was responding.

Sign In to post comments